Dune HD Pro 4K (Ultra) Thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1790Likes

post #3001 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex5723 View Post
"Incidentally it's worth noting that Windows 10 disabled the Guest Account, so if the Dune is attempting access via the Guest Account, Windows 10 will reject it.
"

Yes, Dune connects using Guest account with no password.

PS. Windows 10 also removed WORKGROUP.

" and setup the smb access from the Dune to use that account&password."

Its not possible.

Went over Event Log - Security. Nothing regarding Dune/OPENWRT/SMB...
If you see no access attempts that appears to indicate no attempt has been made to access the share ???
Could there be network problem ???

The removal of WORKGROUP is irrelevant, access is via IP
You should be able to create a new user/ password on Windows 10 and setup Dune’s SMB access to use that account.
See the last paragraph of the procedure below.
You need to ensure that the new user has read access to the SMB share.

But, if you can’t do it for the Dune, Zidoo won’t work either if it uses the Guest account.

Connecting Network Folder Using SMB Protocol

In the "New Netowk Folder" dialog, perform the following steps:

Set the "Server" field to the server IP address. E.g. "10.0.0.2".

When connecting to a Windows PC, the required IP address can be found in the network connection properties on a Windows PC.
Set the "Folder" field to the name of a shared folder (having proper access rights) on an SMB server. E.g. "VIDEO".

When connecting to a Windows PC, the name of the shared folder can be found in the properties of a folder on a Windows PC.
The name of a shared folder which is exposed to the network (so-called network name) may differ from its name on a hard drive; you should use the network name. If the SMB server requires user name and password, specify those values in respective fields (in most cases those are not required).

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 09-01-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
If you see no access attempts that appears to indicate no attempt has been made to access the share ???
Could there be network problem ???

The removal of WORKGROUP is irrelevant, access is via IP
You should be able to create a new user/ password on Windows 10 and setup Dune’s SMB access to use that account.
See the last paragraph of the procedure below.
You need to ensure that the new user has read access to the SMB share.

But, if you can’t do it for the Dune, Zidoo won’t work either if it uses the Guest account.

Connecting Network Folder Using SMB Protocol

In the "New Netowk Folder" dialog, perform the following steps:

Set the "Server" field to the server IP address. E.g. "10.0.0.2".

When connecting to a Windows PC, the required IP address can be found in the network connection properties on a Windows PC.
Set the "Folder" field to the name of a shared folder (having proper access rights) on an SMB server. E.g. "VIDEO".

When connecting to a Windows PC, the name of the shared folder can be found in the properties of a folder on a Windows PC.
The name of a shared folder which is exposed to the network (so-called network name) may differ from its name on a hard drive; you should use the network name. If the SMB server requires user name and password, specify those values in respective fields (in most cases those are not required).
I know about Connecting Network Folder Using SMB Protocol and I don't like to use it as I add, remove, change shared folders.
The Dune 4K connected to my previous Windows 7 without setting "New Network Folder" and I want it to remain so.

I will try activate a GUEST account (I am using Windows 10 Pro).

ps. The laptop "sees" the Dune and I have access to the files and can copy files to an attached HDD.
post #3003 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know about Connecting Network Folder Using SMB Protocol and I don't like to use it as I add, remove, change shared folders.
The Dune 4K connected to my previous Windows 7 without setting "New Network Folder" and I want it to remain so.

ps. The laptop "sees" the Dune and I have access to the files and can copy files to an attached HDD.
You have a problem.
You won’t be able to reinstate the guest account.

But you could try.......
net user guest /active yes

From an Admistrator command dialog

Take care, some of the so called solutions are risky.

If there are no entries in the security log is the Dune even attempting access.
Could there be a network problem?

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 09-01-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3004 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
"The Dune 4k Pro seems superior to the Zidoo for three things: "

Does the Zidoo connect to a Windows 10 laptop over wired network using SMB, as my Dune 4K doesn't.

My Dune 4K sees my Synology NAS just fine but when I use Kodi I have not been able to connect to my NAS with the Dune or Zidoo. But I can connect to my Western digital NAS with no problem using Kodi.

Edit: I figured out how to connect to the Synolgy NAS using Kodi. I had to use the "Add network location" then just add the "server name" which you can browse for or type in. Then I just had to add the name of the folder location that stored the movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420

Last edited by farsider3000; 09-01-2018 at 02:24 PM.
post #3005 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
You have a problem.
You won’t be able to reinstate the guest account.

But you could try.......
net user guest /active yes

From an Admistrator command dialog

Take care, some of the so called solutions are risky.

If there are no entries in the security log is the Dune even attempting access.
Could there be a network problem?
I hope one of these hacks will do :-)

https://www.howto-connect.com/window...guest-account/

"If there are no entries in the security log is the Dune even attempting access.
Could there be a network problem?"

The router sees Dune, Windows 10 sees Dune and has access to the device so I don't think its a network problem.

Last edited by alex5723; 09-01-2018 at 01:49 PM.
post #3006 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

I myself don't use Guest for SMB as it did not work..

I had to use Everyone as the user name..

So in my share in windows. I added Everyone as the allowed name, and gave it all permissions..
Now works great with no password
post #3007 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

So in my share in windows. I added Everyone as the allowed name, and gave it all permissions..
Sounds like a good workaround.
I’m using Windows 2012R2 with NFS. The guest account works OK.
But that solution won’t Help the user with the problem as he doesn’t want to have to specify a username in the SMB settings on the Dune.
post #3008 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:

I also have added Everyone with full permission to my shared folders, but how do you change GUEST on the Dune to Everyone ?
post #3009 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I also have added Everyone with full permission to my shared folders, but how do you change GUEST on the Dune to Everyone ?
“If the SMB server requires user name and password, specify those values in respective fields (in most cases those are not requIrked).”

But you rejected that solution as you didn’t want to have to specify a username.
post #3010 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
“If the SMB server requires user name and password, specify those values in respective fields (in most cases those are not requIrked).”

But you rejected that solution as you didn’t want to have to specify a username.
I can't add GUEST as a user name in shared folders as it is inactive.
I can't add a new user to the shared folders as there is no way (I know of) to add/change user on Dune 4K (Dune 4K replaced Dune HD 3D which worked out-of-the-box with Windows 7:-)

It is getting late here and I will try tomorrow to run some network trace to if I can catch the problem.

Thanks.
post #3011 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 2158
Quote:
I did not as I don't know what to look for.
Have you tried a Windows forum?? You'll probably get better responses there, since you've been struggling with Windows issues.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #3012 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can't add GUEST as a user name in shared folders as it is inactive.
I can't add a new user to the shared folders as there is no way (I know of) to add/change user on Dune 4K (Dune 4K replaced Dune HD 3D which worked out-of-the-box with Windows 7:-)

It is getting late here and I will try tomorrow to run some network trace to if I can catch the problem.

Thanks.

It's odd that you don't see Windows 10 rejecting the Dune access request in the Windows security log.

Windows 10 is much more locked down than Windows 7 (On Windows 7 the guest account was available).
This link indicates that restoring the guest account may not be possible https://www.digitalcitizen.life/you-...10-stop-trying

There is a contradictory link here https://techjourney.net/cannot-conne...in-windows-10/
which provides info on re-enabling the Guest account via the registry, but the article contains this statement.....

Microsoft recommended to add an explicit user account and password on your NAS device or remote server which hosts the shared folders or remote file access, and use that account for the connections.

I know it's not the ideal solution but maybe it's worth trying to create a new user on Windows 10, give the user read access to the smb share and setup the smb user field on the Dune.
That would at least allow you to verify that the Dune was able to access the smb share.

If you Turn Off password protect sharing option in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings you don't need to set the password for the user in smb on the Dune.

Hope you can get it working.

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 09-01-2018 at 04:56 PM.
post #3013 of 6255 Old 09-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
It's odd that you don't see Windows 10 rejecting the Dune access request in the Windows security log.

Windows 10 is much more locked down than Windows 7 (On Windows 7 the guest account was available).
This link indicates that restoring the guest account may not be possible https://www.digitalcitizen.life/you-...10-stop-trying

There is a contradictory link here https://techjourney.net/cannot-conne...in-windows-10/
which provides info on re-enabling the Guest account via the registry, but the article contains this statement.....

Microsoft recommended to add an explicit user account and password on your NAS device or remote server which hosts the shared folders or remote file access, and use that account for the connections.

I know it's not the ideal solution but maybe it's worth trying to create a new user on Windows 10, give the user read access to the smb share and setup the smb user field on the Dune.
That would at least allow you to verify that the Dune was able to access the smb share.

If you Turn Off password protect sharing option in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings you don't need to set the password for the user in smb on the Dune.

I wouldn't enable the Guest Account if you put a Gun to my Head.
It's a security flaw.
post #3014 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:

"and setup the smb user field on the Dune"

I can't find a user setup filed on the Dune. If I could I would have changed that to the Everyone user.

"If you Turn Off password protect sharing option in"

Password is turned off in: Control Panel-Network and Internet-Network and Sharing Center-Advanced sharing settings.

At first attempts to connect the Dune to the laptop I got this screen. I don't get it anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2449840  

Last edited by alex5723; 09-02-2018 at 12:13 AM.
post #3015 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
"and setup the smb user field on the Dune"

I can't find a user setup filed on the Dune. If I could I would have changed that to the Everyone user.

"If you Turn Off password protect sharing option in"

Password is turned off in: Control Panel-Network and Internet-Network and Sharing Center-Advanced sharing settings.

At first attempts to connect the Dune to the laptop I got this screen. I don't get it anymore.
Hi,

Just go to computer management and then shared folders - > shares - > right click on the right hand side and setup the folder you want to share with correct permission. I would add and username with password and then just map on the dune.

or

Just go to the folder you want shared ie in file explorer then right click properties - > sharing tab - > share - > add the username you want to to share with that you will map on the dune - > click share

That's it.

now map the path on the dune as new network path use pop up menu.

I have tested this with my Windows 10 PC and works fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #3016 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
Hi,

Just go to computer management and then shared folders - > shares - > right click on the right hand side and setup the folder you want to share with correct permission. I would add and username with password and then just map on the dune.

or

Just go to the folder you want shared ie in file explorer then right click properties - > sharing tab - > share - > add the username you want to to share with that you will map on the dune - > click share

That's it.

now map the path on the dune as new network path use pop up menu.

I have tested this with my Windows 10 PC and works fine.

Can I add more than 1 folder in new network path on the Dune ?

It is interesting that when I select 'Multimedia Devices' on the Dune, My laptop is recognized. Inside folders are empty of course.
post #3017 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can I add more than 1 folder in new network path on the Dune ?

It is interesting that when I select 'Multimedia Devices' on the Dune, My laptop is recognized. Inside folders are empty of course.
yes, eg I have folder called video then multiple folders within.

If the folders are empty then it's a permission issue not cascading down.

Thanks

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #3018 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
yes, eg I have folder called video then multiple folders within.

If the folders are empty then it's a permission issue not cascading down.

Thanks

On what screen on the Dune do I run the 'edit network folder' ? On the screen after selecting SMB Network Places - WORKGROUP
that has only OPENWRT drive on screen ?

I am sharing 3 folders on my PC : Audio, Tv Shows, Movie.

Last edited by alex5723; 09-02-2018 at 01:25 AM.
post #3019 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On what screen on the Dune do I run the 'edit network folder' ? On the screen after selecting SMB Network Places - WORKGROUP
that has only OPENWRT drive on screen ?

I am sharing 3 folders on my PC : Audio, Tv Shows, Movie.
I would recommend placing those folder in a main folder eg my one is called "multimedia" and within that I have videos, pictures and music.

on the dune under sources select the pop-up action button then select "new network folder" then compete the info similar to my screenshot in the above post.

make sure you use a username and password that has rights to the folder your sharing which can be done on the method I explained in above posts.

Thanks

post #3020 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I would recommend placing those folder in a main folder eg my one is called "multimedia" and within that I have videos, pictures and music.

on the dune under sources select the pop-up action button then select "new network folder" then compete the info similar to my screenshot in the above post.

make sure you use a username and password that has rights to the folder your sharing which can be done on the method I explained in above posts.

Thanks

"I would recommend placing those folder in a main folder eg my one is called "multimedia" and within that I have videos, pictures and music."

I can't put the shared folders under one main main folder. I use yaDIS to build my database of files which has Tens of thousands files which
are also backed up to external HDD drives. It is impossible to change files paths.
post #3021 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"I would recommend placing those folder in a main folder eg my one is called "multimedia" and within that I have videos, pictures and music."

I can't put the shared folders under one main main folder. I use yaDIS to build my database of files which has Tens of thousands files which
are also backed up to external HDD drives. It is impossible to change files paths.
upto you, map the three folders individually then same process I have highlighted.

I also use yadis it's not impossible just have to recreate the path and re-run yadis.

anyway hope it works fine for now.

post #3022 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
upto you, map the three folders individually then same process I have highlighted.

I also use yadis it's not impossible just have to recreate the path and re-run yadis.

anyway hope it works fine for now.

I am curious if you have tried to use 'Everyone' user without a password on the Dune.
post #3023 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am curious if you have tried to use 'Everyone' user without a password on the Dune.
I meant to mention in an earlier post that the user who suggested EVRYONE was probably referring to the group name.
There is no such user, there is a Windows 10 group with that name.

You need to create a new user/password on Windows 10 and create a network folder on the Dune, and set the smb fields as shown in the screenshots in the earlier postings.

The user who suggested that probably had a guest user I.e. not Windows 10
post #3024 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I meant to mention in an earlier post that the user who suggested EVRYONE was probably referring to the group name.

You need to create a new user/password on Windows 10 and create a network folder on the Dune, and set the smb fields as shown in the screenshots in the earlier postings.
Thanks. Will try.
post #3025 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

The user who suggested that probably had a guest user I.e. not Windows 10
I suggested the Everyone name...

under user on dune smb I used Everyone.
and I used no password... (told windows 10 not to use passwords...)

When sharing on Windows10 where you have users like guest etc.... I added Everyone as a user and gave it all permissions...

Try this also on Windows... To make sure all shares are correct...

http://www.jankamp.com/windows-share-manager/
post #3026 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I suggested the Everyone name...

under user on dune smb I used Everyone.
and I used no password... (told windows 10 not to use passwords...)

When sharing on Windows10 where you have users like guest etc.... I added Everyone as a user and gave it all permissions...

Try this also on Windows... To make sure all shares are correct...

http://www.jankamp.com/windows-share-manager/
The creation of the new user (you can use any name, there is no significance to the name) and not assigning a password (if you so wish) was covered in earlier posts (but you also have to set Windows 10 not to enforce passwords on network shares, also covered in earlier posts).

No additional software is required, but you do need to take give the new user read access and take the additional steps in Windows 10required to access networkshares. Enable network discovery etc.

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 09-02-2018 at 12:15 PM.
post #3027 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 2158
Hopefully this will get back to a Dune thread soon!
deckarep likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #3028 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Hopefully this will get back to a Dune thread soon!

Any ideas on when the new firmware will be rolled out?

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #3029 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Should I be ripping the cover art in makemkv? Does this help the Dune or does it even look for it ?

post #3030 of 6255 Old 09-02-2018, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Thanks. Will try.
I collected yesterday a new PC with Windows 10 Pro. Everything is perfectly connected to Dune. You do not need any guest account, you do not need to register an IP. Do not need a passworth. In the settings of the Program and Features smb. Give access to the disk for "All". In the disk security settings, set up to edit and delete files. In the network settings, prohibit the request of a passworth. In the properties of the computer, put the item opposite the "Private Network".

LG55C6D, Pioneer VSX-932, Dune Pro 4K

Last edited by Broxxx; 09-02-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page