Ripping UHD 4k discs with Makemkv: Instructions How-to - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 873Likes

post #2431 of 2505 Old 04-27-2019, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I think it's time for me to buy one of these portable slim-line UHD drives?

Beware i have the BP60NB10 it only works with Deuhd it doesn't work with Makemkv or DVDfab.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2505 Old 04-27-2019, 10:31 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Beware i have the BP60NB10 it only works with Deuhd it doesn't work with Makemkv or DVDfab.
So you've actually seen one of those work eh? Standard 1.00 firmware on it? Pretty sure it's only had one release of firmware and that was the first one.
MakeMVK should support it soon, well soon being a relative term.

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #2433 of 2505 Old 04-27-2019, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcoluzzi32 View Post
So you've actually seen one of those work eh? Standard 1.00 firmware on it? Pretty sure it's only had one release of firmware and that was the first one.
MakeMVK should support it soon, well soon being a relative term.

Yes standard 1.00 firmware not sure if Makemvk going to support it but it does work great with DEUHD. Got one off Amazon last week.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 2505 Old 04-27-2019, 10:49 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
Drive flashing update. You can directly flash the MK firmware, so it takes one click to fix a drive now -- take all that Win7 32-bit PE boot disc and BIOS setting nonsense and forget about it. Glad I donated to Mike.

As my 2nd drive, I got the LG NS60 which is an official UHD drive that can play discs with the crappy Cyberlink software if I ever decide to go that route. The drive does seem better at reading triple layer discs, because I'm currently ripping a Transformers the Last Knight disc that my dear departed Asus BW16D1HT and NS50 LG weren't even able to mount. Also seems to be much faster -- read rate is steady at 5.4x. Will be interesting to see if I can knock off the other unreadable discs in my library. Don't ask me why I'm ripping TTLK, it's a horrible movie...
Because it's "reference quality bro" LOL. If I hear one more movie referred to as reference grade I'm going to puke. But seriously, it's a good watch. And in the very first scene they rip off Gladiator and Game Of Thrones simultaneously. Could lump Lord Of The Rings in there but I don't remember seeing Gandalf drunk ever.
The NS60 IS an awesome drive. I've been singing it's praises for a long time back when you could only cross flash it to an ASUS BW16. Speaking of which the NS60 will do 8X just like the beloved ASUS, doesn't suffer from the "sleep bug" and is AACS LS certified which is why it gets to wear the UHD blu ray logo proudly. Fry's used to routinely have them on sale for $74 each I could never buy enough. Take that back I eventually bought them all. Fry's and LG aren't doing business right now over pricing disputes so don't go to Fry's looking for an LG drives, or LG OLEDs. What was the point?

Oh yeah, when it comes to having more than one drive, have an LG and have an ASUS, trust me on this. Yes I know they're basically the same inside. 9 times out of 10 when I've had a disc that's given me trouble in the ASUS I've had success ripping it in an LG, and vice versa. Can't explain it, don't want to, just works.
And talk to me about slim drives! Wakanda Forever!

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #2435 of 2505 Old 04-29-2019, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Anyone had any success ripping Alien 4K or The Witch 4K (US versions) to ISO?

Thanks.
Ray

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
post #2436 of 2505 Old 04-30-2019, 02:40 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Drive flashing update. You can directly flash the MK firmware, so it takes one click to fix a drive now -- take all that Win7 32-bit PE boot disc and BIOS setting nonsense and forget about it. Glad I donated to Mike.

As my 2nd drive, I got the LG NS60 which is an official UHD drive that can play discs with the crappy Cyberlink software if I ever decide to go that route. The drive does seem better at reading triple layer discs, because I'm currently ripping a Transformers the Last Knight disc that my dear departed Asus BW16D1HT and NS50 LG weren't even able to mount. Also seems to be much faster -- read rate is steady at 5.4x. Will be interesting to see if I can knock off the other unreadable discs in my library. Don't ask me why I'm ripping TTLK, it's a horrible movie...

Is this what you are referring to?

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18873

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #2437 of 2505 Old 04-30-2019, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Is this what you are referring to?
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18873
Yup. It's a confusing thread. If you watch the video linked within, you'll see two programs being used. Don't do that. You only need one. Just directly flash the firmware from Mike labeled MK with the patched Asus flasher (worked on my 2 LG drives). So easy. It will take you longer to extract the drive from the Amazon packaging than it will to flash it.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme

Last edited by Taxcheat; 04-30-2019 at 05:02 PM.
post #2438 of 2505 Old 05-02-2019, 06:25 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Yup. It's a confusing thread. If you watch the video linked within, you'll see two programs being used. Don't do that. You only need one. Just directly flash the firmware from Mike labeled MK with the patched Asus flasher (worked on my 2 LG drives). So easy. It will take you longer to extract the drive from the Amazon packaging than it will to flash it.
Thank you, sir! I did the research, digested the information, and updated my document linked in my signature accordingly, so it should be easier for the apprehensive.

That said, let's make sure I got it right:

Quote:
Requirements
• Asus or LG UHD-friendly drive with a 2015+ build date an “NS50” or “NS60” svc code on drive.
• Modified firmware; The download link for “MK Firmware Pack” with multiple firmware files is here.
• For owner’s with an ASUS BC-12B1ST, BC-12D2HT, BW-16D1HT or a BW-16D1HT-U, you can use this modified ASUS firmware update software that allows firmware downgrade from 3.03.
• For owner’s with LG drives, use this modified official MTK flasher that allows firmware downgrades and cross-flashing (see threads for details). This flasher operates using drive self-update mode.

Process Overview

1) Download the MK Firmware Pack: https://www.makemkv.com/download/mk-...k-20190319.zip
2) Ensure the required firmware for your drive model / SVS Code / Firmware is contained in the pack.
3) Download the LG MTK flasher or the ASUS tool if you have an ASUS BW-16D1HT with 3.03 Firmware.
4) Install your program of choice into the same folder that you placed the custom firmware pack files from step 1.
5) Watch this video, which demonstrates using both the programs.
6) Downgrade your firmware.

Asus Tool Instructions

1) Run ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe.
2) In popup window, navigate to the location of the MK Firmware pack “ASUS” folder, and the correct Asus model folder.
3) Select a firmware file to flash. (If you click CANCEL, the auto default firmware is ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02)
4) When the main interface opens, select your drive (if not already selected)
5) Hit "START" button. The drive tray will open. Once firmware flash is completed, drive tray will close again.

LG MTK Flasher Instructions

1) Run BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe.
2) Select the target drive in the drop-down menu.
3) Click on the “Browse” button, navigate to the location of the MK Firmware pack “HL-DT-ST Firmware” folder
4) Find the correct LG model folder, and select a firmware file to flash.
5) Click on the "Flash" button.
It seems like the Asus tool can only be used for Asus drives, and the MTK Flasher can be used for either, but if I have that wrong, please let me know.

I have three backup drives (don't ask) that according to my records, I already flashed, but I downloaded the files and both tools anyway, just in case I need them in the future.

Mark
cnelson87 likes this.
post #2439 of 2505 Old 05-03-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
It seems like the Asus tool can only be used for Asus drives, and the MTK Flasher can be used for either, but if I have that wrong, please let me know.
It's even easier. Both tools work on both brands. I used both on my first LG, and then the Asus tool alone on the second LG. I'd just recommend using the Asus tool because it's confirmed to work. So the process is identical regardless of drive.

The "requirements" are also a bit misleading. The service codes only apply to LG, and it's probably easier and more accurate to provide a list of drives that have MK firmware available (Asus BC12 or BW16; plus tons of LG drives like the slim BU40 and BU50, weird foreign skus like CH12NS40, etc). You just need to add the warning that it has to be a 2015+ drive, because the idiots at Asus used the same model number for older drives without BDXL capability -- I got one and sent it back to Amazon. I think my newest drive has a service codes of NS60 (I forgot to take a photo before installing), so saying look for the SVC code is a model-dependent thing. For my NS60 drive, you don't need to look at the service code because it was always made with UHD capability.
giomania likes this.

Last edited by Taxcheat; 05-03-2019 at 07:37 AM.
post #2440 of 2505 Old 05-06-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Lots of info in this thread. Perhaps someone could help someone (me!) just starting to investigate ripping of UHD Blu-rays. I have a couple of old LG BD burners that I use in my desktop PC and I have ripped most of my BD collection onto a server (I starting this about a decade ago). I'm now considering replacing one of the old BD drives with one that could be used for ripping UHD BDs. I have a couple of questions for those on this forum with some real world experience in doing this:

Looking at the LG BD burners, I see the low cost alternative would be the WH14NS40 and this requires doing a firmware roll-back using the MTK flasher and the BIN file for this model LG BD drive. A more expensive alternative would be the LG WH16NS60 and this one is supposed to be out-of-the-box compatible with UHD BD playback when used with PowerDVD. Now for the questions:

1. Can you confirm that the WH16NS60 still needs to have hacked firmware to make it compatible with ripping UHD-BDs?

2. Other than being 16x vs. 14X, what are the real advantages for the WH16NS60 over the WH14NS40 for ripping UHD BDs?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 05-06-2019 at 07:43 AM.
post #2441 of 2505 Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Lots of info in this thread. Perhaps someone could help someone (me!) just starting to investigate ripping of UHD Blu-rays. I have a couple of old LG BD burners that I use in my desktop PC and I have ripped most of my BD collection onto a server (I starting this about a decade ago). I now considering replacing one of the old BD drives with one that could be used for ripping UHD BDs. I have a couple of questions for those on this forum with some real world experience in doing this:

Looking at the LG BD burners, I see the low cost alternative would be the WH14NS40 and this requires doing a firmware roll-back using the MTK flasher and the BIN file for this model LG BD drive. A more expensive alternative would be the LG WH16NS60 and this one is supposed to be out-of-the-box compatible with UHD BDs. Now for the questions:

1. Can you confirm that the WH16NS60 still need to have hacked firmware to make it compatible with ripping UHD-BDs?

2. Other than being 16x vs. 14X, what are the real advantages for the WH16NS60 over the WH14NS40 for ripping UHD BDs?
Let Alex hook you up with a drive guaranteed to work. Ignore the rated speed settings- no matter what drive you get, you will never see over 8x rip speed in real world applications
giomania likes this.
post #2442 of 2505 Old 05-06-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
1. Can you confirm that the WH16NS60 still needs to have hacked firmware to make it compatible with ripping UHD-BDs?
No drive can rip without hacked firmware, unless you luck into one with old firmware -- which isn't going to happen.

Quote:
It has a cool UHD logo on it. If you're price sensitive, you're not going to want to pay extra to finish a rip in 85 minutes instead of 90 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Let Alex hook you up with a drive guaranteed to work.
Amazon can deliver a drive to your door next day (or same day) and you can have it ripping 5 minutes after it arrives with one click.

post #2443 of 2505 Old 05-06-2019, 04:16 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Quote:
Lots of info in this thread. Perhaps someone could help someone (me!) just starting to investigate ripping of UHD Blu-rays. I have a couple of old LG BD burners that I use in my desktop PC and I have ripped most of my BD collection onto a server (I starting this about a decade ago). I now considering replacing one of the old BD drives with one that could be used for ripping UHD BDs. I have a couple of questions for those on this forum with some real world experience in doing this:

Looking at the LG BD burners, I see the low cost alternative would be the WH14NS40 and this requires doing a firmware roll-back using the MTK flasher and the BIN file for this model LG BD drive. A more expensive alternative would be the LG WH16NS60 and this one is supposed to be out-of-the-box compatible with UHD BDs. Now for the questions:

1. Can you confirm that the WH16NS60 still need to have hacked firmware to make it compatible with ripping UHD-BDs?

Let Alex hook you up with a drive guaranteed to work. Ignore the rated speed settings- no matter what drive you get, you will never see over 8x rip speed in real world applications
Please excuse Taxcheat it’s his time of the month. Sending you a pm with actual information rather than sarcastic drivel.
poppagene and deano86 like this.

post #2444 of 2505 Old 05-07-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk123 View Post
How can I identify what version of firmware my Bluray drive is running? I found the command to identify the specific model, but no luck finding how to identify the current firmware it has on it.

When you launch MakeMKV it tells you right in the window pane on the right.
post #2445 of 2505 Old 05-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Or device manager > dvd/cd-rom drives > properties > details > hardware ids if you're on a PC with no ripping software installed.

post #2446 of 2505 Old 05-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
When you launch MakeMKV it tells you right in the window pane on the right.
Thanks; not sure how I missed that. Ugh.
post #2447 of 2505 Old 05-07-2019, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 2970
Black Hawk Down

A word of caution if you plan to rip BHD to MKV. This title has the same type complex branching as the Disney titles previously discussed, and may result in audio dropouts being baked into your MKV. I had to do a full disc rip for it to be dropout free.
giomania and MaDMaX** like this.
post #2448 of 2505 Old 05-08-2019, 04:20 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Black Hawk Down

A word of caution if you plan to rip BHD to MKV. This title has the same type complex branching as the Disney titles previously discussed, and may result in audio dropouts being baked into your MKV. I had to do a full disc rip for it to be dropout free.

Thanks for the info; do you know if the software used would result in a correct MKV backup? Maybe CloneBD vs MakeMKV?

Also, I do not recall other titles that have this issue, but I would like to add a complete list to my guide, if someone would be so kind as to list them.

Thank you.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #2449 of 2505 Old 05-08-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Black Hawk Down

Interesting.........Last night I watched this on UHD, and I had a couple of split second drop outs. they were very fast, but was wondering about it because I never have any issues, I have an Oppo player.
giomania likes this.
post #2450 of 2505 Old 05-08-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 2970
Quote:
Thanks for the info; do you know if the software used would result in a correct MKV backup? Maybe CloneBD vs MakeMKV?

Also, I do not recall other titles that have this issue, but I would like to add a complete list to my guide, if someone would be so kind as to list them.

Thank you.

Mark
All of the Disney/Pixar UHD titles are the same way. It has never mattered in the past which software is used to make an MKV.
giomania likes this.
post #2451 of 2505 Old 05-08-2019, 11:04 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
All of the Disney/Pixar UHD titles are the same way. It has never mattered in the past which software is used to make an MKV.
I've had no issues with any of my Disney/Pixar UHD BD rips. Whether I used CloneBD or MakeMKV. Playing them in Plex with an Nvidia Shield.

Sent from my Galaxy S10
giomania and Ph8te like this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2452 of 2505 Old 05-10-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Anyone had success ripping Spider-Man Into the SpiderVerse 4K UHD? I keep getting an error with AnyDVD HD that it can't connect to the server but it ripped the 3D BD version just fine.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #2453 of 2505 Old 05-10-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
Anyone had success ripping Spider-Man Into the SpiderVerse 4K UHD? I keep getting an error with AnyDVD HD that it can't connect to the server but it ripped the 3D BD version just fine.
I ripped it with Makemkv, don't think I had any issues. Bought it at release so it was an early disc.
post #2454 of 2505 Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I ripped it with Makemkv, don't think I had any issues. Bought it at release so it was an early disc.
Maybe it's just an issue with AnyDVD HD?

post #2455 of 2505 Old 05-10-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Maybe it's just an issue with AnyDVD HD?
No idea, have you tried doing the standard cleaning of the disc?
post #2456 of 2505 Old 05-10-2019, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Same here
post #2457 of 2505 Old 05-10-2019, 01:56 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I used MakeMKV on it. But I thought RedFox Any DVD HD supported it later?

I know on the RedFox forums there used to a thread that lists the UHD BDs that ANy DVD HD doesn't support. And they updated it once the title was supported.
giomania and Wryker like this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2458 of 2505 Old 05-10-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm pretty sure I used MakeMKV on it. But I thought RedFox Any DVD HD supported it later?

I know on the RedFox forums there used to a thread that lists the UHD BDs that ANy DVD HD doesn't support. And they updated it once the title was supported.
Has anyone been successful ripping the MKV using AnyDVDHD?

post #2459 of 2505 Old 05-10-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok - found the post on the AnyDVD HD forum for UHD's and Into the Spider Verse is on the list of currently not working with AnyDVD HD. Mystery solved.

post #2460 of 2505 Old 05-10-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
No problems for me with AnyDVD HD. Even muxed its Atmos track into the HD video since I’m not yet 4K.
SuperFist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page