Ripping UHD 4k discs with Makemkv: Instructions How-to - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 915Likes

post #2611 of 2652 Old 08-12-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2342 Post(s)
Liked: 938
So you run a MySQL server instance on your PC and MrMC app. connects to it and updates it automatically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2652 Old 08-12-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So you run a MySQL server instance on your PC and MrMC app. connects to it and updates it automatically?
I am indeed, my two Shields are talking to the same database. Works a charm.
SuperFist likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #2613 of 2652 Old 08-13-2019, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Both of my Shields are set to Optimized. I don't have any dropouts from Plex when playing back my UHD MKV rips. Or from Kodi when playing back UHD BD ISOs/UHD MKVs.
Lucky you, no matter what I do I'm getting stuttering or drop outs now with UHD rips [all other smaller media plays fine] using my Oppo 203 solves the issues however . The only thing I can think of that I'm still using a 1080p plasma, and maybe somehow the forced conversion by the Shield is making it "chocked up". It's just a theory though since the Oppo doing just fine with these files into the same TV.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2614 of 2652 Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
I use the built-in MySQL client in MrMC to track what I watched. You can do it in Kodi as well but it requires editing of files to be enabled.
With Kodi you simply need to create or add the following to the advancedsettings.xml in the appropriate directory. MySQL Server takes very little resources and (as long as it's supported) it will run under virtually any hardware/OS combination. I run the server on a Ubuntu ODROID (under $100) which also hosts the media.

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>hostIP</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>youruser</user>
<pass>yourpassword</pass>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>hostIP</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>youruser</user>
</musicdatabase>
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
<importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |

Last edited by Charles R; 08-13-2019 at 09:33 AM.
post #2615 of 2652 Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
With Kodi you simply need to create or add the following to the advancedsettings.xml in the appropriate directory. MySQL Server takes very little resources and (as long as it's supported) it will run under virtually any hardware/OS combination. I run the server on a Ubuntu ODROID (under $100) which also hosts the media.

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>hostIP</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>youruser</user>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>hostIP</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>youruser</user>
</musicdatabase>
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
<importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
With MrMC/SPMC you simply do it from the services settings. I'm still surprised this functionality isn't implemented in the main Kodi fork.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #2616 of 2652 Old 08-13-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
With MrMC/SPMC you simply do it from the services settings. I'm still surprised this functionality isn't implemented in the main Kodi fork.
Haven't looked in the Beta releases... can't remember for sure but I think LibreELEC has added it to its menu. Anyway I simply have a copy of the file on my server and drop it in the directory and that's that.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #2617 of 2652 Old 08-17-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6443 Post(s)
Liked: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by laguna_b View Post
Alex, the drive I got from you back in March stopped ripping. Can you get back to me on this? I emailed and did not hear back from you. I sent you details....it produces error messages MAKEMKV says is a failing drive.

Barry

Maybe you should contact the manufacturer? Not sure there is much Alex can do.
post #2618 of 2652 Old 08-17-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGAV View Post
Hey guys, I am a newbie to ripping 4K UHD.

I made MKV files using makeMKV and saved them to a WD Mybook 8TB USB HDD.

I have the HDD plugged directly into a USB port on the NVIDIA Shield and playing them using the Plex app on Shield.

Shield is dedicated for 4K UHD projector running through AVR with ATMOS config. I do not plan to stream to other devices.

Is it not recommended? Is that going to overload Shield with on-board transcoding?

I do exactly that. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2619 of 2652 Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How does one deal with forced subtitles when ripping UHDs? Is there a standard method or is it just trial and error? Does either MakeMKV or CloneBD (or any other tool) have a way of noting if a sub is forced?
For standard blu-rays, I always check the Google docs spreadsheet first, demux all the English subtitles with Clown_BD (will Clown work with UHD?), then examine them in BDSup2Sub to verify. I see that some UHDs have been noted on the spreadsheet, hopefully this will become more common.
post #2620 of 2652 Old 09-15-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
How does one deal with forced subtitles when ripping UHDs? Is there a standard method or is it just trial and error? Does either MakeMKV or CloneBD (or any other tool) have a way of noting if a sub is forced?
For standard blu-rays, I always check the Google docs spreadsheet first, demux all the English subtitles with Clown_BD (will Clown work with UHD?), then examine them in BDSup2Sub to verify. I see that some UHDs have been noted on the spreadsheet, hopefully this will become more common.
It's the same method as regular blu-rays. I use mkvtoolnix GUI to manually flag them.
post #2621 of 2652 Old 09-15-2019, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Clown_BD uses Tsmuxer to remux which cannot currently handle UHD discs. Tsmuxer's source code was recently released so maybe someday it can handle UHD.

I usually post in this thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...ead-dunes.html when I find a disc that has forced subtitles. I don't get all discs but I do get most discs that are newly released. I post so people that want to use Blu-Ray Ripper in automatic mode can do so with little worry about missing something for the discs I post.

You could try Blu-Ray Ripper, its whole point is to assist with forced subtitles and is a direct replacement for Clown_BD. It only supports UHD output to MKV but when Tsmuxer is someday fixed or there is a working UHD muxer it will be updated to support all output formats.
SuperFist likes this.
post #2622 of 2652 Old 09-15-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
Clown_BD uses Tsmuxer to remux which cannot currently handle UHD discs. Tsmuxer's source code was recently released so maybe someday it can handle UHD.

I usually post in this thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...ead-dunes.html when I find a disc that has forced subtitles. I don't get all discs but I do get most discs that are newly released. I post so people that want to use Blu-Ray Ripper in automatic mode can do so with little worry about missing something for the discs I post.

You could try Blu-Ray Ripper, its whole point is to assist with forced subtitles and is a direct replacement for Clown_BD. It only supports UHD output to MKV but when Tsmuxer is someday fixed or there is a working UHD muxer it will be updated to support all output formats.

Is that the DVD Fab Blu-Ray Ripper program ? And it is reliably adding the correct forced subtitles to .mkv files?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (FOR SALE)
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #2623 of 2652 Old 09-15-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4519 Post(s)
Liked: 2578
I'm having a very difficult time getting the Plex server to recognize correctly my rips of "Krypton" Season 1. I've tried all the suggestions on the PLEX forums but nothing had worked. Anyone else try this one and get it to work correctly on PLEX? Thanks!

lujan
543 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD
post #2624 of 2652 Old 09-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post

I've read about Clown_BD & Tsmuxer not properly remuxing UHD, so I usually use CloneBD to output to mkv.

I've used your Blu-Ray Ripper program on standard blu-rays and it works very well -- thank you for your contribution to the community!! I didn't know it also handled UHD so I will definitely give that a try -- output to mkv is fine with me. My primary concern and point of my post is in identifying forced subs on UHD discs. Once identified they should be pretty easy to deal with. As lockdown571 noted, the header editor in mkvtoolnix works well for flagging forced subs. If Blu-Ray Ripper handles both identifying and flagging then this should be a piece of cake.
post #2625 of 2652 Old 09-15-2019, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Is that the DVD Fab Blu-Ray Ripper program ? And it is reliably adding the correct forced subtitles to .mkv files?
No, its the one from my signature.

Quote:
I've read about Clown_BD & Tsmuxer not properly remuxing UHD, so I usually use CloneBD to output to mkv.

I've used your Blu-Ray Ripper program on standard blu-rays and it works very well -- thank you for your contribution to the community!! I didn't know it also handled UHD so I will definitely give that a try -- output to mkv is fine with me. My primary concern and point of my post is in identifying forced subs on UHD discs. Once identified they should be pretty easy to deal with. As lockdown571 noted, the header editor in mkvtoolnix works well for flagging forced subs. If Blu-Ray Ripper handles both identifying and flagging then this should be a piece of cake.
Yes, it does work for UHD discs and will identify and mark forced subtitle tracks for mkv output. It probably isn't as refined as I would like it to be for UHD, but that's because I don't buy those discs yet.
post #2626 of 2652 Old 09-16-2019, 01:47 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9214 Post(s)
Liked: 5924
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I'm having a very difficult time getting the Plex server to recognize correctly my rips of "Krypton" Season 1. I've tried all the suggestions on the PLEX forums but nothing had worked. Anyone else try this one and get it to work correctly on PLEX? Thanks!
No idea about the rips, but both seasons show up properly in Plex from my cable recordings. Transferred from my TiVos.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2627 of 2652 Old 09-16-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No idea about the rips, but both seasons show up properly in Plex from my cable recordings. Transferred from my TiVos.
Don't know, I tried several times on Saturday and PLEX keeps indicating a totally different show. I tried again today (after doing Plex Dance) and it indicates "Pokemon" for season 1 and "Legion" for season 2. I'm about ready to give up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KryptonFileStructure.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	2616466  

lujan
543 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD
post #2628 of 2652 Old 09-16-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6443 Post(s)
Liked: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Don't know, I tried several times on Saturday and PLEX keeps indicating a totally different show. I tried again today (after doing Plex Dance) and it indicates "Pokemon" for season 1 and "Legion" for season 2. I'm about ready to give up.

Can’t you manually force the correct show?
post #2629 of 2652 Old 09-16-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Not sure if this is an issue or that I’ve just never took note. I just ripped John Wick 3 last night and within the MakeMKV program the file (main feature) read 74ish GB but the rip was 63ish GB. Is that right? I swear, I’ve always thought it came out the same. Has something changed in the program and it’s now down rez-ing?
post #2630 of 2652 Old 09-16-2019, 03:25 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
Not sure if this is an issue or that I’ve just never took note. I just ripped John Wick 3 last night and within the MakeMKV program the file (main feature) read 74ish GB but the rip was 63ish GB. Is that right? I swear, I’ve always thought it came out the same. Has something changed in the program and it’s now down rez-ing?
Did they recently add that? I tried to rip mine this past weekend and MakeMKV could not decrypt it.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

post #2631 of 2652 Old 09-16-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Did they recently add that? I tried to rip mine this past weekend and MakeMKV could not decrypt it.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

It loaded and allowed the rip. I haven’t tried to play it yet because I thought something went wrong and I re-ripped it just before going to bed last night and had to head out early this morning. I’ll try it when I get home.
post #2632 of 2652 Old 09-16-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Can’t you manually force the correct show?
I was finally able to fix it by doing a manual search. The default is to do an "Auto" search which didn't bring up "Krypton". I added this title and change year to "2018" and change database from "TVDB" to "Movie Database" and it worked. Thanks for all the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	2616486  
aaronwt, Ph8te and SuperFist like this.

lujan
543 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD
post #2633 of 2652 Old 09-16-2019, 08:59 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
It loaded and allowed the rip. I haven’t tried to play it yet because I thought something went wrong and I re-ripped it just before going to bed last night and had to head out early this morning. I’ll try it when I get home.
I see it's working now. When I looked on the MakeMKV forum it looked like there were a bunch of different discs for JW3. So I guess it took awhile for them to add mine?

post #2634 of 2652 Old 09-17-2019, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quick question. I have a LG WH16nS40 and cannot open 4k uhd. I have FW version 1.0. Do I need to upgrade my FW for libreDrive?

How do I enable in makemkv?

Thanks.

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1939
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw data read: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw metadata read: Possible, not yet enabled
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
post #2635 of 2652 Old 09-18-2019, 06:15 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toleedo View Post
Quick question. I have a LG WH16nS40 and cannot open 4k uhd. I have FW version 1.0. Do I need to upgrade my FW for libreDrive?

Thanks.

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1939
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw data read: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw metadata read: Possible, not yet enabled
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
If I remember correctly, that is one of those weird dives where the same model number was used for many years. So it needs to be made after a certain year. And I think you have to make sure there is also some specific code on the dive as well.

You can probably find some really good specific info about the drive over at the MakeMKV forums. I know that is where I got the specific info for the process of making my three drives UHD ripping compatible last year.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)
Ph8te likes this.

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-18-2019 at 06:20 AM.
post #2636 of 2652 Old 09-18-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:

Thanks.

{ white-space: pre-wrap; }
I believe for your drive anything after firmware 1.02 will not work... but with yours at version 1.0... it should be fine.... maybe it is too old?? What is the SVC code listed on the label? Needs to be NS50 I believe for that model...How many 4K discs have you tried to load?
post #2637 of 2652 Old 09-18-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked: 3051
Quote:
Pretty sure that the WH16ns40 must be a later hardware revision, and should carry a SVC code "NS50" on the drive label
post #2638 of 2652 Old 09-18-2019, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven’t pulled the drive out to check the code, but I read on makemkv forum that it needed to be manufactured in 2015 or later and I bought mine in 2014. Just order an Asus drive that I am hoping will work.

Thanks!
post #2639 of 2652 Old 09-18-2019, 01:16 PM

Just saw your reply Alex...ordered this Asus because it was sameday shipping so I will get it tonight. If it doesn’t work I will message ya.

Thanks
post #2640 of 2652 Old 09-18-2019, 01:16 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven’t pulled the drive out to check the code, but I read on makemkv forum that it needed to be manufactured in 2015 or later and I bought mine in 2014. Just order an Asus drive that I am hoping will work.

Thanks!
It will!

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page