Best Media Streamer for 4K and Dolby Atmos content - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By confinoj
  • 1 Post By georgeorwell

post #1 of 25 Old 04-15-2018, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Best Media Streamer for 4K and Dolby Atmos content

Hi, all.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. Search results are all over the place on this topic.

I was holding out for the KODI UWP app for XBOX, so I could play local Dolby Atmos content in addition to stream 4K/Atmos content from VUDU, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like KODI will do this anytime soon on XBOX, so I'm wondering what the best budget device is for this:
- 4K video with Dolby Vision/HDR
- High-Def audio including Dolby Atmos
- Closed Caption support
- Ability to run KODI, VUDU, Netflix, Prime Video with above
- MKV container support
- Wired Ethernet (to ensure smooth streaming of local content)

From what I can tell the Windows builds of these are more likely to support all the requirements. So, do I really need a mini-PC that runs Windows 10? If so, which ones (at lowest cost)? It appears Android media players are not so good for my requirements. Correct?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-19-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I can't think of anything that checks all of those boxes other than the NVidia Shield TV. It's also a capable Plex Server if you have other client devices elsewhere in the house that can take advantage.

If you can use something like Infuse instead of Kodi, the AppleTV 4K should do everything else on your list.

If you're looking for ATMOS support from Netflix, you're currently stuck with either an LG OLED Smart TV or XBox One/S/X.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #3 of 25 Old 04-19-2018, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I don't think the device you're looking for exists. The Nvidia Shield is the closest thing, but it doesn't support Dolby Vision. And like Stephen Hopkins said, Atmos support in Netflix is limited to a couple devices. Moreover the only devices that support Dolby Vision are the Apple TV, the chromecast ultra, and some blu-ray players and TVs.

Generally speaking, if you want the best all around streamer that supports Dolby Vision (but doesn't support Atmos), choose the Apple TV. If you want the best all around streamer that supports Atmos (but doesn't support Dolby Vision), go with the Shield. I have recently switched from a Shield to an Apple TV 4K and have been very happy. I do not have an Atmos setup though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 04-24-2018, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

I would have thought getting a Win10 mini-PC with an HDMI 2.0 port would work. No?

Netflix, etc. don't support Atmos and Dolby Vision on Win10?
post #5 of 25 Old 04-24-2018, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fganter View Post
I would have thought getting a Win10 mini-PC with an HDMI 2.0 port would work. No?

Netflix, etc. don't support Atmos and Dolby Vision on Win10?
If you want to use streaming services on a 10 foot interface, then I would strongly advise against an HTPC. Many apps are not designed to be used with a remote, and in many cases the highest quality audio and video streams are not available on a PC.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-26-2018, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
If you want to use streaming services on a 10 foot interface, then I would strongly advise against an HTPC. Many apps are not designed to be used with a remote, and in many cases the highest quality audio and video streams are not available on a PC.
"10 foot interface"?

"highest quality audio and video" - You're saying 4K with Atmos streams for Netflix, etc. are generally not available on PC?

If only they could get HD audio working on KODI for XBOX - I'd be set!
post #7 of 25 Old 04-26-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 4960
Funny you ask this as I was looking for the same thing since I recently bougth a Vizio P65-E1 with Dolby Vision and HDR. I resolved to pick up an Xbox One S when it's on sale because that and the X are the only devices that give you the whole gamut of features right now.

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #8 of 25 Old 04-26-2018, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

I just noticed a new Dolby Atmos bitstream setting on XBOX that may help. I'm still trying to figure out if its really sending the Atmos track...
post #9 of 25 Old 04-27-2018, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
"10 foot interface"?

"highest quality audio and video" - You're saying 4K with Atmos streams for Netflix, etc. are generally not available on PC?

If only they could get HD audio working on KODI for XBOX - I'd be set!
It depends on the streaming service. For instance I believe you can get HDR Netflix via the Official windows app, but getting everything to work requires specific hardware, and it’s not designed to be used with a remote. Definitely not worth it IMO unless you want a lot of headaches.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-27-2018, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Funny you ask this as I was looking for the same thing since I recently bougth a Vizio P65-E1 with Dolby Vision and HDR. I resolved to pick up an Xbox One S when it's on sale because that and the X are the only devices that give you the whole gamut of features right now.
Not bad choices but the Xbox’s don’t support Dolby Vision.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-27-2018, 06:47 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8967 Post(s)
Liked: 5747
Quote:
Hi, all.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. Search results are all over the place on this topic.

I was holding out for the KODI UWP app for XBOX, so I could play local Dolby Atmos content in addition to stream 4K/Atmos content from VUDU, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like KODI will do this anytime soon on XBOX, so I'm wondering what the best budget device is for this:
- 4K video with Dolby Vision/HDR
- High-Def audio including Dolby Atmos
- Closed Caption support
- Ability to run KODI, VUDU, Netflix, Prime Video with above
- MKV container support
- Wired Ethernet (to ensure smooth streaming of local content)

From what I can tell the Windows builds of these are more likely to support all the requirements. So, do I really need a mini-PC that runs Windows 10? If so, which ones (at lowest cost)? It appears Android media players are not so good for my requirements. Correct?

Thanks for your help.
And wireless works great if the device is capable of fast speeds over wireless AC. I use several devices with wireless since I can get around 140Mb/s throughput. And is much better than using their slower wired 100 Mb/s EThernet port.

For a wired connection, ideally you want to have a Gigabit Ethernet port. Which the Shield and ATV do have.

Just recently I started playing back my UHD BD ISO rips and UHD BD MKV rips on my SHield TV. It seems to do a good job with them. And my ATV 4K played back those UHD BD MKV rips fine too. But of course the ATV 4K cannot Bitstream. So you only have PCM audio and no Atmos or DTS:X. I haven't tried any of my UHD BD ISOs on my ATV 4K yet, so I'm not sure it plays them.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #12 of 25 Old 05-31-2018, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is there any device available that can support both Dolby vision and atmos? I did a lot of research, but couldnt find any :-(. I think its available on some LG TV apps but can i throw sound through an AVR if i use the TV apps?
post #13 of 25 Old 05-31-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
There is no box right now that checks all the boxes that you and many of us want. I'm sure there will be at some point but we are just not there yet. I use multiple sources to get what I want including a Shield, ATV 4K, LG OLED C7P built in apps, Oppo 203. Individually each of those has some limitation as mostly mentioned above. Suboptimal but the current state of affairs.
yanksno1 likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #14 of 25 Old 06-27-2018, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is just nuts:

I have a LG 65"4K UHD OLED TV MODEL 65E7V which apparently will not pass through Atmos via the ARC
I have a HTPC with MSI GT1030 GPU and the right certified HDMI cables but the Atmos for Windows 10 home theatre app will not install and bitstream does not seem to pass Atmos on Plex, Kodi, JRiver, VLC etc etc
Amp is a Denon AVR-X6300H with 7.2.4 speaker setup in place.. but..
I've never seen the word Atmos appear on my amp, which after all my efforts is... Very Disappointing, to say the least
Don't get me wrong it looks and sounds really good and I have seen other things like TrueHD and/or DTS but why do I need to buy another bleedin box to get Atmos?? What has Shield got that my HTPC doesn't?
BTW I read somewhere that the Chromecast Ultra does both Atmos and Dolby Vision but it sounds like a faff.... Anyone got this?
post #15 of 25 Old 06-27-2018, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And is much better than using their slower wired 100 Mb/s EThernet port.
This is rarely, if ever, the case. Switched Ethernet isn't shared with any other devices and isn't impacted by many of the forms of interference that can perturb Wi-fi. Latency is lower as well.
Quote:
For a wired connection, ideally you want to have a Gigabit Ethernet port. Which the Shield and ATV do have.
This doesn't make much sense in theory (and probably in practice). Even if you're only getting 60Mbps throughput (and let's not forget that switched Ethernet is bi-directional) out of your Fast Ethernet, that's still fast enough to accommodate pretty much anything that modern media equipment can dish out.

For a media server (as the Shield may be employed), Gigabit may be desirable but for an STB, it really isn't necessary.
post #16 of 25 Old 06-27-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh View Post
This is rarely, if ever, the case. Switched Ethernet isn't shared with any other devices and isn't impacted by many of the forms of interference that can perturb Wi-fi. Latency is lower as well.This doesn't make much sense in theory (and probably in practice). Even if you're only getting 60Mbps throughput (and let's not forget that switched Ethernet is bi-directional) out of your Fast Ethernet, that's still fast enough to accommodate pretty much anything that modern media equipment can dish out.

For a media server (as the Shield may be employed), Gigabit may be desirable but for an STB, it really isn't necessary.
My 3:10 to Yuma UHD rip has an average bitrate of 86 mbps. I think a 100 mbps connection is cutting it a little close these days, especially considering UHD rips can in theory go to 128 mbps.
post #17 of 25 Old 06-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinmuktesh83 View Post
Is there any device available that can support both Dolby vision and atmos? I did a lot of research, but couldnt find any :-(. I think its available on some LG TV apps but can i throw sound through an AVR if i use the TV apps?
Hi, old news now but the ATV 4K is now on beta with ATMOS, and has been doing DV.
Mark

System
Spoiler!
post #18 of 25 Old 06-27-2018, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Hi, old news now but the ATV 4K is now on beta with ATMOS, and has been doing DV.
Mark
But a big unknown is if it will ever be able to handle local content with Atmos. I'm on the beta...and a hoping!
markmanner likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old 06-27-2018, 03:57 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh View Post
This is rarely, if ever, the case. Switched Ethernet isn't shared with any other devices and isn't impacted by many of the forms of interference that can perturb Wi-fi. Latency is lower as well.This doesn't make much sense in theory (and probably in practice). Even if you're only getting 60Mbps throughput (and let's not forget that switched Ethernet is bi-directional) out of your Fast Ethernet, that's still fast enough to accommodate pretty much anything that modern media equipment can dish out.

Using wireless AC is much better with my devices that have a 100BT ethernet port. Since I can get much faster speeds over wireless than the wired port is capable of. For instance my ROku Ultra. Using wireless I can get around 140Mb/s throughput. And can easily stream my high bitrate UHD videos. But if I tried the same thing over the wired 100Mb/s connection, it is a buffering stuttering mess. Since the bitrates are over 100Mb/s for the UHD files I'm talking about. The same goes for my Sony X800 UHD BD player. I only use the wireless AC connection since that is the only way to reliably play my high bitrate UHD files. It's 100Mb/s EThernet port doesn't cut it with those high bitrate files.

Of course with all the streaming services that use low bitrates, there aren't issues over the wired connection since the bitrates are so low for their UHD content.

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-27-2018 at 04:01 PM.
post #20 of 25 Old 07-01-2018, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 28
so what is best Streamer to get for Dolby Vision and Atmos?
post #21 of 25 Old 07-01-2018, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otranto300 View Post
so what is best Streamer to get for Dolby Vision and Atmos?
The only streamers that support DV are the chromecast ultra and Apple TV 4K. Atmos is in beta on the Apple TV 4K. Atmos support on the chromecast ultra seems kind of limited; for instance I don’t think it works with Netflix.
post #22 of 25 Old 07-02-2018, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
The only streamers that support DV are the chromecast ultra and Apple TV 4K. Atmos is in beta on the Apple TV 4K. Atmos support on the chromecast ultra seems kind of limited; for instance I don’t think it works with Netflix.
thanks.....I picked up apple TV 4K. I like it so far. I don't think there's much atmos content online anyway.
post #23 of 25 Old 07-02-2018, 12:11 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by otranto300 View Post
thanks.....I picked up apple TV 4K. I like it so far. I don't think there's much atmos content online anyway.
No not alot. But for me, most of the content I've watched this year from Netflix has Atmos audio. So I've needed to use my Xbox to access the Atmos audio.

I've watched around fifty hours of Netflix Atmos content this year.

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-02-2018 at 12:32 PM.
post #24 of 25 Old 07-05-2018, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Chromecast Ultra will do both Atmos and Dolby Vision, IIRC... The one built into my Vizio P Series does.
post #25 of 25 Old 12-09-2018, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwales View Post
This is just nuts:

I have a LG 65"4K UHD OLED TV MODEL 65E7V which apparently will not pass through Atmos via the ARC
I have a HTPC with MSI GT1030 GPU and the right certified HDMI cables but the Atmos for Windows 10 home theatre app will not install and bitstream does not seem to pass Atmos on Plex, Kodi, JRiver, VLC etc etc
Amp is a Denon AVR-X6300H with 7.2.4 speaker setup in place.. but..
I've never seen the word Atmos appear on my amp, which after all my efforts is... Very Disappointing, to say the least
Don't get me wrong it looks and sounds really good and I have seen other things like TrueHD and/or DTS but why do I need to buy another bleedin box to get Atmos?? What has Shield got that my HTPC doesn't?
BTW I read somewhere that the Chromecast Ultra does both Atmos and Dolby Vision but it sounds like a faff.... Anyone got this?
This is nuts!
So my setup: OLED 55 B6p which is my first problem... no support for Atmos via apps
Denon X6300H 7.1.2.....I have never seen Atmos on this unit nor could I ever see 3D Auro which you should be
able to see when cheating the setup (confirmed by Denon support).
He is something interesting. I bought and tried an Athem MRX 1120 that was able to take a DD+ signal and with a setting on receiver it would up convert and display atmos on display. I also had Atmos on display from VUDU app movie from Sony x700 UHD BRP which was DV and Atmos. I also saw a Marantz do the same from Netflix app on LG OLED...take a DD+ signal and display DD+/Atmos on display.

I was looking at a new OLED65C8P! My local AV dealer said that if I purchased a 2017 or newer LG OLED TV or 2018 Sony Brava using NETFLIX tv app that in theory with ARC I should be able to have Atmos playing on my Denon x6300. It sounds like you have this setup and it doesn't work. Another thing the AV dealer said was they never like, rely on the ARC. They recommend another source such as Oppo, Apple TV! This whole ATMOS, DV standards, devices, lossless blah blah blah is crap!

BTW I returned the Anthem MRX 1120 which I paid $2699 for with no tax! Yes it was a great deal but I didn't see much difference in sound from my 10 year old Pioneer Elite AVR.
I then purchased a Denon X6300H brand new for $1124, no tax and free shipping! Update firmware to include 3D Auro and eARC! But still no Atmos yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdmi 2.0 , hdr , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page