Apple TV 4K lacks support for 24.000 video - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 130Likes

post #241 of 327 Old 02-06-2020, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone know if the Beta of tvOS 13.4 has the fix for this?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 327 Old 02-06-2020, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmx View Post
Does anyone know if the Beta of tvOS 13.4 has the fix for this?
It wasn't in the release notes for the general iOS release. Interestingly, the 13.4 beta of TV OS lists an A12 processor. I wonder if there is a hardware limitation in the A10 that prevents 24.000.
post #243 of 327 Old 02-06-2020, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 4020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
It wasn't in the release notes for the general iOS release. Interestingly, the 13.4 beta of TV OS lists an A12 processor. I wonder if there is a hardware limitation in the A10 that prevents 24.000.
A hardware limitation seems very unlikely. A more probable reason is that Apple simply hasn't "white-listed" the 24.000 frame rate as a valid playback rate.
hodgjy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 327 Old 02-06-2020, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
I don't think I tried Criterion at 60Hz and my ATV isn't hooked up at the moment, sorry. My TV's film cadence processing didn't work well with Netflix on the ATV, so I didn't even try it on anything else.
I just ran a test of forcing the app to a few menu options, 4k @ 60hz, 4K @ 30Hz, and 4K @ 24Hz (obviously not 24.00 hence the point of this thread). None of the options eliminated the dropped frames. I'm not sure how much this has to due with the issue of the thread, having no access to the developer HUD to check the frame rate the app is spitting out with Match Rate turned on. It certainly has the same look that the issue has on Irishman and Witcher. Either way it's pretty annoying, I can see past it most of the time, and its usually buried with cuts, but when you notice it, it takes you right out of the film. Currently I don't have any other option to play back CC, and don't feel like it's worth it to invest in another box to due so. Crazy we have thousands of dollars worth of equipment and hundreds in subscription fees and can't even play back content properly...
thirdkind likes this.

LG OLED55B7A | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700
Pioneer Sx-750 | TEC TC-7220 | Kenwood VR 507 | ADS 500 Acoustic Suspension Speakers
Denon DL-110 | Technics SL-1700
post #245 of 327 Old 02-06-2020, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie.modernist View Post
Crazy we have thousands of dollars worth of equipment and hundreds in subscription fees and can't even play back content properly...
Between this issue and Sony's recent OLED firmware-induced audio dropouts, I've found myself thinking the exact same thing lately.
zombie.modernist likes this.
post #246 of 327 Old 02-07-2020, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 327
The annoying thing is Apple not resolving this issue in a premium streaming device so far into lifecycle. Have they even said anything Bout it?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #247 of 327 Old 02-07-2020, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5481 Post(s)
Liked: 3749
Quote:
Between this issue and Sony's recent OLED firmware-induced audio dropouts, I've found myself thinking the exact same thing lately.
What firmware induced dropouts? Using Arc?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #248 of 327 Old 02-07-2020, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
What firmware induced dropouts? Using Arc?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Some users are experiencing audio hiccups on the A9F/A9G using the internal apps with various receivers when using eARC after the latest firmware update. There's also an issue with Netflix having no audio at all that requires a reboot to fix. I had none of these issues on the previous version.

I think some users reported having the same audio issues when using the built-in speakers also.
post #249 of 327 Old 02-07-2020, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So what is the consensus on the preferred settings to at least somewhat deal with this issue? Every movie I have watched on the Criterion Channel app seems to stutter every few seconds. Very annoying, and I'm sure its related to this issue. Haven't noticed this issue on Netflix or other Apps. So should I turn off Match Frame Rate? Adjust to 4K at 24hz? Currently have 4K SDR at 60hz, with both frame rate and range set to On. Thanks
post #250 of 327 Old 02-07-2020, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Netflix original Diablero added to to list.
post #251 of 327 Old 02-07-2020, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsamilton View Post
So what is the consensus on the preferred settings to at least somewhat deal with this issue? Every movie I have watched on the Criterion Channel app seems to stutter every few seconds. Very annoying, and I'm sure its related to this issue. Haven't noticed this issue on Netflix or other Apps. So should I turn off Match Frame Rate? Adjust to 4K at 24hz? Currently have 4K SDR at 60hz, with both frame rate and range set to On. Thanks

There isn’t a way of fixing it. Or working round it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #252 of 327 Old 02-07-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Yup, no solution, outside of looking for another device, I went through pretty much the whole menu last night, and nothing I tested eliminated it, and alternate frame rates just caused worse judder. The issue discussed in this thread is certainly there on the list of Netflix content complied upthread, you may just not have seen it as the majority content is not 24.00p.

I'm still not 100% certain what's causing the CC issue, as it seems to transcend the Apple TV and be an issue on iOS and even some web browsers. Honestly it's hard to say if it's Criterion's ineptitude at running a streaming service, or Apple's at managing frame rate.

At some point in the future I might look at the cheap sticks from Roku or Amazon as an alternative because I really don't want to invest into another premium box / platform, but I'm not fully conceived those will handle motion for CC well either.

Pioneer Sx-750 | TEC TC-7220 | Kenwood VR 507 | ADS 500 Acoustic Suspension Speakers
post #253 of 327 Old 02-07-2020, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm still not 100% certain what's causing the CC issue, as it seems to transcend the Apple TV and be an issue on iOS and even some web browsers. Honestly it's hard to say if it's Criterion's ineptitude at running a streaming service, or Apple's at managing frame rate.

At some point in the future I might look at the cheap sticks from Roku or Amazon as an alternative because I really don't want to invest into another premium box / platform, but I'm not fully conceived those will handle motion for CC well either.
The Criterion Android app seems to be fine on both my A9F and Shield TV with no frame rate issues. I can manually select 23.976 on the Shield and everything plays smoothly, as does leaving the Shield at 59.94 and letting the A9F's processing recover the proper cadence. I'm not sure if the internal A9F app is providing a true 23.976/24 stream or 59.94, but it's also smooth.

Does Criterion have an app on LG TVs?
post #254 of 327 Old 02-08-2020, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I reached out to Criterion asking if they were aware of the issue and their response was:

"Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working to fix the problem as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience while they look into this. In the interim, the engineers have asked us to pass this along - If you are varying between watching TV and films you may be better off allowing the ATV to set itself to the regional standard and then enabling "Settings>Video and Audio>Match Content>Match Frame Rate>ON" which will switch the frame rate to 24 Hz when you start a film"

Its nice knowing that CC is at least aware of the issue and working on the fix. But as others have mentioned, it seems to be more of an ATV issue? Even if CC does release an update I'm wondering if that would even fix the issue completely? Is this something Apple can fix through software update, or is this a hardware limitation?
post #255 of 327 Old 02-09-2020, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 371
CC can't fix it as the 24.000 frame rate is not supported by the ATV. The only thing they can do is to ask Apple again and again to include this frame rate.
I don't see any reason why this would be a hardware limitation of the box. It should be easily fixed by Apple.

Reading this response I'm not sure if they even understand the issue...
1. They can't fix it
2. Match frame rate doesn't solve the problem, but is part of the problem

Sounds more like a standard response to me.
post #256 of 327 Old 02-09-2020, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Add The Siege of Jadotville on Netflix to the list.
post #257 of 327 Old 02-09-2020, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
Add The Siege of Jadotville on Netflix to the list.
The Siege of Jadotville has been added to the list.
hodgjy likes this.
post #258 of 327 Old 02-09-2020, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 81
How about Black Mirror on Netflix? I get almost constant judder or something playing by AppleTV on my projector, which doesn’t support 24.000 or 60.000 (and maybe not 30.000). Thanks.
post #259 of 327 Old 02-09-2020, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
How about Black Mirror on Netflix? I get almost constant judder or something playing by AppleTV on my projector, which doesn’t support 24.000 or 60.000 (and maybe not 30.000). Thanks.
Black Mirror is from the UK, and is produced in 25.000, and when Match Frame Rate is on on the Apple TV, it will output that, frame doubled to 50.000p

If you output it at anything else, you will get judder/repeated/dropped frames.
ShoutingMan likes this.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
post #260 of 327 Old 02-10-2020, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I went through this thread and collected all the titles that were mentioned with the frame rate issue. I may have missed a few and I'm sure there are at least this much more, maybe 100's of titles with a 24.000 frame rate that the Apple TV(and many other devices) cannot play correctly.
Here are some more 24fps shows on Netflix that I don't think are on your list?

Dolomite Is My Name
Fractured
The King
Dark Tourist
Wounds
Let It Snow
The Laundromat
Tell Me Who I Am
In The Tall Grass
The Combination Redemption
The Red Sea Diving Resort
Murder Mystery
Sand Castle
Paradise Beach
Klaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
LG 65C9, I'm very pleased with the seamless refresh rate switching for all available rates, there isn't even noticeable blanking/syncing since it's not connected through HDMI.
I'm also eyeing off a C9 or CX, and am keen to experience this seamless switching, although I find using the Shield with the Refresh Rate tool is excellent, especially now that you can turn off previews in Netflix.
post #261 of 327 Old 02-10-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
CC can't fix it as the 24.000 frame rate is not supported by the ATV. The only thing they can do is to ask Apple again and again to include this frame rate.
I don't see any reason why this would be a hardware limitation of the box. It should be easily fixed by Apple.

Reading this response I'm not sure if they even understand the issue...
1. They can't fix it
2. Match frame rate doesn't solve the problem, but is part of the problem

Sounds more like a standard response to me.
Standard response indeed. I complained recently and I made sure to say I had already tried this and I got the other standard response that I they are "working on it". No clarity as to what the issue is still, but likely that they're exported in 24.00p IMO.

Quote:

Does Criterion have an app on LG TVs?
No webOS support (and I suspect they wouldn't support a 2017 model if it did have it). I may just check out a $40 ROKU Stick+ after tax return time, which people seem to like for Criterion. For the price of one Criterion BR I can stomach it if Apple refuses to fix the issue. Humorously I saw a thread about that device elsewhere stating that it had the opposite problem — doubling up frames from 23.976p as it was natively exporting 24.0p. Amazingly stupid all around.

post #262 of 327 Old 02-10-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Standard response indeed. I complained recently and I made sure to say I had already tried this and I got the other standard response that I they are "working on it". No clarity as to what the issue is still, but likely that they're exported in 24.00p IMO.

No webOS support (and I suspect they wouldn't support a 2017 model if it did have it). I may just check out a $40 ROKU Stick+ after tax return time, which people seem to like for Criterion. For the price of one Criterion BR I can stomach it if Apple refuses to fix the issue. Humorously I saw a thread about that device elsewhere stating that it had the opposite problem — doubling up frames from 23.976p as it was natively exporting 24.0p. Amazingly stupid all around.
Ironically now I can play 24p Netflix content with my $25 Fire TV 4k stick through Kodi with both DV+Atmos.

For a supposedly high end device, why doesn’t Apple seem to care?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #263 of 327 Old 02-10-2020, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2dak View Post
Here are some more 24fps shows on Netflix that I don't think are on your list?

Dolomite Is My Name
Fractured
The King
Dark Tourist
Wounds
Let It Snow
The Laundromat
Tell Me Who I Am
In The Tall Grass
The Combination Redemption
The Red Sea Diving Resort
Murder Mystery
Sand Castle
Paradise Beach
Klaus

Above titles added on 02-10-20
post #264 of 327 Old 02-10-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Ironically now I can play 24p Netflix content with my $25 Fire TV 4k stick through Kodi with both DV+Atmos.

For a supposedly high end device, why doesn’t Apple seem to care?
Same reason they and LG, didn't really do much to fix the Dolby Vision issues over HDMI, most folks don't notice it, and those that do aren't able to crack through to the teams that could make a change happen, because the companies are literally too large. The only hope at this point would be a fix on the new TVOS, a fix on the new model of ATV (I'd hate to buy another one, but I would if the issue is fixed) or by some hope a tech journalist puts them on blast. Unfortunately many folks don't seem to see this at all, so little will likely be done.

post #265 of 327 Old 02-11-2020, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Same reason they and LG, didn't really do much to fix the Dolby Vision issues over HDMI, most folks don't notice it, and those that do aren't able to crack through to the teams that could make a change happen, because the companies are literally too large. The only hope at this point would be a fix on the new TVOS, a fix on the new model of ATV (I'd hate to buy another one, but I would if the issue is fixed) or by some hope a tech journalist puts them on blast. Unfortunately many folks don't seem to see this at all, so little will likely be done.
Maybe we need to get this out to some reporters then - I believe John Archer from forbes or Vincent Teoh from hdtvtest would be good places to start.
post #266 of 327 Old 02-11-2020, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 585
John archer promised to take a look after CES. I’ll give him a friendly nudge on Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #267 of 327 Old 02-11-2020, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:

When I was a Criterion Channel subscriber last year I had this stutter everywhere: on the iOS app, the Apple TV app, and even the web browser if I remember correctly. It seems like a Criterion Channel issue, and not specifically an Apple TV one. This is this exact issue that had me drop my subscription.

Quote:
I reached out to Criterion asking if they were aware of the issue and their response was:

"Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working to fix the problem as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience while they look into this. In the interim, the engineers have asked us to pass this along - If you are varying between watching TV and films you may be better off allowing the ATV to set itself to the regional standard and then enabling "Settings>Video and Audio>Match Content>Match Frame Rate>ON" which will switch the frame rate to 24 Hz when you start a film"

Its nice knowing that CC is at least aware of the issue and working on the fix. But as others have mentioned, it seems to be more of an ATV issue? Even if CC does release an update I'm wondering if that would even fix the issue completely? Is this something Apple can fix through software update, or is this a hardware limitation?

When I contacted their technical support last year (early summer I think), they replied something very similar. So while they are aware of the issue, they sure don't seem in a hurry to fix it.

Last edited by ForecastV; 02-11-2020 at 12:20 PM.
post #268 of 327 Old 02-11-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
John archer promised to take a look after CES. I’ll give him a friendly nudge on Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a good thing such mainstream titles like The Irishman are doing it, because I think that's more likely to get a journalist's attention than anything else.

post #269 of 327 Old 02-11-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForecastV View Post
When I was a Criterion Channel subscriber last year I had this stutter everywhere: on the iOS app, the Apple TV app, and even the web browser if I remember correctly. It seems like a Criterion Channel issue, and not specifically an Apple TV one. This is this exact issue that had me drop my subscription.

When I contacted their technical support last year (early summer if I think), they replied something very similar. So while they are aware of the issue, they sure don't seem in a hurry to fix it.
Yeah that's why I hesitate to lump this in with this thread's issue even though it looks visually similar. I cancelled FilmStruck due to the horrible compression, and I have no doubt Criterion is inept at running a streaming service from a technical perspective and their partner Vimeo doesn't seem to know what they're doing either. If they knew what it was, and it that it was Apple's fault re: the subject of the thread, I'm sure they'd gladly pass the blame. The boilerplate response seems to indicate they don't. Keep in mind they can't seem to figure out soft subs either, and we get ugly clunky hardcoded subs for foreign language titles and nothing for english language ones.
ForecastV likes this.

post #270 of 327 Old 02-12-2020, 01:21 PM

Well I caved and ordered a Roku Streaming Stick+ for use exclusively with Criterion at the suggestion of folks on the Criterion Forum and Reddit who are also bothered by the issue on ATV 4K. I'll update here if anyone is of the same mind as me on the issue (just buying a cheap fix while Criterion and Apple get their s**t together) if it works out for my purposes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page