Spectrum Choice, what do you think? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 158 Old 03-06-2018, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Spectrum Choice, what do you think?

Spectrum TV Choice
https://www.spectrum.com/choice.html

When I first seen this mentioned on my local news, I was laughing. In my mind I knew Spectrum wasn't going to let the customers pick the channels they wanted.

They let you choose 10 channels from a list of 64. That sounds ok and the selection is fair.

Where they screw you over is with the included channels.

Included: ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, Music Choice (47 channels)

Not everyone wants Music Choice. Who needs 47 of them included? Those other 47 channel selections could be a lot better.

They also have options for premiums & DVR service (STB required)

This service is only available to internet or voice customers. If you already had cable you're SOL.

So has anyone tried this out, or planning to?

This is the closest to A la carte tv we've seen. Maybe they will get it right soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 158 Old 03-07-2018, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
Spectrum TV Choice

When I first seen this mentioned on my local news, I was laughing. In my mind I knew Spectrum wasn't going to let the customers pick the channels they wanted.

They let you choose 10 channels from a list of 64. That sounds ok and the selection is fair.

Not everyone wants Music Choice. Who needs 47 of them included? Those other 47 channel selections could be a lot better.

This service is only available to internet or voice customers. If you already had cable you're SOL.

This is the closest to A la carte tv we've seen. Maybe they will get it right soon.

I tried this out when I was using Spectrum Internet - it does what it claims to do and the PQ was ok. Trying to find something worth $22/month on any combination of those channels is another subject, but the service works as advertised

Room 1 system: Paradigm Reference Active 7.2 system, Anthem AVM50, Oppo BDP-103. Pioneer Elite 610HD. Room 2: Samsung 65HU8550 with SEK3500, Paradigm Monitor 5.1 system, Denon AVR-X2400H, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 4k
post #3 of 158 Old 03-07-2018, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Along with the forced local channels comes carriage fees, I think $6 in my area. I don’t need local channels. Another $20+ for DVR (STB) plus I can’t get the channels I want, this is a non-starter for me. I have DirecTV Now, got it for the free Apple TV, but I almost never use either one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 158 Old 03-08-2018, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
Spectrum TV Choice

I've seen it at work, might be an option for people who don't need a dvr, if they get a cloud dvr they might have something. Locals are good for people with crappy OTA service which in many places is the norm not the exception.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5 of 158 Old 03-08-2018, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I used it for two weeks. Price $28 with tax and fees, like others I didn't need locals. I mainly used it for app access, it was the cheapest way to get Animal planet and History. Really needs a Dvr, way too many commercials on the apps. Looked at making my own Dvr with a Hdhomerun prime by renting a Cable card for $2 a month, might pursue that option down the road. The main draw would be get 5 premium channels for $15 . Went back to PlayStation Vue, much better for $12 more a month.
post #6 of 158 Old 04-26-2018, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I agree that a cloud DVR would make this worth looking into. I'd love to make my Roku the only device hooked up to my system, but for the moment I'm stuck with cable and TiVo.
post #7 of 158 Old 04-26-2018, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I use this service now. If you only watch a handful of cable channels, then I think the service is great. We use Roku to stream it (as it doesn't support Apple TV or Fire TV, both of which I'd prefer). The app works well enough, except for a frame rate inconsistency that I notice from time to time, but only if I look for it. Only the Spectrum app seems to do this for me. Not sure if it's only the Spectrum+Roku that does it or other devices as well.

The real benefit of this service is the access to all the streaming apps of the channels themselves. When you consider the entire streaming catalog of 10 channels of your choice + major network catalogs + 5 premium channel catalogs (optional, but for $15 it's a steal), all available on nearly any device, it's pretty great.
post #8 of 158 Old 04-26-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdumy View Post
I use this service now. If you only watch a handful of cable channels, then I think the service is great. We use Roku to stream it (as it doesn't support Apple TV or Fire TV, both of which I'd prefer). The app works well enough, except for a frame rate inconsistency that I notice from time to time, but only if I look for it. Only the Spectrum app seems to do this for me. Not sure if it's only the Spectrum+Roku that does it or other devices as well.

The real benefit of this service is the access to all the streaming apps of the channels themselves. When you consider the entire streaming catalog of 10 channels of your choice + major network catalogs + 5 premium channel catalogs (optional, but for $15 it's a steal), all available on nearly any device, it's pretty great.
I cancelled 10 weeks ago and still have access to all the Network apps plus the channels I changed when I had the plan
post #9 of 158 Old 04-26-2018, 08:22 AM
ZBF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not 100% related to Spectrum Choice but a good deal anyways. I was shopping around their website and noticed that if you just select internet 100 down at one point you get offered the TV silver package. All in all it comes down to $81.97. That includes HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. I ordered it last week.. Forgot to mention that I already had spectrum but just Internet. They asked me to cancel my account and just open a new one to get the promotion. Also note that if you select this as a tv package it will not work. You have to Internet only and when prompted select new customer. A promotion will then show up to add silver for $29 so the total is $82 including internet 100 down.
post #10 of 158 Old 04-26-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBF View Post
Not 100% related to Spectrum Choice but a good deal anyways. I was shopping around their website and noticed that if you just select internet 100 down at one point you get offered the TV silver package. All in all it comes down to $81.97. That includes HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. I ordered it last week.. Forgot to mention that I already had spectrum but just Internet. They asked me to cancel my account and just open a new one to get the promotion. Also note that if you select this as a tv package it will not work. You have to Internet only and when prompted select new customer. A promotion will then show up to add silver for $29 so the total is $82 including internet 100 down.
Good deal! But I hate these stupid games they play. Huge discounts, but not for current customers and only for limited periods. The whole industry does it and it sucks. Another reason streaming services are more appealing.

If they can give me a package for 1/2 price for 6 months (knowing damn well many people will cancel after the promo), then they give me 30%-40% off permanently and the math probably works out better and with loyal customers who don't leave for better deal in 6 months.

Only reason I signed up for TV choice is that the price is good for 2 full Years and I can exchange my choice of channels any time and as often as I want (within reason). Just as soon as that promo ends, I'm out most likely.

But even this deal was only available to me as an internet-only subscriber. What a jab to current TV subscribers! They could start to turn the whole market toward ala carte if they offered this deal nationwide.
post #11 of 158 Old 04-26-2018, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
I've been thinking of dropping Sling TV in favor of this. Not nearly as many channels as I get with Sling, but I think I can live with ten as long as I get to choose them, and $22/mo. beats the $35/mo. I pay Sling TV now.

Like others I don't need local channels. I have an antenna and a DVR+ for them, and that won't change. They could either knock the price down another few $ or offer more than 10 channels if they didn't include those.

The DVR+ had a Sling TV app, which gave Sling the edge (plus I got a lot of channels for my $35/mo.) but Sling TV is cutting the DVR+ app off as of today. So since I now need to add a Roku anyway, I figure I might as well explore other options. According to the letter I got, I have until May 9 to get the $22/mo. price.

One is that the $22/mo. is for 2 years. That's a pretty good lock-in, but after that "standard rates" apply. Good luck finding Spectrum's "standard" rates anywhere! Not that it would matter, I guess, since I'm sure prices can increase at any time, but it'd be nice to have some idea what I'd be looking at once the 2-year lock-in runs out.
post #12 of 158 Old 04-26-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I've been thinking of dropping Sling TV in favor of this. Not nearly as many channels as I get with Sling, but I think I can live with ten as long as I get to choose them, and $22/mo. beats the $35/mo. I pay Sling TV now.

Like others I don't need local channels. I have an antenna and a DVR+ for them, and that won't change. They could either knock the price down another few $ or offer more than 10 channels if they didn't include those.

The DVR+ had a Sling TV app, which gave Sling the edge (plus I got a lot of channels for my $35/mo.) but Sling TV is cutting the DVR+ app off as of today. So since I now need to add a Roku anyway, I figure I might as well explore other options. According to the letter I got, I have until May 9 to get the $22/mo. price.

One is that the $22/mo. is for 2 years. That's a pretty good lock-in, but after that "standard rates" apply. Good luck finding Spectrum's "standard" rates anywhere! Not that it would matter, I guess, since I'm sure prices can increase at any time, but it'd be nice to have some idea what I'd be looking at once the 2-year lock-in runs out.
I signed up for everything using web chat with Spectrum, and the guy on the other end patiently answered all my questions. I did ask what the "normal" rate was. I think it was roughly double. Two years is a decent price lock though. As good as this industry offers.

It sounds like you have locals handled with OTA, but Spectrum will have those as well with this plan. They are given free on top of the 10 you get to choose. Overall it is actually quite a few channels when you consider 4 local big networks, CW, a few PBS channels, MeTV (where I live) and a few others, all on top of the 10 you get to choose.

And just FYI, if a cable DVR is your thing, you can add the Spectrum DVR (which essentially just becomes cable service then) for $20/mo additional. Even better, if you have a cable card DVR (Tivo, etc.) then it's just $3/mo for the card. I did consider a Tivo to add normal DVR function, but $200 seems pricey for one of those. I'll wait for a sale or a used one maybe. Anyone have a Tivo bolt they want to sell?
post #13 of 158 Old 04-27-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did ask what the "normal" rate was. I think it was roughly double.
That may be a little high, but it's not an unreasonable price. It would put it somewhat more than Sling but in the same ballpark as PS Vue and DirecTV Now.
Quote:
Two years is a decent price lock though. As good as this industry offers.
Agreed. I just don't like the "coyness" of these offers. I like to know what I'll be looking at even if it's two years down the road. You have to figure price increases will affect all competitors similarly.
Quote:
It sounds like you have locals handled with OTA....
True. For me this is just to fill in the gap left by dropping Dish (as was Sling), but even with Dish I still had OTA. Not only is the PQ better but it gives me a way around the spats that break out periodically between mommy & daddy; I mean, between Dish and (fill in major network; last one was CBS).
post #14 of 158 Old 05-04-2018, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
I used it for two weeks. Price $28 with tax and fees, like others I didn't need locals. I mainly used it for app access, it was the cheapest way to get Animal planet and History. Really needs a Dvr, way too many commercials on the apps. Looked at making my own Dvr with a Hdhomerun prime by renting a Cable card for $2 a month, might pursue that option down the road. The main draw would be get 5 premium channels for $15 . Went back to PlayStation Vue, much better for $12 more a month.
A couple questions for you or anyone else.

What apps did you get access to? Local networks like CBS? Sports also like ESPN? All that you subscribed to?

Can you use a cablecard and HDhomerun with the streaming service? I thought it was through an app. I have an HDHR lying around somewhere...
post #15 of 158 Old 05-05-2018, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I signed up for everything using web chat with Spectrum, and the guy on the other end patiently answered all my questions. I did ask what the "normal" rate was. I think it was roughly double. Two years is a decent price lock though. As good as this industry offers.

It sounds like you have locals handled with OTA, but Spectrum will have those as well with this plan. They are given free on top of the 10 you get to choose. Overall it is actually quite a few channels when you consider 4 local big networks, CW, a few PBS channels, MeTV (where I live) and a few others, all on top of the 10 you get to choose.

And just FYI, if a cable DVR is your thing, you can add the Spectrum DVR (which essentially just becomes cable service then) for $20/mo additional. Even better, if you have a cable card DVR (Tivo, etc.) then it's just $3/mo for the card. I did consider a Tivo to add normal DVR function, but $200 seems pricey for one of those. I'll wait for a sale or a used one maybe. Anyone have a Tivo bolt they want to sell?
Just watch Amazon the prices fluctuate, I'm keeping my Bolt sorry.

post #16 of 158 Old 05-07-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

What apps did you get access to? Local networks like CBS? Sports also like ESPN? All that you subscribed to?

Can you use a cablecard and HDhomerun with the streaming service? I thought it was through an app. I have an HDHR lying around somewhere...
Anyone got any info on this?
post #17 of 158 Old 05-09-2018, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
So does anyone know of the top of their heads what actual devices the Spectrum app works on?

I saw up above someone said it works with Roku, any others?

Media Room= GoldenEar Supersat 60s/GE 60c/BP7004s/SuperCubeII/A-60s/Pio-SC-95
post #18 of 158 Old 05-09-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmorgan23 View Post
So does anyone know of the top of their heads what actual devices the Spectrum app works on?

I saw up above someone said it works with Roku, any others?
This is from their site.

Or did you mean "actually works" as in performs well?

gtmorgan23 likes this.
post #19 of 158 Old 05-09-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My understanding is that it will also work with any CableCard device, (HDHR Prime, TiVo, etc.) although you would use those with the traditional cable feed, not the Internet service.

Found the following "fine print" at their web site:
Quote:
Charter-authorized modem is required to stream on Roku, Xbox One and Samsung Smart TV.
What does that mean? I use an Arris modem with my Spectrum Internet service; does that make it "Charter-authorized?"

Edit: BTW I noticed that every TV Choice offer I've gotten in the mail has a different phone number to call! The offer's expiration date may be tied to the phone number, so if you have multiple offers, I'd be sure to call a number associated with an offer that hasn't expired yet. Otherwise Spectrum may sign you up at "standard rates"

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-09-2018 at 06:42 PM.
post #20 of 158 Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
My understanding is that it will also work with any CableCard device, (HDHR Prime, TiVo, etc.) although you would use those with the traditional cable feed, not the Internet service.

Found the following "fine print" at their web site:What does that mean? I use an Arris modem with my Spectrum Internet service; does that make it "Charter-authorized?"

Edit: BTW I noticed that every TV Choice offer I've gotten in the mail has a different phone number to call! The offer's expiration date may be tied to the phone number, so if you have multiple offers, I'd be sure to call a number associated with an offer that hasn't expired yet. Otherwise Spectrum may sign you up at "standard rates"

So what your saying is they would give you these channels but it would not actually be streaming it would be done through the cable line?

That seems defeating of their service but I guess would make sense. I know when you go online to subscribe to the steaming service you have the option of getting an STB as well.

I'll have to ask them when they come install my internet. But finding a tech that is knowledgeable about cable card is harder than finding a unicorn.
post #21 of 158 Old 05-10-2018, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So what your saying is they would give you these channels but it would not actually be streaming it would be done through the cable line?

That seems defeating of their service but I guess would make sense. I know when you go online to subscribe to the steaming service you have the option of getting an STB as well.

I'll have to ask them when they come install my internet. But finding a tech that is knowledgeable about cable card is harder than finding a unicorn.
I just have the internet service from them, and you have to have the cable line for it (coax cable) from what I found out you only need an stb if you want to record, otherwise it's real time streaming. Depending on what channels you choose you should be able to activate TV Everywhere apps for given channels.
They also have a website this. www.spectrum.com/choice.

post #22 of 158 Old 05-10-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
This is from their site.

Or did you mean "actually works" as in performs well?

Be careful, yes they support android, Apple, and Amazon devices. But not Apple tv, Android TV or fire tv. Samsung smart TV, Xbox, and roku are the only 10 foot options I think.

I bought 2 roku ultras just for the purpose of spectrum because my android TV and no other streaming devices worked. Xbox is ok, but overkill compared to a simple remote like streamers have.
post #23 of 158 Old 05-10-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Yes, the low price option is streaming only. But for the rental cost and dvr fee added, you can have the same select channels available through traditional cable service.

Pretty cool how spectrum is flexible with this service. It's an advantage they have over other OTT services that they can leverage the cable line into your house as a spectrum internet customer.
post #24 of 158 Old 05-11-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post

Cbs doesn't have app access, the rest do.
I asked about renting a cable card its $2 a month plus now you need a switched digital adapter on some channels or they have DRM protection. So I can't answer about the Hdhomerun prime. Still getting all app acces after canceling 4 months ago including premium
post #25 of 158 Old 05-11-2018, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
I signed up for everything using web chat with Spectrum, and the guy on the other end patiently answered all my questions.

I can't believe that is their normal mode of operation! I just followed the link in the e-mail offer, but ended up on "Chat" when I couldn't figure out how to sign up and pick the ten channels. The guy told me he could activate it if I would just "tell" him the ten channels I wanted. I thought he was joking or just an idiot that he couldn't give me a website link to do it myself. I told him to forget it if that was the level of competence Spectrum has invested in this "offer".

My goal was to have the least expensive service to include locals and about a dozen cable channels with good picture quality and DVR so I can drop DirecTV. So far I've tried YoutubeTV and PlaystationVue and their picture quality is VERY soft even though my Netflix and Hulu look pretty good. And Spectrum was a failure even at signing up. Any other suggestions, anyone ? Sling doesn't even offer the channels I want.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #26 of 158 Old 05-12-2018, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I can't believe that is their normal mode of operation! I just followed the link in the e-mail offer, but ended up on "Chat" when I couldn't figure out how to sign up and pick the ten channels. The guy told me he could activate it if I would just "tell" him the ten channels I wanted. I thought he was joking or just an idiot that he couldn't give me a website link to do it myself. I told him to forget it if that was the level of competence Spectrum has invested in this "offer".

My goal was to have the least expensive service to include locals and about a dozen cable channels with good picture quality and DVR so I can drop DirecTV. So far I've tried YoutubeTV and PlaystationVue and their picture quality is VERY soft even though my Netflix and Hulu look pretty good. And Spectrum was a failure even at signing up. Any other suggestions, anyone ? Sling doesn't even offer the channels I want.
For locals, you can try an antenna, it's not cheap for providers to provide locals because of escalating Retrans fees. For the rest, have you checked into Philo?

https://try.philo.com/

Last edited by Primestar31; 05-12-2018 at 05:39 AM.
post #27 of 158 Old 05-12-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
For locals, you can try an antenna, it's not cheap for providers to provide locals because of escalating Retrans fees. For the rest, have you checked into Philo?

I was hoping to limit the number of devices to just Roku and OTA locals would require another device to DVR shows.

Thanks for the Philo link, but they do not include the national news channels that I want. They don't even include FX or SyFy or TNT which all other comparable priced packages do.

I really don't understand why the locals expect retrans fees when they are free OTA -- they should be happy their advertisers are reaching more homes. They have gotten away with it when their charges could be buried within cable and satellite package prices, but cord cutting is exposing that now.

Kirk Ellis
post #28 of 158 Old 05-12-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:

I know there was a site where I could sign up directly myself. I just had so many questions that I preferred the chat. And I think the chat people get bonus for sign-ups, so they push it. But I'm certain I could do it myself without chat.
post #29 of 158 Old 05-13-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post

I went ahead with Hulu Live TV. The image quality on the live TV channels is notably better than PSVue and YouTubeTV. The interface is easier to use as well. And because I already used Hulu, adding the Live TV portion only added $31/mo.

Kirk Ellis
post #30 of 158 Old 05-13-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I went ahead with Hulu Live TV. The image quality on the live TV channels is notably better than PSVue and YouTubeTV. The interface is easier to use as well. And because I already used Hulu, adding the Live TV portion only added $31/mo.
Good choice, if the service has the channels you want and you're already using regular Hulu it's worth a try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page