Apple TV 4K lacks support for 24.000 video - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 247Likes

post #151 of 537 Old 12-30-2019, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Again I agree it’s not a solution but I’m just asking out of interest....some tvs can apparently extract a 24hz signal from a 60hz source. Will this solve the problem for those owners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 537 Old 12-30-2019, 01:39 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 3327 Post(s)
Liked: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
Again I agree it’s not a solution but I’m just asking out of interest....some tvs can apparently extract a 24hz signal from a 60hz source. Will this solve the problem for those owners?
I think it will depend on the TV processing. The result is that you get something like the following frame cadence sent to the TV:
3 2 3 2 3 2 2 2 3 2 3 2
Note the middle 2 instead of a 3 expected.
The TV will still have to decide what to do at that point - it might drop out of film mode due to the cadence discontinuity. I think it will only hide the issue if the TV is reconstructing frames for its display engine and ends up doing some kind of frame blending from the incoming frame sequence. This may well be possible without introducing soap opera effect.

My own display (JVC projector) does have a mode for detecting film cadence in 60p sources and getting back to 24p frames. It doesn't eliminate the issue but it can help mask it a bit.
post #153 of 537 Old 12-30-2019, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Ah ok. Makes sense. My current TV (LG E6) can’t do reverse pull down but my C9 which is coming on Friday can. I’ll have a look some time over the weekend

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 537 Old 12-30-2019, 06:56 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
Ah ok. Makes sense. My current TV (LG E6) can’t do reverse pull down but my C9 which is coming on Friday can. I’ll have a look some time over the weekend
Be interesting to know, as you've got an eye for the issue. I'm considering a TV upgrade and the reverse pull down doesn't get broken by odd cadence then it is a viable solution (doesn't help with my projection setup though, and that is the one I use the most).

The Netflix test videos I find consistently the easiest to spot it on - once you zone into watching the circle going round the test card you can spot it pretty quickly if it is happening.
post #155 of 537 Old 12-30-2019, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I noticed Witcher stuttering and it's disappointing to find out it's because of the apple tv. I have a c9 so i'm going to go ahead and turn off frame rate matching to see how it plays because i'm not happy with the stutter. Or better yet i'll just use the native app.

Last edited by Tygeezy; 12-30-2019 at 10:06 AM.
post #156 of 537 Old 12-30-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygeezy View Post
I noticed Witcher stuttering and it's disappointing to find out it's because of the apple tv. I have a c9 so i'm going to go ahead and turn off frame rate matching to see how it plays because i'm not happy with the stutter. Or better yet i'll just use the native app.
With all these complaints about lack of 24 Hz support, I am definitely interested to hear how newer TVs like the C9 handle it with frame rate matching OFF.
Balthazar Lin likes this.
post #157 of 537 Old 01-01-2020, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
With all these complaints about lack of 24 Hz support, I am definitely interested to hear how newer TVs like the C9 handle it with frame rate matching OFF.
I tried it on my Sony A9F, which does a great job recovering film-based content on my FIOS box, and the results weren't good. No combination of Motionflow and CineMotion settings looked right; in fact, it was worse. Probably a byproduct of taking 24.000Hz content, converting it to 59.976 (or 60Hz, I don't know what the Apple TV is doing here), then asking the display to try to recover the original frames, which might be using 23.976 as its target rather than 24. Not surprising that all these conversions would provide a messy result.

In addition to Netflix, this issue also makes the Criterion Channel app useless, because most of their content seems to be encoded at 24.000Hz. Pretty disappointing that Apple hasn't addressed this after all this time.
post #158 of 537 Old 01-02-2020, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Change.org petition to try to get Apple's attention.

If enough people sign it there's a chance Apple at least notices it.

http://chng.it/VP6bjXLsQb
bobof, smett and Sledgehamma like this.
post #159 of 537 Old 01-02-2020, 07:20 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Change.org petition to try to get Apple's attention.

If enough people sign it there's a chance Apple at least notices it.

http://chng.it/VP6bjXLsQb
They also don't support it in the European market. I think they don't support it properly in any market.
post #160 of 537 Old 01-02-2020, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
They also don't support it in the European market. I think they don't support it properly in any market.
Surprising but with it being Apple sounds about right.

Feel free to sign the petition and comment on it further.

This is either a hardware limitation, a firmware issue or simply indifference on Apple's part.

If enough people raise attention on it perhaps we can find out which it is.
post #161 of 537 Old 01-02-2020, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I have some basic questions about this, and my searches here and the internet came up empty. Maybe I'm not using the correct keywords.

What frame rate does Netflix actually send their material in? Is it the native rate it was filmed in, or is always sent in 60 fps for 1080p material and 30 fps for 4k material to maintain device compatibility? Then, it's the device's responsibility to "extract" the native rate if it's compatible with it?

If it's sent natively, is it then the device's responsibility to convert it to 60 fps for the tv if the device/tv can't handle the native rate?

I'm really trying to wrap my head around what happens to the native 24.000 fps signal and what Netflix expects to happen with it.

I have the option of watching Netflix on my Apple tv at 60 fps or at native frame rate. I can also watch it on my tv's built in app (Sony X900F with Android TV). I have no options to change the frame rate from within my tv's app, so what frame rate is the tv using to show the Netflix content?
post #162 of 537 Old 01-02-2020, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Apple TV 4K lacks support for 24.000 video

The material is shot natively in 24.000hz presented as 24.000hz and I’m sure Netflix expects the display to play it at 24.000hz. It’s worth emphasising that this is not a Netflix issue it affects iTunes content as well. In fact Netflix is not that big a deal as my tv can play everything correctly via its inbuilt app. A lot of European films are shot at 24.000hz and the Apple TV cannot play them correctly despite Apple happily selling you them via the device.

Last edited by Andrew Stirling; 01-02-2020 at 12:16 PM.
post #163 of 537 Old 01-02-2020, 11:03 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
I have some basic questions about this, and my searches here and the internet came up empty. Maybe I'm not using the correct keywords.

What frame rate does Netflix actually send their material in? Is it the native rate it was filmed in, or is always sent in 60 fps for 1080p material and 30 fps for 4k material to maintain device compatibility? Then, it's the device's responsibility to "extract" the native rate if it's compatible with it?

If it's sent natively, is it then the device's responsibility to convert it to 60 fps for the tv if the device/tv can't handle the native rate?

I'm really trying to wrap my head around what happens to the native 24.000 fps signal and what Netflix expects to happen with it.
Netflix stream in the original rate; not often in 59.94/60p as most content originates from 23.976 (and now 24.0p). Even though most folk will often be familar with TV content like Friends from the TV distributed / DVD versions at 59.94i they were 23.976p/24p productions.

Netflix just expect it to be played to the best of the device's ability I guess - there have been several devices produced which do this without drama; tellingly made by AV companies and not tech companies (Sony and Samsung UHD players both play 24.000p at 24.000p if you enable 24p playback in the menus).

Netflix's "Originals" specification mandates that content be supplied in the original filmed frame rate. With no requirement for broadcast distribution content producers no longer need to be constrained by the non-integer 23.976/59.94 rates. (which only happened to give a constant 3:2 pulldown for NTSC's 59.94 rate).

As others point out, this isn't unique to Netflix, and at least for Netflix there are alternative ways to play back affected titles. I'm not aware of any AppleTV supporting apps on devices that definitely do 24.000p yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
I have the option of watching Netflix on my Apple tv at 60 fps or at native frame rate. I can also watch it on my tv's built in app (Sony X900F with Android TV). I have no options to change the frame rate from within my tv's app, so what frame rate is the tv using to show the Netflix content?
To work that out, unless you can pull up some on-screen diagnostics on the Sony, or find out from someone who's already worked it out, you'd need a high framerate camera and the Netflix test pattern library. That should allow you to work out if it is outputting at ~59.94/60p (by spotting whether there is an obvious 3:2 cadence in the presentation from the frame timing), and whether there are any dropped frames characteristic of 23.976p / 59.94p presentation of 24p material. (there are test videos for both 23.976p and 24.0p in the library, along with 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60).

Netflix clearly consider all these frame rates to be valid, and at least one arm of Apple does too as the HLS streaming specification for AppleTV also supports them. 24.0, 30.0 and 60.0 do not play back correctly without dropped frames on current AppleTV hardware, but this is really only being noticed on 24.0p as that is where most of the affected real content is.
hodgjy likes this.
post #164 of 537 Old 01-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated.
bobof likes this.
post #165 of 537 Old 01-04-2020, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 30
This is one of those issues I really wish I hadn't noticed, but I think it's hard to not see it on an OLED display, for anyone with a keen sense of frame rate (which I figure is anyone on here).

If I'm correct in summarizing the POVs above, the best current solution is to shift to a new device for 24p content, which is doable for me for Netflix. If we're forced to use the ATV (I am for Criterion having no other compatible devices) turning matched frame rate off for 24p is somewhat beneficial as we are able to preserve all original frames even if there's drops in the cadence?

LG OLED55B7A | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700
Pioneer Sx-750 | TEC TC-7220 | Kenwood VR 507 | ADS 500 Acoustic Suspension Speakers
Denon DL-110 | Technics SL-1700
post #166 of 537 Old 01-05-2020, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie.modernist View Post
This is one of those issues I really wish I hadn't noticed, but I think it's hard to not see it on an OLED display, for anyone with a keen sense of frame rate (which I figure is anyone on here).

If I'm correct in summarizing the POVs above, the best current solution is to shift to a new device for 24p content, which is doable for me for Netflix. If we're forced to use the ATV (I am for Criterion having no other compatible devices) turning matched frame rate off for 24p is somewhat beneficial as we are able to preserve all original frames even if there's drops in the cadence?
I bought a Shield TV Pro over the weekend to try it out and the Criterion Channel is available in the Google Play store.

I was able to use the Refresh Rate app to set Criterion's default resolution/frame rate to 1080p23.976 at startup and I get zero skipped frames on film content, with the added bonus of letting my Sony A9F do the upscaling to 4K. I did get skipped frames at 24Hz though, which is odd considering I get skipped frames on the ATV at 23.976Hz (implying a 24Hz signal), almost as if the ATV is getting a true 24Hz frame rate from Criterion and the Shield is getting 23.976Hz.

It's a bit clunky getting it all set up because different apps handle the frame rate change differently, but I now get native resolution and frame rate from all my content on Netflix, Prime, and Criterion (requires a button press to trigger it sometimes, but not a big deal). I watched a few episodes of After Life on Netflix earlier at its native 25Hz and it was smooth as butter.

Nvidia also has a native refresh rate switch in their current beta release, so hopefully official support will arrive soon.
post #167 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 12:58 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
Nvidia also has a native refresh rate switch in their current beta release, so hopefully official support will arrive soon.
The native switch is manual though, isn't it? Who can be bothered with that?
post #168 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The native switch is manual though, isn't it? Who can be bothered with that?
People who have no other option.
post #169 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 02:56 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
People who have no other option.
It's just so backwards though it makes me not even want to bother with the device if that is their proposed solution to framerate switching; that the end user is expected to know what the correct framerate is of some piece of content and adjust to suit.

Unless I'm mistaken there isn't actually any easy way to work out what the correct frame rate is on the Shield for a given piece of playing video - or does it tell you what the currently playing video frame rate is when you pull up the menu (which I guess it could to to ease the pain).
post #170 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
It's just so backwards though it makes me not even want to bother with the device if that is their proposed solution to framerate switching; that the end user is expected to know what the correct framerate is of some piece of content and adjust to suit.

Unless I'm mistaken there isn't actually any easy way to work out what the correct frame rate is on the Shield for a given piece of playing video - or does it tell you what the currently playing video frame rate is when you pull up the menu (which I guess it could to to ease the pain).

Yes you are mistaken.

The Shield knows the correct frame rate and pressing the button adjusts to suit...
post #171 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 07:19 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewan hoozarmy View Post
Yes you are mistaken.

The Shield knows the correct frame rate and pressing the button adjusts to suit...
Can you please describe exactly how it works as I've already gone through the pain of returning a 2017 shield last year after being told that did auto rate switching out of the box with Netflix.

Is it a matter of playing content and then pressing a single button on the remote handset? Which button? Or do you play content, bring up a menu, navigate to a function and then select it? Is there no selection whatsoever necessary of the frame rate - it is fully automatic and gets 24 vs 23.976, 60 vs 59.94 and 30 vs 29.97 right?

Out of interest, what does it do for 30 and 25 - does it use those rates or double them like Appletv does?

Thanks!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
post #172 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Can you please describe exactly how it works as I've already gone through the pain of returning a 2017 shield last year after being told that did auto rate switching out of the box with Netflix.

Is it a matter of playing content and then pressing a single button on the remote handset? Which button? Or do you play content, bring up a menu, navigate to a function and then select it? Is there no selection whatsoever necessary of the frame rate - it is fully automatic and gets 24 vs 23.976, 60 vs 59.94 and 30 vs 29.97 right?

Out of interest, what does it do for 30 and 25 - does it use those rates or double them like Appletv does?

Thanks!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

There is a button on the new 2019 remote that you can map to the change frame rate function.

So once this has been done you just press the button - there is no selection whatsoever of the frame rate.

For 30 and 25 it uses those exact rates and doesn’t double up.

But apparently the feature will always be in beta and it does sometimes hang when I’ve used it. So it’s not perfect but works 90% of the time...
bobof likes this.
post #173 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I watched like 3 or 4 movies over the last few days and most of them were 24fps (not including The Witcher).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #174 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 08:15 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
There is a button on the new 2019 remote that you can map to the change frame rate function.

So once this has been done you just press the button - there is no selection whatsoever of the frame rate.

For 30 and 25 it uses those exact rates and doesn’t double up.

But apparently the feature will always be in beta and it does sometimes hang when I’ve used it. So it’s not perfect but works 90% of the time...
Thanks. What is the nature of the hang?
post #175 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks. What is the nature of the hang?

Sometimes nothing happens and the button doesn’t respond
post #176 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 09:24 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Sometimes nothing happens and the button doesn’t respond
Ok, so it doesn't actually hang the unit? Does it then work for the next content you select, or are you in a state where a restart is needed to get the function working again?
post #177 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Ok, so it doesn't actually hang the unit? Does it then work for the next content you select, or are you in a state where a restart is needed to get the function working again?

No it doesn’t crash or hang the unit. You don’t need to restart, just hit the back button and select different content....
bobof likes this.
post #178 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked: 4137
Quote:
I bought a Shield TV Pro over the weekend to try it out and the Criterion Channel is available in the Google Play store.

I was able to use the Refresh Rate app to set Criterion's default resolution/frame rate to 1080p23.976 at startup and I get zero skipped frames on film content, with the added bonus of letting my Sony A9F do the upscaling to 4K. I did get skipped frames at 24Hz though, which is odd considering I get skipped frames on the ATV at 23.976Hz (implying a 24Hz signal), almost as if the ATV is getting a true 24Hz frame rate from Criterion and the Shield is getting 23.976Hz.

It's a bit clunky getting it all set up because different apps handle the frame rate change differently, but I now get native resolution and frame rate from all my content on Netflix, Prime, and Criterion (requires a button press to trigger it sometimes, but not a big deal). I watched a few episodes of After Life on Netflix earlier at its native 25Hz and it was smooth as butter.

Nvidia via a posting in their forum has stated there will be no auto-refresh rate support coming, the beta feature is as good as it's going to get.
post #179 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 12:16 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Nvidia via a posting in their forum has stated there will be no auto-refresh rate support coming, the beta feature is as good as it's going to get.
I'd love to know what their logic is for that position. Have you got a link?
post #180 of 537 Old 01-06-2020, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked: 4137
Quote:
I'd love to know what their logic is for that position. Have you got a link?
I'll have to hunt it down as it was posted in the main Nvidia Shield thread. The poster did mention something about Google being part of the reason in some manner. I'll find it though as I'd like to know a bit more about it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page