AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Network Media Player Recommendations? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2953284-network-media-player-recommendations.html)

mountainsoft 01-29-2018 07:35 AM

Network Media Player Recommendations?

I have a Dvico TVIX M-6600 network media player that I have been quite happy with. However, it is an older player and doesn't support some of the newer video codecs like HEVC. So I thought I would start looking for a replacement before it dies on me.

I do not want to stream videos from the internet, SD cards, or USB drives. I only want to stream videos from my desktop PC over my wired (NOT wireless) home network.

I do not want a bunch of apps or other functionality. I just want to power up and watch the videos on my PC (home videos, shows recorded with a TV tuner, downloaded videos, etc.), with minimal navigation of menu's.

It must show my videos in a simple sorted text list (with support for folders). I do not want box covers, icons, or any of that sort of thing. List navigation must be fast and smooth.

I do not need support for DVD or Blu-Ray menus, just single stand alone video files (MPG, MP4, MKV, etc.).

It must be compatible with my Logitech Harmony remote control.

Video and audio playback must be flawless, no dropouts, no stuttering, no A/V sync issues, etc. 4K video support would be nice, but it's not a requirement.

Ideally it should have a 10 or 15 second skip function, forward and backward. I find this much more convenient than fast forward and rewind, either for skipping things I'm not interested in, or to go back to hear something I missed.

It must be fairly small, with no fans or other noise, and not some weird curve or pyramid shape. I just want your basic black box.

I haven't looked at network media players in several years, so I'm not sure what is out there. From my brief search it seems like a bunch of cheap Android boxes have flooded the market, and all seem to have the apps and menus' I'm not interested in. My old M6600 does everything I want except support for the newer video codecs.

Does anyone make a simple Network Media Player these days?

andygiddings 01-29-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainsoft (Post 55591878)
I have a Dvico TVIX M-6600 network media player that I have been quite happy with. However, it is an older player and doesn't support some of the newer video codecs like HEVC. So I thought I would start looking for a replacement before it dies on me.

I do not want to stream videos from the internet, SD cards, or USB drives. I only want to stream videos from my desktop PC over my wired (NOT wireless) home network.

I do not want a bunch of apps or other functionality. I just want to power up and watch the videos on my PC (home videos, shows recorded with a TV tuner, downloaded videos, etc.), with minimal navigation of menu's.

It must show my videos in a simple sorted text list (with support for folders). I do not want box covers, icons, or any of that sort of thing. List navigation must be fast and smooth.

I do not need support for DVD or Blu-Ray menus, just single stand alone video files (MPG, MP4, MKV, etc.).

It must be compatible with my Logitech Harmony remote control.

Video and audio playback must be flawless, no dropouts, no stuttering, no A/V sync issues, etc. 4K video support would be nice, but it's not a requirement.

Ideally it should have a 10 or 15 second skip function, forward and backward. I find this much more convenient than fast forward and rewind, either for skipping things I'm not interested in, or to go back to hear something I missed.

It must be fairly small, with no fans or other noise, and not some weird curve or pyramid shape. I just want your basic black box.

I haven't looked at network media players in several years, so I'm not sure what is out there. From my brief search it seems like a bunch of cheap Android boxes have flooded the market, and all seem to have the apps and menus' I'm not interested in. My old M6600 does everything I want except support for the newer video codecs.

Does anyone make a simple Network Media Player these days?

What are you displaying the streamed content on? Do you have a speaker system/receiver and what is it that you want to send flawless audio to? Inquiring minds need to know in order to have a clue what to recommend. After all, if you have a smart TV, there is a good chance you don't need a separate box at all

mountainsoft 01-29-2018 09:18 AM

Andy,

My media player connects to my Pioneer receiver through an HDMI cable. The Sony TV is just a monitor. I do not use any of it's built-in "smart" features", because it gets back to those complicated apps and menus.

halfelite 01-29-2018 09:54 AM

Look at the DUNE Lite or the PCH A500. The both have a jukebox but default is a list view. The Dune interface list view is faster than the pch menu.

DanPackMan 01-29-2018 11:00 AM

If you have any interest in a DIY solution, Odroid C2 with LibreElec (KODI) installed would meet all your needs.