Ripping UHD 4k discs with Makemkv: Instructions How-to - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 873Likes

post #2101 of 2505 Old 01-30-2019, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcoluzzi32 View Post
As a matter of fact yes, I did a full disc backup of this flick just last week. My original rip had a couple spots where it froze up. That being said it seems like certain titles you know you've ripped before occasionally disappear from the keys file only to return again later. Where do they go? LOL

I just checked my NAS and I see that I created an MKV copy back in March of last year so you are correct, it did work at one time.

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2505 Old 01-30-2019, 11:52 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins95 View Post
I just checked my NAS and I see that I created an MKV copy back in March of last year so you are correct, it did work at one time.

I wasn’t lying
He’s very good about keeping the key file current but the last few months there’s been some shenanigans going down on occasion. Flicks you know had keys suddenly reporting no key.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #2103 of 2505 Old 02-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
I wasn’t lying
He’s very good about keeping the key file current but the last few months there’s been some shenanigans going down on occasion. Flicks you know had keys suddenly reporting no key.....

I was able to burn an ISO copy of American Assassin using Dvdfab's UHD copy software!!

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2104 of 2505 Old 02-08-2019, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Has anyone tried ripping "Stranger Things" season 2 UHD with makemkv yet? I started to watch the rips tonight but the chapters (possibly the episodes as well) are not in order. If someone has run into this and has a solution, I would appreciate it. I did a Google search and also a search on the makemkv forums but didn't find any results pertaining to this issue.
It's a common issue and whenever I get motivated about it again, it's an issue I plan to work on. All we need for some simple code to fix the TV ripping conundrum is the EXACT EPISODE LENGTHS (to the second or fraction of a second). Somewhat mind-blowingly, I've never been able to find such data. I know it's out there--most of the streaming services have data on the episode lengths. If there's not already a database that normal folks can access with to-the-second episode lengths (I've never been able to find one), then all we need to do is, in some fashion (crawler, request the data, etc), get the data and put it into something like TVDB. Then my ripping scripts could figure out not only exactly which tracks to pull but also label them as the appropriate episode, or at least put them in order.
lujan and SuperFist like this.
post #2105 of 2505 Old 02-08-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I'm struggling to get caught up on the HDR issues. It seems like the main issues are only with Dolby Vision and now HDR10+, but that the base HDR10 layer (at least from a disc with DV) is supposed to play fine in an MKV container?

My MKV of Blackkklansman (from the UHD with Dolby Vision) may disagree ...

Maybe it was something else but it seemed like it had a compressed dynamic video range. Are we supposed to do anything special with Makemkv to get it to pull the HDR10 info correctly? Or to get certain players to play it correctly?

In other news, I saw that official LG drives are supported or are about to be.

Has anyone tried ripping the "ENHANCED IMAX" discs yet? I'm very curious how the aspect ratio side of things is working there. The only thing I'm interested in with these discs is the expanded aspect ratio. I'm real curious if they've figured out a way for only "imax certified" players to show the expanded aspect ratio (seems doubtful though) and, if so, can we simply rip it?
post #2106 of 2505 Old 02-08-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Check to make sure the 3D doesnt default to Right eye sync instead of Left Eye (majority of titles). I had that happen with Kong Skull Island when I remixed with Atmos and the image looked like it was ghosting super hard and the depth was weird, I had to remux with right eye sync checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
You are definitely on to to something.

I ticked the "Use base video stream for right eye" on the BluRay Tab of tsMuxeR and tried again - but it seemed the same. BUT - I flipped my 3D glasses around (left eye with right lens....) - and voila - 3D image was correct.

Can you clarify if I ticked the correct box in the correct software?
Most 3d players have an option to switch L/R eye configuration on the fly. Should be in the on-screen menu settings.
post #2107 of 2505 Old 02-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Most 3d players have an option to switch L/R eye configuration on the fly. Should be in the on-screen menu settings.
Neither on mine did when you are using frame packed 3D (no option in projector either).
post #2108 of 2505 Old 02-08-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6277 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
So I'm struggling to get caught up on the HDR issues. It seems like the main issues are only with Dolby Vision and now HDR10+, but that the base HDR10 layer (at least from a disc with DV) is supposed to play fine in an MKV container?

Maybe it was something else but it seemed like it had a compressed dynamic video range. Are we supposed to do anything special with Makemkv to get it to pull the HDR10 info correctly? Or to get certain players to play it correctly?

Has anyone tried ripping the "ENHANCED IMAX" discs yet? I'm very curious how the aspect ratio side of things is working there. The only thing I'm interested in with these discs is the expanded aspect ratio. I'm real curious if they've figured out a way for only "imax certified" players to show the expanded aspect ratio (seems doubtful though) and, if so, can we simply rip it?

I haven’t seen any issues with HDR10 discs via my ATV4K and Infuse. Have you played the DV/HDR10 of the disc? It’s not a “pop” filled movie, if anything it’s sort of desaturated on purpose. There is nothing special needed. The HDR10 base layer is what is ripped and plays back via MKV.

Yes, they are (but not all firmwares, we discussed this a page or two back).
post #2109 of 2505 Old 02-08-2019, 03:06 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Quote:

DV, HDR10+, and IMAX enhanced discs all rip fine. The IMAX enhanced discs I tried just filled the 16:9 screen, like other IMAX titles.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2110 of 2505 Old 02-08-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Neither on mine did when you are using frame packed 3D (no option in projector either).
Very strange....What player and projector are you using? Frame packed MVC 3d is exactly the type of 3D in which you would need this option..... network streaming players (Zidoo, Mede8er, etc) should always have the option in its pop up menus to switch the base stream eye view for those rare titles that use the right eye instead of the much more common left...not to mention most all projectors have the menu option to swap if needed.
post #2111 of 2505 Old 02-08-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:

I had no issues ripping Blackkklansman to MKV and playing back in Infuse on my ATV4K. Also, what exactly are you expecting with 'expanded aspect ratios'? This just shows how confusing the marketing speak is for 'IMAX Enhanced'. There is literally nothing special required to display a certain aspect ratio on blu-ray, it's just where you put the black bars. So they are going to display in 1.9:1 and slap an 'IMAX Enhanced' sticker on the box? It's ridiculous.
post #2112 of 2505 Old 02-08-2019, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Very strange....What player and projector are you using? Frame packed MVC 3d is exactly the type of 3D in which you would need this option..... network streaming players (Zidoo, Mede8er, etc) should always have the option in its pop up menus to switch the base stream eye view for those rare titles that use the right eye instead of the much more common left...not to mention most all projectors have the menu option to swap if needed.
Samsung, Oppo players and Sony projector. We went through this back when the original post was made, I posted all the option screen shots. I dont know why they decided to bring it back up it was months ago lol.
post #2113 of 2505 Old 02-08-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Samsung, Oppo players and Sony projector. We went through this back when the original post was made, I posted all the option screen shots. I dont know why they decided to bring it back up it was months ago lol.
That is funny! oh well, based on your equipment, I see why you dont have the option... bluray players as streamers are always much more limited compared to actual network players... cant speak to the Sony projector though...
aaronwt likes this.
post #2114 of 2505 Old 02-09-2019, 03:50 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
I have an Oppo 203 and Sony VPL-HW55ES Projector - and can't see the option you refer to....I let Oppo know of the issue, but they were unaware of the need to build a "switch" into the players - pretty rare thing, I guess.

My Lumagen 2020 appears to have this option - but it is not controlling my glasses, and switching it ON doesn't appear to fix it. I only have it on one disc at the moment, Live Die Repeat - Edge of Tomorrow.

So I'll just have to remember to wear the glasses upside down when watching it....

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #2115 of 2505 Old 02-09-2019, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Also, what exactly are you expecting with 'expanded aspect ratios'? This just shows how confusing the marketing speak is for 'IMAX Enhanced'. There is literally nothing special required to display a certain aspect ratio on blu-ray, it's just where you put the black bars. So they are going to display in 1.9:1 and slap an 'IMAX Enhanced' sticker on the box? It's ridiculous.
I mean "expanded" as in 16:9 vs 21:9. Not all films that opened up to 16:9 in theaters do so on disc format (Avengers: Infinity War being the most note-worthy mention, as the entire thing was filmed in IMAX format but was cut down to 21:9 for the home video release.) My assumption has been that these "IMAX Enhanced" versions will do so though.
post #2116 of 2505 Old 02-09-2019, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I haven’t seen any issues with HDR10 discs via my ATV4K and Infuse. Have you played the DV/HDR10 of the disc? It’s not a “pop” filled movie, if anything it’s sort of desaturated on purpose. There is nothing special needed. The HDR10 base layer is what is ripped and plays back via MKV. .
Testing out Blackkklansman last night, I discovered that it looked MUCH better when I switched one of the Epson settings over to "HDR Mode 1" (or something to that effect). Apparently "auto" can't figure out which dynamic range mode to actually use. It was the same when I played the actual disc too.

Don't know if I'm relieved though that it turned out to be an issue of "guess what setting you have to tweak to make this UHD HDR movie look decent!!" instead of a ripping issue.
post #2117 of 2505 Old 02-09-2019, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
I have an Oppo 203 and Sony VPL-HW55ES Projector - and can't see the option you refer to....I let Oppo know of the issue, but they were unaware of the need to build a "switch" into the players - pretty rare thing, I guess.

My Lumagen 2020 appears to have this option - but it is not controlling my glasses, and switching it ON doesn't appear to fix it. I only have it on one disc at the moment, Live Die Repeat - Edge of Tomorrow.

So I'll just have to remember to wear the glasses upside down when watching it....
Did you leave the setting on for a while? I know one of my players that has that setting available (I think it's the Zappiti) can take a disconcerting long time to actually switch. Sometimes I have to press pause/play.
post #2118 of 2505 Old 02-09-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you leave the setting on for a while? I know one of my players that has that setting available (I think it's the Zappiti) can take a disconcerting long time to actually switch. Sometimes I have to press pause/play.
+1... ya, not to mention, on my old Mede8er, I literally would have to bring up the menu, select the eye view switch option, and upon selecting it, nothing would happen... it was only after selecting it a second time (or possibly some combo of pause/play) would the 3D view swap and snap into proper sequence.
post #2119 of 2505 Old 02-09-2019, 03:50 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

New additions to the MakeMKV family. WH16NS60 rom ver. 1.00 (currently shipping with unsupported 1.01).
The slim drive is the BU40N also rom ver. 1.00 (ship with 1.02 no good).

These are LG “Official UHD” drives, notice the dope logo!

Brajesh, aaronwt and SuperFist like this.

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #2120 of 2505 Old 02-09-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
I mean "expanded" as in 16:9 vs 21:9. Not all films that opened up to 16:9 in theaters do so on disc format (Avengers: Infinity War being the most note-worthy mention, as the entire thing was filmed in IMAX format but was cut down to 21:9 for the home video release.) My assumption has been that these "IMAX Enhanced" versions will do so though.
I hope you're right, I also prefer when movies on blu-ray are displayed in their original theater aspect ratios. Something tells me that won't be a guarantee though even with the IMAX Enhanced sticker, but we'll see.
post #2121 of 2505 Old 02-09-2019, 07:31 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Quote:
The ones I watched were in the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2122 of 2505 Old 02-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Does anyone in this group own, or rent, a Zappati 4K HDR player?

post #2123 of 2505 Old 02-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Does anyone in this group own, or rent, a Zappati 4K HDR player?

I believe there is a thread for that player in the NetWork Media Tank section.
post #2124 of 2505 Old 02-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I believe there is a thread for that player in the NetWork Media Tank section.
Yes there is, but this is directly related to ripping 4K UHD discs with makeMKV, hence me asking here.

post #2125 of 2505 Old 02-12-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Yes there is, but this is directly related to ripping 4K UHD discs with makeMKV, hence me asking here.

You may want to ask the question, it could be that owners of different devices have gone through a similar situation (it could be unrelated to the device).
post #2126 of 2505 Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

You're right, OK, does anyone own a Zappiti 4K box and use it to play 4K UHD blu ray rips in the BDMV folder format? You know, that thing only the Oppo seems to be able to do and no other piece of software or hardware in the universe. Thank you.

post #2127 of 2505 Old 02-12-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
You're right, OK, does anyone own a Zappiti 4K box and use it to play 4K UHD blu ray rips in the BDMV folder format? You know, that thing only the Oppo seems to be able to do and no other piece of software or hardware in the universe. Thank you.
You've just reminded me that I really must get around to testing the 4K media file playback capabilities of my VU+ UNO 4K SE satellite box.

Which further reminds me that back in the olden' days when I used to test Zensonic, Ziova and Xtreamer network media players, they were all able to play 2K Blu-ray disc.iso file back-ups and BDMV folder back-ups via SMB just fine.
SuperFist likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #2128 of 2505 Old 02-12-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Other players can play back in the folder format the only thing that separates the Oppo is the DV capability via Folder playback. I’ve played folder rips for testing purposes via Infuse on my ATV4K, but it only gives me HDR10 not DV. Are you asking about DV playback via Zappiti?
alexcoluzzi32 likes this.
post #2129 of 2505 Old 02-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
@giomania spreadsheet is a handy resource for comparing.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post56261844
giomania and SuperFist like this.
post #2130 of 2505 Old 02-12-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 286
For 4K rips, consider Zidoo X or Z series. Terrific performance. nVidia Shield TV as well. Or, on the cheap, an AMLogic S912 box running CoreELEC.
Ph8te likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page