Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #691 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Cool. Glad they got this straightened out. Still bummed Vudu stopped giving UV rights for these imports, since my share accounts won't see any of these that I may redeem on iTunes. This will really sting if/when Vudu adds more studios to UHD - right now they have so many WB titles and those don't have iTunes codes. I guess I could get the two Fifty Shades movies......nah
I've just been redeeming WB titles via MA. Mainly because I know it will go straight into VUDU with UHD rights. After the Sony fiasco redeeming on myUV.com, I'm giving up on UV. But then I don't share my library with others so no big loss.
nathan_h likes this.

Last edited by Sam S; 10-25-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
I've just been redeeming WB titles via MA. I'm giving up on UV. But then I don't share my library with others so no big loss.
Yeah, that's my only issue right now is the sharing. I'd do the same as you if I didn't share with some family and friends. Wish MA would have a real sharing program (although it's still missing too many titles from studios that aren't in yet).
post #693 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)
Liked: 751
So I understand why Hacksaw Ridge didn't port over to MA, iTunes, etc since that publisher didn't sign up for MA. However, Goodfellas hasn't ported out of Vudu for me either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Couple questions. I don’t have an Apple TV 4k yet, but plan on one soon.

1) Can I hit bargain bins and buy Blu Ray’s for $1, use the Vudu D2D program, Movies Anywhere, and view their 4k counterparts in iTunes?

2) Is there a method of checking the true resolution that content is streaming in through the Apple TV? To 1) verify if an iTunes 4k film is indeed being streamed and 2) check any other video service stream quality. I question this since the box is locked into 4k/HDR, therefore my Vizio SmartCast app will not reflect streamed resolutions.

3) Assuming UV/Vudu purchases all do transfer their 4k counterparts to iTunes, would it be safe to say there’s really no reason to ever purchase 4k movies through iTunes unless you want an immediate release? Instead, wait for price drops on UHD Blu Ray’s that are code redeemable, or digital Vudu sales. Seems like a no brainer right?
post #695 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post
Couple questions. I don’t have an Apple TV 4k yet, but plan on one soon.

1) Can I hit bargain bins and buy Blu Ray’s for $1, use the Vudu D2D program, Movies Anywhere, and view their 4k counterparts in iTunes?

2) Is there a method of checking the true resolution that content is streaming in through the Apple TV? To 1) verify if an iTunes 4k film is indeed being streamed and 2) check any other video service stream quality. I question this since the box is locked into 4k/HDR, therefore my Vizio SmartCast app will not reflect streamed resolutions.

3) Assuming UV/Vudu purchases all do transfer their 4k counterparts to iTunes, would it be safe to say there’s really no reason to ever purchase 4k movies through iTunes unless you want an immediate release? Instead, wait for price drops on UHD Blu Ray’s that are code redeemable, or digital Vudu sales. Seems like a no brainer right?
1) No. D2D tops out at HDX. Any movies porting into iTunes will play in iTunes in the original quality. Ports in don't qualify for any free 4K upgrade. But otherwise D2D is a great way for cheap movies. Hit bargain bins, libraries, borrow discs, etc.

2) When playing an iTunes video, swipe down to show the info bar and it will say either HD or 4K. You can also activate developer mode if you have a Mac with Xcode to get detailed stats for all video streams playing.

3) Depends - iTunes can have aggressive sales, so you could buy in iTunes and have it port UHD to Vudu (if available in Vudu). Note that any ports into Vudu will not get UV rights. You can save some good money buying cheaper iTunes direct redeem codes and get the iTunes 4K that way (and UHD in Vudu if you didn't already own a copy - but no UV).
nathan_h likes this.

Last edited by kbmb; 10-25-2017 at 04:53 PM.
post #696 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 6118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Another way to think about it: iTunes doesn’t sell UHD movies. They sell HD and if they have UHD it will stream that way. I know it seems like you are buying UHD but it doesn’t port anywhere as UHD and various titles have had the UHD streaming disappear, eg, Alien Covenenat, and Apple doesn’t offer a refund because they only sold you HD rights. The UHD version is a courtesy.

http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/5242...sanywhere.html

Apple has been clever here. By selling the HD rights, it keeps the user in iTunes exclusively to enjoy the 4k upgrade. As I’ve thought about this, it also gives Apple the ability to fend off any complaints about streaming quality below 4k, especially now that they have adaptive streaming (and the fact that we didn’t technically buy 4k).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nathan_h likes this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #697 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Apple has been clever here. By selling the HD rights, it keeps the user in iTunes exclusively to enjoy the 4k upgrade. As I’ve thought about this, it also gives Apple the ability to fend off any complaints about streaming quality below 4k, especially now that they have adaptive streaming (and the fact that we didn’t technically buy 4k).

The post you quoted is erroneous. You do buy/redeem 4K content from iTunes/Apple. It even states as such in your iTunes Purchase history, indicating 4K where applicable, vs. regular HD.
post #698 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 6118
Quote:
The post you quoted is erroneous. You do buy/redeem 4K content from iTunes/Apple. It even states as such in your iTunes Purchase history, indicating 4K where applicable, vs. regular HD.

Based on how things were, even just a few days ago, his statements appeared true. Tonite, I’m seeing some new indicators and frankly It appears to be a work in process.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #699 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service

Similar to Sony’s business model. I had a number of Sony UHD UV rights, but it meant nothing unless I had a Sony TV with the Sony Ultra app. Vudu doesn’t have hardly any of Sony’s movies in UHD.

Last edited by cydeweyz; 10-25-2017 at 07:02 PM.
post #700 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
1) No. D2D tops out at HDX. Any movies porting into iTunes will play in iTunes in the original quality. Ports in don't qualify for any free 4K upgrade. But otherwise D2D is a great way for cheap movies. Hit bargain bins, libraries, borrow discs, etc.

2) When playing an iTunes video, swipe down to show the info bar and it will say either HD or 4K. You can also activate developer mode if you have a Mac with Xcode to get detailed stats for all video streams playing.

3) Depends - iTunes can have aggressive sales, so you could buy in iTunes and have it port UHD to Vudu (if available in Vudu). Note that any ports into Vudu will not get UV rights. You can save some good money buying cheaper iTunes direct redeem codes and get the iTunes 4K that way (and UHD in Vudu if you didn't already own a copy - but no UV).
Thanks for the response!

1) Got it. Will a UHD UV/MA redeemed title port over to iTunes in UHD? I guess that’s where I assumed HDX ports would ‘upgrade’ to 4k, since it seemed Apple has treated HD/4k as the same essentially.

2) Got it.

3) I thought I had read that UHD ports the opposite way, iTunes to MA, will not port over in UHD? Any chance you can share some great outlets to purchase iTunes redeems and any other methods to score on UHD titles at the best bang for buck. Thanks!
post #701 of 772 Old 10-26-2017, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post
Thanks for the response!

1) Got it. Will a UHD UV/MA redeemed title port over to iTunes in UHD? I guess that’s where I assumed HDX ports would ‘upgrade’ to 4k, since it seemed Apple has treated HD/4k as the same essentially.

2) Got it.

3) I thought I had read that UHD ports the opposite way, iTunes to MA, will not port over in UHD? Any chance you can share some great outlets to purchase iTunes redeems and any other methods to score on UHD titles at the best bang for buck. Thanks!
1) MA has stated that if you redeem or buy a UHD title, that it will port to all services that have it in UHD. So if it's in UHD at Vudu and you buy/redeem, that will go to iTunes in UHD (same the other way). Apple made it clear last week that only direct redeems/purchases qualify for the free upgrade. You can read more about it here: http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/5242...sanywhere.html

Basically if Vudu has it in UHD, then it should port. Problem is Vudu needs to expand their catalog.

For Sony redeems since those can't be done directly in iTunes. If you have to redeem at Sony and it's a UHD code, then Vudu needs to have it in UHD or it won't port to iTunes. Since the process would go Sony -> Vudu -> MA -> iTunes. If anywhere along the chain doesn't have UHD, then you wouldn't get UHD in iTunes. It's confusing.

3) As long as you don't already own the title in Vudu, if you redeem directly on iTunes or buy on iTunes, and both Vudu and iTunes have it in UHD, then the UHD will port. I bought I am Legend on iTunes and I get it in 4K on iTunes and UHD in Vudu. Others here like @Sam S have redeemed codes and gotten the UHD in Vudu. NOTE that if you care about UV and sharing at Vudu, redeems outside of Vudu will not get the UV license. This also won't work to upgrade titles in Vudu unless you can manage to delete them completely and that can be a pain between Vudu and UV.
post #702 of 772 Old 10-26-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Based on how things were, even just a few days ago, his statements appeared true. Tonite, I’m seeing some new indicators and frankly It appears to be a work in process.

I hope they solve this. That would be great!
post #703 of 772 Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Where should i redeem the digital code on the Close Encounters UHD disk? MA or Vudu, so that I get 4k at Apple and Vudu?
post #704 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Where should i redeem the digital code on the Close Encounters UHD disk? MA or Vudu, so that I get 4k at Apple and Vudu?
On MA. Vudu does not currently have the 4K stream, however. Vudu only has two Sony UHD MA titles.

Vudu needs to get their act in gear and deliver us with the entire Sony UHD library. Dolby Vision is not an obstacle as previously thought...all Sony UHD titles on iTunes have DV for their HDR titles...which is a current qualification for Vudu UHD content.
post #705 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
On MA. Vudu does not currently have the 4K stream, however. Vudu only has two Sony UHD MA titles.

Vudu needs to get their act in gear and deliver us with the entire Sony UHD library. Dolby Vision is not an obstacle as previously thought...all Sony UHD titles on iTunes have DV for their HDR titles...which is a current qualification for Vudu UHD content.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=526801264

Row H shows MA redeem
post #706 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Skunkbeard & @wxchaser , thanks!

I'll bookmark that spreadsheet. Very useful.

QQ: I already have a copy on Vudu of the HD version and of course that ported over to iTunes. Will that interfere with MA "upgrading" my iTunes copy to 4k? If so, is there a step I should take first to prevent that problem?
post #707 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
@Skunkbeard & @wxchaser , thanks!

I'll bookmark that spreadsheet. Very useful.

QQ: I already have a copy on Vudu of the HD version and of course that ported over to iTunes. Will that interfere with MA "upgrading" my iTunes copy to 4k? If so, is there a step I should take first to prevent that problem?
Glad you found it helpful, I bookmarked it as well - pretty handy as a guide.
post #708 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Wonder Woman UHD 4K Digital Code at VUDU today $9.99

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#!conten...der-Woman-2017

mark
aaronwt likes this.
post #709 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

mark

iTunes as well. Got it there and shows up in UHD for me on VUDU.

Edit: Is this unintended? I thought “HD” movie purchases on iTunes don’t port to UHD on VUDU.

Last edited by ZephyrForza79; 10-27-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #710 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lots of us thought that and it was working that way for a while, but I'm glad to see that has been resolved!
post #711 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Lots of us thought that and it was working that way for a while, but I'm glad to see that has been resolved!

Well Argo and the Bourne Trilogy have yet to port over in UHD to VUDU. I think it is hit or miss and I don’t think we got a solid statement from VUDU regarding “HD” movies purchases from iTunes that are 4K-eligible in iTunes. I would like to think the WW (someone mentioned Kong Skull Island worked I think) being available in UHD is not a fluke but IDK.
post #712 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrForza79 View Post
Well Argo and the Bourne Trilogy have yet to port over in UHD to VUDU. I think it is hit or miss and I don’t think we got a solid statement from VUDU regarding “HD” movies purchases from iTunes that are 4K-eligible in iTunes. I would like to think the WW (someone mentioned Kong Skull Island worked I think) being available in UHD is not a fluke but IDK.
What ported to Vudu.....HD only?
post #713 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
What ported to Vudu.....HD only?

I don’t quite understand your question? Argo and the Bourne Trilogy (purchased in iTunes before MA) shows up in HDX only in VUDU but iTunes and VUDU have UHD versions.
nathan_h likes this.
post #714 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don’t quite understand your question? Argo and the Bourne Trilogy (purchased in iTunes before MA) shows up in HDX only in VUDU but iTunes and VUDU have UHD versions.
Yes that answers my question. Was curious what, if anything ported over. Has anyone reported getting the UHD at Vudu for purchases made PRIOR to MA? I didn't have any movies only in iTunes before MA, so I can't tell. I just know that since MA, purchases/redeems are porting over in UHD.
post #715 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So with all of this confusion around how codes transfer from itunes to Vudu, does anyone know if you (assuming you DO NOT have an Apple TV 4K) buy a movie directly from itunes, will it still transfer in UHD to Vudu?

So for example, if I buy Kong: Skull Island or I Am Legend from itunes through, say a desktop, will it transfer to UHD on Vudu? Or do you actually need to have an Apple TV 4K to first upgrade your purchase, and then send it through to Vudu as UHD?
post #716 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacbo14 View Post
So with all of this confusion around how codes transfer from itunes to Vudu, does anyone know if you (assuming you DO NOT have an Apple TV 4K) buy a movie directly from itunes, will it still transfer in UHD to Vudu?

So for example, if I buy Kong: Skull Island or I Am Legend from itunes through, say a desktop, will it transfer to UHD on Vudu? Or do you actually need to have an Apple TV 4K to first upgrade your purchase, and then send it through to Vudu as UHD?
I bought I am Legend with iTunes on the Mac and it ported in UHD fine.
jacbo14 likes this.
post #717 of 772 Old 10-27-2017, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

mark
Blade Runner is $14.99 as well

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#!conten...-The-Final-Cut

Last edited by jacbo14; 10-27-2017 at 02:22 PM.
post #718 of 772 Old 10-28-2017, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
iTunes as well. Got it there and shows up in UHD for me on VUDU.

Edit: Is this unintended? I thought “HD” movie purchases on iTunes don’t port to UHD on VUDU.
I just bought it on iTunes, and it's in UHD on VUDU for me too.

Vizio P65-C1
Denon AVR-X3300W, Polk RTi4 Fronts, Polk CSi3 Center, BIC F12 Subwoofer.
post #719 of 772 Old 10-29-2017, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 194
So I purchased Annabelle Creation from VUDU in UHD Dolby Vision and it has not ported over to itunes, amazon or Google Play. The studio I believe is New Line. Are they not participation in Movies Anywhere, or is it just a timing thing and I'll eventually see it?

LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F/SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
post #720 of 772 Old 10-29-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
So I purchased Annabelle Creation from VUDU in UHD Dolby Vision and it has not ported over to itunes, amazon or Google Play. The studio I believe is New Line. Are they not participation in Movies Anywhere, or is it just a timing thing and I'll eventually see it?
So I ended up calling movies anywhere and they were able to get the movie ported over on their end. I can see it everywhere now.
nathan_h likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , movies now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page