AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Is 1Gig fiber optic too much? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2948436-1gig-fiber-optic-too-much.html)

DrA 01-09-2018 02:39 PM

Is 1Gig fiber optic too much?

I have a 300 Mbps service from Spectrum and thinking to switch to ATT 1Gig fiber optic this week. Not everything is connected to the Internet with Ethernet wire and wireless is only 70 Mbps.
I have a gamer in the family who is excited about low latency. 2 4K TVs, Apple TV are connected wirelessly. HTPC and Computer room PC are wired. Also another family member occasionally downloads movies from Directv. I stream sports and movies constantly. Since streaming 4K from Netflix or Amazon is caped at 15 Mbps is ATT 1Gig an overkill? Are there any way to download the less uncompressed, 4K bluRay quality version of the movies? I remember Sony having something like that. What is the cap from itune 4K or apple TV sports?

taz291819 01-09-2018 02:48 PM

I have AT&T's Gig service, works like a champ. Hardwired I get 920 up/down. Wireless I get around 200Mbps up/down. For $80/mo and no caps, it's well worth it. Plus bundle it with your Directv account (if you have that), and get $20/mo off your Directv bill.

DrA 01-09-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taz291819 (Post 55465718)
I have AT&T's Gig service, works like a champ. Hardwired I get 920 up/down. Wireless I get around 200Mbps up/down. For $80/mo and no caps, it's well worth it. Plus bundle it with your Directv account (if you have that), and get $20/mo off your Directv bill.

Thanks for the bundle discount tip.
Should I do it before or after install?
Also do any app on your NVidia stream higher than 15Mb?

evilaviator 01-10-2018 05:59 AM

I have ATT gigabit fiber and I love it. Cat 6a hardwired 950 up/down and no dl limit. Wish my Ubiqiti AP could pass along that speed but oh well.

Gaslitnation 01-10-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrA (Post 55465642)
I have a 300 Mbps service from Spectrum and thinking to switch to ATT 1Gig fiber optic this week. Not everything is connected to the Internet with Ethernet wire and wireless is only 70 Mbps.
I have a gamer in the family who is excited about low latency. 2 4K TVs, Apple TV are connected wirelessly. HTPC and Computer room PC are wired. Also another family member occasionally downloads movies from Directv. I stream sports and movies constantly. Since streaming 4K from Netflix or Amazon is caped at 15 Mbps is ATT 1Gig an overkill? Are there any way to download the less uncompressed, 4K bluRay quality version of the movies? I remember Sony having something like that. What is the cap from itune 4K or apple TV sports?

Quite easily one of the most misunderstood topics in the internet sphere. A speed test that utilizes a ping is very misleading when it comes to judging streaming and/or traffic transmission. A 12ms 8bit package will not reflect on a broader bundle. A 'wider' package will effect amplifiers, repeaters and loss associated with same not to mention the core engineering of the network and it's look ahead reroutes. Sorry to say only way to seriously judge is find a neighbor with a similar service you desire and ask about their experience. This is also always the desired method as every carrier has co-location and facility agreements so my AT&T experience will never be the same as your AT&T experience. The chosen wavelength engineered on your specific local drop will also differ volumes from mine i.e., is it a 1520 lambda (wavelength) or on the 1490 lambda. Both is used and delivers a world of difference. Bottom line, ask a neighbor with the desired service if possible.

LexInVA 01-10-2018 07:57 AM

Go to DSLReports and see what the skinny is on your local service, from people who already have it.

tonyjspr9 01-11-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Do you have a data limit with Spectrum? What are you paying for that 300 Mbps?

I had Comcast Cable and they had a 1 TB monthly cap. I could go over that cap like twice in a year without any extra fees though. The family games online and watches a lot of netflix, amazon and Playstation Vue. and I was approaching that data cap with every passing month. So i ditched Comcast internet and went with ATT Gig fiber. Works great. I love the $80/month flat fee....for the life of the contract, No Data Caps and plenty of head room for multiple people working/playing on the same signal with no signs of buffering.

One thing too, is with Net Neutrality not a thing now, how will that effect cable companies and what they can charge in the future for internet. Also, it might affect their speeds dependent on what you are watching like Netflix. With ATT Fiber I feel somewhat buffered with what may start rolling out with cable companies or streaming services.

taz291819 01-12-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrA (Post 55465858)
Thanks for the bundle discount tip.
Should I do it before or after install?
Also do any app on your NVidia stream higher than 15Mb?

I ordered the Fiber online, and then bundled afterward. Also, the fiance has AT&T for her cell service (and the kids), and I called and got them unlimited data on their phones due to having fiber and Directv. Even though we have different last names obviously, our addresses are the same, and that was good enough for AT&T.

Regarding the Shield, I'm not sure if I have any apps requiring more than 15Mbps. Though I did do the beta of GeForce Now (streaming games from their servers), and it streamed perfectly. I believe Nvidia said for best results you needed a 50Mbps connection.

I will say this about AT&T Fiber, depending on where you live, some people have peering issues. DSLReports has a lot more info on that.

drunkpenguin 01-12-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 (Post 55481672)
One thing too, is with Net Neutrality not a thing now, how will that effect cable companies and what they can charge in the future for internet.

It removes all rules and regulations. ISP's can charge whatever their little hearts desire for whatever website you go to. You will also pay more for services like Netflix eventually because ISP's will have the right to charge Netflix a fee to even transport onto their service. Netflix will have to recoup that cost somehow.

kamouflage 01-12-2018 01:29 PM

I say go for it! We got it for $70 a month and it's the last thing I would cancel if I had to. I actually like ours more for the upload than the download speed.

lml999 01-20-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

You might want to take a look at your WiFi configuration (and maybe your router and switches). I've got three Apple Airport Extremes in the house, one on each floor, and I measure WiFi bandwith as high as 1100 Mbps (using the WiFi Sweetspots IOS app.)

Might be time for a WAP upgrade. :)

ratm 01-20-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Agreed. Works perfectly. Wireless, I get 400ish down and about 360ish up.

SuperFist 01-20-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Imagine paying $90 a month with Cox Communications only getting 60 Mbps Down and a 1TB cap!

Yeah! We don't have a choice in Phoenix.

DrA 01-27-2018 05:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaslitnation (Post 55469108)
Quote:

Quite easily one of the most misunderstood topics in the internet sphere. A speed test that utilizes a ping is very misleading when it comes to judging streaming and/or traffic transmission. A 12ms 8bit package will not reflect on a broader bundle. A 'wider' package will effect amplifiers, repeaters and loss associated with same not to mention the core engineering of the network and it's look ahead reroutes. Sorry to say only way to seriously judge is find a neighbor with a similar service you desire and ask about their experience. This is also always the desired method as every carrier has co-location and facility agreements so my AT&T experience will never be the same as your AT&T experience. The chosen wavelength engineered on your specific local drop will also differ volumes from mine i.e., is it a 1520 lambda (wavelength) or on the 1490 lambda. Both is used and delivers a world of difference. Bottom line, ask a neighbor with the desired service if possible.

Thank you and others for great information. Now I have both services but eventually will cancel one. I am stuck with ATT contract for one year but WiFi is not as stable as advertised.
How do you find out lamda for my north LA installation?

]I am not an expert but my son likes ATT 1Gig wired more than Spectrum 300 Mbps wired because of low latency on his X-box.
For some reason Xbox wired can?t handle more than 650Mbps vs Apple laptop connected with Ethernet at mid 900s MBps.
But wireless is horrible. I put four 5g band steering extenders and I have frequent service disconnected messages even though speed is boosted to 200-300 Mbps for larger areas in my home.
I am waiting for a newer model modem/Router now. If WiFi connection drops doesn?t improve, I will wire my Apple TV location.
Below are some screen shots of my ATT service.
What do you think about this wireless problem? Buffer bloat is OK?

91RS 01-28-2018 05:54 AM

If you have multiple people trying to do things, the fiber is going to be better. Also, get your own WiFi router. I have Windstream fiber and the "modem" is just a router because the Ethernet comes out of the box outside so I used my own router that is better than theirs and also has MU MIMO and I get 300mbps up and down over the WiFi even on the iPhones.

taz291819 01-28-2018 11:57 AM

Yeah, get a different router and put the Gateway in DMZ+ or IP-Passthrough mode (depends on what Gateway they gave you).

I use an Asus RT-AC68U with the provide Pace Gateway in DMZ+ mode, and I get great wireless coverage.