Dune HD Pro 4K (Ultra) Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1649Likes

post #31 of 5730 Old 12-04-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Could someone with knowledge on them, please share the difference between the Realtek 1296 and 1295? Will there be much difference? Also the Amlogic 905? Would appreciate it!
The 1296 vs 1295 is pretty easy. The 1296 is the same chip as the 1295 but allowed for 1 more USB 3 port One more Sata port and up to 3 network ports. It was designed to be a NAS/Media player chipset. Synology uses it in its one and two bay NAS systems now. So if you dont use the extra USB or Sata or Network ports not much of a difference between the 1295 and 1296. The AmLogic S905X is your basic budget arm chipset its about 2 years old now. The good news is most basic items work on it these are your wetek/odriod c2
jconjason and gymnos like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5730 Old 12-04-2017, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
The 1296 vs 1295 is pretty easy. The 1296 is the same chip as the 1295 but allowed for 1 more USB 3 port One more Sata port and up to 3 network ports. It was designed to be a NAS/Media player chipset. Synology uses it in its one and two bay NAS systems now. So if you dont use the extra USB or Sata or Network ports not much of a difference between the 1295 and 1296. The AmLogic S905X is your basic budget arm chipset its about 2 years old now. The good news is most basic items work on it these are your wetek/odriod c2
Thank you! If I decide to get one of the new Dune players, your info just helped me decide which model I'd get!

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #33 of 5730 Old 12-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The question that must be asked is twofold:

1. Why should I use the Realtek RTD1296 chipset on an audiophile device, since Realtek turned out to be a bad chipset for audio in versions prior to this?

2. Why did HDI abandon the SIGMA chipset over the use of new models with support for ANDROID like REALTEK & Amlogic S905D, does the new SIGMA chipsets do not support ANDROID and / or ANDROID TV?

Another thing, I heard that HDI promises access to NETFLIX in the new models, but what quality, since in ANDROID systems it is possible to have only 480p, only in ANDROID TV is it possible to have 720p / 1080p / 2160?

Att.

Druid®.
gymnos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 5730 Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 355
1. What SoC should they use instead?
2. Because Sigma basically abandoned the media player market.

Regarding Netflix, look at the previous page of this thread.
post #35 of 5730 Old 12-05-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
1. What SoC should they use instead?
2. Because Sigma basically abandoned the media player market.

Regarding Netflix, look at the previous page of this thread.

If it is to follow a line audiophile, then I believe that the best choice would be a MARVELL or DARBEE chipset, the same ones used by OPPO, would be the sensible one at a median price in terms of market, since in terms of audiophile are input chipsets , having better choices always.

Att.

Druid®.
post #36 of 5730 Old 12-05-2017, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Marvell wasn’t used by Oppo for some generations by now and Darbee only offers limited post processing but no video decoding whatsoever (and obviously no audio capabilities, either).
Furthermore, I don’t think that Marvell still makes SoCs for BD players and as far as I remember there was no media player with a Marvell SoC ever (maybe the Asus BDS-700 counts, but its a BD player first).
So again, what SoC should they have chosen instead?

Last edited by Sledgehamma; 12-05-2017 at 12:49 PM.
post #37 of 5730 Old 12-05-2017, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 81
@Sledgehamma - Do you think this Realtek SOC is the best available? The only other alternative I would have considered is the HiSilicon Hi3798CV200, which says it has Linux Support on their website.

Vizio P55-C1 | Denon AVR-X1200W
[5] DefTech ProMonitor 1000s | ProCenter 2000 | SR-8040BPs [.1] SVS PB1000 [.2] Micca R-8C
Nvidia Shield | Zidoo X9S | Popcorn Hour VTEN
post #38 of 5730 Old 12-05-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Marvell wasn’t used by Oppo for some generations by now and Darbee only offers limited post processing but no video decoding whatsoever (and obviously no audio capabilities, either).
Furthermore, I don’t think that Marvell still makes SoCs for BD players and as far as I remember there was no media player with a Marvell SoC ever (maybe the Asus BDS-700 counts, but its a BD player first).
There was a couple Marvell players. I had the Nixeus Fusion XS which had the Marvell ARMADA 1000 in it. But the Armada line has been moved to a NAS chipset. It was not worth the headache. Marvell never made a decent SDK for ease of use the SDK and software given out was basically for people that setup individual hardware items not a mass production mediaplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by movd View Post
@Sledgehamma - Do you think this Realtek SOC is the best available? The only other alternative I would have considered is the HiSilicon Hi3798CV200, which says it has Linux Support on their website.
My order would go

HiSilicon Hi3798CV200
Intel HD
Realtek
AMlogic

I put in Intel as an I3 HTPC is around the same cost as most media players now and can offer everything a media player can do outside of Plug and Play.
post #39 of 5730 Old 12-05-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:

One that is not REALTEK.

Att.

Druid®.
post #40 of 5730 Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
My order would go

HiSilicon Hi3798CV200
Intel HD
Realtek
AMlogic

I put in Intel as an I3 HTPC is around the same cost as most media players now and can offer everything a media player can do outside of Plug and Play.
how would you rank the NVIDIA Tegra X1 ?
post #41 of 5730 Old 12-05-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Right alongside the Intel. I had the shield for a couple weeks it worked well but if you ran SD material on it it was terrible at upscaling compared to my other players and my biggest gripe is the way they function being android my family always found a way to exit out of certain apps and had trouble finding out how to get back.
post #42 of 5730 Old 12-06-2017, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movd View Post
The best would be Mediatek with a custom video decoder like Sony is doing. However, Dune has zero experience with that and does not have the required capital for the R&D process.
So the best real option (PQ wise and bugs) might be the HiSilicon. However, this SoC has also some bugs like 23.976 output as 24.000 in 3D mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCtba View Post
One that is not REALTEK.

Att.

Druid®.
Well...that is very constructive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
At the beginning there were severe issue so that I didn't even bother to test it in depth. Some have been fixed. But when you have a look at this thread, there are still issues remaining:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...evaluation/36/
raif71 likes this.

Last edited by Sledgehamma; 12-06-2017 at 02:47 AM.
post #43 of 5730 Old 12-06-2017, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 117
dang.

I was almost buying the zappiti 4k hdr one.

now I think I'll wait for the dune review.

Had a thought about the Egreat A10, but the general opinion (from what I read), is that the software is super buggy.

But doesent the egreat have the hisilicon chip?
post #44 of 5730 Old 12-06-2017, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, Egreat has HiSilicon SoC.

Quote:
Unless Dune will let me keep the device and loan me a 4K TV, which I hardly doubt, I wont do a review of this device.
I just done have the time right now do to a proper review as I would need to drive a few hundred kilometers to a dealer (dont even know if we would let me as I would block his prime show room for several hours and he doesn't even sell Dunes) in order to test the 4K capabilities. Having 4K equipment at home would significantly help.
I have reached out to my contact regarding the review. Maybe I get lucky.

Last edited by Sledgehamma; 12-06-2017 at 03:08 AM.
post #45 of 5730 Old 12-06-2017, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
if you ran SD material on it it was terrible at upscaling compared to my other players
Are you using SPMC with Lanczos3-optimised scaler? Do you have a Full HD or 4K screen?

Have you read THIS?
post #46 of 5730 Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
The best would be Mediatek with a custom video decoder like Sony is doing. However, Dune has zero experience with that and does not have the required capital for the R&D process.
So the best real option (PQ wise and bugs) might be the HiSilicon. However, this SoC has also some bugs like 23.976 output as 24.000 in 3D mode.

At the beginning there were severe issue so that I didn't even bother to test it in depth. Some have been fixed. But when you have a look at this thread, there are still issues remaining:
I will confirm that the image quality for the Shield Tv is still poor for 1080p, 720p, and SD material when compared to other solutions (Sigma, Intel, Mediatek, HiSilicon Hi3798CV200). They have known about the issues for well over 2.5 years so I suspect they are hardware (Chipset) related and probably won't be fixed until a new unit is released.

I'm not sure which is worst the Shield TV chipset or the Realtek RTD1295. I found both to be unacceptable but never did a direct comparison.
post #47 of 5730 Old 12-06-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenUser View Post
Are you using SPMC with Lanczos3-optimised scaler? Do you have a Full HD or 4K screen?

Have you read THIS?
My shield was connected to a LG Oled 4K tv. And No I did not read that with the PQ issue and the constant of having my family exit out of apps I sold it off.
post #48 of 5730 Old 12-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi, i asked the supplier in my country...and don´t expect the Pro in Europe before february and even that is a big If...and Dune Europe informed them: no garanties that it will have all the promised specifications or looks like on the picture on the official Dune HD site, seams to be still work in progress. Zappiti 4 k HDR is currently sold out and unavailable in my contry, so looks like my jump to UHD will be postonet from Christmas to Easter :-P
post #49 of 5730 Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I think it’s going to be a pretty bumpy ride at the beginning with this new chipset. Lots of features are listed as coming in updates after the launch.
post #50 of 5730 Old 12-06-2017, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I like mediatek too Sledge but like you said Dune might have zero knowledge on it. To me it's all a matter of will but looks like they made up their minds already.
post #51 of 5730 Old 12-07-2017, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, Egreat has HiSilicon SoC.

Good news: I got a positive answer and I'll do a review once the player is available
robnix, a5ian300zx, Chh and 3 others like this.
post #52 of 5730 Old 12-07-2017, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
BTW - This is my first post in a couple or several years. Stopping by to see whats-up in the media streamer world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsmoops View Post
... Lots of features are listed as coming in updates after the launch.
This made me laugh! Here is why... Going back 12 years (and until today?) all media players had a few things in common.

* Overly hyped by manufacturer at product announcement & at launch.
* Product launches with a broken advertised feature and one glitch, and two bugs.
* Future firmware will fix these problems. Stand-by for more info.
* Any manufacturer with developer teams that rolled out fixes, and improved firmware, ended up winning. But the launch always takes a beating and gets a group of disappointed people when "that feature" they waited for is broken or buggy.

One of these companies should try a different marketing approach. Advertise your upcoming new media streamer will launch despite a few bugs, to include limitations that prevent it from simultaneous output of audio & video. Then have initial reviewers find it near flawless, and also find a new feature never seen before. Then, manufacturer can roll-out new advertising campaign (for this item) named "Gotcha" or "Whoops, we were wrong". The company is forced to a press-release apologizing that they failed to deliver the bugs they thought would be included.

Quote:
Good news: I got a positive answer and I'll do a review once the player is available
Nice score Sledge. Congrats.

*My ever so smart GF has done & did an edit to my signature... now using other ways of concealing my passwords*
post #53 of 5730 Old 12-07-2017, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's great! I look forward to your thoughts. I'm usually one of the first to buy a Dune, but think I'm going to wait to hear some opinions before I buy this time. Were you given a time frame on when to expect it?

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #54 of 5730 Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's great! I look forward to your thoughts. I'm usually one of the first to buy a Dune, but think I'm going to wait to hear some opinions before I buy this time. Were you given a time frame on when to expect it?
No, I wasn't given a timeframe. Just that it wont be December for sure.
post #55 of 5730 Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenUser View Post

Have you read THIS?
Problem is to get HDR you need to use 'MediaCodec (Surface)'. However if you sue that you cannot then set 'lanczos3 - optimised'. Also the linked page refers to SPMC 17. On Play the latest version is 16. How do you get 17?

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Roku Streaming Stick + | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #56 of 5730 Old 12-08-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Some areas I'll be looking at:

4K UHD HDR playback - This is a big one. now that UHD disks can be backed up, how will the new Dune handle this. Zidoo does an excellent job playing back UHD HDR content. Menu's need work still but can always play the main movie with no issues.
This is my biggest concern as well. My Shield TV handles HDR well, but if the Dune can properly do it then I'd prefer to use a Dune.
blenky likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #57 of 5730 Old 12-08-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is my biggest concern as well. My Shield TV handles HDR well, but if the Dune can properly do it then I'd prefer to use a Dune.
My thoughts exactly. Love the Dune but I got a Shield as I'm getting hold of more and more UHD HDR. If the new Dune can do it at least as well as the Shield ;->

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Roku Streaming Stick + | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #58 of 5730 Old 12-09-2017, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
My thoughts exactly. Love the Dune but I got a Shield as I'm getting hold of more and more UHD HDR. If the new Dune can do it at least as well as the Shield ;->

I got a Zappiti for exactly the same reason, and that handles HDR perfectly so I'm very optimistic of a Dune front end on what is essentially the same hardware as the Zappiti.

My two concerns are that on the Zappiti you have to chose an output resolution, you can't have it switch based on source like you can with the current Dunes and I suspect that is a restriction of the platform, and support for YaDis.

Fingers crossed.
post #59 of 5730 Old 12-09-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
I got a Zappiti for exactly the same reason, and that handles HDR perfectly so I'm very optimistic of a Dune front end on what is essentially the same hardware as the Zappiti.

My two concerns are that on the Zappiti you have to chose an output resolution, you can't have it switch based on source like you can with the current Dunes and I suspect that is a restriction of the platform, and support for YaDis.

Fingers crossed.
I would think its not a hardware restriction but poor player software implementation. Dune players have always been excellent with their players - its the interface that is poor.

The new players need to come with a fully polished My Collection akin to that offered by Kodi. That coupled with the Dunes current ability to play Bluray (and hopefully UHD Bluray) with full menu support it will be an awesome product.

post #60 of 5730 Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
I would think its not a hardware restriction but poor player software implementation. Dune players have always been excellent with their players - its the interface that is poor.

The new players need to come with a fully polished My Collection akin to that offered by Kodi. That coupled with the Dunes current ability to play Bluray (and hopefully UHD Bluray) with full menu support it will be an awesome product.

Unfortunately I think it's a restriction of Android, but we'll see. It's a real shame they had to move away from Linux into a bloated phone OS, but Zappiti have done a half decent job of hiding it so I hope Dune do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page