AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2925626-disney-launches-movies-anywhere-streaming-service.html)

imagic 10-12-2017 06:40 AM

Multi-Studio Movies Anywhere Streaming Movie Locker Service Launches

It's not every day that a streaming service with the potential to disrupt the entire AV entertainment industry launches. But today is such a day, thanks to the debut of Disney's Movies Anywhere. This new service encompasses five studios—Disney, Fox, Sony, Universal, and Warner Bros.—and promises to consolidate your existing owned content from Amazon video, Google play, iTunes, and Vudu.

Click this link to read more: Movies Anywhere Multi-Studio Streaming Service Launches Today

GordonTV 10-12-2017 06:49 AM

imagic 10-12-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonTV (Post 54940374)

Thank you for the link to the other thread. This post will serve as the comments section for the article I'm writing. Cheers.

Mr.G 10-12-2017 08:39 AM

I've already linked three - Amazon, Google Play and iTunes - however VUDU (700+ movies in my account) is not linking for some reason.

Multiple tries, finally left message with VUDU support.

Mr.G 10-12-2017 08:42 AM

For those with Roku's the Movies Anywhere channel is here.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/186362

Mr.G 10-12-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 54940336)
It's not every day that a streaming service with the potential to disrupt the entire AV entertainment industry launches. But today is such a day, thanks to the debut of Disney's Movies Anywhere. This new service encompasses five studios—Disney, Fox, Sony, Universal, and Warner Bros.—and promises to consolidate your existing owned content from Amazon video, Google play, iTunes, and Vudu.

Click this link to read more: (under construction)

Why is this a Disney launch? I read it was a services merger.

imagic 10-12-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.G (Post 54940978)
I've already linked three - Amazon, Google Play and iTunes - however VUDU (700+ movies in my account) is not linking for some reason.

Multiple tries, finally left message with VUDU support.

Message says Vudu linking should start working by 1 PM Eastern time. At first I was like whaaaat? Only 7 titles? Lol. :eek:

imagic 10-12-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.G (Post 54941024)
Why is this a Disney launch? I read it was a services merger.

Disney spearheaded it and according to this, still owns it:

Here's a quote from another article: "While the service — which is wholly separate from Disney’s planned OTT streaming services — is owned by Disney, it has an advisory committee with representatives of the other studios." Credit: deadline.com by Dade Hayes and Anthony D'Alessandro, October 11, 2017 9:00pm

GordonTV 10-12-2017 09:11 AM

Wish this was a streaming service like Netflix. I would rather pay a set monthly fee to be able to stream any of the movies these studios offer up. I just don't buy movies anymore so a service like this is pretty much moot for me.

puddy77 10-12-2017 09:17 AM

Vudu is now linking.

pkeegan 10-12-2017 09:19 AM

I was able to link Disney Movies Anywhere but no other services.

1:30pm I was now able to link my VUDU account and see its populated films.

imagic 10-12-2017 09:24 AM

Not loving the HDCP error when using a desktop PC with a non-HDCP monitor.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/imageh...f978bf17de.jpg

Not loving the picture quality on my PC laptop, and I know bandwidth is not the issue—not on my end anyhow.

Looks good on my iPad Pro, and it lets me cast to Google Chromecast.

arftech 10-12-2017 09:34 AM

Can't link VUDU. :mad:

imagic 10-12-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arftech (Post 54941356)
Can't link VUDU. :mad:

Still 25 minutes before when they say that will be working...

Kadath 10-12-2017 09:40 AM

Whaaaah, my thread got eclipsed =p

OK, so on my Vudu account I have a sub account to a family member, Jeff. I get most of the movies Jeff buys and Jeff gets all the movies I buy. Jeff is not seeing any of my itunes stuff now that we are connected. Jeff also has his hown iTunes and Google and Amazon accounts.

How do we reconcile these sub accounts with MA?

Mashie Saldana 10-12-2017 09:41 AM

US only so still unable to get VUDU content here in the UK. :frown:

MarkMul1 10-12-2017 09:42 AM

Good start.

Anyone have a way to get their UV library to Itunes to watch on new Apple TV? I've held out getting new Apple TV for now.

At first I thought this would do it but then as i kept reading and seeing posts i figured out i jumped the gun.

Edit: Super bonus would be UHD and Atmos at the same time..........The holy grail

Thanks

Kadath 10-12-2017 09:45 AM

Yeah that's the whole point. Your UV collection now shows in iTunes and your iTunes collection shows in Vudu.

MarkMul1 10-12-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadath (Post 54941456)
Yeah that's the whole point. Your UV collection now shows in iTunes and your iTunes collection shows in Vudu.

OK

I guess i read wrong about PC player and issues. I thought you had to use their app to play things. If it really allows you to watch vudu stuff in Itunes that would be great.

I'll re read, so if there is a player on Roku why would you use that and not vudu?

Kadath 10-12-2017 09:58 AM

You can use any of the following to see your entire collection, if you connect them all:
iTunes, Apple TV, iPhone etc
Vudu app (on, say, a roku) and website
Google Play App pr website
Amazon Prime App or website
Movies Anywhere App or website

imagic 10-12-2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkMul1 (Post 54941474)
OK

I guess i read wrong about PC player and issues. I thought you had to use their app to play things. If it really allows you to watch vudu stuff in Itunes that would be great.

I'll re read, so if there is a player on Roku why would you use that and not vudu?

I want to know more about the streaming quality before deciding it's equivalent to Vudu streaming quality. There is the issue of it movies not made by the participating studios (granted a lot of movies do come from those.)

Nothing here indicates you'd ever be able to watch a Vudu purchase using iTunes (i.e. the app).

MarkMul1 10-12-2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadath (Post 54941580)
You can use any of the following to see your entire collection, if you connect them all:
iTunes, Apple TV, iPhone etc
Vudu app (on, say, a roku) and website
Google Play App pr website
Amazon Prime App or website
Movies Anywhere App or website

OK

Ive re read 3 different places and I see that you can link all of these things and view with their free app. Anyone who has actually seen UV / VUDU show up in their Itunes library or reverse of that please post. It would be fantastic but thats not what I'm reading. Id like to be wrong.

MarkMul1 10-12-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 54941610)
I want to know more about the streaming quality before deciding it's equivalent to Vudu streaming quality. There is the issue of it movies not made by the participating studios (granted a lot of movies do come from those.)

Nothing here indicates you'd ever be able to watch a Vudu purchase using iTunes (i.e. the app).

Got it, your post must of gone thru while i was typing. Again, i would like to be wrong.

Kadath 10-12-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkMul1 (Post 54941612)
OK

Ive re read 3 different places and I see that you can link all of these things and view with their free app. Anyone who has actually seen UV / VUDU show up in their Itunes library or reverse of that please post. It would be fantastic but thats not what I'm reading. Id like to be wrong.

?Yes, that's what we are telling you over and over. I can play my Vudu collection on my iphone in the TV app right now.

MarkMul1 10-12-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadath (Post 54941674)
?Yes, that's what we are telling you over and over. I can play my Vudu collection on my iphone in the TV app right now.

10-4

Im happy to be wrong, i was just reading others in the HDR forum saying they see their vuvu stuff in Itunes.

Sweet

imagic 10-12-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadath (Post 54941456)

I see no evidence of this. My iTunes movie collection remains the same, as does my Vudu collection.

What functionality do you expect aside from being able to play movies from the five participating studios through the dedicated Movies Anywhere app?

Well I'll be... look at that Amazon collection, populated with Vudu.

curlyjive 10-12-2017 10:23 AM

So linking your Vudu and iTunes accounts to this shouldn't change where your existing purchases "live" correct? It' just makes them more accessible in more places? Or does it actually take ownership of the titles you have in Vudu?

imagic 10-12-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyjive (Post 54941754)
So linking your Vudu and iTunes accounts to this shouldn't change where your existing purchases "live" correct? It' just makes them more accessible in more places? Or does it actually take ownership of the titles you have in Vudu?

Seems that's what it does, consolidate pre-existing purchases from the five studios and four stores in one place.

curlyjive 10-12-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 54941770)
Seems that's what it does, consolidate pre-existing purchases from the five studios and four stores in one place.

I don't see too much benefit in that. Kinda what Vudu does for me now, since I have Disney movies and UV linked to VUDU as it is. Vudu is pretty much on any platform I want and the quality is the best I have seen for streaming movies so far.

imagic 10-12-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyjive (Post 54941794)
I don't see too much benefit in that. Kinda what Vudu does for me now, since I have Disney movies and UV linked to VUDU as it is. Vudu is pretty much on any platform I want and the quality is the best I have seen for streaming movies so far.

Yeah, there's not much that's gonna get me away from Vudu, I stopped buying stuff on iTunes a while ago. I agree Vudu quality and reliability have been the best overall. And now, UHD titles with Atmos have really great fidelity.

Update: I guess when you connect the accounts, they really do cross-pollinate. I'm surprised and pleased.