Apple TV tvOS public beta releases - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 617Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
These two statements sound contradictory. Given that Apple has withdrawn production releases over major issues you might expect a beta release to cause your device to explode.
OK. Thanks. I'll wait for b3 and hope it fixes the major issues. Then I'll withdraw from beta testing.
jsmiddleton4 likes this.

Sony XBR-65Z9D
Oppo UDP-203 4K BD Player
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K BD Player
Denon AVR-X6400H

Last edited by Larry Little; 02-12-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Larry Little is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Whether they contradict or not is irrelevant. We accept risk when we use beta FW in general. Yep, absolutely. We don’t know the exact nature of those risks until we try the actual beta. When we do if the details of that beta are such that a company squeezed one out they need to step up and give us a way to mitigate the stink. This B2 is bad. Apple needs to fix it with a B3 or let us go back to B1.



That is the norm for all kinds of FW driven devices when using a beta or even an alpha release when you get a bad one to test.



This is on Apple.


Releasing buggy beta software is not a sign of poor quality control since catching bugs is what it’s for. There are usually around 8 beta releases before something is released to the public so it’s incredibly early and risky to be installing it on the second release. It’s worth recognising that these are ‘beta releases’ and not ‘release candidates’. To expect them to be trouble free is beyond naive in my opinion. However, they will most likely fix some issues in beta 3 and you will have less than 10 days to wait on that.

You are doing the smart thing opting out of future betas however. Or at least wait until they’re closer to public release.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew Stirling is online now  
post #33 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tmdorsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
I can't believe more people aren't seeing that the Dolby Vision they implemented clearly doesn't work???? It's not only much darker but also seems to be because it's missing "half" the HDR info, as if the top end brightness and color luminance aren't there at all compared to internal app. It's not just dimmer, it's broke.

You are like the only one stating that it's "broke". Sounds like you take your issues up with Dolby as they provided Apple with the profile.
tmdorsey is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
I can't believe more people aren't seeing that the Dolby Vision they implemented clearly doesn't work???? It's not only much darker but also seems to be because it's missing "half" the HDR info, as if the top end brightness and color luminance aren't there at all compared to internal app. It's not just dimmer, it's broke.
Have any specific examples? Maybe I can take a look on my ATV vs my X930E...as opposed to just saying you are wrong
kbmb is offline  
post #35 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,190
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
I can't believe more people aren't seeing that the Dolby Vision they implemented clearly doesn't work?
[If this is a change in beta release I'm not seeing it. Otherwise you should post in the Owner's thread.]

Oh, I see Sony in your signature. So, is there a change from b1 to b2? If so you should report it to Apple. If not, well you're running two beta products and merriment will ensue.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8

Last edited by bodosom; 02-12-2018 at 12:57 PM.
bodosom is online now  
post #36 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
amblinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Have any specific examples? Maybe I can take a look on my ATV vs my X930E...as opposed to just saying you are wrong

Having verified that it doesn't work on 930E with Marantz SR7011 and Z9D with same Marantz with DPL Labs certified HDMI cables i can't believe most haven't seen this. Also, a friend of mine used his directly from AppleTV to his Z9D and found results identical. This is on Beta 1 and 2 of current Beta version. Also, not that pissed as i'm sure it will be fixed and it's a beta and all...Anyway, specific examples aren't that necessary as ANY film or show on Netflix in DV will do this but for examples try using the Netflix built into TV and AppleTV version and watch the opening of "A Futile and Stupid Gesture". Since both trigger the same picture mode on the TV (Dolby Vision presets) it should be shockingly obvious. The AppleTV version is dim and weak whereas the built in app is incredibly bright and vibrant. Regardless of receiver in the mix or not. Altered Carbon, Stranger Things, Any movie in my iTunes library all exhibit the same picture quality traits, dim and weak everything from contrast to color and brightness levels. It's not even close and thus the term "broke". I've been in the CI industry 15 years and have been doing it longer than that. I think i've only read a couple people mention this but EVERYONE with a Sony should be mentioning this is all. Again i'm sure it will be fixed, it's clearly not right and I'm sure Oppo will get it right but since the AppleTV is so dependent on DV for video output it makes it kind of useless right now but i'll use the Roku for now until it's sorted out as far as HDR content goes.
rlb likes this.

LIVING ROOM - Sony XBR65Z9D; Marantz SR7011; ATI 1805 amp; Triad Silver 5.1.2 Atmos; Oppo 203; AppleTV4k; Roku Ultra; Panamax M5400PM; Control4 HC800
UPSTAIRS LIVING - Sony XBR65X930E; Sony STRZA2100ES; Sonance SB46L 3.0; Triad InRoom SlimSub; Sony UBPX800; AppleTV4k; Roku Premiere; Panamax M5300PM; Control4 EA1
amblinfan is offline  
post #37 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
Having verified that it doesn't work on 930E with Marantz SR7011 and Z9D with same Marantz with DPL Labs certified HDMI cables i can't believe most haven't seen this. Also, a friend of mine used his directly from AppleTV to his Z9D and found results identical. This is on Beta 1 and 2 of current Beta version. Also, not that pissed as i'm sure it will be fixed and it's a beta and all...Anyway, specific examples aren't that necessary as ANY film or show on Netflix in DV will do this but for examples try using the Netflix built into TV and AppleTV version and watch the opening of "A Futile and Stupid Gesture". Since both trigger the same picture mode on the TV (Dolby Vision presets) it should be shockingly obvious. The AppleTV version is dim and weak whereas the built in app is incredibly bright and vibrant. Regardless of receiver in the mix or not. Altered Carbon, Stranger Things, Any movie in my iTunes library all exhibit the same picture quality traits, dim and weak everything from contrast to color and brightness levels. It's not even close and thus the term "broke". I've been in the CI industry 15 years and have been doing it longer than that. I think i've only read a couple people mention this but EVERYONE with a Sony should be mentioning this is all. Again i'm sure it will be fixed, it's clearly not right and I'm sure Oppo will get it right but since the AppleTV is so dependent on DV for video output it makes it kind of useless right now but i'll use the Roku for now until it's sorted out as far as HDR content goes.
I'll take a look at let you know. I only briefly used the builtin Netflix app on my 930E just to make sure DV was working, but since haven't been back. I can definitely take a look and see.
kbmb is offline  
post #38 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,299
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I'll take a look at let you know. I only briefly used the builtin Netflix app on my 930E just to make sure DV was working, but since haven't been back. I can definitely take a look and see.
I tested and they are “almost” identical. I say almost because I can’t guarantee every single picture setting is identical on Cinema Home for the different ports. Also, Enhanced is enabled on the ATV4K HDMI port and obviously isn’t on the 930E.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #39 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Member
 
final442's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
Having verified that it doesn't work on 930E with Marantz SR7011 and Z9D with same Marantz with DPL Labs certified HDMI cables i can't believe most haven't seen this. Also, a friend of mine used his directly from AppleTV to his Z9D and found results identical. This is on Beta 1 and 2 of current Beta version. Also, not that pissed as i'm sure it will be fixed and it's a beta and all...Anyway, specific examples aren't that necessary as ANY film or show on Netflix in DV will do this but for examples try using the Netflix built into TV and AppleTV version and watch the opening of "A Futile and Stupid Gesture". Since both trigger the same picture mode on the TV (Dolby Vision presets) it should be shockingly obvious. The AppleTV version is dim and weak whereas the built in app is incredibly bright and vibrant. Regardless of receiver in the mix or not. Altered Carbon, Stranger Things, Any movie in my iTunes library all exhibit the same picture quality traits, dim and weak everything from contrast to color and brightness levels. It's not even close and thus the term "broke". I've been in the CI industry 15 years and have been doing it longer than that. I think i've only read a couple people mention this but EVERYONE with a Sony should be mentioning this is all. Again i'm sure it will be fixed, it's clearly not right and I'm sure Oppo will get it right but since the AppleTV is so dependent on DV for video output it makes it kind of useless right now but i'll use the Roku for now until it's sorted out as far as HDR content goes.
I am not sure if you noticed but you said both trigger Dolby Vision "picture settings". While this is true, the settings are inherent/saved to the input. The native apps will be for "APP" and the ATV for whichever HDMI input it associated with. I didn't notice this at first, but the APP picture settings for DV had a color setting of Neutral which was much brighter/blown out compared to the HDMI DV settings which were similar to my normal viewing color space "Expert 1 or Warm".

Once I changed the APP to Expert 1 and matched some of the other DV settings, the native Apps looked very similar to the Apple TV output. So I would suggest trying that if you did not notice it at first.

However, I do agree in general that it does seem a bit dimmer than it needs (I had to bump up Gamma and black level slightly, compared to HDR settings), so I think it can use some tweaking.
final442 is offline  
post #40 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
Having verified that it doesn't work on 930E with Marantz SR7011 and Z9D with same Marantz with DPL Labs certified HDMI cables i can't believe most haven't seen this. Also, a friend of mine used his directly from AppleTV to his Z9D and found results identical. This is on Beta 1 and 2 of current Beta version. Also, not that pissed as i'm sure it will be fixed and it's a beta and all...Anyway, specific examples aren't that necessary as ANY film or show on Netflix in DV will do this but for examples try using the Netflix built into TV and AppleTV version and watch the opening of "A Futile and Stupid Gesture". Since both trigger the same picture mode on the TV (Dolby Vision presets) it should be shockingly obvious. The AppleTV version is dim and weak whereas the built in app is incredibly bright and vibrant. Regardless of receiver in the mix or not. Altered Carbon, Stranger Things, Any movie in my iTunes library all exhibit the same picture quality traits, dim and weak everything from contrast to color and brightness levels. It's not even close and thus the term "broke". I've been in the CI industry 15 years and have been doing it longer than that. I think i've only read a couple people mention this but EVERYONE with a Sony should be mentioning this is all. Again i'm sure it will be fixed, it's clearly not right and I'm sure Oppo will get it right but since the AppleTV is so dependent on DV for video output it makes it kind of useless right now but i'll use the Roku for now until it's sorted out as far as HDR content goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I tested and they are “almost” identical. I say almost because I can’t guarantee every single picture setting is identical on Cinema Home for the different ports. Also, Enhanced is enabled on the ATV4K HDMI port and obviously isn’t on the 930E.
So first thing I did was to make sure the HDR DV mode for both the internal apps and the HDMI3 that the ATV is on are the same. Same brightness/contrast/color/motion settings.

I will say that right away I noticed it. The internal Netflix app on my 930E was brighter and had more pop to the colors. This was obvious even from the first Netflix logo (in red) to the white text on a black screen at the beginning of "A Futile and Stupid Gesture". The ATV was darker and the white text looked grey. The first time the kid puts on his glasses and the cheerleaders come into focus.....their outfits have more pop on the internal app. The grass is greener (no pun intended) on the internal app.

Very interesting.

Here's a couple photos I took to "try" to capture it. First will be the Apple TV, second is the internal app (excuse the overall quality.....had to try to snap these quickly with my phone and it was hard to get the same frame). If you let both load you can toggle back and forth and hopefully see the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATV.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2360078   Click image for larger version

Name:	internal app.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2360080  
rlb and Salty01 like this.

Last edited by kbmb; 02-12-2018 at 01:40 PM.
kbmb is offline  
post #41 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
amblinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
So first thing I did was to make sure the HDR DV mode for both the internal apps and the HDMI3 that the ATV is on are the same. Same brightness/contrast/color/motion settings.

I will say that right away I noticed it. The internal Netflix app on my 930E was brighter and had more pop to the colors. This was obvious even from the first Netflix logo (in red) to the white text on a black screen at the beginning of "A Futile and Stupid Gesture". The ATV was darker and the white text looked grey. The first time the kid puts on his glasses and the cheerleaders come into focus.....their outfits have more pop on the internal app. The grass is greener (no pun intended) on the internal app.

Very interesting.
thanks for checking this!

LIVING ROOM - Sony XBR65Z9D; Marantz SR7011; ATI 1805 amp; Triad Silver 5.1.2 Atmos; Oppo 203; AppleTV4k; Roku Ultra; Panamax M5400PM; Control4 HC800
UPSTAIRS LIVING - Sony XBR65X930E; Sony STRZA2100ES; Sonance SB46L 3.0; Triad InRoom SlimSub; Sony UBPX800; AppleTV4k; Roku Premiere; Panamax M5300PM; Control4 EA1
amblinfan is offline  
post #42 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
amblinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by final442 View Post
I am not sure if you noticed but you said both trigger Dolby Vision "picture settings". While this is true, the settings are inherent/saved to the input. The native apps will be for "APP" and the ATV for whichever HDMI input it associated with. I didn't notice this at first, but the APP picture settings for DV had a color setting of Neutral which was much brighter/blown out compared to the HDMI DV settings which were similar to my normal viewing color space "Expert 1 or Warm".

Once I changed the APP to Expert 1 and matched some of the other DV settings, the native Apps looked very similar to the Apple TV output. So I would suggest trying that if you did not notice it at first.

However, I do agree in general that it does seem a bit dimmer than it needs (I had to bump up Gamma and black level slightly, compared to HDR settings), so I think it can use some tweaking.
I did notice the Dolby settings are different and adjusted those when this all went thru initially, still doesn't resolve it really. Also, is pretty pointless as i don't think it's necessary to go back and forth with picture settings depending on format. It can't be that far off, i think there's something missing here but am willing to wait. Also, having other problems previously listed above with the beta which i expect so i'll wait to see if it gets resolved.

LIVING ROOM - Sony XBR65Z9D; Marantz SR7011; ATI 1805 amp; Triad Silver 5.1.2 Atmos; Oppo 203; AppleTV4k; Roku Ultra; Panamax M5400PM; Control4 HC800
UPSTAIRS LIVING - Sony XBR65X930E; Sony STRZA2100ES; Sonance SB46L 3.0; Triad InRoom SlimSub; Sony UBPX800; AppleTV4k; Roku Premiere; Panamax M5300PM; Control4 EA1
amblinfan is offline  
post #43 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
I did notice the Dolby settings are different and adjusted those when this all went thru initially, still doesn't resolve it really. Also, is pretty pointless as i don't think it's necessary to go back and forth with picture settings depending on format. It can't be that far off, i think there's something missing here but am willing to wait. Also, having other problems previously listed above with the beta which i expect so i'll wait to see if it gets resolved.
Yeah I made sure to match up all settings for DV mode on both. So my screenshots above are based on the same settings exactly.....the TV goes into HDR mode and the picture preset is DV. I then adjusted all the settings to match and it still had the internal app being brighter and with more colors. But I've also noticed ever since Apple rolled out the DV update that it tends to almost have a white haze over the image. People posted about this when it was first rolled out in b1 and we were seeing posterization when the play bar was up - that posterization seems to have been fixed with b2.....but I still think something is off with the ATV and both HDR and DV content. We watched both Max Runners this weekend in 4K HDR - and there were scenes that were really bad coming from iTunes. Lots of crushed blacks and posterization. Unfortunately, iTunes is the only 4K HDR source I have for these (wish Vudu would get them in 4K HDR to compare).
kbmb is offline  
post #44 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,299
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
So first thing I did was to make sure the HDR DV mode for both the internal apps and the HDMI3 that the ATV is on are the same. Same brightness/contrast/color/motion settings.

I will say that right away I noticed it. The internal Netflix app on my 930E was brighter and had more pop to the colors. This was obvious even from the first Netflix logo (in red) to the white text on a black screen at the beginning of "A Futile and Stupid Gesture". The ATV was darker and the white text looked grey. The first time the kid puts on his glasses and the cheerleaders come into focus.....their outfits have more pop on the internal app. The grass is greener (no pun intended) on the internal app.

Very interesting.

Here's a couple photos I took to "try" to capture it. First will be the Apple TV, second is the internal app (excuse the overall quality.....had to try to snap these quickly with my phone and it was hard to get the same frame). If you let both load you can toggle back and forth and hopefully see the difference.
Yep, that shows it really well.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #45 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
dominica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
I did notice the Dolby settings are different and adjusted those when this all went thru initially, still doesn't resolve it really. Also, is pretty pointless as i don't think it's necessary to go back and forth with picture settings depending on format. It can't be that far off, i think there's something missing here but am willing to wait. Also, having other problems previously listed above with the beta which i expect so i'll wait to see if it gets resolved.
I am very happy with the quality of the Apple TV, but I have also noticed it much dimmer than the native TV apps. I compared the ATV with the HDR10 disc also with the same movie and the ATV was very dim compared to the disc ( I know its HDR10 vs DV Streaming, but the brightness was very dim compared to the disc.

Comparing Native Apps, ATV, and Disc and the ATV was much dimmer in all the test, plus my neighbor had the same issue (Apple TV vs Native TV apps). But I have to give props to the ATV for the streaming quality.

Two of my post From the Z9D forum:

"Watched a few minutes of Altered Carbon tonight and also Godless tonight. Both show's are really good on the Z9. I switched back and forth between the ATV and the native app. They both look good, but I find the Native Netflix app on the Z9, shows DV much brighter than the Apple TV."

"Both are set up with the same settings (brightness, color etc) and I still find the Native apps when watching DV is brighter on the TV than the ATV. I have a 75 and by neighbor has a 65 with the same results. the quality is good between native and ATV for DV. However the native Netflix is much brighter. I am using the latest apple beta that came out this week."
rlb likes this.
dominica is offline  
post #46 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 02:26 PM
Newbie
 
Motonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
I can't believe more people aren't seeing that the Dolby Vision they implemented clearly doesn't work???? It's not only much darker but also seems to be because it's missing "half" the HDR info, as if the top end brightness and color luminance aren't there at all compared to internal app. It's not just dimmer, it's broke.
I also agree, the DV to me looks washed out with no color "pop" and also seems like it has a haze over the picture, I wont even watch DV on my 940E at this point, HDR10 content looks much better to me so i'll just wait it out until Sony/Dolby and the rest of the device manufacturers work it out. On the internal apps DV looks a bit better but not by much, if that's as good as it gets then DV isn't worth all the hype it's been getting.
Motonut is offline  
post #47 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,190
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
While the ATV4K beta is closely connected with the Sony DV beta recent posts seem more appropriate to Sony threads.
rsonnens likes this.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
bodosom is online now  
post #48 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
While the ATV4K beta is closely connected with the Sony DV beta recent posts seem more appropriate to Sony threads.
And then we would get told to post about these issues in the Apple thread.

Seems to me my Sony is working fine with what I’m seeing, it’s the Apple TV and it’s DV profile that isn’t.
kbmb is offline  
post #49 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 03:28 PM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: OH
Posts: 6,204
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
The organic Netflix app on my Z9D definitely has DV with "more pop" than my ATV4K Netflix app with identical settings. At this point, I prefer the Z9D app to the ATV app. In order of preference for Netflix: (1) Z9D app for DV; (2) Roku Ultra app for HDR10; (3) ATV app for DV

Obviously, UHD disks on player are superior to any of the above.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
rlb is online now  
post #50 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,190
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
And then we would get told to post about these issues in the Apple thread.
Seems to me my Sony is working fine with what I’m seeing, it’s the Apple TV and it’s DV profile that isn’t.
I think most people would think "fine" means works as well as the other DV displays with common external DV sources. It's not clear how you draw the conclusion Apple is at fault. Normally one has an example of a correctly working device to contrast with one that is faulty prior to assigning blame. However my point was this sub-topic seems to be descending into Sony specific minutiae. E.g.

"The native apps will be for "APP" and the ATV for whichever HDMI input it associated with. ... color setting of Neutral which was much brighter/blown out compared to the ... color space "Expert 1 or Warm". "

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
bodosom is online now  
post #51 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I think most people would think "fine" means works as well as the other DV displays with common external DV sources. It's not clear how you draw the conclusion Apple is at fault. Normally one has an example of a correctly working device to contrast with one that is faulty prior to assigning blame. However my point was this sub-topic seems to be descending into Sony specific minutiae. E.g.

"The native apps will be for "APP" and the ATV for whichever HDMI input it associated with. ... color setting of Neutral which was much brighter/blown out compared to the ... color space "Expert 1 or Warm". "
I don't KNOW that it's the Apple TV fault as right now the only other device that is DV are the internal apps. That's why I'm here to ask others if they are seeing the same. I'm guessing it's the ATV fault. But seeing how you must have some inside knowledge to know that the Apple TV is doing it correctly....that's great. Thank you. Maybe you can get your colleagues back at the spaceship to respond to my bug report.
kbmb is offline  
post #52 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,190
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I don't KNOW that it's the Apple TV fault as right now the only other device that is DV are the internal apps. That's why I'm here to ask others if they are seeing the same. I'm guessing it's the ATV fault. But seeing how you must have some inside knowledge to know that the Apple TV is doing it correctly....that's great. Thank you. Maybe you can get your colleagues back at the spaceship to respond to my bug report.
I have no inside knowledge and there are no other devices because no one considers on-board apps to be devices. I can appreciate the urge to say -- "Sony has defined this, if you fail it's your fault" -- but the only thing we know is that Dolby licenses DV implementations after compliance testing. No one has said what Sony is doing. Everything said about "latency" or "profiles" is speculation. Given that, either end could be failing the protocol.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
bodosom is online now  
post #53 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,299
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
While the ATV4K beta is closely connected with the Sony DV beta recent posts seem more appropriate to Sony threads.
There is no Sony beta that I’m aware of. The commonality is that they are both running the latest profile. This is clearly an Apple beta issue and should be reported so that they can communicate to Dolby.
In the end I’m sure it will be fine.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #54 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I have no inside knowledge and there are no other devices because no one considers on-board apps to be devices. I can appreciate the urge to say -- "Sony has defined this, if you fail it's your fault" -- but the only thing we know is that Dolby licenses DV implementations after compliance testing. No one has said what Sony is doing. Everything said about "latency" or "profiles" is speculation. Given that, either end could be failing the protocol.
Well I guess we’ll have to wait until there are more external devices to test.
kbmb is offline  
post #55 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,299
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I have no inside knowledge and there are no other devices because no one considers on-board apps to be devices. I can appreciate the urge to say -- "Sony has defined this, if you fail it's your fault" -- but the only thing we know is that Dolby licenses DV implementations after compliance testing. No one has said what Sony is doing. Everything said about "latency" or "profiles" is speculation. Given that, either end could be failing the protocol.
This is 100% speculation and, with all due respect, incorrect. Dolby Vision and the profile characteristics are on the device not the app. You have made several leaps here such as this is a Sony specific profile (we don’t know that). Other manufacturers such as Oppo and Onkyo in addition to Sony are updating their hardware to accommodate this “new” Dolby implementation but we don’t know if it’s Dolby’s latest and greatest or if it’s an accommodation to Sony. In either case it “looks” better not going through the ATV4K but dimmer going through it. That fact alone should be an indicator and it’s up to Apple to troubleshoot it. That said, it’s not the end of the world. This is fixable and will benefit everyone.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #56 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,190
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
You have made several leaps here such as this is a Sony specific profile (we don’t know that).
You should read what I wrote more carefully.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
bodosom is online now  
post #57 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,299
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
You should read what I wrote more carefully.
Dolby has technical documents describing each of their profiles and how they work. Sony has made pubic statements about which profile was implemented for them by Dolby (low latency profile). That’s not speculation. You’re assuming (or speculating) that the issue we have here is not an Apple issue. We don’t know that. So unless you know something we don’t know this is an issue that should be reported to the beta dev team for further review and IMHO is relevant to be included in this thread. Fair?

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #58 of 1935 Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,190
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Dolby has technical documents describing each of their profiles and how they work. Sony has made pubic statements about which profile was implemented for them by Dolby (low latency profile). ...this is an issue that should be reported
Please provide a reference to the "low latency" DV profile.
Likewise statements from Sony with reliable provenance.

As previously noted I can accept that "either end could be failing the protocol." I also hope that bugs (or possible bugs) will be reported.

However let's consider a known problem. Some HDMI sourced DV content shows improper black. The rumor is that Dolby accepts this as a flaw in the "decoder" and has produced a fix to be implemented on the display side. So the current known DV PQ issue is caused by improper rendering in the display.

As an aside -- I'm completely confident that Apple owns instances of every DV capable device that can be connected to an ATV4K.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
bodosom is online now  
post #59 of 1935 Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,299
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Please provide a reference to the "low latency" DV profile.
Likewise statements from Sony with reliable provenance.

As previously noted I can accept that "either end could be failing the protocol." I also hope that bugs (or possible bugs) will be reported.

However let's consider a known problem. Some HDMI sourced DV content shows improper black. The rumor is that Dolby accepts this as a flaw in the "decoder" and has produced a fix to be implemented on the display side. So the current known DV PQ issue is caused by improper rendering in the display.

As an aside -- I'm completely confident that Apple owns instances of every DV capable device that can be connected to an ATV4K.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...-92-171021.pdf

There’s also the Robert Zohn article, which I’m sure you’ve seen, describing his conversation with Oppo and Sony where we first heard the term “low latency profile” which mapped to Dolby Level 5 in this document as their “software implementation” which at the time of this document (October 2017) was still being tested. So I don’t know if you consider Zohn “reliable provenance” or not but it’s all we have other than users on this forum getting similar info from Oppo and Sony techs themselves.
I don’t know a lot about the raised black issue you mention other than I’ve seen posts from owners complaining about it and Apple was said to be addressing it. That’s not an issue for Sony owners with ATV4K Beta though. In fact yesterday was the first time I became aware of the brightness issue. Again, people shouldn’t freak out about these things. Dolby and the hardware manufacturers will work this out...there’s too much $$ at stake.
I’d urge other Apple beta testers (both public beta and those of us in the dev program) to report this as a bug. Not as a post in the beta forums but formally.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #60 of 1935 Old 02-13-2018, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,190
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
There’s also the Robert Zohn article, which I’m sure you’ve seen, describing his conversation with Oppo and Sony where we first heard the term “low latency profile” which mapped to Dolby Level 5 in this document as their “software implementation” which at the time of this document (October 2017) was still being tested. So I don’t know if you consider Zohn “reliable provenance”
No I don't consider Zohn an authoritative spokesman for any manufacturer. I'm sure Sony doesn't consider him to be one.

In any case not only is there no mention of latency in the Dolby Vision Profiles and Levels (DVPL) document, the only direct reference to reduced processing is FEL vs. MEL. MEL is new in the 1.2.92 DVPL which led to speculation that profile 4/MEL was the "low latency" profile Zohn referenced. Of course, as you note, a single stream profile (5 or 8) would presumably be lowest overhead.

I assume you're unaware that Apple has always used profile 5.
"Video Formats ... HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p ..."

My current idle speculation is that Sony wants profile 8 and Dolby introduced sufficient flexibility/ambiguity in the spec that two validated instances are slightly out of sync or, like the "elevated" black issue, there are some required decoder tweaks.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
bodosom is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off