Ripping UHD 4k discs with Makemkv: Instructions How-to - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 937Likes

post #2041 of 2711 Old 01-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 200
You rang?
aaronwt likes this.

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2711 Old 01-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Alex, you should start building PCs that have 3 or 4 of these drives in them at once for ripping multiple movies at the same time. I have a few hundred movies to go through in my collection, it takes forever!
alexcoluzzi32 likes this.
post #2043 of 2711 Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6529 Post(s)
Liked: 6256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
Has this thread died? Not even Alex posting here lately. Hmm...............

Is everything is working and there are no new features to discuss, then not much to post about here. Next flood of activity will probably be around the time mike has the “official” UHDBR drives added to the official support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 2711 Old 01-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Alex, you should start building PCs that have 3 or 4 of these drives in them at once for ripping multiple movies at the same time. I have a few hundred movies to go through in my collection, it takes forever!

I routinely run three drives at a time with three instances of MakeMKV to three target SSDs. Great way to blow through all your SATA ports at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lknhomeaudio likes this.

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #2045 of 2711 Old 01-12-2019, 11:56 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9324 Post(s)
Liked: 6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcoluzzi32 View Post
I routinely run three drives at a time with three instances of MakeMKV to three target SSDs. Great way to blow through all your SATA ports at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I do the same thing from a USB port. I run all three drives on one USB hub and will rip concurrently to either one 250GB NVMe drive or one 250GB SSD drive.. I get the same speeds as when they were hooked to SATA ports or ripped to separate drives. Only I can easily move the Asus drives in USB enclosures to another PC if I need to.

But I rip to an ISO first. And then I will create the MKV from the ISO on a larger SSD . Then at some point I will move the MKV to a large Platter drive on my Plex PC and to a platter drive on my unRAIDs. And will also move the ISO to my unRAIDs as well.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2046 of 2711 Old 01-17-2019, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolmstd View Post
Mike has updated the status of the support for official UHD drives on his "MakeMKV" web site.

With this new news, which is the optimal drive to buy right now? The WH16NS60?
post #2047 of 2711 Old 01-17-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 5009 Post(s)
Liked: 3837
Sort of OT: I have run into a few situations recently where the procedure I was using for subtitles is not working when using MakeMKV for ripping MKV files. Which of the two boxes (or both) in the red rectangle need to be checked if I want English sub titles when foreign language is spoken?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 3.54.55 PM.png
Views:	283
Size:	599.5 KB
ID:	2512334  
post #2048 of 2711 Old 01-18-2019, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Stupid, OT questions as well, piggybacking on your image-

I've been ripping all of my UHD discs to my NAS backup. Plan is to stream to Nvidia Shield devices running Plex at the various TVs around the house, but possibly also to tablets in the future. As I've been ripping, I've been selecting both the (using your image above as an example) DTS-HD MA Surround 7.1 English and the DTS Surround 5.1 English audio tracks for every file (when Dolby, I've been selecting both the TrueHD and the core track underneath it).

1) Is that necessary? Or can I get away with just the DTS-HD MA Surround 7.1 and TrueHD tracks, leaving out the core tracks underneath?
2) For the 30+ movies I have already ripped, does it make sense to go back in with MKVToolNix and delete out the core track to save a little space, or would that screw me over when trying to stream to tablets (putting aside the fact that I may not be able to transcode these 4k files quickly enough for tablet viewing anyways)?
3) If I leave the core track in there for the rips I have already done, how do I ensure that the DTS-HD MA Surround 7.1/Atmos tracks are what play first, with the secondary track only playing if there is a compatibility issue with the playback device (since I'm not ripping menus etc)?

Thanks!
post #2049 of 2711 Old 01-18-2019, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Stupid, OT questions as well, piggybacking on your image-

I've been ripping all of my UHD discs to my NAS backup. Plan is to stream to Nvidia Shield devices running Plex at the various TVs around the house, but possibly also to tablets in the future. As I've been ripping, I've been selecting both the (using your image above as an example) DTS-HD MA Surround 7.1 English and the DTS Surround 5.1 English audio tracks for every file (when Dolby, I've been selecting both the TrueHD and the core track underneath it).

1) Is that necessary? Or can I get away with just the DTS-HD MA Surround 7.1 and TrueHD tracks, leaving out the core tracks underneath?
2) For the 30+ movies I have already ripped, does it make sense to go back in with MKVToolNix and delete out the core track to save a little space, or would that screw me over when trying to stream to tablets (putting aside the fact that I may not be able to transcode these 4k files quickly enough for tablet viewing anyways)?
3) If I leave the core track in there for the rips I have already done, how do I ensure that the DTS-HD MA Surround 7.1/Atmos tracks are what play first, with the secondary track only playing if there is a compatibility issue with the playback device (since I'm not ripping menus etc)?

Thanks!

1) No, it is not necessary to do it, just rip the top one unless there's some reason why you might want another. For music blurays, for example, I will typically do the top audio track along with the usually included 2ch PCM stereo track.

2) Good luck getting a tablet to play a 4K movie even transcoded. But to answer your question, no it probably doesn't make much sense.
3) Any half ass decent player, even MPC or VLC, will let you pick the audio track you want. Personally, I only rip with the top one. Even when I stream to a tablet, the player does the transcoding of the audio files and outputs what you have available. For example, when I stream with a tablet with stereo speakers, MPC (with LAV Filters installed) will take the TrueHD track and output stereo. There's no need to chase your tail trying to match up the proper audio stream for all your equipment.
post #2050 of 2711 Old 01-18-2019, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks! That was what I figured, but wanted to double check
post #2051 of 2711 Old 01-19-2019, 07:15 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9324 Post(s)
Liked: 6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumjon View Post
1) No, it is not necessary to do it, just rip the top one unless there's some reason why you might want another. For music blurays, for example, I will typically do the top audio track along with the usually included 2ch PCM stereo track.

2) Good luck getting a tablet to play a 4K movie even transcoded. But to answer your question, no it probably doesn't make much sense.
3) Any half ass decent player, even MPC or VLC, will let you pick the audio track you want. Personally, I only rip with the top one. Even when I stream to a tablet, the player does the transcoding of the audio files and outputs what you have available. For example, when I stream with a tablet with stereo speakers, MPC (with LAV Filters installed) will take the TrueHD track and output stereo. There's no need to chase your tail trying to match up the proper audio stream for all your equipment.
If the tablet has an equivalent processor as a modern cell phone, then it isn't an issue to direct stream the UHD MKVs. I have a Galaxy S8 cell phone on Verizon. I can stream my UHD MKV rips to my Galaxy S8 with no video transcoding. The TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio is transcoded though. But the video is sent directly. I can direct stream over Verizon wireless to my cell phone with no issues. And over wifi at work and my GFs house with no issues to my cell phone.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 01-19-2019 at 07:25 AM.
post #2052 of 2711 Old 01-19-2019, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Sort of OT: I have run into a few situations recently where the procedure I was using for subtitles is not working when using MakeMKV for ripping MKV files. Which of the two boxes (or both) in the red rectangle need to be checked if I want English sub titles when foreign language is spoken?

You'd want forced only. These will be subtitles that are shown only because the video metadata says it must be shown (I.e., forced on) which should be the parts where the foreign languages are shown.

This is assuming that the video is properly coded to do this.
post #2053 of 2711 Old 01-20-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
You'd want forced only. These will be subtitles that are shown only because the video metadata says it must be shown (I.e., forced on) which should be the parts where the foreign languages are shown.

This is assuming that the video is properly coded to do this.
Thanks. It turns out that the product I am using to play my MKV files (Dune) has issues with sub titles. I was just checking the forced box but now I know I was doing it correctly.

I will look to use my Oppo Blu Ray player to play those files and wait until the Dune works properly!!
post #2054 of 2711 Old 01-20-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Thanks. It turns out that the product I am using to play my MKV files (Dune) has issues with sub titles. I was just checking the forced box but now I know I was doing it correctly.

I will look to use my Oppo Blu Ray player to play those files and wait until the Dune works properly!!

You may well be checking the correct box - but irrespective of which combination I chose, I have NEVER been able to get MakeMKV to correctly flag 'forced' subtitle tracks. I check all ripped titles, where I know there should be a forced track, in MKVToolnix - Header Editor and make sure the subtitle track is correctly identified.
post #2055 of 2711 Old 01-20-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
You may well be checking the correct box - but irrespective of which combination I chose, I have NEVER been able to get MakeMKV to correctly flag 'forced' subtitle tracks. I check all ripped titles, where I know there should be a forced track, in MKVToolnix - Header Editor and make sure the subtitle track is correctly identified.
With software media players yes, but does any hardware media playback device support this feature? Personally I don't know of any!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #2056 of 2711 Old 01-20-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
I thought you were a Kaleidescape user. Curious under what circumstances do you rip movies?
post #2057 of 2711 Old 01-20-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
I thought you were a Kaleidescape user. Curious under what circumstances do you rip movies?

The same circumstances that made you jump ship. I maintain a small selection of disc titles that don't carry immersive audio in Kaleidescape.
SuperFist likes this.
post #2058 of 2711 Old 01-21-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknhomeaudio View Post
Anyone have any input on the above?
post #2059 of 2711 Old 01-21-2019, 02:39 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quote:
Only if you want too much for a slow drive with a super cool logo on it? No. Until ASUS retires the BW-16D1HT it will remain the king. Can't be that 8X rip speed and the super accurate rips on top of it.
SuperFist likes this.

post #2060 of 2711 Old 01-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcoluzzi32 View Post
Only if you want too much for a slow drive with a super cool logo on it? No. Until ASUS retires the BW-16D1HT it will remain the king. Can't be that 8X rip speed and the super accurate rips on top of it.
Okay, thanks! Are they ready to roll out of the box, or do they require some firmware stuff?
post #2061 of 2711 Old 01-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quote:
Okay, thanks! Are they ready to roll out of the box, or do they require some firmware stuff?
Sent you a PM sir. The walls have ears.
lknhomeaudio likes this.

post #2062 of 2711 Old 01-22-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If I open an ISO file with MakeMKV I can obtain an MKV file but I'd like to save the ISO file as BDMV folder. In the same way I do a backup when I'm inserting a physical disc. Is it possible?
I've tons of ISO files and would like to convert them to BDMV folders.
post #2063 of 2711 Old 01-22-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanop View Post
If I open an ISO file with MakeMKV I can obtain an MKV file but I'd like to save the ISO file as BDMV folder. In the same way I do a backup when I'm inserting a physical disc. Is it possible?
"File" Menu then select "backup" in MakeMKV.
post #2064 of 2711 Old 01-22-2019, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
It should happen the same way as when you do this with the physical disc. If not, just mount the ISO to a virtual drive and MakeMKV will treat it the same.
post #2065 of 2711 Old 01-22-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post
"File" Menu then select "backup" in MakeMKV.
it remains grayed
post #2066 of 2711 Old 01-22-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
It should happen the same way as when you do this with the physical disc. If not, just mount the ISO to a virtual drive and MakeMKV will treat it the same.
I use MAC OS X what kind of software may I use to do it?
post #2067 of 2711 Old 01-22-2019, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
I use MAC OS X what kind of software may I use to do it?
Have you tried double-clicking the ISO file?
post #2068 of 2711 Old 01-22-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
it remains grayed

Just let the disk do the initial load without clicking on the drive and you’ll be able to click on “backup”.
post #2069 of 2711 Old 01-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Have you tried double-clicking the ISO file?
Yes it gets mounted but MakeMKV still doesn't detect it. MakeMKV only lists physical Drives which are empty 'cause there's no loaded discs.
post #2070 of 2711 Old 01-22-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
Just let the disk do the initial load without clicking on the drive and you’ll be able to click on “backup”.
With disc I have no problem at all in doing backup. Problem is with ISO images created with AnyDVD. If I choose File Open it analyzes the iso file and proceed with normal MKV creation and so I can't launch the backup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page