Ripping UHD 4k discs with Makemkv: Instructions How-to - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 936Likes

post #2161 of 2703 Old 02-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I have been ripping my BD discs for years with makmkv but now want to try 4K UHD discs. I need one of these UHD friendly drives to do so but Im in New Zealand and not sure what and where to get the right one, is there anyone here who can direct me please?
Is Australia close enough? https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18747
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2703 Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Yes it is close but I would save alot on exchange rate and shipping if I could buy what i need here in NZ.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #2163 of 2703 Old 02-27-2019, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes it is close but I would save alot on exchange rate and shipping if I could buy what i need here in NZ.
Well, if you are comfortable doing firmware downgrades yourself, all you need is an Asus BC-12D2HT / BW-16D1HT or LG BH16NS40/NS55 (WH16NS40/NS55). Here is what you need to downgrade the firmware to a firmware that will work to rip UHD discs: https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17058
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 2703 Old 02-27-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, if you are comfortable doing firmware downgrades yourself, all you need is an Asus BC-12D2HT / BW-16D1HT or LG BH16NS40/NS55 (WH16NS40/NS55). Here is what you need to downgrade the firmware to a firmware that will work to rip UHD discs: https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17058
OMG that looks very complex to do I think I will need to buy one thats ready for rippings UHD discs, may have to go to Australia as i dont know if I can get the right thing in NZ

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #2165 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4581 Post(s)
Liked: 2657
Quote:
OMG that looks very complex to do I think I will need to buy one thats ready for rippings UHD discs, may have to go to Australia as i dont know if I can get the right thing in NZ
Yes it is for some of us. When I tried it, I couldn't get it to work and think it probably had to do with the wrong Motherboard? I ended up getting the ready made UHD compatible disc player.

lujan
558 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #2166 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

How are rip speeds on these drives? I've got an older Samsung SH-B123L which is riplocked and I get about 6x max while ripping. I've not ventured in to UHD yet but if I do an upgrade I may as well get one that's ready when I do!

I'm eyeing the BW-16D1HT over the 12D2HT (or maybe one of the LG drives) based on being 16x rather than 12x speed. Is the difference significant? At this point the my drives are strictly for ripping....

(and I have zero issue with rolling back firmware and hex editing.......)

Thanks!
post #2167 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
How are rip speeds on these drives? I've got an older Samsung SH-B123L which is riplocked and I get about 6x max while ripping. I've not ventured in to UHD yet but if I do an upgrade I may as well get one that's ready when I do!

I'm eyeing the BW-16D1HT over the 12D2HT (or maybe one of the LG drives) based on being 16x rather than 12x speed. Is the difference significant? At this point the my drives are strictly for ripping....

(and I have zero issue with rolling back firmware and hex editing.......)

Thanks!
Although I don't watch makemkv closely while its ripping, I've never seen over 8x. Also, I believe the LG drives can be cross-flashed with the Asus firmware, which unlocks the higher rip speed for those drives too. Ask @alexcoluzzi32 for more details (and to verify that I am correct!)
post #2168 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 10:34 AM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
PM is coming.

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #2169 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 10:40 AM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

You will not get over 8X ripping a 4K UHD blu ray and that is under optimum conditions, so pay no attention to those numbers unless you're burning DVD and 2K Blu Rays.
Also not all drives are alike, some are AACS 2.0 fluent so that when the encryption actually is cracked some drives will never need to do the bogus key thing ever again, and these drives also do not suffer from the 2 minute drive lockup issue. They are called UHD "official" drives and are stamped with the UHD Blu Ray logo on the bezel. Now that makemkv supports them they are really the drive to have for future proofing. I think I posted a picture a page or two back.

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #2170 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcoluzzi32 View Post
You will not get over 8X ripping a 4K UHD blu ray and that is under optimum conditions, so pay no attention to those numbers unless you're burning DVD and 2K Blu Rays.
Also not all drives are alike, some are AACS 2.0 fluent so that when the encryption actually is cracked some drives will never need to do the bogus key thing ever again, and these drives also do not suffer from the 2 minute drive lockup issue. They are called UHD "official" drives and are stamped with the UHD Blu Ray logo on the bezel. Now that makemkv supports them they are really the drive to have for future proofing. I think I posted a picture a page or two back.
alex if I replace the old drive Ive been using for years ripping BDs and DVDs with makemkv, will a new UHD drive still rip BDs and DVD?
Is it also a matter of just removing the old one in my PC and reconnecting the same cables to the new one?
After that there is nothing else to do, just start ripping my 4K films using makemkv, thats it???

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #2171 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 11:33 AM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quote:
alex if I replace the old drive Ive been using for years ripping BDs and DVDs with makemkv, will a new UHD drive still rip BDs and DVD?
Is it also a matter of just removing the old one in my PC and reconnecting the same cables to the new one?
After that there is nothing else to do, just start ripping my 4K films using makemkv, thats it???
Yes, yes, and another yes. It's just that easy.

post #2172 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 11:44 AM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yes, the folders/files need to be put in a new folder called "AVCHD". When navigating to that folder just press play and the film should start playing. On the Apple TV it starts the film, on the OPPO it will have the full menu structure. You only need to use BDMV Modifier on 1080p Blu-ray rips, not on the 4K UHD rips.

The Apple TV use was with Infuse, I haven't used any other program on the Apple TV for LAN content.
Yeah so, I must still be doing something wrong because when I run infuse I've got a whole screen of "just added" movies named AVCHD, basically everything is called AVCHD. Is this the "metadata" issue they speak of on the Infuse forum?

post #2173 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Alex is really great to work with, if you decide to have him ship you a drive!
SuperFist likes this.
post #2174 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is that 8X for UHD but not bluray? My current drive is SLOW when it comes to bluray. I'm pretty sure that due to the riplock in the firmware I average about 2x-3x speed (~45 minutes to rip a bluray).
post #2175 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 12:59 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
Is that 8X for UHD but not bluray? My current drive is SLOW when it comes to bluray. I'm pretty sure that due to the riplock in the firmware I average about 2x-3x speed (~45 minutes to rip a bluray).
I always understood riplock to be a temporary condition which occurs when a disc is left in the drive with the tray close for longer than 2 minutes. When attempting to rip the disc after the two minutes have elapsed the speed of the drive is limited to 2x. Restating the drive or ejecting the disc will fix the condition. Am I thinking of something else?

post #2176 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked: 3645
Quote:
Yeah so, I must still be doing something wrong because when I run infuse I've got a whole screen of "just added" movies named AVCHD, basically everything is called AVCHD. Is this the "metadata" issue they speak of on the Infuse forum?
Have you let Infuse update? I find that after adding content that's to be accessed by Infuse I have to scroll down a couple of times before Infuse puts all the files where they should be.

I don't know what metadata issue you're referring to.
Ph8te likes this.
post #2177 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 03:03 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Ripping UHD 4k discs with Makemkv: Instructions How-to

Scroll down what? I have 3 drives that I've SHARED the entire contents of. Those show up next to library. Then the only other stuff showing on the screen are under recently added and it's picking up the movie names, I've started a few and stopped them, but that's it. When I turn the ATV4K on in the morning and start infuse it says something about being out of disc space and that it cleared all the metadata. I'll let this app stay open for awhile and see what happens. Now I've moved the folders out of the AVCHD folder so now the directory structure is deepwater_horizon/avchd and /makemkv and /bdmv and /certificate. What you were saying is make so it's only deepwater_horizon/avchd and /makemkv?

I know this should be easy and I'm probably over thinking it.

Last edited by alexcoluzzi32; 03-04-2019 at 05:16 PM.
post #2178 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6504 Post(s)
Liked: 6217
Quote:
Scroll down what? I have 3 drives that I've the entire contents of. Those show up next to library. Then the only other stuff showing on the screen are under recently added and it's picking up the movie names, I've started a few and stopped them, but that's it. When I turn the ATV4K on in the morning and start infuse it says something about being out of disc space and that it cleared all the metadata. I'll let this app stay open for awhile and see what happens. Now I've moved the folders out of the AVCHD folder so now the directory structure is deepwater_horizon/avchd and /makemkv and /bdmv and /certificate. What you were saying is make so it's only deepwater_horizon/avchd and /makemkv?

I know this should be easy and I'm probably over thinking it.

You can see the progress of the metadata of you go to the library section of settings. Until that’s done you’ll keep restarting the process unfortunately. Apple automatically flushed the memory sometimes so you do lose the meta data. Hoping with 6 we can sync to cloud much more easily so a full rescan isn’t needed every time this happens.
post #2179 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I always understood riplock to be a temporary condition which occurs when a disc is left in the drive with the tray close for longer than 2 minutes. When attempting to rip the disc after the two minutes have elapsed the speed of the drive is limited to 2x. Restating the drive or ejecting the disc will fix the condition. Am I thinking of something else?

Riplock is a "feature" to slow down the reading of video data from Blurays / DVD's. The official statement is this is done to reduce noise from the drive while playing videos. Usually the drives are limited to 2x - 4x max if riplock is enabled. This can be removed in a firmware patch on some drives... Stock firmwares usually have it enabled.
post #2180 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Hi @RapalloAV ,

I see that @ddgdl provided you with the link to my thread over in the MakeMKV forum. Alex (alexcoluzzi32) also sent me an email to get in touch with you.

I've been providing UHD friendly drives for my fellow Aussie's for a while now and can happily send one across the pond to NZ for you. I have a LG BH16NS55 with UHD Friendly firmware installed, tested and ready to go. Price is AUD$160.00 with FREE Postage.

Contact me if you are interested.

Cheers!
aaronwt and alexcoluzzi32 like this.
post #2181 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 06:37 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

I should have mentioned there Nuts no blatant solicitations to sell unless it's in the classified section, I'd edit your post and use PM K

post #2182 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 06:41 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quote:
Although I don't watch makemkv closely while its ripping, I've never seen over 8x. Also, I believe the LG drives can be cross-flashed with the Asus firmware, which unlocks the higher rip speed for those drives too. Ask @alexcoluzzi32 for more details (and to verify that I am correct!)
You are correct but what I've found is that the LG WH16NS60, the official UHD drive, that sucker can hit 8X unmodified with the 1.00 firmware.

The BU40N official drive goes right up to 6X and stays there, even between files, it's amazing to watch.

post #2183 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I should have mentioned there Nuts no blatant solicitations to sell unless it's in the classified section, I'd edit your post and use PM K
Ok, how do I edit a post? I don't see an edit button anywhere?
post #2184 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Should be to the left of "Quote"

post #2185 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Nope. There is quote, Multi-quote and Quick Reply.

Maybe I don't have enough posts yet?
post #2186 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcNuts View Post
Quote:

Depends if you are on your phone or a web browser
post #2187 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcNuts View Post
Quote:

Depends if you are on your phone or a web browser
I use Firefox on my PC. I just tried on my Android phone and don't see anything but quote or add.
post #2188 of 2703 Old 02-28-2019, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Yeah, you need more posts first (10 I think) before you get edit options.
post #2189 of 2703 Old 03-01-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Yeah, you need more posts first (10 I think) before you get edit options.

OK, cool. Shouldn't take me too long..
post #2190 of 2703 Old 03-02-2019, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It sure what to say, I Place the “folder” within a folder I use for testing (to try and avoid scraping). I navigate to said folder via my “Movies” favorite which links to the root folder of my “Movies” share on my NAS. When I get to the folder with the folder structure I select the needed folder and it plays as if it was an MKV or ISO. Are you having difficulty with Infuse playing folder rips? (You won’t get DV of course, but it will play HDR10).
What’s the advantage of doing it this way over an MKV or ISO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page