Spectrum Choice, what do you think? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #61 of 158 Old 01-18-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Need Science and Nat Geo wild or I would go with choice. They also have a non Sports plan called Lifestyle for $25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 158 Old 01-18-2019, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Download an app Called Fitzy tv an log in with your Spectrum credentials. He also has an optional Dvr
Unfortunately for me, upon canceling Spectrum choice my login through Fitzy TV quit working as did all my logins on the over-the-top apps.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah the stopped working a few weeks ago. I had access for 10 months after I cancelled
post #63 of 158 Old 01-23-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I finally got my HDHR Prime in the mail, bought one used off a user here. After some initial issues (dead cablecard from Spectrum) I am up and running and happy so far. Still getting things fine tuned but just as far a firing up live tv and watching it works great.

I ma using the HDHR View app to watch live TV, and Emby is handling my recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 158 Old 01-23-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I finally got my HDHR Prime in the mail, bought one used off a user here. After some initial issues (dead cablecard from Spectrum) I am up and running and happy so far. Still getting things fine tuned but just as far a firing up live tv and watching it works great.

I ma using the HDHR View app to watch live TV, and Emby is handling my recordings.
No DRM, eh?

post #65 of 158 Old 01-23-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Yeah the stopped working a few weeks ago. I had access for 10 months after I cancelled
BASTALDO!

post #66 of 158 Old 01-23-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No DRM, eh?

No DRM on anything but premiums as far as I know. Emby says it won't add channels that have DRM and it added all of them. New news to me though you can still watch the DRM'd channels on the HDHR app on the Shield, just can't record them, so thats cool.
post #67 of 158 Old 02-07-2019, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thinking about trying out Spectrum TV Choice in conjunction with Plex DVR. If I understand things here, that solution warrants the use of a CableCard which Spectrum leases for $2 or $3/mo and a cablecard-compatible tuner such as an HDHomeRun Prime. True Story?

Furthermore, this hardware setup will mean that my TV is actually coming via coax TV cable (as with traditional cable) and NOT streamed over ethernet. Also true?

If this is what I want, does Spectrum still consider this setup "Choice" despite there not being any streaming involved? (Or is streaming ALSO involved in that I could also potentially and simultaneously watch my selected channels via the Spectrum roku app?

To anyone who has attempted this, I'm curious: is the picture/sound quality any better or worse when viewed via CableCard/coax versus their streamed/app counterparts?

Lastly, if I'm going to be trying the Plex DVR solution, is the HDHomeRun my best bet for tuners? Or is something else a better/cheaper bet? Is a TiVo box worth looking at instead?

Thanks in advance for any tips re: this setup!
post #68 of 158 Old 02-07-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbrowncoat View Post
Thinking about trying out Spectrum TV Choice in conjunction with Plex DVR. If I understand things here, that solution warrants the use of a CableCard which Spectrum leases for $2 or $3/mo and a cablecard-compatible tuner such as an HDHomeRun Prime. True Story?

Furthermore, this hardware setup will mean that my TV is actually coming via coax TV cable (as with traditional cable) and NOT streamed over ethernet. Also true?

If this is what I want, does Spectrum still consider this setup "Choice" despite there not being any streaming involved? (Or is streaming ALSO involved in that I could also potentially and simultaneously watch my selected channels via the Spectrum roku app?

To anyone who has attempted this, I'm curious: is the picture/sound quality any better or worse when viewed via CableCard/coax versus their streamed/app counterparts?

Lastly, if I'm going to be trying the Plex DVR solution, is the HDHomeRun my best bet for tuners? Or is something else a better/cheaper bet? Is a TiVo box worth looking at instead?

Thanks in advance for any tips re: this setup!
I just recently did what you want but I am using Emby instead of Plex, very similar though.

You are correct you will need a cablecard rental (comes with a tuning adapter) and a tuner that handles a cable card. I would recommend the HDhomerun Prime over anything else. The reason being is that it is networked, so any device on your network can access the tuners. The problem is it is no longer being made. Plenty are available on Ebay, I bought one through a user on this site. I paid $100 for it, upon my ebay searching if you are a little patient you should get one close to $100.

I asked them about the streaming thing through coax and she told me it is still over the internet, I am not sure if that is true, they had never rented a cablecard with choice in my local shop but they did it and it worked fine, you have the option of using their DVR so no reason a cable card shouldn't be an option.

You are correct in that you can still stream over the internet using their apps, I get a few more channels when I use the Spectrum app over what actually comes through the tuner, basically they throw in a few for free. My main device (Nvidia Shield) doesn't have a Spectrum app yet, so I use the HDhomerun app if I just want to view live TV, Emby handles DVR duty. I have not noticed any difference in picture quality between the different setups.

One thing to mention, you will gain access to many apps because you now have a cable provider, for instance, you can login to the foxnow app, which gives you FX, Nat Geo, Fox News and some others, you can't record, but knowing that may help you in choosing your 10 channels, knowing you will also have access to those through an app. And also the apps on demand catalogs.

HDhomerun is the most versatile I would definitely look at it over any other device. Make sure you are looking at the Prime, its the only one that takes a cable card.

One thing you lose going cablecard is the on demand, well you don't lose it but you need the Spectrum app or the app of a network to access on demand stuff.

Hope that helps.
post #69 of 158 Old 02-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I just recently did what you want but I am using Emby instead of Plex, very similar though.

You are correct you will need a cablecard rental (comes with a tuning adapter) and a tuner that handles a cable card. I would recommend the HDhomerun Prime over anything else. The reason being is that it is networked, so any device on your network can access the tuners. The problem is it is no longer being made. Plenty are available on Ebay, I bought one through a user on this site. I paid $100 for it, upon my ebay searching if you are a little patient you should get one close to $100.

I asked them about the streaming thing through coax and she told me it is still over the internet, I am not sure if that is true, they had never rented a cablecard with choice in my local shop but they did it and it worked fine, you have the option of using their DVR so no reason a cable card shouldn't be an option.

You are correct in that you can still stream over the internet using their apps, I get a few more channels when I use the Spectrum app over what actually comes through the tuner, basically they throw in a few for free. My main device (Nvidia Shield) doesn't have a Spectrum app yet, so I use the HDhomerun app if I just want to view live TV, Emby handles DVR duty. I have not noticed any difference in picture quality between the different setups.

One thing to mention, you will gain access to many apps because you now have a cable provider, for instance, you can login to the foxnow app, which gives you FX, Nat Geo, Fox News and some others, you can't record, but knowing that may help you in choosing your 10 channels, knowing you will also have access to those through an app. And also the apps on demand catalogs.

HDhomerun is the most versatile I would definitely look at it over any other device. Make sure you are looking at the Prime, its the only one that takes a cable card.

One thing you lose going cablecard is the on demand, well you don't lose it but you need the Spectrum app or the app of a network to access on demand stuff.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info and suggestions! Good tip re: the "bonus" channels you get by way of network-specific apps like FoxNow. Also, it looks like there's a new "HDHomeRun Prime 6" coming soon from Silicon Dust. It's listed and pictured on their website. Not sure if it pays to wait for that or just pick up a used one on ebay... thanks again!
post #70 of 158 Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbrowncoat View Post
Thanks for the info and suggestions! Good tip re: the "bonus" channels you get by way of network-specific apps like FoxNow. Also, it looks like there's a new "HDHomeRun Prime 6" coming soon from Silicon Dust. It's listed and pictured on their website. Not sure if it pays to wait for that or just pick up a used one on ebay... thanks again!
Yeah I see that device. It was announced at ces in Jan 2018, was supposed to come out mid year. Now it says 2019 so hopefully it comes sooner than later. Your call on how long you feel like waiting. If the price is right I will probably grab one, 6 tuners would be nice. 3 is good but if you record something back to back on what channel that locks up two tuners for a couple minutes as the shows start and end, which can cause tuner conflicts if you record a lot.
post #71 of 158 Old 02-07-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Hope that helps.
Fees and taxes included what's that setting you back?

(If I may be so bold)

post #72 of 158 Old 02-07-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Fees and taxes included what's that setting you back?

(If I may be so bold)

Yeah no worries, I pay under $30, my bill was $69.99 for 400mbps internet, it is now about $98. The price that choice is at right now is a 2 year price, $21.99, the real price is $34.99. So I will need to call back in two years and negotiate. I have always had good luck with time warner and spectrum hooking me up with whatever promotion is happening at the time to get the rate back down.
post #73 of 158 Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah no worries, I pay under $30, my bill was $69.99 for 400mbps internet, it is now about $98. The price that choice is at right now is a 2 year price, $21.99, the real price is $34.99. So I will need to call back in two years and negotiate. I have always had good luck with time warner and spectrum hooking me up with whatever promotion is happening at the time to get the rate back down.
Pretty competitive pricing. That's with the CableCARD rental too?

I wish they allowed a few more channels.

Right now my SiliconDust PremiumTV is $25 plus $16 for Philo plus all the OTA with subs for free so I'm good with it.

Philo is available everywhere but out of country unless using a VPN or something like that.

We travel out of country once a year but I can live without Philo on vacation. Emby DVR gives me enough for that situation.

Just sorta a PITA to use two apps but Philo has some 40 channels on the AndroidTV home screen now which is pretty nice.

post #74 of 158 Old 02-07-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pretty competitive pricing. That's with the CableCARD rental too?

I wish they allowed a few more channels.

Right now my SiliconDust PremiumTV is $25 plus $16 for Philo plus all the OTA with subs for free so I'm good with it.

Philo is available everywhere but out of country unless using a VPN or something like that.

We travel out of country once a year but I can live without Philo on vacation. Emby DVR gives me enough for that situation.

Just sorta a PITA to use two apps but Philo has some 40 channels on the AndroidTV home screen now which is pretty nice.

That is with the CC rental.
That sounds good, I originally went to go OTA, but my wife doesn't want an antenna outside and I was getting poor signal in the garage. I need the locals so that really cuts down my options. I like to be able to geek out and actually save the recordings to my PC, do edits and transcode and all that. So even though some of the streaming services offer dvr I like that I get to keep my recordings. So does the silicon dust service work through an OTA tuner? Do you actually need the hardware? And will the channels show up in Emby or Plex and let you record like OTA?
post #75 of 158 Old 02-07-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
That is with the CC rental.

That sounds good, I originally went to go OTA, but my wife doesn't want an antenna outside and I was getting poor signal in the garage. I need the locals so that really cuts down my options. I like to be able to geek out and actually save the recordings to my PC, do edits and transcode and all that. So even though some of the streaming services offer dvr I like that I get to keep my recordings. So does the silicon dust service work through an OTA tuner? Do you actually need the hardware? And will the channels show up in Emby or Plex and let you record like OTA?
Yup. They all work. I can run them through MCEBuddy afterwards and strip the commercials then compress to mkv..

Philo, not so much but that's for lazy surfing and watching anyhow..

post #76 of 158 Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup. They all work. I can run them through MCEBuddy afterwards and strip the commercials then compress to mkv..

Philo, not so much but that's for lazy surfing and watching anyhow..

I like how it is tied to the HDHR and works all together like that. For some reason the Premium service doesn't work with a Prime, I think I read it was because of all the restrictions that Cablelabs has on devices. Its my understanding that the premium service doesn't actually use a tuner right? So a person could just buy a cheap duo? How many streams can you have from the premium service?
post #77 of 158 Old 02-08-2019, 08:36 AM

PremiumTV is not available for the Prime for exactly this reason.

PremiumTV does in fact grab a channel so with a Connect Duo you'd only be able to tune 2 at a time. That's giving up 2 of the 4 available streams BTW.

SiliconDust did loose a grip of channels just before Christmas last year due to contract disputes with Hallmark and Discovery. I get those with Philo or alternatively though.

Only thing missing is FX's and FS's for me..

post #78 of 158 Old 02-08-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
PremiumTV is not available for the Prime for exactly this reason.

PremiumTV does in fact grab a channel so with a Connect Duo you'd only be able to tune 2 at a time. That's giving up 2 of the 4 available streams BTW.

SiliconDust did loose a grip of channels just before Christmas last year due to contract disputes with Hallmark and Discovery. I get those with Philo or alternatively though.

Only thing missing is FX's and FS's for me..

Oh it does use a tuner, so the max streams is 4? Even if you have to quatros they limit you to 4? Thats not bad.
post #79 of 158 Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Well, ten months in and I got hit with my first increase. Only $2/mo.; no big deal. But wasn't the price supposed to be locked in for two full years?

Well, the cost of the TV Choice package didn't change. What went up was the (mandatory) local station rebroadcast fee, from $3 to $5. You see, that wasn't included in the locked-in offer. It was added on top.

They did disclose the $3 fee to me when I called to sign up. I don't actually need the locals because I get them via antenna, but they gave me no TV Choice . Besides, I felt it was worth it for the convenience of getting the local channels integrated with the TV Choice channels in Spectrum's app on, like, the iPad. But I didn't consider that the $3 wasn't locked in like the rest of the TV Choice package.

Even at $5/mo. it's still a bargain compared to, say, Dish, which charged $12/mo. for local stations last time I checked. (OTOH, Dish's fee isn't mandatory.) It also still beats a roughly comparable Sling subscription, and I doubt the $5 will go up again for another year at least. By that time the lock-in will be nearly over anyway.

So I won't be canceling service or anything over this; just venting a little. I don't like unpleasant surprises, even small ones.
post #80 of 158 Old 04-02-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought I noticed my second bill was a bit more. I figured the first wasn't the full bill. I'll have to look at it. I'm liking the service. But I use it with a cable card. I can't help but think it would be better just to upgrade to TV select to get way more channels.

But then I have to deal with all the price fluctuations of cable.
post #81 of 158 Old 04-05-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I thought I noticed my second bill was a bit more. I figured the first wasn't the full bill. I'll have to look at it. I'm liking the service. But I use it with a cable card. I can't help but think it would be better just to upgrade to TV select to get way more channels.

But then I have to deal with all the price fluctuations of cable.
Are they marking any of the channels Copy Once / DRM with the CableCARD (Prime tuner?)

If Spectrum would roll an AndroidTV App I might give it a look but I'm pretty pleased with OTA, YTTV and Philo at $55 a month, just would like it all in one guide.

post #82 of 158 Old 04-05-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are they marking any of the channels Copy Once / DRM with the CableCARD (Prime tuner?)

If Spectrum would roll an AndroidTV App I might give it a look but I'm pretty pleased with OTA, YTTV and Philo at $55 a month, just would like it all in one guide.
They're not but I don't have premiums. So I assume they would with HBO, which is pretty cheap I think $7 a month or $15 for all the premiums.

Yeah your setup sounds good, OTA is a pain here and not really an option currently. At least I don't want to do whats necessary.

But my biggest thing here is I get to have everything contained in Emby, manage my own recordings, archive them etc. It just scratched my nerd itch there as I gave up downloading this last year.
post #83 of 158 Old 04-05-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
They're not but I don't have premiums. So I assume they would with HBO, which is pretty cheap I think $7 a month or $15 for all the premiums.

Yeah your setup sounds good, OTA is a pain here and not really an option currently. At least I don't want to do whats necessary.

But my biggest thing here is I get to have everything contained in Emby, manage my own recordings, archive them etc. It just scratched my nerd itch there as I gave up downloading this last year.
So you run the Prime through Emby. I'm wishing I hadn't sold at least one of the two I had now..

At any rate, it's not too difficult to switch apps. I might buy a used Prime somewhere down the line and get just the Choice Plan so I can put it all under one roof and manage my own recordings again but with other options to add content from Cable channels to Emby I'm in no rush to do so. Mainly YTTV and Philo is for instant gratification anyhow. BTW, I just took YTTV off "Pause" due to the imminent demise of PremiumTV when my current billing period runs its course so I still get YTTV for $35 a month and I have Philo on a 6 months for $99 promo which is $16.50 a month until June when it goes to $20 a month.

This switch is just in time though as PremiumTV doesn't have FoxSports and the Angels are on FSWest..

post #84 of 158 Old 04-05-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you run the Prime through Emby. I'm wishing I hadn't sold at least one of the two I had now..

At any rate, it's not too difficult to switch apps. I might buy a used Prime somewhere down the line and get just the Choice Plan so I can put it all under one roof and manage my own recordings again but with other options to add content from Cable channels to Emby I'm in no rush to do so. Mainly YTTV and Philo is for instant gratification anyhow. BTW, I just took YTTV off "Pause" due to the imminent demise of PremiumTV when my current billing period runs its course so I still get YTTV for $35 a month and I have Philo on a 6 months for $99 promo which is $16.50 a month until June when it goes to $20 a month.

This switch is just in time though as PremiumTV doesn't have FoxSports and the Angels are on FSWest..
Yeah I don't actually use Emby for live tv, but live TV is about 5% of my viewing, I just throw on the HDHR app for that, its much faster.

So where are you getting FSW from? Youtube? Didn't know you were also an Angel fan, I used to live around the corner from the stadium. By boss had season tickets 8 rows above the visiting dugout. Hoping they can work it out with Trout, crazy money they're throwing at him.
post #85 of 158 Old 04-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah I don't actually use Emby for live tv, but live TV is about 5% of my viewing, I just throw on the HDHR app for that, its much faster.

So where are you getting FSW from? Youtube? Didn't know you were also an Angel fan, I used to live around the corner from the stadium. By boss had season tickets 8 rows above the visiting dugout. Hoping they can work it out with Trout, crazy money they're throwing at him.
YouTubeTV has FS1, FS2, FSWest and FSSanDiego in my area but doesn't have any ESPN..

Yeah, Trout is an excellent Center Fielder and a great crowd draw but the Angels still need to win games! LOL.. They may have been better off spreading that nearly half-billion around the bull pen and rest of the field but it is what it is.

post #86 of 158 Old 04-05-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
YouTubeTV has FS1, FS2, FSWest and FSSanDiego in my area but doesn't have any ESPN..

Yeah, Trout is an excellent Center Fielder and a great crowd draw but the Angels still need to win games! LOL.. They may have been better off spreading that nearly half-billion around the bull pen and rest of the field but it is what it is.
I know man its hard, if you let him go everyone is mad, but keep him and its tough to build a team. Once in a generation talent though its pretty tough to let that walk.

Oh SD where do you live? I actually grew up a padres fan living in Escondido, well at least in my early days. Its been tough following that team lol.

Oh I just checked and YTTV is available for the first time in my area. Interesting.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #87 of 158 Old 04-05-2019, 11:20 AM

I'm in Riverside so I guess they figure its in between enough..

post #88 of 158 Old 04-05-2019, 11:21 AM

Apparently YTTV is everywhere now..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post57819048

post #89 of 158 Old 04-05-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apparently YTTV is everywhere now..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post57819048
Oh cool, I always check on and off and it always said no. How do you like it, I see there is a DVR feature, is the video quality any good? Do you get 5.1 on most stuff?
post #90 of 158 Old 04-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Oh cool, I always check on and off and it always said no. How do you like it, I see there is a DVR feature, is the video quality any good? Do you get 5.1 on most stuff?
PQ is excellent at 1080p60hz.

The DVR will revert to VOD on a few channels (like proud CBS) forcing you to watch commercials but I record their stuff OTA with ComSkip and Handbrake under MCEBuddy anyhow so no biggie. You get 9 months retention of unlimited recordings.

You can also customize your guide with just the channels you want in the order you want.

It has DD5.1 on a few stations which is a drawback but it keeps getting better. They did switch from 30fps to 60fps a few months back so maybe DD5.1 will come too.

It is a solid runner but I can't help but thinking Google / Alphabet is watching what we watch..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page