Spectrum Choice, what do you think? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #91 of 158 Old 04-05-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
PQ is excellent at 1080p60hz.

The DVR will revert to VOD on a few channels (like proud CBS) forcing you to watch commercials but I record their stuff OTA with ComSkip and Handbrake under MCEBuddy anyhow so no biggie. You get 9 months retention of unlimited recordings.

You can also customize your guide with just the channels you want in the order you want.

It has DD5.1 on a few stations which is a drawback but it keeps getting better. They did switch from 30fps to 60fps a few months back so maybe DD5.1 will come too.

It is a solid runner but I can't help but thinking Google / Alphabet is watching what we watch..
Thanks for the info, they are surely building your profile through your watching habits, creepy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 158 Old 04-13-2019, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Quote:
PQ is excellent at 1080p60hz.

The DVR will revert to VOD on a few channels (like proud CBS) forcing you to watch commercials but I record their stuff OTA with ComSkip and Handbrake under MCEBuddy anyhow so no biggie. You get 9 months retention of unlimited recordings.

You can also customize your guide with just the channels you want in the order you want.

It has DD5.1 on a few stations which is a drawback but it keeps getting better. They did switch from 30fps to 60fps a few months back so maybe DD5.1 will come too.

It is a solid runner but I can't help but thinking Google / Alphabet is watching what we watch..
Thanks for the info, they are surely building your profile through your watching habits, creepy.
Now that the price has gone to $50 a month with the addition of some, not all, Discovery channels I just may return to Spectrum but they're idiots with no app for AndroidTV so a Prime and knowledge of the channels with DRM is needed.

Wish I took note previously. I'm really surprised that they'd let the use of a STB or CableCARD tuner with the discounted streaming service.

post #93 of 158 Old 04-13-2019, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Spectrum streaming is getting more options. They offered me internet, stream + Sports or Digital tier one for $106, $118 for both complete. Choice +sports would be around$45 with $66 for internet. All options less than my current Vue + internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 158 Old 04-13-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now that the price has gone to $50 a month with the addition of some, not all, Discovery channels I just may return to Spectrum but they're idiots with no app for AndroidTV so a Prime and knowledge of the channels with DRM is needed.

Wish I took note previously. I'm really surprised that they'd let the use of a STB or CableCARD tuner with the discounted streaming service.
I saw that they were offering the option to use a DVR, so figured cable card could be a go. At this point I don't think its actually streaming since its using the cable card. More like alacarte cable.

I agree about the android app, I don't know what their problem is. I also notice with the actual app (I use it on my samsung tv now and then) I get a few more channels that I do through the cable card. Like Paramount TV is free (and shows Bellator fights)
post #95 of 158 Old 04-13-2019, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I will probably switch to Spectrum choice ( dropped their cable last July for DirecTV Now) later this month. DTV NOW's online chat manager 'Craig' just informed me an hour ago of a 'current' price increase (his words) of 10 BUX a month!
post #96 of 158 Old 04-17-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post
I will probably switch to Spectrum choice ( dropped their cable last July for DirecTV Now) later this month. DTV NOW's online chat manager 'Craig' just informed me an hour ago of a 'current' price increase (his words) of 10 BUX a month!
Seems to be the thing right now.
post #97 of 158 Old 04-20-2019, 10:43 AM

Cloud DVR should be coming Tuesday $4.99 for 50 programs and 90 days. FYI if you have an Apple TV 4k you can do any package. No need for a STB
post #98 of 158 Old 04-22-2019, 11:32 AM

What about Spectrum Stream? Seems you can add the RSN's to it? I might go that route with CableCARD but wouldn't you know it, you can't select it from their webpage to get pricing..

post #99 of 158 Old 04-22-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Cloud DVR should be coming Tuesday $4.99 for 50 programs and 90 days. FYI if you have an Apple TV 4k you can do any package. No need for a STB
Not bad, I would rather record myself because I like to archive, but nice to see more options.

What do you mean by doing any package with an Apple TV? You mean any standard cable package using the Spectrum app?
Quote:
What about Spectrum Stream? Seems you can add the RSN's to it? I might go that route with CableCARD but wouldn't you know it, you can't select it from their webpage to get pricing..
Spectrum Stream? You mean TV essentials? Man they have too many different offerings.

Don't get me started, you'd think a guy could go to the site and see what it would cost to add a new service, I always get stuck on an endless loop logging in and then it asks for my address. It's like they don't want to take my money.

The cool thing though about cable is the retail store. But mine is usually an hour wait whenever I go there.
post #100 of 158 Old 04-22-2019, 03:14 PM

https://spectrumtv.com/streamPlus/welcome

My replacement Prime came today. I'll get a CableCARD and T.A. and give it a whirl.

post #101 of 158 Old 04-22-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Not bad, I would rather record myself because I like to archive, but nice to see more options.

What do you mean by doing any package with an Apple TV? You mean any standard cable package using the Spectrum app?
Quote:
Spectrum Stream? You mean TV essentials? Man they have too many different offerings.

Don't get me started, you'd think a guy could go to the site and see what it would cost to add a new service, I always get stuck on an endless loop logging in and then it asks for my address. It's like they don't want to take my money.

The cool thing though about cable is the retail store. But mine is usually an hour wait whenever I go there.
The Apple TV replaces the need for a STB , so I was able to bundle silver plan with internet for $132 including an Apple TV. I think RSN come with the basic select plan. There are 3 streaming plans STREAM, LIFESTYLE, CHoice., don't know if essentials is out nationally. Seeing plans you need to scroll to the bottom of Spectrum.com select triple play then go to more plans. If you are an existing customer you need to call and get slightly worse pricing and less of a price lock.
post #102 of 158 Old 04-22-2019, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So is the quality of service good, better, worse since I started this thread?

Is it still a choice of 10 channels? Or did they improve on that?

What about the included channels? Has there been any real changes to them? Last time I checked over 50 of those channels IMO are throw a ways (Music Choice, CSPAN, Shopping, etc).

Do you think my thoughts on this service would still fit? The "choice" part of this service would be better with a larger choice of channels. Instead of just 10, it should be 25 or 30 channels.
post #103 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
So is the quality of service good, better, worse since I started this thread? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]

Is it still a choice of 10 channels? Or did they improve on that?

What about the included channels? Has there been any real changes to them? Last time I checked over 50 of those channels IMO are throw a ways (Music Choice, CSPAN, Shopping, etc).

Do you think my thoughts on this service would still fit? The "choice" part of this service would be better with a larger choice of channels. Instead of just 10, it should be 25 or 30 channels.
Choice is still the same, but they have other options to get the channels you want.
post #104 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Choice is still the same, but they have other options to get the channels you want.
What other options?

post #105 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What other options?
I would assume he is talking about what he mentions below, I believe when I looked into it the straight streaming plan does not allow a cable card. It was app only.

Quote:
The Apple TV replaces the need for a STB , so I was able to bundle silver plan with internet for $132 including an Apple TV. I think RSN come with the basic select plan. There are 3 streaming plans STREAM, LIFESTYLE, CHoice., don't know if essentials is out nationally. Seeing plans you need to scroll to the bottom of Spectrum.com select triple play then go to more plans. If you are an existing customer you need to call and get slightly worse pricing and less of a price lock.
Quote:
https://spectrumtv.com/streamPlus/welcome

My replacement Prime came today. I'll get a CableCARD and T.A. and give it a whirl.
This doesn't really work for me, makes me log in and then takes me to live tv. Charters web presence is pretty bunk.

Last edited by whiteboy714; 04-23-2019 at 09:20 AM.
post #106 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I would assume he is talking about what he mentions below, I believe when I looked into it the straight streaming plan does not allow a cable card. It was app only.

What do you mean by "Straight Streaming Plan"? Choice?

Quote:
This doesn't really work for me, makes me log in and then takes me to live tv. Charters web presence is pretty bunk.
I thought you were using a Prime so you could record locally but signed up for choice? What makes you log in?

Sorry, now I'm confused.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

post #107 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What do you mean by "Straight Streaming Plan"? Choice?

I thought you were using a Prime so you could record locally but signed up for choice? What makes you log in?

Sorry, now I'm confused.

Sorry, the link you shared above, is what I am referring to. I went to it and it just wants me to login to watch live tv over the internet.

When I signed up for Choice Spectrum had a third option. It was streaming only, you didn't have the option of renting an STB/Cablecard and could only watch it live through their app. The thing the guy was talking about above (where the apple tv was mentioned) sounds like an upgraded version of their pure streaming offering (I just made that name up)

You are correct I have Choice, and I record locally with a Prime.
post #108 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Sorry, the link you shared above, is what I am referring to. I went to it and it just wants me to login to watch live tv over the internet.
Since I don't have TV Service from Spectrum right now the link gives me the option to sign up for Spectrum Stream which looks to be Basic Cable plus a few add ins. I'll get a screenshot and share what I'm seeing.

Quote:
When I signed up for Choice Spectrum had a third option. It was streaming only, you didn't have the option of renting an STB/Cablecard and could only watch it live through their app. The thing the guy was talking about above (where the apple tv was mentioned) sounds like an upgraded version of their pure streaming offering (I just made that name up)

Maybe that is what this link is. IDK?

Quote:
You are correct I have Choice, and I record locally with a Prime.
Okay. I didn't misunderstand you.

I'll be checking out what happens with this Prime and streaming services from Spectrum this weekend.

post #109 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 01:03 PM

Here's what happens when I step through that site, with channel listings. They also have the $15 Premium Bundle or A La Cart Premiums but I skipped those. Bottom of the page also says, "*More networks will be included based on your market. Not all markets carry Spectrum News." I don't know what else that includes.

I'm going to give this a shot plus I'm going to see what the real, post promo, price is along with all the fees, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stream 1.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	2557308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stream 2.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	2557310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stream 3.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	2557312  

post #110 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here's what happens when I step through that site, with channel listings. They also have the $15 Premium Bundle or A La Cart Premiums but I skipped those. Bottom of the page also says, "*More networks will be included based on your market. Not all markets carry Spectrum News." I don't know what else that includes.

I'm going to give this a shot plus I'm going to see what the real, post promo, price is along with all the fees, etc.
Be careful if you plan on using a Prime. I think that is the service that does not allow any hardware. It is purely streaming from an app.

I am not positive because what they offer seems to change so often but that seems to be the other one that was available when I got Choice. And you could not rent a cablecard, at least thats what I was told.

When you try to sign up for Choice you see an option for an STB rental, that should be how you tell if it has the ability to use a CC or not. Might want to walk into the retail store if you have one near by?
post #111 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 01:24 PM

Yup..as soon as I have the time.

post #112 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup..as soon as I have the time.

Did you score a good deal on the prime?
post #113 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Where on the Spectrum site did you come across those pages? I can't seem to click to the "Spectrum Choice" information. I see plenty of their internet, cable, mobile bundling crap. But nothing that leads to
Spectrum Choice.
post #114 of 158 Old 04-23-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Where on the Spectrum site did you come across those pages? I can't seem to click to the "Spectrum Choice" information. I see plenty of their internet, cable, mobile bundling crap. But nothing that leads to
Spectrum Choice.
This is Spectrum Stream (Not Choice)
https://www.spectrumtv.com/

For Spectrum Choice you need to log in to https://www.spectrum.net and choose upgrade service.

For it to work:
You cannot already have TV Service.
You must already have Internet Service and a log in.

Otherwise, you need to call or go to a Spectrum Store.

post #115 of 158 Old 04-24-2019, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This is Spectrum Stream (Not Choice)
https://www.spectrumtv.com/

For Spectrum Choice you need to log in to https://www.spectrum.net and choose upgrade service.

For it to work:
You cannot already have TV Service.
You must already have Internet Service and a log in.

Otherwise, you need to call or go to a Spectrum Store.
I use the spectrum.net site to handle my account. So I am familiar with it that way. Do I need to login, just to check out the choice features?

What's the difference between Spectrum Stream & Choice?
post #116 of 158 Old 04-24-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use the spectrum.net site to handle my account. So I am familiar with it that way. Do I need to login, just to check out the choice features?

What's the difference between Spectrum Stream & Choice?
From my understanding Choice is the alacarte service. You get your locals plus 10 channels that you choose. With this service you can rent a DVR box if you like, or you can use the app and just stream. This is the service I have, it allows me to rent a cable card to use with a HDhomerun Prime, so I can record straight to my server through Emby.

Stream I believe is like the name says, pure streaming, it is a set amount of channels, I can't remember if it had locals or not. But there was no hardware option available, at the time I looked at it that meant no recording of any kind, it was live TV through the Spectrum app or On Demand.
post #117 of 158 Old 04-24-2019, 11:02 AM

One can record locally through the PlayOn app. I do it all the time but there's no login for YouTubeTV whereas there is one for Spectrum.

post #118 of 158 Old 04-24-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One can record locally through the PlayOn app. I do it all the time but there's no login for YouTubeTV whereas there is one for Spectrum.
Yeah I subbed last month to check it out. It leaves a lot to be desired, low bit rate 720p with only 2 channel audio.

But you are right that is a possibility that is there. You can at least watch the shows, you could also process the commercials out which for me is a huge bonus of local storage.

EDIT## But I have to say, the quality of video Charter puts out after their compression is pretty rough. Sometimes going legit instead of getting stuff through less than legal avenues does not benefit the consumer.

In my testing of encoding the recordings I am getting the blockiness and overall high compression of the untouched recordings is pretty obvious.
Sammy2 likes this.

Last edited by whiteboy714; 04-24-2019 at 12:38 PM.
post #119 of 158 Old 04-24-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I was going to recommend Spectrum Choice for my parents since they have a Roku TV in their main room and Roku boxes everywhere else, but they don't offer Motortrend which is probably 65% of my dad's total viewing. Right now he's experimenting with YouTube TV to see if mom can get used to that UI (she's severely technologically challenged) so we'll see how that goes.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #120 of 158 Old 04-24-2019, 03:21 PM

YTTV interface is one of the best IMHO.. very easy to use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page