Official Cambridge CXN & AZUR 851N Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 01-07-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Official Cambridge CXN & AZUR 851N Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwys1960 View Post
Hi

Can ask, did you fine much of a difference between the SM6 and 851n when it was in service?

Both sound gorgeous. I think the SM6 is a bit warmer, more “compatible” sound - say for music lovers.

The 851 is more revealing and honest - say for audiophiles. Build quality is very high - world class even.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 01-09-2019, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi

been reading this thread and have some questions. I was using an old Denon DVD-A1 using Burr Brown PCM1704 DACs as my DAC which fed into my integrated amp (Myryad, running Dynaudio Audience speakers).

The Denon is dead, unfortunately. And I am taking this opportunity to add a network player. The role would be two fold - act as a network player plus as a DAC as well (I intend to route my TV through the DAC using optical and then into amp/speakers for watching movies).

Some questions for you knowledgeable folks

1. How much better is the performance of the 851n over the CXN V2? For me the CXN is half the price of the 851 and I don't want to spend money if not needed. I personally feel I wont be able to tell much in my setup given it's basic level

2. I am confused by someone who said that you would need to use the balanced output to bring the DAC into the picture. Why would that be the case? If I am throwing digital signals (whether Spotify or my TV) at the CXN, wouldn't the DAC HAVE to come in before outputting analog? If I intend to use this as a pre-amp, I could do that right?

3. Is the BT-100 adaptor any use?

Any other products you folks think I should look at?

Budget is ~1k USD.

thank you
Puneet
post #33 of 47 Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

puneets0901

1. My comments above about the SM6 (vs. 851N) apply to the CXN. The DACs have not changed with the v2.

2. Yes you can absolutely use RCA (vs. XLR).

3. BT is substandard and not needed if all your devices are on he same wifi network.

The CXN v2 is still a currently supported product and within your price range.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
puneets0901

1. My comments above about the SM6 (vs. 851N) apply to the CXN. The DACs have not changed with the v2.

3. BT is substandard and not needed if all your devices are on he same wifi network.

Thank you very much. You just solved a 4 week long riddle for me!
post #35 of 47 Old 01-27-2019, 09:50 AM

Liked: 1
SM6 CXN Lumin D1 Linn Majek DS

Just bought a 851n to replace the Lumin D1 (£1895) As I needed more inputs for demo's
We have had the SM6 replaced by a very dull Linn Majek DS and then bought the CXN when they were very first launched.
The CXN was almost as good as the Lumin, but this 851n is superb. Build quality is stunning its heavy and everything just feels nice.

Sound quality is superb imaging is big and the space around instruments is very good. I have to say its one best bit of kit I've bought.

Next up we use Sparkos discrete Voltage regulators in our products so when I get time its lid off and change them. Might see if we can upgrade the op amps also to discrete ones, should sound awesome.
But in the mean time I will enjoy.
AVfile likes this.
post #36 of 47 Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
puneets0901

Hello Sir...trying to decide if I buy an 851N or not...my question is: Is there a decent control app like say Roon for the 851? What do IOS users use? I’d like to create playlists etc from my Nas using my iPad as the control unit for the 851?

Thanks

Sony 85900F
Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b
Dual JL Audio D110
Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Triple black velvet bat cave
post #37 of 47 Old 04-12-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Hello Sir...trying to decide if I buy an 851N or not...my question is: Is there a decent control app like say Roon for the 851? What do IOS users use? I’d like to create playlists etc from my Nas using my iPad as the control unit for the 851?

Thanks

The CA Connect app is the worst thing about it. Check the reviews on the App Store (I just submitted one). It’s fine for casual use but the streamer doesn’t keep anything in memory when you turn it off. So I don’t think it will recall your playlist.
asharma likes this.

post #38 of 47 Old 04-12-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
The CA Connect app is the worst thing about it. Check the reviews on the App Store (I just submitted one). It’s fine for casual use but the streamer doesn’t keep anything in memory when you turn it off. So I don’t think it will recall your playlist.
Thanks, it sounds to me like they really need to somehow integrate a Roon type functionality...I find it hard to believe there is nothing more substantial as an interface into the unit then their clunky control app...thanks again...

Sony 85900F
Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b
Dual JL Audio D110
Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Triple black velvet bat cave
post #39 of 47 Old 04-14-2019, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Thanks, it sounds to me like they really need to somehow integrate a Roon type functionality...I find it hard to believe there is nothing more substantial as an interface into the unit then their clunky control app...thanks again...
I agree the app is the weakest link but the sound of the unit is phenomenal. Hopefully one day the app will become better or there will be a third party solution
asharma likes this.

Marantz AV8805, Parasound Halo a21, (2)Parasound 2250, Parasound 275, Panamax 5400PM
Klipsch Epic CF3 V1, KV 4, (4) RP250S,(2)RP140S (2)CDT5650
LG Oled 65C8,Oppo 205, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic w/Music Hall speed Control
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Harmony Ultimate
post #40 of 47 Old 04-14-2019, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi,

Purchase recently the 851N, connected it by RCA to my Arcam AVR-550, the sound is really amazing, 3D and really great detail.

But... my ears seems to fatigue rapidly..
Then, i tried to connect the 851N with a digital cable to my Arcam, the sound is less detail, a little different but very good, and i don’t have fatigue like the other way..

So, do i loose all the benefit of the Cambridge by digital? if i understand, i use the DAC of the Arcam?

Finally, i useTidal hifi and i airplay, will i lost the high resolution if the unit is connected by digital?

Thanks

Projector: JVC DLA-X770R | Screen: Stewart Filmscreen Cima Neve 2.35:1 125’’ Bluray: Oppo BDP-203 | Receiver: Arcam FMJ AVR-550
Speakers: Totem Forest (front) | Model 1 Signature (center) | Rainmaker (surround) | Mini Kin Flex (Atmos) Subwoofer: Funk Audio 18.0C
Light Control: Lutron Maestro | Remote: Harmony Elite
post #41 of 47 Old 04-15-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampat View Post
Hi,

Purchase recently the 851N, connected it by RCA to my Arcam AVR-550, the sound is really amazing, 3D and really great detail.

But... my ears seems to fatigue rapidly..
Then, i tried to connect the 851N with a digital cable to my Arcam, the sound is less detail, a little different but very good, and i don’t have fatigue like the other way..

So, do i loose all the benefit of the Cambridge by digital? if i understand, i use the DAC of the Arcam?

Finally, i useTidal hifi and i airplay, will i lost the high resolution if the unit is connected by digital?

Thanks

Sort of. You are using the Cirrus CS42528 “audiophile DAC” in the ARCAM instead of the Cambridge DAC and analog output stage. You are still using the Cambridge streaming engine which does a good job converting streaming formats to linear PCM (max 16-bit unless you are playing 24-bit files directly off a drive).

Don’t forget the Cambridge can be set to fixed output level bypassing the digital volume control.

When you use the analog connection are all settings in the Arcam including DIRAC room EQ being applied the same? If using an “analog direct” mode in one case and not the other it is not a straight comparison.

Airplay is lossless but maxes out at 16/44k. If you have high-res files the Cambridge can play them directly off a USB or network drive and output 24/96k or 192k PCM without downsampling. To play DSD files you need to use analog.

Last edited by AVfile; 04-15-2019 at 08:34 AM.
post #42 of 47 Old 04-15-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Sort of. You are using the Cirrus CS42528 “audiophile DAC” in the ARCAM instead of the Cambridge DAC and analog output stage. You are still using the Cambridge streaming engine which does a good job converting streaming formats to linear PCM (max 16-bit unless you are playing 24-bit files directly off a drive).

Don’t forget the Cambridge can be set to fixed output level bypassing the digital volume control.

When you use the analog connection are all settings in the Arcam including DIRAC room EQ being applied the same? If using an “analog direct” mode in one case and not the other it is not a straight comparison.

Airplay is lossless but maxes out at 16/44k. If you have high-res files the Cambridge can play them directly off a USB or network drive and output 24/96k or 192k PCM without downsampling. To play DSD files you need to use analog.
For the paramaters, i think it is the same for the analog and digital, Dirac is OFF for now, only EQ for movies for the moment.

If i play High Resolution music from Tidal Master by airplay from my IPhone, I only obtain 16/44K?

I tried with the Cambridge apps and only 16/44K appear...

Projector: JVC DLA-X770R | Screen: Stewart Filmscreen Cima Neve 2.35:1 125’’ Bluray: Oppo BDP-203 | Receiver: Arcam FMJ AVR-550
Speakers: Totem Forest (front) | Model 1 Signature (center) | Rainmaker (surround) | Mini Kin Flex (Atmos) Subwoofer: Funk Audio 18.0C
post #43 of 47 Old 04-15-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That’s correct. Cambridge doesn’t do MQA so you won’t get anything higher than 16/44 from Tidal with the app/native streamer. Using Airplay from your device to the Cambridge is a roundabout way, no help and may result in worse sound!

You can connect a PC/MAC running Tidal desktop via USB to input D5 and do a partial/software MQA decode to feed the Cambridge 24/96 (but not supposed to be as good as a hardware MQA DAC).

Last edited by AVfile; 04-15-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #44 of 47 Old 04-16-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
That’s correct. Cambridge doesn’t do MQA so you won’t get anything higher than 16/44 from Tidal with the app/native streamer. Using Airplay from your device to the Cambridge is a roundabout way, no help and may result in worse sound!

You can connect a PC/MAC running Tidal desktop via USB to input D5 and do a partial/software MQA decode to feed the Cambridge 24/96 (but not supposed to be as good as a hardware MQA DAC).
Ok thanks!

Do you think another Streamer, say the Arcal rPlay would give equivalent quality vs the cambridge as i use the Dac in the Arcam AVR-550?

I'm Under the impression the Cambridge is maybee too much and overkill?

But i really like what I ear now connected by Digital to my Arcam...

post #45 of 47 Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Probably. If I was buying now I would probably get a Bluesound Node 2i or Simaudio Mind 2.

post #46 of 47 Old 06-11-2019, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Cambridge Audio Azur 851n

Is this a good unit? I like it because it’s a Dac, PreAmp & streams. Is the DAC a good one? Any opinions on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #47 of 47 Old 06-12-2019, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBear71 View Post
Is this a good unit? I like it because it’s a Dac, PreAmp & streams. Is the DAC a good one? Any opinions on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been very happy with the unit and are using it paired with a Marantz av8805. Much better sounding compared to my last streaming set up which was a squeezebox and better then Heos which I have in the Marantz and use in my vintage 2 channel system.. The app isn’t the greatest but the sound is fantastic.

Marantz AV8805, Parasound Halo a21, (2)Parasound 2250, Parasound 275, Panamax 5400PM
Klipsch Epic CF3 V1, KV 4, (4) RP250S,(2)RP140S (2)CDT5650
LG Oled 65C8,Oppo 205, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic w/Music Hall speed Control
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Harmony Ultimate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page