4K UHD Network Media Player List - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

post #1 of 201 Old 05-29-2018, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 417
4K UHD Network Media Player List

I started researching 4K UHD network media playback devices (both dedicated devices and players with network capabilities) last month, and it became confusing quickly.

For my own edification / sanity, I started tracking certain parameters / capabilities of the devices in a spreadsheet. Since I put a lot of work into the document, I thought I would share, and see if there is interest, or if it is worthy of the start of a reference document.

In the google sheet below, I collected a substantial amount of data, but there are still many pieces missing. I basically have completed my research and decided upon my path forward. However, if members are willing to discuss the various device capabilities, it might be an interesting thread. Let's see if it flowers or withers on the vine.

The Document below is updated as I find information in the threads I follow (ATV, Shield TV, Zidoo X9S, etc.), and then I upload the new version to my Google Drive. So, just be advised the document is newer than the edit date on this post.

Mark

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s4...ezipscu_VDb2OV

Last edited by giomania; 02-13-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 201 Old 05-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The Zidoo X9S is a yes for everything except for DV, HDR-10+, and HLG.
giomania likes this.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #3 of 201 Old 05-31-2018, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post
The Zidoo X9S is a yes for everything except for DV, HDR-10+, and HLG.
Thanks for the input.

To clarify, you are saying:
It has an HDMI input?
It supports folders, ISO, and MKV both via network and USB?
What media share types does it support? NFS? SMB?

Since it has the same chip as the Dune players, I was going to assume their capabilities are the same, but you never know, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 201 Old 05-31-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
For the Nvidia Shield:

Netflix - HDR10 - YES
Amazon - HDR10 - YES
Vudu - HDR10 - YES
Vudu - Dolby Atmos - Yes (Lossy)
giomania and SuperFist like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #5 of 201 Old 05-31-2018, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 43
To clarify, you are saying:

It has an HDMI input? Yes
It supports folders, ISO, and MKV both via network and USB? Yes
What media share types does it support? NFS? SMB? Both
giomania likes this.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #6 of 201 Old 05-31-2018, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
This is great stuff! Thanks giomania!
giomania likes this.
post #7 of 201 Old 06-01-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 131
This is a comparison of MOVIE players not media players. No comparison of music or images presented.
giomania and captainbrent like this.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Pioneer SX-N30, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #8 of 201 Old 06-01-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Great spreadsheet!!! Thanks.
giomania likes this.
post #9 of 201 Old 06-01-2018, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
This is a comparison of MOVIE players not media players. No comparison of music or images presented.

Good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #10 of 201 Old 06-01-2018, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Re: Zidoo X8/X9S/X10 & X20/X20 Pro, no issues w/VC-1 as noted in spreadsheet. Where there is an issue is minimal banding w/4K HDR. Since fixed via f/w update, but need to set output to 10-bit (as light banding is still present w/12-bit). Also VP9 won't play completely smoothly.
giomania likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus

Last edited by Brajesh; 09-14-2018 at 06:31 AM.
post #11 of 201 Old 06-03-2018, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up Thanks for the File.

Good work Giomania.

I have been working my way through them too. I have been using an Oppo 105 for the last 5 years with good results.

Incoming 77" Pana EZ1000 means that I'm looking for an alternative.

Big things for me are.

4k HDR (preferably with HDR10+) and HD audio decoding from MKV.

It has to produce multichannel PCM as I have a rather complex audio set up and this is all it will accept. I would have been all over one of the Panasonics with the HDR optimiser it they played HD audio for MKV or had a HDMI in.

I'm probably going to end up with a 203.
giomania likes this.
post #12 of 201 Old 06-03-2018, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
HELP !!!!!!
Maybe this is the thread for me to post in for help.
I have absolutely no knowledge of this stuff. So, I need help.
We currently live in a house with cable, which we also get our internet through. Most of our viewing is cable but we also have a Roku.
Now, I’m thinking that Roku is one of these devices that you guys are talking about. The wife and daughter use it more than I do.

We’re looking at buying a new house that does not have cable available. So, we’re going to have to go with satellite I guess ☹️
When looking at satellite providers, what specs/features do we need to look for ? Does internet over satellite exist ? Is it reliable ? I’ve been in houses which lost satellite signal during stormy weather. This is not acceptable.

As I mentioned, I’m really new to this streaming stuff and reall don’t understand how it works or what capabilities or equipment I need.
Thanks for any help or threads/links you could point me to. I’m so lost here.
post #13 of 201 Old 06-04-2018, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
QuadMersed in bass!

Gentlemen,

I updated the document based upon feedback above, as well as some from the Apple TV 4K thread. I had to change it back to Excel and update the link, because the Google Sheet versions don't allow easy version management for some reason. With it stored as MS Excel, I can update versions without changing the shareable link.

Thanks for the input.

Mark
post #14 of 201 Old 06-05-2018, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi All,

I was wondering if you could recommend a good projector mount for a wall; i want to mount my projector on the opposite wall to to the screen; but the one Tried even though very sturdy, was not up to the job; because of the sony having only having 3 mounting points and been off centre; it wanted always tip slightly to the back; can you recommend any good mount in the UK? that can be wall mounted (not ceiling mounted)? - many thanks for your help and guidance?
post #15 of 201 Old 06-06-2018, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
QuadMersed in bass!

Wrong thread but you can’t go wrong with chief mounts

post #16 of 201 Old 06-08-2018, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Can any of those media players play X265 HEVC Files?
post #17 of 201 Old 06-09-2018, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post
Can any of those media players play X265 HEVC Files?
Just about every one of them can. Being able to play H.265/HEVC is necessary to be a 4k UHD media player.

Vizio P55-C1 | Denon AVR-X1200W
[5] DefTech ProMonitor 1000s | ProCenter 2000 | SR-8040BPs [.1] SVS PB1000 [.2] Micca R-8C
Nvidia Shield | Zidoo X9S | Popcorn Hour VTEN
post #18 of 201 Old 06-09-2018, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by movd View Post
Just about every one of them can. Being able to play H.265/HEVC is necessary to be a 4k UHD media player.

Thanks for the info. I brought a ABOX A4 Android TV box for someone that arrives next week I will test it out & see if they will play those Korean
drama files that are in H.265/HEVCMKV.
post #19 of 201 Old 06-10-2018, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 105
giomania, thanks for posting this! So what player are you going with?
giomania likes this.
post #20 of 201 Old 06-11-2018, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
giomania, thanks for posting this! So what player are you going with?

Don’t laugh, but I have an ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, AND an OPPO UDP-203.

I haven’t opened the OPPO since receiving it in May. I started down this path of creating this document to basically figure out the abilities of the three players I had, and to decide whether or not to keep the OPPO.

Since I was going to the trouble, I figured what the heck I’ll add some other players in there which is why those other players don’t have a lot of the data filled in.

Mark

thehun likes this.
post #21 of 201 Old 06-12-2018, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I started researching 4K UHD network media playback devices (both dedicated devices and players with network capabilities) last month, and it became confusing quickly.

For my own edification / sanity, I started tracking certain parameters / capabilities of the devices in a spreadsheet. Since I put a lot of work into the document, I thought I would share, and see if there is interest, or if it is worthy of the start of a reference document.

In the google sheet below, I collected a substantial amount of data, but there are still many pieces missing. I basically have completed my research and decided upon my path forward. However, if members are willing to discuss the various device capabilities, it might be an interesting thread. Let's see if it flowers or withers on the vine.

Mark

Great idea!

Some info:
-Apple TV 4K with Infuse - seemless interface in comparison to everything else I've seen with cover art. It remains to be seen if it will playback Atmos files in Atmos, but we'll know more by Fall when Apple rolls out Atmos support. Plays everything and automatically selects best default language track unlike most of the rest. Sees DLNA and SMB servers. Sees SMB & UPnP/DLNA shares. Also hooks into plex servers. Could be THE solution if Atmos capable. SHAME ON THE OP FOR NOT HAVING AN ITUNES SECTION. ITUNES IS NOW THE BIGGEST PROVIDER OF 4K MOVIE CONTENT AND OFTEN THE TITLES CAN BE HAD AT A REAL BARGAIN WITH CODE REDEMPTION.

-The Oppo's handle DLNA servers. Pretty much plays everything as advertised, but limited to 10 audio tracks.

-The Xbox One S is ineffective with 4K playback. The Movies & TV app sees DLNA servers, but not SMB. It can start up MKVs, but the video stutters. It cannot see the .m2ts files in stream folders, but it will attempt to play MKVs. It does not see 4K mp4 files. Movies & TV will not play Atmos audio tracks. It also doesn't handle DTS playback. The VLC app on the Xbox will see SMB servers from Browse (going to network locks the app up). It will play mkv Atmos tracks, but no video lol. It sees MP4s, but blows up the app when you try to play them. Sees .mt2s files, but blows up on them.

-Sony UBP-X700 Simply an excellent value and can play back dolby vision test files like the Oppo. Another huge plus are its apps. Vudu has 60fps Dolby Vision (a problem for some TVs) with Atmos. Netflix is DV, but not Atmos. Youtube HDR is superb. Amazon has HDR. The X700 sees DLNA servers. Won't see MP4 files. It does play 4K m2ts files from stream folders and it will play their Atmos tracks all with incredible speed. For mkv 4k, the X700 will play them, but not the Atmos tracks. It does play DTS HD. Spool up time on mkv is around 30 seconds. A small percentage of 4K m2ts files will not playback on the X700 properly due to stuttering and mkvs have a higher attrition rate, but it does amazingly well for a 3 pound device. A workable media player for those on a budget who want to test the 4K waters. Not great on subtitles (get Infuse) and barely enough oomph (if you get stuttering hit pause and play, for one title I directly plugged the network cable into my NAS with no router.) For those on an extreme budget willing to tailor their files to the X700s needs definitely a bargain with Vudu doing the holy grail of Atmos/Vision, Dolby Vision and Atmos for discs, and the above file playback capabilities. Serious mediaphiles will want ATV4K or Oppo.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
post #22 of 201 Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Vudu on iTunes does HDR and DV now! Some of the titles are not in place with HDR/DV and are just 4K and these are the exact same titles that the Xbox Ones are missing HDR.

Xbox One S does Netflix with HDR and Atmos and Vudu as well.

ATV4K has Vimeo for HDR 4K.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
post #23 of 201 Old 06-16-2018, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
I am moving this post from another thread where it does not belong.

I am looking for a reliable and easy to use solution that will play my NAS stored ripped movies (Blu Ray and 4K/HDR).

The following is the post I moved. This was a response to another post I made on the possibility of using JRiver in a dedicated CPU for this purpose. I had excellent results using JRiver for playing my music but purchased a complete product that included hardware, software and support (I no longer use or own that system).

Quote:
I have already ripped everything with MakeMKV. And I don't mind paying for a CPU that has enough power to make it work. The rub for me is how to set it all up and make it work. I know just a tad less than nothing about Windows and even when I finally do figure something out, your last sentence comes into play (automatic updates) and MS completely screws up what I did.

I would much prefer an Apple solution for a whole host of reasons, two of which are (a) I understand the OS a lot better and (b) I can control when (or if) OS updates occur.

But with either solution, I really don't even know where to begin. I have unsuccessfully searched for a "JRiver for dummies". I might be willing to pay someone who really does know what they are doing to implement a solution for me but those companies I did find want to sell me inflated hardware and software and I have no intention of paying a huge sum to get this done. Some of those solutions are north of $10,000. I want to buy the hardware and software and then pay someone to make it work.

I have looked at solutions like Nvidia and Dune (and others) but as I read the various threads on those kinds of products, it appears that none are really ready for "prime time". When I used JRiver for my music server, it just worked and that is why I am investigating that as a stable solution for my movie watching. And my wife needs to be able to operate whatever I implement. That is one of the good things with the Apple TV/Infuse solution. But it won't handle Atmos/DTS:X. And while it will eventually support Atmos for streaming Apple movies, there is no suggesting that it will provide full audio bitstream output to my processor.
To the above post, I got this response from @rec head :

Quote:
You should move this to a different thread if it is going to go any further.

I'm pretty sure I've seen your posts on the Jriver forum. There is definitely no super easy guide to setting Jriver up. Partially because of so many different possible configurations. Getting it to work for most things is easy and I think Jriver's forum would get you up and running pretty quickly. But getting UHD and 3D to play on the same system has been tough.

As usual Apple's simplicity = less flexibility. Windows is pretty easy these days. I'm no W10 expert so I just type a search into the box and get what I'm looking for. If you are only going to use the HTPC locally you can get it working and then keep it offline and not worry about updates breaking things. For the record Nvidia breaks things at least as often.

If it was winter time I might consider doing the build (I am far from and expert) and documenting the whole thing. But it ain't happening this summer that is for sure. One problem with having someone else do it is that if they don't have the same AVR, TV and remote then things could still be messed up when you get it.
Any comments or recommendations?
post #24 of 201 Old 06-16-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Mark

A QUICK NOTE:: HDR10+ is for all intents a Samsumg proprietary format. They invented it, they own it, and although "free" for others to adopt, was solely designed to sell more Samsung TV's. It will only play on Samsung and Panasonic TV's, and Panasonic abandoned the US market several years ago.

IMO, I don't think it should be listed in the sheet as a "common" format alongside the established brand agnostic standards such as HDR10, HLG, DV etc.

If anyone owns a recent 2017 or newer LG OLED, the "Dynamic Contrast" feature does the same thing as HDR10+ and with any HDR10 content.
TripStrip likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #25 of 201 Old 06-17-2018, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
A QUICK NOTE:: HDR10+ is for all intents a Samsumg proprietary format. They invented it, they own it, and although "free" for others to adopt, was solely designed to sell more Samsung TV's. It will only play on Samsung and Panasonic TV's, and Panasonic abandoned the US market several years ago.

IMO, I don't think it should be listed in the sheet as a "common" format alongside the established brand agnostic standards such as HDR10, HLG, DV etc.

If anyone owns a recent 2017 or newer LG OLED, the "Dynamic Contrast" feature does the same thing as HDR10+ and with any HDR10 content.

Thanks for your input. Everyone may not know that , so maybe I add something to this effect as a comment in the column header?

sonoftumble and TripStrip like this.
post #26 of 201 Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I am moving this post from another thread where it does not belong.

I am looking for a reliable and easy to use solution that will play my NAS stored ripped movies (Blu Ray and 4K/HDR).

The following is the post I moved. This was a response to another post I made on the possibility of using JRiver in a dedicated CPU for this purpose. I had excellent results using JRiver for playing my music but purchased a complete product that included hardware, software and support (I no longer use or own that system).

To the above post, I got this response from @rec head :

Any comments or recommendations?
Audioguy - I responded to your comment about JRiver not playing MKV files (which it does, as I had commented) - and see that you are still looking for a solid solution for your streaming options. I have recently been ripping my collection of UHD 4K movies now that there appears to be a solid solution with MKV and AnyDVD. In my house I am playing with/testing my various options with the different software and hardware tools that I have purchased. On the software side I am utilizing Windows Server 2012 R2 with Stablebit managing the pooling aspect for the multiple hard drives in my server - there a multiple options for you out there when it comes to server OS. On the server I have also installed JRiver, PLEX and Dune software. With those tools in place I am able to stream directly to my Dune player (which is not 4K capable - but is great for blu-ray), to one of many Roku boxes attached to every TV in the house, to another computer running JRiver or to my one nVidia Shield box. Usually after doing a few movie rips I will test the various pieces of hardware to insure that; 1) I ripped the movie correctly, and 2) to test the audio codecs that each will play.

I have found that while the Roku boxes, via PLEX, will stream the 4K movies - they are not capable of streaming the ATMOS or DTS-X codecs, while the nVidia shield, via PLEX or Kodi or SPMC, will stream 4K with the proper audio codecs - which is important to me in my 7.1.4 AV room. JRiver will also stream the 4K movies with the correct codecs.

As for these tools to properly stream video in HDR10 or Dolby Vision I can not comment as I do have a TV set that has those capabilities (yet).

Bottom line here is that while I have owned both JRiver and PLEX for some time now (years) there is a much greater learning curve on JRiver vs PLEX. With PLEX you can download a free version (which is what I am currently using) and be up and running in a few minutes - and with a little bit of research can quickly learn how to do things such as group movies (i.e. - all James Bond in one folder/container). I started to look into grouping of movies in JRiver but didn't find any clear instructions for how to do it - it's doable but I couldn't figure it out (and I'm no computer dummy). If you are going to use PLEX your only investment would be around $200 for an nVidia Shield and a few minutes of your time setting up PLEX.

Hope this infor is helpful in your search for a streaming option.

From a fellow Triad fan.

Processor: Marantz 8802a Amplifiers: ATI Signature AT6007, Emotiva XPA5 Floor Speakers: (3) Triad Inroom Gold Monitors and (4) Gold Minimonitors ATMOS Speakers: (4) Atlantic Technology IC-6 OBA BR Players: Oppo BDP-95, Panasonic DMP UB900 Streamers: Dune D1, Roku 4, nVidia Shield Screen: Panasonic Plasma TC-P65VT25 Subs: (2) Velodyne Optimums and (1) HSU ULS-15
post #27 of 201 Old 06-18-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Fellow Triad Fan" aka @65Goat

If I wanted to test PLEX, can I load it onto a MacBooK Pro, connect the MacBooK via HDMI to my Processor and try it that way? My MacBook can see all of the files I would want to access on my NAS. Using it this way, would the MacBook access the files via my network wirelessly?

Why I am asking: I have been told that my Oppo 203 will read my MKV files. BUT, while it can see the NAS, it does not see the specific folders but rather some folder I don't have? So I am apparently a complete newbie/moron when it comes to the whole network thing (contrary to the fact that I spent the first 5 years out of college as a scientific computer programmer). I went to the PLEX website and since I know so little, wasn't sure even where to begin to get some basic questions answered.

Thanks
post #28 of 201 Old 06-18-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
"Fellow Triad Fan" aka @65Goat

If I wanted to test PLEX, can I load it onto a MacBooK Pro, connect the MacBooK via HDMI to my Processor and try it that way? My MacBook can see all of the files I would want to access on my NAS. Using it this way, would the MacBook access the files via my network wirelessly?

Why I am asking: I have been told that my Oppo 203 will read my MKV files. BUT, while it can see the NAS, it does not see the specific folders but rather some folder I don't have? So I am apparently a complete newbie/moron when it comes to the whole network thing (contrary to the fact that I spent the first 5 years out of college as a scientific computer programmer). I went to the PLEX website and since I know so little, wasn't sure even where to begin to get some basic questions answered.

Thanks
First off - I am a PC guy - not an Apple computer guy - even though I have the iPhone, iPad and ear buds (LOL). BUT - I do not know your specific set up and am unsure as to what you mean by "connect the MacBook via HDMI to my Processor" - (although now that I re-read it I assume you mean your A/V pre-pro). If everything is set up properly (wireless network and PLEX configuration) I do not see why your MacBook would not work connected directly to your pre-pro to serve up your video files wirelessly. That is exactly how I test drive JRiver for streaming with my laptop.

Even though you may be able to stream the movies I am unsure as to your success as it relates to features such as the newer audio codecs and video aspects such as HDR and DV - (again, due to my unfamiliarity with the Apple OS products).

Good luck.

Processor: Marantz 8802a Amplifiers: ATI Signature AT6007, Emotiva XPA5 Floor Speakers: (3) Triad Inroom Gold Monitors and (4) Gold Minimonitors ATMOS Speakers: (4) Atlantic Technology IC-6 OBA BR Players: Oppo BDP-95, Panasonic DMP UB900 Streamers: Dune D1, Roku 4, nVidia Shield Screen: Panasonic Plasma TC-P65VT25 Subs: (2) Velodyne Optimums and (1) HSU ULS-15
post #29 of 201 Old 06-18-2018, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post
First off - I am a PC guy - not an Apple computer guy - even though I have the iPhone, iPad and ear buds (LOL). BUT - I do not know your specific set up and am unsure as to what you mean by "connect the MacBook via HDMI to my Processor" - (although now that I re-read it I assume you mean your A/V pre-pro). If everything is set up properly (wireless network and PLEX configuration) I do not see why your MacBook would not work connected directly to your pre-pro to serve up your video files wirelessly. That is exactly how I test drive JRiver for streaming with my laptop.

Even though you may be able to stream the movies I am unsure as to your success as it relates to features such as the newer audio codecs and video aspects such as HDR and DV - (again, due to my unfamiliarity with the Apple OS products).

Good luck.
What if I substitute PC for Mac? And yes, I was assuming connecting the computer on which I load PLEX (which would access my NAS) be connected to my AV processor.
post #30 of 201 Old 06-18-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
What if I substitute PC for Mac? And yes, I was assuming connecting the computer on which I load PLEX (which would access my NAS) be connected to my AV processor.
After sending my last reply I started thinking about your set up (and my response) and feel that I should probably clarify a couple of points. First off, I believe that will need to install both a Plex server and a Plex client software. The server software is required on the "sending" end of your media (where your movies are stored) and the client would be on your "receiving" end - in your case your MacBook. The server side will manage your media and do the data scraping while the client will allow you to 'pull' your media to your pre-pro. Not sure if you only load the server software on your MacBook if it will also play the files, as I have never tried that.

Here is the link for downloads - https://www.plex.tv/en-ca/media-server-downloads/

As you can see there is a server download and an "Apps & Devices" download. Bear in mind that I am not expert with this software - I have only been getting serious with it in the last month, as I am becoming familiar with its features. I am sure there must be a forum dedicated to this software where some more knowledgeable folks can assist you ------> https://support.plex.tv/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page