Dune HD Pro 4K (Ultra) Thread - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1649Likes

post #4711 of 5727 Old 02-08-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked: 2162
Please keep the discussion to Dune products. This is not a comparison thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 5727 Old 02-08-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 330
For me the Dune was not worth the premium. I still have the dune But there are better options out there for a cheaper price.

My main issues with the Dune was the UI was lacking. I never had a yadis setup and I did not want to make one for just the DUNE. The controls at the time in terms of chapter support subtitle support was lacking. I felt burned that Netflix was just a cracked APK and they did not actually have a Netflix cert but that was not a deal breaker. I moved on to something that better fit my needs.

I hope Dune learns from the mistakes this time around on the next player. But in my mind, this player coming from dune was a failure of the DUNE brand.
a5ian300zx and blenky like this.

Last edited by halfelite; 02-08-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #4713 of 5727 Old 02-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Has anyone tested the new alpha firmware with the dune android app control?

http://dune-hd.com/dunecontrol/

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Yamaha RXA3070 + Orbs Audio Mod 4/2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4714 of 5727 Old 02-08-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
I have finally got fed up and sold my dune pro 4k.

Can't see it getting any better and sick of waiting for something to happen.

I use my oppo 203 (4k hdr Inc dolby vision) and dune solo 4k (1080p stuff on the dune and also added yadis coverart etc) played over the network from my Nas.

Thanks

Hello why dont you use oppo 203 for 1080p stuff? thank you
post #4715 of 5727 Old 02-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post
Hello why dont you use oppo 203 for 1080p stuff? thank you
I have yadis setup on the dune and plus wife is very use to the player. I do actually use the oppo for all my viewings.

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Yamaha RXA3070 + Orbs Audio Mod 4/2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #4716 of 5727 Old 02-09-2019, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadqs View Post
Yes, we had.
But Dune released fix few montsh ago. You have to upgrade firmware at your device, to the latest (beta) and reset the player to factory settings. It was mentioned in this thread many times.
I did what you told me -- upgraded the firmware to the latest Beta version and reset the player. The problem continues -- I start a movie on Netflix and 10 seconds later it stops, with the message SORRY, THIS MOVIE CANNOT BE PLAYED.

Is there anything else I can do or is Netflix blocking Dune users for good because Dune has no license to offer the service??
post #4717 of 5727 Old 02-09-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Actually what exactly is the problem with the Dune Pro 4k? is it because it can't play MENU or is it because it plays the content badly? I really don't give much of a crap about BD MENU... if i can just go in and play the file, i am a happy camper...
It’s a cranky thread for sure – Dune been great for me and know many who have purchased and happy (non-members).
Plays backs all my Blu-ray rips(iso/mkvs etc) with full menu support if needed and audio files without issue- pretty much plays everything -no native sacd ISO multi channel support but does any player have that?
lots of complaints on subs? – There is sub title dedicated button on remote – 2 seconds to enable if not picked up-
Have yet to play any 4k but it down samples UHD mkvs/ISO have tried without issue-
attched storage capability and network support is great -
kadqs likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #4718 of 5727 Old 02-09-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
It’s a cranky thread for sure – Dune been great for me and know many who have purchased and happy (non-members).
Plays backs all my Blu-ray rips(iso/mkvs etc) with full menu support if needed and audio files without issue- pretty much plays everything -no native sacd ISO multi channel support but does any player have that?
lots of complaints on subs? – There is sub title dedicated button on remote – 2 seconds to enable if not picked up-
Have yet to play any 4k but it down samples UHD mkvs/ISO have tried without issue-
attched storage capability and network support is great -
But you haven't played 4k UHD, which this player is made for... i was more interested in those files..

I have the dune solo 4k which does all the non 4K files perfectly...

Now, I need something that does UHD and HDR right...
GPBURNS likes this.
post #4719 of 5727 Old 02-09-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
But you haven't played 4k UHD, which this player is made for... i was more interested in those files..

cool - blame JVC for that - been waiting on n7 forever
have not seen but 2 folks I know have 4k flat screens and have reported no issues to me on UHD hdr playback-
coolgeek likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #4720 of 5727 Old 02-09-2019, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, yesterday when I was watching TV screen goes black and TV sent me the message "no signal". I've changed HDMI cable, HDMI port and also to another TV but problem still remains. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks
post #4721 of 5727 Old 02-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

Never had any issues playing any of the UHD blu-Ray movies I’ve watched using ‘play lite’ (no UHD blu-Ray menu playback - yet on this player).

Never had any issues playing most of the HD blu-Ray movies I’ve watched using blu-Ray menus. There may be a minor issue with a very brief video/audio freeze when using DTS-HD audio. e.g. on the latest Tomb Raider blu-Ray.
kadqs likes this.
post #4722 of 5727 Old 02-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
Never had any issues playing any of the UHD blu-Ray movies I’ve watched using ‘play lite’ (no UHD blu-Ray menu playback - yet on this player).

Never had any issues playing most of the HD blu-Ray movies I’ve watched using blu-Ray menus. There may be a minor issue with a very brief video/audio freeze when using DTS-HD audio. e.g. on the latest Tomb Raider blu-Ray.

I would agree , everything seems to play fine, menu navigation (especially dvd) and chapter skip (especially dvd) are hit and miss and what happened to the "info" feature, seems useless
post #4723 of 5727 Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
Quote:

I've had no issue with UHD/HDR rips.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4724 of 5727 Old 02-09-2019, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
Has anyone tested the new alpha firmware with the dune android app control?

http://dune-hd.com/dunecontrol/

Yes and the engine crashes more often. Yesterday got a green screen, while watching a movie. Also when browsing sometimes it stops. For browsing to put on music, there is a weird thing. It only displays very small part of the folder and this is very annoying. But that is then probably why it is not released.

Also shame like I said before HIBY crashes. Because I tried also the usb output, and connected it to a premium dac, and sound is very very good. But is crashes, stops, and the Android app looses contact with the player very often. The sound this way, is outstanding though, so IF they fix these sound issues, it would be a very good player for me. But will they fix them?

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one
post #4725 of 5727 Old 02-10-2019, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
I've had no issue with UHD/HDR rips.
Great, that's what I wanted to hear.

I wish Dune had just used their own software like the old dunes... instead of going the Android route. No more issues, easier to navigate, less buggy...
post #4726 of 5727 Old 02-10-2019, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am a user of Dune 4k Pro, and have a problem when I play video of .iso or BDMV format with external subtitle (.SRT or .ASS), I can't choose that external subtitle on the subtitle list (I don't see the external subtile on the list).
It is no problem for MKV files with external subtitles but I don't know why it can't work on .iso or BDMV format.

Another problem is also about subtitle, the subtitle "sync correction" of Dune 4k Pro has no function, it should be a basic function of all media player, but Dune 4k Pro can't do ....

I used to play many media files with HiMedia Q5, it has no problem to load external subtitle with .iso or BDMV and its subtitle sync correction function is also no problem at all. I think these are all basic basic basic ..... points for a media player.

If any body knows the people of Dune, please help tell them about these bugs of their machine, thanks.
post #4727 of 5727 Old 02-10-2019, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 202
As far as i know, Dune never supported external subtitles on iso's and bdmv's. Your solution is to remux the iso or bdmv to an .mkv.
Subtitle syncing (and audio syncing) is one of the many things Dune has to fix. It works perfect on older Dune players.

Arcam AVR850 • Pioneer KURO KRP-600M • KEF Reference Model 4/2/200c •• Velodyne DD15 •• HDI Dune 4K Solo • Logitech Squeezebox Radio/Duet • Wyrewizard Dreamcaster & Spellbinder (by Nordost) • JVC D-ILA-X7500 • HDFury Vertex
post #4728 of 5727 Old 02-10-2019, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Could anyone tell me if you're having problems with Netflix? I start playing a movie and it stops seconds later.
I was told to download the beta firmware and reset it but the problem remains...
Is there another way to fix this??
post #4729 of 5727 Old 02-10-2019, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Some easy questions:

1. The way to enable external subs on .iso is by this way.

movie.iso
movie.srt

Correct? What is the way to enable external subs when we have a BDMV folder rip?

2. Is there any version of KODI were we can use Dune's player ? (instead of KODI's)

Thanks in advance
post #4730 of 5727 Old 02-10-2019, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadergr View Post
1. The way to enable external subs on .iso is by this way.

movie.iso
movie.srt

Correct?
Never tried this with an .iso, but this does work with .mkv... my guess is it won't work on iso's.

Quote:
Is there any version of KODI were we can use Dune's player ? (instead of KODI's)
eehhh... what?
If you want to use Dune's player on a Dune... just use... eeeh... Dune's player. In stead of Kodi.

(why would you want to use Kodi anyway, you bought a DUNE...)

Arcam AVR850 • Pioneer KURO KRP-600M • KEF Reference Model 4/2/200c •• Velodyne DD15 •• HDI Dune 4K Solo • Logitech Squeezebox Radio/Duet • Wyrewizard Dreamcaster & Spellbinder (by Nordost) • JVC D-ILA-X7500 • HDFury Vertex

Last edited by jowicrt; 02-10-2019 at 07:14 AM.
post #4731 of 5727 Old 02-10-2019, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowicrt View Post
Never tried this with an .iso, but this does work with .mkv... my guess is it won't work on iso's.

eehhh... what?
If you want to use Dune's player on a Dune... just use... eeeh... Dune's player. In stead of Kodi.

(why would you want to use Kodi anyway, you bought a DUNE...)
For the second part...
I am sure that there will be many interested to use KODI as front end with movie art work etc and launch dune's way better player for playback.
Something similar to zdmc in Zidoo units.
post #4732 of 5727 Old 02-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Great, that's what I wanted to hear.

I wish Dune had just used their own software like the old dunes... instead of going the Android route. No more issues, easier to navigate, less buggy...

Please just be careful.

It would seem to me that the people espousing the abilities of the Pro seem to all be using televisions as their display and although it may not be the case in all instances, there are those who have also admitted to the use of frame interpolation settings on their televisions which has mitigated the problems the Dune has with frame rates at 4K resolutions at the expense of the dreaded SOE.

However, from your sig I can see you have a fantastic CI setup. You're really not going to be happy with a box that cannot output a frame accurate stream, so just be aware that although the Dune can output frame accurate 2K images in all modes, it simply cannot do the same at 4K.

At 4K it will provide frame perfect playback at 12-bit 422 ONLY.

BUT this mode is processed internally at 8-bit and therefore is not able to resolve to the levels of 4K 10-bit video which then results in chroma banding which is completely unacceptable.

At 10-bit 444 which is the mode you need to use in order to resolve 10-bit video, the frame rate is 23.988fps which results in a repeated frame every 1.39 minutes and at 12-bit 444 it's 23.981fps, resulting in a frame repeat every 3.35 minutes. Again, a situation that is completely unacceptable.

The Dune uses a 3 year old chipset - the Realtek 1295 as do several other media players. Until recently none of these players have managed frame perfect playback at 4K, but at last, someone has been listening to my (and others') rantings and have gotten a 1295 player to play out 4K23 perfectly. This player is the Zidoo X9S (calm down everyone...)

(FYI, the Z9S could do this from the get go... again, calmness please...)

So I now sincerely hope that Dune will follow suit and get their players outputting frame perfectly at 4K.

Whether they have both the ability and the impetus remains to be seen, but honestly, just be aware that right here, right now, they don't, so as has been said a few times previously, the Dune is just not ready for Prime Time.

Yet.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrameRates.png
Views:	305
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	2523808  
mike_carton and a5ian300zx like this.

Zidoo Z9S | Dune Pro 4K | HDFury Vertex | 32TB mirrored storage
Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
A pair of slippers, a comfy sofa and a glass of 16 year old single malt
post #4733 of 5727 Old 02-10-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For the second part...

I am sure that there will be many interested to use KODI as front end with movie art work etc and launch dune's way better player for playback.

Something similar to zdmc in Zidoo units.
No is the answer, the dune Eco system is enclosed/locked from android OS hence you cant select dune as external player. Same goes for plex direct play and emby.

post #4734 of 5727 Old 02-11-2019, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
Please just be careful.

It would seem to me that the people espousing the abilities of the Pro seem to all be using televisions as their display and although it may not be the case in all instances, there are those who have also admitted to the use of frame interpolation settings on their televisions which has mitigated the problems the Dune has with frame rates at 4K resolutions at the expense of the dreaded SOE.

However, from your sig I can see you have a fantastic CI setup. You're really not going to be happy with a box that cannot output a frame accurate stream, so just be aware that although the Dune can output frame accurate 2K images in all modes, it simply cannot do the same at 4K.

At 4K it will provide frame perfect playback at 12-bit 422 ONLY.

BUT this mode is processed internally at 8-bit and therefore is not able to resolve to the levels of 4K 10-bit video which then results in chroma banding which is completely unacceptable.

At 10-bit 444 which is the mode you need to use in order to resolve 10-bit video, the frame rate is 23.988fps which results in a repeated frame every 1.39 minutes and at 12-bit 444 it's 23.981fps, resulting in a frame repeat every 3.35 minutes. Again, a situation that is completely unacceptable.

The Dune uses a 3 year old chipset - the Realtek 1295 as do several other media players. Until recently none of these players have managed frame perfect playback at 4K, but at last, someone has been listening to my (and others') rantings and have gotten a 1295 player to play out 4K23 perfectly. This player is the Zidoo X9S (calm down everyone...)

(FYI, the Z9S could do this from the get go... again, calmness please...)

So I now sincerely hope that Dune will follow suit and get their players outputting frame perfectly at 4K.

Whether they have both the ability and the impetus remains to be seen, but honestly, just be aware that right here, right now, they don't, so as has been said a few times previously, the Dune is just not ready for Prime Time.

Yet.

Dang! Now back to Zidoo...

btw: what about the newer Zidoo Z series which uses a newer chipset? Would that be preferable to the X9S?
post #4735 of 5727 Old 02-11-2019, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Dang! Now back to Zidoo...

btw: what about the newer Zidoo Z series which uses a newer chipset? Would that be preferable to the X9S?

I'd drop on the Zidoo thread if I were you. Folks on here seem mighty tetchy about mentioning words beginning with Z.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...96-soc-26.html

But in answer to your question, in my opinion, yes

Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
post #4736 of 5727 Old 02-11-2019, 01:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
I'd drop on the Zidoo thread if I were you. Folks on here seem mighty tetchy about mentioning words beginning with Z.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...96-soc-26.html

But in answer to your question, in my opinion, yes
I also read thru that thread... But it seems the Zidoo's browser isn't as good as the Dune I was used to (which is minimalist), which just browse thru my library and does nothing else...

I see cross talk about Dune and Zidoo on both forums... i think it's a good think actually as people may not realize all the issues with each other.. and a good comparison is great for shoppers like myself.
post #4737 of 5727 Old 02-11-2019, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello,

How do you use the Video in? Not manage to play with that. I have sound on my chromecast key hdmi input. Maybe the chromecast not works on this, but why do I have sound. Do I have to enable or install anything more.

Netflix works now in stereo (on the alpha firmware for remote), but PQ is so much less then on anything else.......

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one
post #4738 of 5727 Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HD Pro 4K crashes really easily when fast forwarding movies.
post #4739 of 5727 Old 02-12-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 824
@kadqs - its now been over two months since we had a major firmware release. Have you any insight into when we may see the next one? Cheers.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Roku Streaming Stick + | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #4740 of 5727 Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
@kadqs - its now been over two months since we had a major firmware release. Have you any insight into when we may see the next one? Cheers.

Wonder if they'll nail the frame rate this time - Zidoo have done it on the X9S, Zappiti have partially done it on the 4K HDR, it's about time Dune stepped up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page