Ripping UHD 4k discs with Makemkv: Instructions How-to - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 873Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 2505 Old 01-16-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,207
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this one. I'll update the OP when assimilation is complete

Not much has changed you just have to grab the Hash Keys file from https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewt...p?f=12&t=16959. Then if you have a disc that is not supported make the dump and send it to mike and he will make a hash for it.
halfelite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 2505 Old 01-17-2018, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KMFDMvsEnya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
I have had no luck ripping Blade Runner... What drive do you have? i have a new LG 16NS40 manufactured date 09/2017... I get a physical disc error but it plays fine on my UHD player.
Mine is the WH16NS40 from Amazon and received it an OEM box:
Manufactured: Sept 2017 /// 2017 09 26
ROM Version: 1.02
SVC Code: NS50

I have done a new rip of The Martian EE with the most current version of MM, 1.10.9, although I may try one more time after removing the previously leaked keys from the Key.cfg and just use the hashed_keys. The log shows a ton of AV sync errors. Allegedly this due to how the multi-branching is authored and I would not be surprised if the title obfuscation is also a cause of the audio dropouts. Need to also try a supposed method of bypassing AV Sync Correction and see how that goes. Or just rip the audio separately.

Also ripped ST-ID today but have not really watched it yet. What little I have watched it plays better than Blade Runner on my PC, which always slows down and misses a ton of frames.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
KMFDMvsEnya is offline  
post #63 of 2505 Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 8,901
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked: 3208
I'm getting ready to download MakeMKV. Anyone using this with success on a Mac? I will be ripping both BR and 4K/HDR discs. Also need to purchase some NAS drives. Recommendations? Best 4K/HDR optical drives?

Thanks
audioguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 2505 Old 01-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
djb61230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Whitesboro, NY
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I'm getting ready to download MakeMKV. Anyone using this with success on a Mac? I will be ripping both BR and 4K/HDR discs. Also need to purchase some NAS drives. Recommendations? Best 4K/HDR optical drives?

Thanks
Yes it works fine on the Mac. I have the ASUS BW-16D1HT drive and a Vantec NST-536S3-BK external case purchased from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. Best to read the UHD section on the makemkv forum to make sure you know what you are doing.
djb61230 is offline  
post #65 of 2505 Old 01-19-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,257
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
Not much has changed you just have to grab the Hash Keys file from https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewt...p?f=12&t=16959. Then if you have a disc that is not supported make the dump and send it to mike and he will make a hash for it.
Is this a sustainable solution going forward? Can the studios find a way to prevent this way of UHD ripping (for lack of better way to ask my question)?

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
blackssr is offline  
post #66 of 2505 Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,878
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked: 5884
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Is this a sustainable solution going forward? Can the studios find a way to prevent this way of UHD ripping (for lack of better way to ask my question)?


People always adjust to what the studios do. Many asked this whenever a new encryption is used. Of course changing keys all the time OR requiring online authentication would prevent this, but they’d abandon those without internet access.
Ph8te is online now  
post #67 of 2505 Old 01-19-2018, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,207
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Is this a sustainable solution going forward? Can the studios find a way to prevent this way of UHD ripping (for lack of better way to ask my question)?
Its sustainable the only weak link is Mike. As he is the one making the Hash's. DEUHD can make keys but seems they are a bit slower then Mike at it but I think that has to do with not as many people wanted to spend 200$ plus on software. So Makemkv has a bigger audience sharing the dumps. Konats on doom9 seems to know as well but by the key releases I assume he is just giving out the discs that pass's through his hands.
halfelite is offline  
post #68 of 2505 Old 01-19-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,257
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Progress is being made at a brisk pace.

https://club.myce.com/t/newly-releas...s-topic/400070

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
blackssr is offline  
post #69 of 2505 Old 01-20-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,579
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 599
I just updated MakeMKV to the latest and greatest version (1.10.10) in preparation for my first 4K UHD ripping attempt. I have one of the external drives that "supposedly" supports it (LG BE16NU50)?

I struck out on both of my first two attempts (Interstellar and Sing). MakeMKV was able to "load" both discs, and reported that they were 4K UHD and AACS v.61, etc, but when I tried to open them both failed.

"The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc"

I have a few more discs I can try (Despicable Me 3, Logan, Planet Earth II, etc). I'll report back if I have any luck with any of the others...
psuKinger is offline  
post #70 of 2505 Old 01-20-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 33,831
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3754 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I just updated MakeMKV to the latest and greatest version (1.10.10) in preparation for my first 4K UHD ripping attempt. I have one of the external drives that "supposedly" supports it (LG BE16NU50)?

I struck out on both of my first two attempts (Interstellar and Sing). MakeMKV was able to "load" both discs, and reported that they were 4K UHD and AACS v.61, etc, but when I tried to open them both failed.

"The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc"

I have a few more discs I can try (Despicable Me 3, Logan, Planet Earth II, etc). I'll report back if I have any luck with any of the others...
Did you add the hashed key file to the MakeMKV data directory?

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16959
Keenan is online now  
post #71 of 2505 Old 01-20-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,878
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked: 5884
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I just updated MakeMKV to the latest and greatest version (1.10.10) in preparation for my first 4K UHD ripping attempt. I have one of the external drives that "supposedly" supports it (LG BE16NU50)?



I struck out on both of my first two attempts (Interstellar and Sing). MakeMKV was able to "load" both discs, and reported that they were 4K UHD and AACS v.61, etc, but when I tried to open them both failed.



"The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted

Failed to open disc"



I have a few more discs I can try (Despicable Me 3, Logan, Planet Earth II, etc). I'll report back if I have any luck with any of the others...


They have instructions on what to do when that happens. You need to email the dump file so that it can be added in a future hash release. Discs can have multiple keys so the more dumps they have, the better.

That external drive DOES work when they key matches.
Ph8te is online now  
post #72 of 2505 Old 01-20-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 33,831
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3754 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
I looked at the list and there are several Logan releases(currently 8), maybe yours is a different release and as Ph8te notes, you need to email it to Mike at MakeMKV.
Keenan is online now  
post #73 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
barhoram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 47
do I just put the keys_hashed.txt file in the MKV directory?? Is that all that needs to be done?

I previously had a KeyDB.cfg file downloaded from doom....so now I'm confused which is needed??

I don't really like talking about my flair
barhoram is offline  
post #74 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The Bay - Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Yes.
Willie is offline  
post #75 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NE USA
Posts: 6,417
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I renamed mine to KEYDB.cfg ... in screenshots:





I'm using ASUS BW-16D1HT, which works very well.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus

Last edited by Brajesh; 01-21-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Brajesh is offline  
post #76 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 06:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Sparty1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Are any of the supported drives external? I saw the lgbe16nu50 which is 140.00. Any cheaper ones? This thread is very informative. Thanks guys!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sparty1020 is offline  
post #77 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,199
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Not sure why, but since 1.10.9 my ripping scripts weren't working. They use the command line interface of Makemkv (makemkvcon) and Makemkv would stop working shortly after starting. Had to change "makemkvcon" to "makemkvcon64" in my scripts.
javanpohl is online now  
post #78 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
sutton8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
do I just put the keys_hashed.txt file in the MKV directory?? Is that all that needs to be done?

I previously had a KeyDB.cfg file downloaded from doom....so now I'm confused which is needed??
As willie says just put the text file in the appropriate directory. No need to rename it. I deleted the CFG file I was previously unsuccessfully using.

7.2 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Vero 4K, Sony X700, LG OLED (E7V)
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED (E6V)
In both Setups "Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, FireTV Stick 4K, Harmony Elite"
sutton8 is online now  
post #79 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,878
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked: 5884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty1020 View Post
Are any of the supported drives external? I saw the lgbe16nu50 which is 140.00. Any cheaper ones? This thread is very informative. Thanks guys!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Just get an internal and put it into an enclosure?
Ph8te is online now  
post #80 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,199
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Ripping movies with only one drive is AAAAWWWWFFUUUUULLL. Don't know how anyone does it

If I can get these 10Gbe cards I got (and this NAS I got came with one) to work I'm debating busting out my storm trooper pc case (with 8 external drive bays), rebuilding my ripping pc, and just adding UHD friendly drives instead of replacing drives in my current 4-bay ripping unit. Ripping on 4 bays maxes out a 1 Gbe connection (once the rips get going at max speed) so I've never had a reason to go any higher, but it's starting to look like 10Gbe is breaking into the "affordable" realm.
javanpohl is online now  
post #81 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,199
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I just updated MakeMKV to the latest and greatest version (1.10.10) in preparation for my first 4K UHD ripping attempt. I have one of the external drives that "supposedly" supports it (LG BE16NU50)?

I struck out on both of my first two attempts (Interstellar and Sing). MakeMKV was able to "load" both discs, and reported that they were 4K UHD and AACS v.61, etc, but when I tried to open them both failed.

"The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc"

I have a few more discs I can try (Despicable Me 3, Logan, Planet Earth II, etc). I'll report back if I have any luck with any of the others...
To elaborate on what @Keenan said, make sure you replace the old volume keys files we've been using with the hashed keys files (I added a reference for that at the beginning of the OP) that Makemkv now needs (the old volume keys now do not work).
javanpohl is online now  
post #82 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
Deja-vue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Ok, quick question:


Once ripped, which Device are you Guys using to actually play the Movie? I got the Dune 4K, will this work?
Deja-vue is offline  
post #83 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,878
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked: 5884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja-vue View Post
Ok, quick question:


Once ripped, which Device are you Guys using to actually play the Movie? I got the Dune 4K, will this work?


Infuse on my ATV4K works (but HDR is broken currently). I also have an A5 by Egreat that plays it back.
Deja-vue likes this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #84 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Deja-vue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks !
I will see if my Dune plays it back, I am ripping Independence Day as we speak.
Deja-vue is offline  
post #85 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Sparty1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Just get an internal and put it into an enclosure?


Solid idea. Thank you
Sparty1020 is offline  
post #86 of 2505 Old 01-21-2018, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,207
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Ripping movies with only one drive is AAAAWWWWFFUUUUULLL. Don't know how anyone does it

If I can get these 10Gbe cards I got (and this NAS I got came with one) to work I'm debating busting out my storm trooper pc case (with 8 external drive bays), rebuilding my ripping pc, and just adding UHD friendly drives instead of replacing drives in my current 4-bay ripping unit. Ripping on 4 bays maxes out a 1 Gbe connection (once the rips get going at max speed) so I've never had a reason to go any higher, but it's starting to look like 10Gbe is breaking into the "affordable" realm.
Affordable yes but otherwise its still a pita. I run Mellanox 10GB spf+ from my NAS units to my mikrotik switch it works well enough but cable length was an issue. If you are thinking about going 10GBASE-T Watch out for the heat and the power usage. I tested out some 10Gbe over twisted pair and ended up with a melted intel NIC from the heat the case did not have proper cooling around the NIC.
halfelite is offline  
post #87 of 2505 Old 01-23-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,579
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Did you add the hashed key file to the MakeMKV data directory?

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I looked at the list and there are several Logan releases(currently 8), maybe yours is a different release and as Ph8te notes, you need to email it to Mike at MakeMKV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
To elaborate on what @Keenan said, make sure you replace the old volume keys files we've been using with the hashed keys files (I added a reference for that at the beginning of the OP) that Makemkv now needs (the old volume keys now do not work).
Yep. Apologies guys this is definitely where I went wrong. Stupid mistake, thanks for your patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
do I just put the keys_hashed.txt file in the MKV directory?? Is that all that needs to be done?

I previously had a KeyDB.cfg file downloaded from doom....so now I'm confused which is needed??
The solution isn't/wasn't immediately obvious to me either... I'm at work right now and can't trouble shoot, but will revisit this when I get home and see if I can't figure out what this all means...
psuKinger is offline  
post #88 of 2505 Old 01-23-2018, 08:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Natrix1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Yep. Apologies guys this is definitely where I went wrong. Stupid mistake, thanks for your patience.



The solution isn't/wasn't immediately obvious to me either... I'm at work right now and can't trouble shoot, but will revisit this when I get home and see if I can't figure out what this all means...
Helpful FAQ at the makemkv forum, https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewt...p?f=12&t=16883
Natrix1973 is offline  
post #89 of 2505 Old 01-24-2018, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've tried for the first time with a couple of discs I bought recently and it works flawlessly. Amazing!!!
Thank you all for the step-by-step instructions.
What media player actually play these MKV with HDR support?
stefanop is offline  
post #90 of 2505 Old 01-24-2018, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,199
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanop View Post
I've tried for the first time with a couple of discs I bought recently and it works flawlessly. Amazing!!!
Thank you all for the step-by-step instructions.
What media player actually play these MKV with HDR support?
I have a Zidoo X9 that I play my 4k HDR files on (my 4K tv is in my bedroom). I also have a Zappiti 4K HDR player downstairs on my main rig (which is only 1080p), but I haven't tried that one on my 4K tv yet.

The Zidoo definitely plays the files in HDR but I haven't yet done an A/B comparison with the disc in a UHD player to see if there's a noticeable difference in quality.
javanpohl is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off