Dune HD Pro 4K (Ultra) Thread - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1751Likes

post #4381 of 6122 Old 12-22-2018, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartimaus View Post
Everything is working fine now.
Maybe try the fw update again?

Arcam AVR850 • Pioneer KURO KRP-600M • KEF Reference Model 4/2/200c •• Velodyne DD15 •• HDI Dune 4K Solo • Logitech Squeezebox Radio/Duet • Wyrewizard Dreamcaster & Spellbinder (by Nordost) • JVC D-ILA-X7500 • HDFury Vertex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 6122 Old 12-22-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Morrison View Post
It's not my main interest to run android apps. I would have thought if it's advertised to run android apps something would work though. Netflix doesn't work but Kodi works fine for me.

The sound and picture quality are superb but all these added extras are a total bust. The my collection thing isn't up to much and the movies tab is useless without netflix.

I got this as a replacement to the Dune Prime I used to have. That was a nice basic media player with no bells and whistles unlike this one.
True, the android apps on this player are pretty useless. I can't get Netflix to work and Kodi will only play in stereo. Not an issue for me as I have have a Roku+ and a Samsung UHD BD player that have excellent Netflix and Amazon apps. Not really bothered about Kodi. But yes if its advertised as an Android box it should be better. And don't get me started on MyCollection!

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #4383 of 6122 Old 12-22-2018, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
True, the android apps on this player are pretty useless. I can't get Netflix to work and Kodi will only play in stereo. Not an issue for me as I have have a Roku+ and a Samsung UHD BD player that have excellent Netflix and Amazon apps. Not really bothered about Kodi. But yes if its advertised as an Android box it should be better. And don't get me started on MyCollection!
I've got a PS4 so netflix or amazon aren't an issue for me either. I've got so many remote controls beside my chair now no one wants to watch telly in my house any more unless I'm around

I've noticed that dune won't play .wma files but kodi app plays them fine. What's up with that?

Basically, I've got buyers remorse after getting this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4384 of 6122 Old 12-23-2018, 01:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am mostly using the Zidoo Z now. automatic update wall (and very fast), not have much issues with THAT player.

But guess what? I have an Android app, that is a Flemish program app called Stievie. never worked well, on any of the boxes (fine with phone and chromecast). Not works on Zidoo and with new firmware upgrade WORKS on Dune. So going to use this after all, on travel. I spend 5 months a year in Asia. Now although I pay for Stievie, it is geolocked for many programs outside Europe. So with vpn, can use the Dune.

Pity, that NETFLIX, not works, at least the installed version. If anyone knows a way around, even stereo? Stievie, that is 50 hz, will be ok, if the 50 hz is selected manually in the settings, so maybe Netflix, should be set in the right frequency, IF it can work?

Now HiBy, have a few problems :

It plays random files , not in order, not see how to change that.

Worse, my external Dac that is using the SPDIF mode, always displays 48 hz, not anything else. I am set in bitstreaming, what to do about that?

What is the remote on phone for HiBy? I also have the app on my phone, but that is for playing music there. How can I command to play anything, without putting tv on?

Edit : ok for high resolution sound, it works only thru USB. Other questions, not found answer.

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one

Last edited by indieke2; 12-23-2018 at 03:03 AM.
post #4385 of 6122 Old 12-25-2018, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is the Dune HD Pro 4K even available in the USA? The Dune USA website does not provide an avenue to purchase nor does it provide any method to have questions answered. No one has been answering the contact phone for awhile. I have a Dune Smart D1 and want to upgrade. I know there has been issues based on what I’ve read in this forum, but I just want a 1st class 4K media player

Anyone have any ideas how to contact them?
post #4386 of 6122 Old 12-25-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurly View Post
Is the Dune HD Pro 4K even available in the USA? The Dune USA website does not provide an avenue to purchase nor does it provide any method to have questions answered. No one has been answering the contact phone for awhile. I have a Dune Smart D1 and want to upgrade. I know there has been issues based on what I’ve read in this forum, but I just want a 1st class 4K media player

Anyone have any ideas how to contact them?
Can't buy from here?

https://www.duneplayer.com/dune-4k-android.html

Cheers
post #4387 of 6122 Old 12-25-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Well, somehow I missed that method. Thank you!
post #4388 of 6122 Old 12-25-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurly View Post
Well, somehow I missed that method. Thank you!
The link sent me here:

http://www.dune-hd-usa.com
post #4389 of 6122 Old 12-25-2018, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 567
That's the US website, and under dealers it gives you https://www.duneplayer.com/dunehdpro4k.html
post #4390 of 6122 Old 12-26-2018, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 364
So got this Dune 4K Pro player in and installed in my home theater. I have used my Hi-Media q10 until now and wanted to try Dune again in my home theater. Some issues :

* Sometimes is just cut playing my 4K files and return to the "play" screen again ?!

* The HDR-SDR converting is a little darker and with more color saturation that I am used to with my Hi-Media player.

* The Kodi wont bitstream audio in Leia 18.0, would it be better in V.17.6?

* The my movie is alright but boy its a long way from the nicer Kodi layout.

* The remote, well not impressed yet. Need to upgrade that one I think.

* The back buttom vs the Stop buttom - what the hell is that good for ?

* The fast forward need to go faster..

* The Menu read for this player is a joke.

So to a quck question, I am on stable FW but see that it is two beta FW that are available, are you guys using them and do they work to the better ??

Picture for attention

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference

Last edited by johnnygrandis; 12-26-2018 at 01:11 AM.
post #4391 of 6122 Old 12-26-2018, 02:31 AM

Noob question, where is the backlight buttom ?

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
post #4392 of 6122 Old 12-26-2018, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygrandis View Post
Noob question, where is the backlight buttom ?
Nice room! How much equipment is in there? Multiple screens?

Get on the latest beta firmware as it fixes a lot of issues but this player still feels very much a beta product - scan this thread for the main gripes.

No Android apps will bitstream on this - restricted to stereo - not sure if this will ever be fixed.

As for the backlight button - I assume you mean on the remote? I got my player in April and top left there is a button called 'LIGHT' which turns on a backlight for several seconds. Didn't they drop the back lit remote?

MyCollection scraper is woefully underdeveloped and hasn't had a major upgrade for about a year. There is a lot of discussion about a micro stutter that occurs due to framerate issues - however its nothing I've personally noticed. My current gripes are below.

1. Forced subtitles don’t work
2. Still no support for UHD menus
3. Android apps like Kodi and Netflix only play in stereo and no 4K HDR
4. MyCollection has not had any significant update for a very, very long time. It still has no real support for TV and cannot be set to run automatically on start up or set interval. You can’t edit when it gets it wrong and can’t back up so if reset you lose the entire database. I don’t use it as again its beta software.
5. When displaying info during playing video files the current bit rate is not updated but is a fixed value.
6. The front display still has issues. Sometimes it shows clock time when playing movie or when in software standby does not show clock but 00:00!
johnnygrandis likes this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #4393 of 6122 Old 12-26-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Nice room! How much equipment is in there? Multiple screens?

Get on the latest beta firmware as it fixes a lot of issues but this player still feels very much a beta product - scan this thread for the main gripes.

No Android apps will bitstream on this - restricted to stereo - not sure if this will ever be fixed.

As for the backlight button - I assume you mean on the remote? I got my player in April and top left there is a button called 'LIGHT' which turns on a backlight for several seconds. Didn't they drop the back lit remote?

MyCollection scraper is woefully underdeveloped and hasn't had a major upgrade for about a year. There is a lot of discussion about a micro stutter that occurs due to framerate issues - however its nothing I've personally noticed. My current gripes are below.

1. Forced subtitles don’t work
2. Still no support for UHD menus
3. Android apps like Kodi and Netflix only play in stereo and no 4K HDR
4. MyCollection has not had any significant update for a very, very long time. It still has no real support for TV and cannot be set to run automatically on start up or set interval. You can’t edit when it gets it wrong and can’t back up so if reset you lose the entire database. I don’t use it as again its beta software.
5. When displaying info during playing video files the current bit rate is not updated but is a fixed value.
6. The front display still has issues. Sometimes it shows clock time when playing movie or when in software standby does not show clock but 00:00!

Many thanks, looks like I get the remote without backlight then I have order another of my favorite remote https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123523609125 So that would be ok.

What are you guys using if Kodi is not an option, I have about 600movies on my NAS with 4K and 1080P movies. Hi-Media is great wich are using Kodi for organizing the library but as soon as you play a file the players deafault engine starts to play it. I got the Dune 4K because the abillity to play 4K BDMV folders. yaDIS I have used before but it wont scan the BDMV folder ?

Yes mye room had an TV behind the screen before, I am going 4K in PJ and a Q9 Samsung behind the screen. Before you ask why the TV, thats for gaming and movies in HDR.

Here you see a little more of the room, the Anthem AVM60 is controlling the 7.2.4 setup

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference

Last edited by johnnygrandis; 12-26-2018 at 05:19 AM.
post #4394 of 6122 Old 12-26-2018, 05:23 AM

The positive is that the Dune player starts the movies much faster and smoother than my Hi-Media regardless on what file type is beeing played, thats if not starting the meny layout wich sucks big time. Going for the update now

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
post #4395 of 6122 Old 12-26-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow! Great set up. I just have to make do with our front room!

With the Dune I use yaDIS as I don't keep a large library so manually tweaking the results is not a big deal. I have also used the last version of Zappiti scraper that works with Dunes - which is OK. The downside of both is that they are manual.

I currently have a Zidoo Z9S which is pretty good - but has its own issues. This come pre installed with its own scraper called Home Theatre 2. Its pretty impressive as its real time and automatic.

Remote wise I have a Harmony Elite which is great as it also integrates with Amazons Alexa.
johnnygrandis likes this.

post #4396 of 6122 Old 12-26-2018, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just tried to play a mkv with multichannel flac, doesnt work. Is it not supported or just another bug? Also some xvids wont run, i know thats old but whatever, its supposed to be a mediaplayer.
post #4397 of 6122 Old 12-26-2018, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 2115
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorris View Post
I just tried to play a mkv with multichannel flac, doesnt work. Is it not supported or just another bug? Also some xvids wont run, i know thats old but whatever, its supposed to be a mediaplayer.
You've complained about xvid before. It's super easy to reencode them to playable files.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4398 of 6122 Old 12-27-2018, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
No need to reencode some old xvids because kodi plays them just fine. Just a little dissapointing that the internal player cant. Multichannel flac is limited to stereo in kodi i think but at least its playing.
post #4399 of 6122 Old 12-27-2018, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Time Capsule connection with SMB

Hi guys,
I took a look in the forum but I didn't find anything that can solve my problem. Here there's my situation:
Dune HD Pro 4K, correctly connected to my home network (can browse internet, Netflix, etc etc...). It's connected through LAN cable to an Apple Time Capsule.
Time Capsule is correctly setup to share its content with all devices connected to my network (over wifi or directly connected with LAN of course). I can easily see the Time Capsule content from Mac and from Windows, so the "content sharing" with SMB is ok. The problem is that I'm not able to access the Time Capsule from the Dune (I repeat, they are directly linked with ethernet cable). I tried with two different ways:
- trying to access from Dune network browser/SMB (I can see WORKGROUP/Apple Time Capsule but it tells me "Network resources not accessible" and I'm using the correct credentials);
- trying to access creating a "New network folder" from root Dune file system.
Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance for any help. Tell me if you need more details about configurations.
Cheers
post #4400 of 6122 Old 12-27-2018, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo Gazzato View Post
Hi guys,
I took a look in the forum but I didn't find anything that can solve my problem. Here there's my situation:
Dune HD Pro 4K, correctly connected to my home network (can browse internet, Netflix, etc etc...). It's connected through LAN cable to an Apple Time Capsule.
Time Capsule is correctly setup to share its content with all devices connected to my network (over wifi or directly connected with LAN of course). I can easily see the Time Capsule content from Mac and from Windows, so the "content sharing" with SMB is ok. The problem is that I'm not able to access the Time Capsule from the Dune (I repeat, they are directly linked with ethernet cable). I tried with two different ways:
- trying to access from Dune network browser/SMB (I can see WORKGROUP/Apple Time Capsule but it tells me "Network resources not accessible" and I'm using the correct credentials);
Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance for any help. Tell me if you need more details about configurations.
Cheers
Don’t know too much about Time Capsule, but from experience with Dune attempting to access a windows share,
The Dune will be attempting access as a specified user named:
Dune

Also, the user Dune requires access permissions to the shares on the Time Capsule.
post #4401 of 6122 Old 12-27-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo Gazzato View Post
Hi guys,
Am I missing something?
Cheers
A suggestion could be forcing it with ip-adresses/Login/password like I do with my devices who dont see my Hi-Media mediaplayer. I dont now if the login is available directly from the Dune network browsing window but if not you can do it with from the Kodi app. At least you can check if it will connect. I had the same problem with some of my devices and it always connects with direct login credentials even if its not showing up via the player default browser.

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
post #4402 of 6122 Old 12-27-2018, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
What happened to good old @kadqs? He used to pop in to keep us abreast of when the next firmware is expected to drop. Not seen him on here for awhile?
Hi Guys. I was (and still am) very busy last weeks. With my side business. But meanwhile I also had a chance to test Ultra4k.
Do not ask me about its firmware version etc, because it is still alpha, prerelease version.
In general it is same as at Pro4K, the effort and challenge is audio part. Done developed it for Ultra4k together with team of Hiby Music. See https://www.hiby.com/gsjs/index_52.aspx
It is good that they have professional partner for that. We also got first version of dedicated Hiby Music app at Pro4k. Still very simple, and without network access, as some of you had already found. That app shall solve problems with too simple music player app we had till now. Will allow DSD playback, gapless etc. In case of Ultra4k, it communicate directly with DAC, so can send DSD stream straight to DAC. Supports also 353kHz PCM audio files, and DSD512. What is more, we can use HiBy mobile app for audio navigation and playback - other element missing and desired by some (but I hadn't tried it yet)
But this is the beginning, and we have to wait for next version of HiBy app. Approach is good.

With latest firmware for Pro4k I also see the regression for SD playback. Dune decided to use Kodi and its native player for DVD and SD materials, as realtek engine plays SD very bad. Kodi uses own engine, omit some Realtek SDK, and for SD does it much better. It means, that DVD engine planned for BD player app from Dune is canceled or postponed. I will try to check.
Dune fights now with priorities.
Now players will come, but video part is same in all. We can assume that all the efforts to fix some video problems refers to all the players. Do not think that Dune will not support Pro4k, and focus on Max4k and Ultra4K only. Of course, they had to work on audio software much more last weeks. Without that Max4k and Ultra4k with their DACs would be useless.

I have no latest information about next firmware updates. I will try to find more information next days. Also about priorities. We all have long list of wishes, some of them are awaiting for long time, and shall have high priority.

DuneHD Ultra4K, Pro4K, Neo4k, Duo4K, Solo4K, Base3D, TV-102w, QNAP/Synology, Fibaro, Sonos, iEast
post #4403 of 6122 Old 12-27-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks @kadqs for the update.

It seems like a lot of Dunes resources recently have been on the Ultra. As a Pro owner what concerns me is that Dune have now got too many balls in the air and finite resources. I know they will continue to support the Pro but with all the effort they are putting into the Ultra it seems that it will take longer and longer to get updates for the pro . We need more than incremental updates that fix one or two issues. We are still waiting for features promised month and months ago. And MyCollection? What the hell is happening with that - anything?

I recently got a Zidoo Z9S and this has become my main player. Meanwhile the Pro is gathering dust awaiting the next firmware.

post #4404 of 6122 Old 12-28-2018, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Thanks @kadqs for the update.

It seems like a lot of Dunes resources recently have been on the Ultra. As a Pro owner what concerns me is that Dune have now got too many balls in the air and finite resources. I know they will continue to support the Pro but with all the effort they are putting into the Ultra it seems that it will take longer and longer to get updates for the pro . We need more than incremental updates that fix one or two issues. We are still waiting for features promised month and months ago. And MyCollection? What the hell is happening with that - anything?

I recently got a Zidoo Z9S and this has become my main player. Meanwhile the Pro is gathering dust awaiting the next firmware.
I’d be happy if the next Pro 4K beta firmware included UHD blu-Ray menu playback.
But, seamless branching still isn’t working on the Z9S either.

So, I use the Pro 4K for HD blu-Ray menu playback (seamless branching works) and the Z9S for UHD blu-ray menu Playback.

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 12-28-2018 at 07:07 AM.
post #4405 of 6122 Old 12-28-2018, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Installed 8TB Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 drive via Sata – getting smoking 130MB read speeds-
very impressive -
There are some great deals on now in Canada for seagate 8tb portable USB 3 drives- I shucked this drive as they are $100 less this way
Bartimaus and habianchi like this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #4406 of 6122 Old 12-28-2018, 12:30 PM

Got 120MB/s > NAS> Dune 4K Pro so all good here.

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
post #4407 of 6122 Old 12-28-2018, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
i wrote several issues to dune support after every fw som were fixed but they have ignored some urgent updates..

for me;

external subtitle doesnt start at the begining although video file name n sub file name is the same.. even old dune can do that.

audio and subtitle sync doesnt work.. left right arrows change the value but subtitle Show time never changes..

havent tried recently but, tranmission torrent didnt work a few months ago. the folder name of the movie appeared on hdd but download never started
post #4408 of 6122 Old 12-29-2018, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Installed 8TB Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 drive via Sata – getting smoking 130MB read speeds-
very impressive -
There are some great deals on now in Canada for seagate 8tb portable USB 3 drives- I shucked this drive as they are $100 less this way
What format did you use for the drive?
post #4409 of 6122 Old 12-29-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post
What format did you use for the drive?
Just how it came-was no need to format as external drives have already been set up.Just poped it out of enclosure-
https://www.staples.ca/en/Seagate-ST...5_1-CA_1_20001

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #4410 of 6122 Old 12-30-2018, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I not used my Dune much, as I think the Zidoo, do so much better.
But I needed it for testing this morning, and the subtitles, that before hang on MKv btw, did not show up at all, even in BD structure.

Is this a setting that changed, I DL the latest beta 10 days ago, but no way to see subs on bd. I wanted to take the player on travel and leave the zidoo here as it plays perfectly the app of my tv channels (zidoo not, go figure). So what is happening with subs?

Also, how u got netflix working, it not open here....

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page