Spectrum Choice, what do you think? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #151 of 170 Old 04-26-2019, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I can record all the channels I have on Choice. Including Discovery and FX.

I agree Charter is lacking in the regional sports with streaming. They seem to just want to do a generic package for all.

Man I just looked at select and I don't think there is a channel I care about that I don't have with Choice. Besides PBS Kids for the little one.

But I have the mlbtv package for free so that has me covered for sports right now.
How'd you get mlbtv for free?

I'd like choice or stream plus a sports package and news package.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I believe you can do choice with the Sports add on or Digital tier 1 for $12 which will give you MLB Network, NFL, Golf and much more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 170 Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Anyone have issues with network apps with choice?

I had access to apps like food Network, cooking, etc. (They are black and appear to all be from the same network).

Now even though I am logged in, in the app with spectrum, it says I have no access to the channel.

Spectrum cracking down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #153 of 170 Old 05-07-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Cracking down on what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 170 Old 05-07-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cracking down on what?

Allowing access to apps of channels I don't subscribe to. Up until this last week they worked. Now it says I'm not a subscriber.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #155 of 170 Old 05-07-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Oh.. mine quit working a while ago but somehow Showtime still works in PlayOn?

post #156 of 170 Old 05-07-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh.. mine quit working a while ago but somehow Showtime still works in PlayOn?

It looks like food and cooking stopped working, the others still do. I never used those anyways so no big deal.

You don't have a sub though right? So that would make sense.
post #157 of 170 Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Anyone have issues with network apps with choice?

I had access to apps like food Network, cooking, etc. (They are black and appear to all be from the same network).

Now even though I am logged in, in the app with spectrum, it says I have no access to the channel.

Spectrum cracking down?

Just got into Food network, it did ask to sign in twice. Cooking channel isn't even offered with Choice
post #158 of 170 Old 05-09-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Just got into Food network, it did ask to sign in twice. Cooking channel isn't even offered with Choice

Maybe I need to try signing in. I'm not sure dyi is an option either? Anyways originally all those apps that are black like food Network. They have the same UI. All seemed to work. Regardless of my channel choices.

post #159 of 170 Old 09-11-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So I was checking out Spectrum Choice again. I was trying to decide on which "10" channels would work. How would the channel apps work for this?

One channel I would select is National Geographic. But would I be able watch shows on Nat Geo Wild? Would the Nat Geo app allow this?

How about the whole family of channels? (FOX, FXX, FXM, FXX, Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo, YES)

Is there a listing somewhere I can read about with apps work for which channels? What apps work for multiple channels, etc?
post #160 of 170 Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
So I was checking out Spectrum Choice again. I was trying to decide on which "10" channels would work. How would the channel apps work for this?

One channel I would select is National Geographic. But would I be able watch shows on Nat Geo Wild? Would the Nat Geo app allow this?

How about the whole family of channels? (FOX, FXX, FXM, FXX, Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo, YES)

Is there a listing somewhere I can read about with apps work for which channels? What apps work for multiple channels, etc?
I don't know of any list. It's kind of hit and miss. I noticed that I would sometimes get extra channels (like in the fox app) that I didn't subscribe to. But not always. I would test but I upgraded as the small selection got old.

post #161 of 170 Old 09-12-2019, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
I'm not to keen on using individual channel apps. But I'd like to figure it out somehow. It would be nice to be ahead of the streaming game. lol

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

So what's the difference between Spectrum TV Choice vs Spectrum TV Stream vs Spectrum TV Essentials??

If seen stuff about 10, 25, 60 channels? Is there a side by comparison of each of them somewhere? Channels included, channel selections, costs, apps, etc?

Although I prefer avoiding more Spectrum contact, it's good to know more about your enemy. lol
beerhunt likes this.
post #162 of 170 Old 09-12-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
I'm not to keen on using individual channel apps. But I'd like to figure it out somehow. It would be nice to be ahead of the streaming game. lol

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

So what's the difference between Spectrum TV Choice vs Spectrum TV Stream vs Spectrum TV Essentials??

If seen stuff about 10, 25, 60 channels? Is there a side by comparison of each of them somewhere? Channels included, channel selections, costs, apps, etc?

Although I prefer avoiding more Spectrum contact, it's good to know more about your enemy. lol
My limited knowledge

Choice: Includes locals + 10 channels. Can be used with a cable card or DVR like standard cable.
Stream: Pure streaming through an app
Essentials: ?Pure streaming? with no locals, news, or sports.

That information may not be perfect but that has been the gist of it for me.
Sammy2 likes this.

post #163 of 170 Old 10-23-2019, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just signed up for Spectrum Choice last week after not using their cable for a long time, only internet. I have been using Youtube TV, but I never liked the way their DVR works, displaying dozens of shows from months ago as soon as I log in. Also the guide is very poor. There were always a few channels I couldn't get streaming so I looked into it after a Youtube video I was watching made mention of it. I had forgotten all about it, there's no mention of it when I log on to the NYC Spectrum website. But I did a search and got a listing for the 65 channels and found 10 I wanted, including NY1 (local New York only news and very good), Weather Channel, and TCM which is allowing me to log into Watch TCM which I've never been able to do before to my knowledge.

I was able to sign up over the phone. I also ordered a new cable card to use in my Tivo Roamio, and it came soon after. The only issue I had was when I went on chat a few days later and asked to change 2 of the channels. They were nice about it but when the channels didn't appear it lead to a nightmare of restarting the Tivo, losing all the channels, spending time with at least 6 different reps, getting most of them back but not the new ones, and giving up until today when the new channels finally showed up.

I think it's a good deal if you have a Tivo or some such device, it's only $2 a month for me - I only use the cable card, I have always hated the tuning adapter and don't need it for these channels fortunately. I already had a $41.95 grandfathered internet rate, so I think I am going to be playing about $78 they said. Maybe a little high or maybe it's gone up but I may cancel YTTV if this continues to work for me. I really prefer my Tivo's DVR, let alone its guide.
post #164 of 170 Old 10-25-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Spectrum just increased their rates again, I think this is the 3rd time in the past year.
They increased the local channel fee
They increased the equipment fee
I only use their Internet, it too increased from $66 to $70.
post #165 of 170 Old 10-25-2019, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Talking Spectrum can shove it!

^^^ I got my increased internet only bill via email two days ago and mine equals yours! When my local city owned electric utility gets fiber optic in my neighborhood later in 2020 I am dropping Spectrum and NOT looking back. I dropped their cable 14 months ago for AT&T TV Now (formerly Direct TV Now).
post #166 of 170 Old 12-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I have both spectrum choice and youtube tv ,,,spectrum is def better and offers more...the choice is 25 a month and i have a premium channel package for 15 totalling it at 40 compared to 50 for youtube tv,,,we did a 1 month trial of youtube tv and will be cancelling it and sticking with spectrum choice for now ,,,nobody else offers as much for this amount per month ,,so for now its specttum until it goes up in 3 years then this same package will be 60 but it still will offer more content than youtube tv
tenthplanet likes this.
post #167 of 170 Old 01-14-2020, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Recently went for the Choice Ultra and Internet Plus combo for $115 plus taxes a month compared to $185 plus taxes for Preferred TV (with Variety Pass) plus Extreme Internet with a DVR and 3 DTA's. That's almost $200 for TV and Internet, and I simply couldn't do it anymore. It always seemed especially annoying to be paying for so many channels, since my wife really only watches the one news channel all day, and then maybe we watch some local TV, PBS or Netflix/Amazon Prime in the evenings.

Edit: Oh, and the $115 is good for the next 3 years. Though it's not on a contract I'm held to.

So far the streaming works really well on the Roku boxes we have (current generation Express in the family room, bedroom, and office) but only moderately well on the (new) 24" Sharp Roku TV we have in the exercise room (a bit more buffering and intermittently poor quality picture than I'd like, but I can live with it). Chose my 10 channels as carefully as I could when making the change and just today called back and modified the list before the 30 days to make changes was up (for some reason I couldn't get WGN as one of the choices).

My old billing was supposed to be good until the 25th of this month but yesterday my DTAs all de-authorized and I had to reboot the cable modem. The modem came back but today it crapped out again at around the same time. I'm hoping that doesn't get to be an ongoing issue, since the wife is not technically inclined at all. Sure, I can reboot the modem from work, but I don't want to be getting those calls all the time. Also, my Internet speeds are nowhere near 400mbps - they are more like they always were with Internet Plus (under 100mbps). I'm told that the modem we have is good for 400mbps (though sales told me two weeks ago that I'd be getting a new modem) so I'm not sure what the issues are there, but don't feel like I can address it with Support without being at home.

Does anyone know what happens when I disconnect my physical DVR in favor of cDVR? I do know I have to call yet again for cDVR to be added to the account once I've disconnected the other, and I'm not expecting to have access to any of the programs that were already recorded. Though that would be really nice, especially the more recent recordings we've yet to watch.

Last edited by michaelwalsh; 01-14-2020 at 02:33 PM.
post #168 of 170 Old 01-19-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwalsh View Post
So far the streaming works really well on the Roku boxes we have (current generation Express in the family room, bedroom, and office) but only moderately well on the (new) 24" Sharp Roku TV we have in the exercise room (a bit more buffering and intermittently poor quality picture than I'd like, but I can live with it). Chose my 10 channels as carefully as I could when making the change and just today called back and modified the list before the 30 days to make changes was up (for some reason I couldn't get WGN as one of the choices).

Also, my Internet speeds are nowhere near 400mbps - they are more like they always were with Internet Plus (under 100mbps). I'm told that the modem we have is good for 400mbps (though sales told me two weeks ago that I'd be getting a new modem) so I'm not sure what the issues are there, but don't feel like I can address it with Support without being at home.

Does anyone know what happens when I disconnect my physical DVR in favor of cDVR? I do know I have to call yet again for cDVR to be added to the account once I've disconnected the other, and I'm not expecting to have access to any of the programs that were already recorded. Though that would be really nice, especially the more recent recordings we've yet to watch.

Follow up:

Internet speed and buffering issues appear to be solved with a combination of a new modem and a new router. The old modem/old router combo was giving me around 60mbps and with the new modem speeds improved but seemed to cap out at 90mbps. Then I realized that the old router only had 100mbps LAN ports, so I changed it out for a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 and spent a while trying different Wi-Fi channels to find the cleanest one. I no longer seem to have any buffering issues with two Rokus streaming Spectrum at the same time, and intend trying to have 3 or 4 going at the same time later to see what happens.

Edit: Two Rokus was perfect. Three and I started to get a small amount of buffering in the Spectrum app. Four and the last Roku took quite a bit longer to connect to the network and then failed to load the Spectrum app on the first go. Once I got it up and running though, it seemed OK but with the same buffering as with three going at once. So the ideal number for me seems to be two, with occasional concurrent use of a third being mostly OK.

On the DVR front, as you might have expected, the hard drive in the cable box was still the physical location of program recordings, and so I did lose them. I guess it's just the authorization to access them that comes down the cable? I had theorized that maybe they had migrated recording to the cloud too, but never let on. I guess not.

So now all I have to do is train my missus. She's not very technically inclined, and I've already had grief over making the changes, but I've tried my best for a clean and easy to learn setup by making the Rokus boot with TV power (even though HDMI is connected through AV receivers), only having the 5 apps we use most on the Home screen, and buying Sofabaton Roku remotes, where I've programmed the upper (learning) section to just TV power and Receiver Volume Up/Down/Mute (the receivers are powered on all the time). I do wish the Sofabaton remotes were backlit for easier nighttime use, but they are pretty cool otherwise. Oh, and one thing I don't like about the Spectrum app is that you cannot defeat the 4-hour "Are you still watching?" prompt (which I can assure you is not coming from the Bandwidth Saver setting in the Roku).

So I guess we'll see how it goes, but other than the two slight complaints already mentioned it all seems good. Edit 2: But on my next purchase, I might try Rokus that are 5Ghz capable, at least for the one closest to the router.
beerhunt likes this.

Last edited by michaelwalsh; 01-20-2020 at 09:45 AM.
post #169 of 170 Old 01-22-2020, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Mike ,,,are you sure you have spectrum ultra ? When i got mine a tech had to come out and he installed new spectrum branded equipment ,,they charged me 49.99 on my next bill and im getting 480 for my speeds and i used ookla through my tablet and on my apple 4k tv to comfirm,,,,i run 2 roku ultra boxes i have 2 apple 4k tv boxes,,two 4k tvs we also run 4 smartphones ,,3 tablets,,2 play station 4 pro setups,,now everything is hardwired right from the main router to several splitters from walmart the netgear models using cat 6 cables and i have no issues at all. I must say i prefer watching the spectrum app through the roku ultras its much better and im on the choice package.
post #170 of 170 Old 01-24-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadseven View Post
Mike ,,,are you sure you have spectrum ultra ? When i got mine a tech had to come out and he installed new spectrum branded equipment ,,they charged me 49.99 on my next bill and im getting 480 for my speeds and i used ookla through my tablet and on my apple 4k tv to comfirm,,,,i run 2 roku ultra boxes i have 2 apple 4k tv boxes,,two 4k tvs we also run 4 smartphones ,,3 tablets,,2 play station 4 pro setups,,now everything is hardwired right from the main router to several splitters from walmart the netgear models using cat 6 cables and i have no issues at all. I must say i prefer watching the spectrum app through the roku ultras its much better and im on the choice package.

Yep. I use Ookla too - 480mbps Spectrum to Spectrum from my laptop (on 5Ghz) and 365mbps using the same source/destination servers on my iPhone. After quite a bit of reflection, I have a feeling that my situation is more a reflection of less-than-optimal Wi-Fi at those two TVs than anything else, and I think getting the signal at both from "Good" to "Excellent" would solve the problems. Certainly getting the signal from "Poor" to "Good" improved matters dramatically. But to do better I'd have to relocate my router from the cabinet it's in to a high shelf in the family room, and I'm not worried enough about it to do that (yet).

So while things have been plain sailing from my point-of-view, the wife has been struggling. She really is terrible with technology, and even the relatively straightforward task of selecting the right app once the Roku has booted is proving difficult for her. Bear in mind, this is a woman who will stand in front of the same (brand and model) microwave we've owned for 20 years and still not really know what she's doing. Often randomly pushing buttons in the expectation that eventually it will do want she wants (or something close to it). Fortunately, the Internet brought me to screensaver for Roku called AutoLaunch which, instead of launching a series of pictures or a moving graphic when it kicks in, will open any Roku app. So after a minute of being up and running, the screensaver opens the Spectrum app, and it comes up at the last channel used (which is normally her favorite news channel). But even getting her that far will make life with her more bearable, and we'll deal with "advanced" stuff like how to change channels at a later date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page