Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-17-2018, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 27
NAS>Dune HD-D1 stuttering

Does not happen all the time. It seems to happen more with ripped BD's. Not sure if I've seen it with ripped DVD's and I don't think I've seen it watching the same stuff from my PC but that doesn't mean it's not happening there as well as I rarely watch from my PC. Not sure if it's network or hardware related Just looking for suggestions where to start.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-17-2018, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Do a read test... Let us know the results.

On the Dune Remote... Go to the file you want to test. Press the Pop Up Menu button > Choose Information > Then choose Read Test.

On a healthy network you should max out the players bandwidth at 11MB/s

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #3 of 12 Old 06-17-2018, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post
Do a read test... Let us know the results.

On the Dune Remote... Go to the file you want to test. Press the Pop Up Menu button > Choose Information > Then choose Read Test.

On a healthy network you should max out the players bandwidth at 11MB/s
At work right now. Might have to wait until tomorrow to try it. Are you saying I have to select the folder on my NAS where the movies are or just a movie on the NAS? If I don't hit that 11MB/s would it be cables or perhaps my 16 port gigabit switch, the NAS or the player???

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-17-2018, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 417
What NAS are you using? if it has a Celeron or slower CPU, the NAS probably cannot maintain the streaming speed if the ripped file is too large in size. I use to have a WD NAS with an ARM processor and if the file was bigger than 3TB, the stream would stutter. i upgraded the NAS to a QNAP with a Celeron and most of the problems went away. But if the file was bigger than 10TB, there would be times the stream would bog down.

Mind you, my NAS is now on a W-Fi network and that could be part of the problem. But the streaming devices all show Wi-Fi connectivity as 100% to my NAS so I am not sure if that plays a factor.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #5 of 12 Old 06-17-2018, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Netgear ReadyNAS
Problem is intermittent. It started about 6 months ago. Sometimes playback is perfect and others it chokes. Going to have to figure it out sooner or later.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post
At work right now. Might have to wait until tomorrow to try it. Are you saying I have to select the folder on my NAS where the movies are or just a movie on the NAS? If I don't hit that 11MB/s would it be cables or perhaps my 16 port gigabit switch, the NAS or the player???
You need to select an actual file like an mkv, m2ts, or iso. Selecting a folder won't give you the read test option.

I am no expert, but if you don't hit between 9-11MB/s, I think you might have a network problem. Are you using SMB or NFS?

Check the player first. Put a file on a thumb drive or portable usb HDD and do the read test from there and compare the difference.

Are you able to directly connect the NAS to the player? That would be my suggestion to eliminate a NAS problem.

Then on to the network...

PS... my server is quite old but does have over 100TB of data on it. Most files are remuxed BDMV folders and ISOs. Most are way over 10Gb. UHD BDs over 50Gb+. I am saying this because I have yet to have a stutter or any playback issue with my many Dunes (TV101, Base 3.0, or TV-303D) or my Zidoo X9s.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen

Last edited by Litlgi74; 06-17-2018 at 02:07 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-19-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Have you tried rebooting the NAS?

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #8 of 12 Old 06-20-2018, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry it took me so long to get back with this. Had way more pressing issues to deal with
I am doing SMB. I have re-booted the nas I just checked the network speed and am fluctuating from 5.5 to 5.7 MB/s. So that is low. Now to find out why. Going to check my stock of short ethernet cables and swap them first to see if there is a change. I do have 16 port gigabit switch that everything is plugged into. I have a small 4 port gigabit switch that I could try between the NAS and both Dunes with short cables and try it that way.

post #9 of 12 Old 06-21-2018, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I think rather then guessing and random cable swapping, I'll stop at Lowes today and buy a Ethernet cable tester. What are the odds that my NetGear 16 port gigabit switch is failing?

post #10 of 12 Old 06-26-2018, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Making good progress. I have raised my MB/s from 5.5 to 8.5. While not the 9-11 it was suggested I should have, it has made a huge difference. And not only has it eliminated the problem that prompted this thread, it also cleaned up the image. Not sure which thread it was but years ago when I first got my 2 Dunes I complained of a grainy image. Not bad but I could see it. Was told that I should see no difference as it's bit for bit identical. If I was seeing anything it might be processing in the BD player I was using. To get that additional 3 MB/s was to install a Netgear 5 port unmanaged gigabit in the rack. Port 1 to my LAN and 2,3 and 4 to my NAS and two Dunes with short cables. Looking now for suggestions on what else to try to increase it a little more so I would be in the suggested range.

My ReadyNAS 104 has 2 ethernet ports with different addresses. I can see the NAS from my PC using any port. The Dunes with yadis are looking for a specific port address. The port currently connected to everything is set to static at .210. The currently unused port is .9.
The next thing I'll try is to split it up. I'll use port .210 for connection to the Dunes only and the other port at .9 for connection to the LAN.

I was thrilled to see the grainy image from day one gone telling me there must have been a issue all along. Before trying the 5 port switch, I did test my cables to be good. Would that indicate a problem with my 16 port gigabit switch? That is a item I bought used.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-26-2018, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post
Making good progress. I have raised my MB/s from 5.5 to 8.5. While not the 9-11 it was suggested I should have, it has made a huge difference. And not only has it eliminated the problem that prompted this thread, it also cleaned up the image. Not sure which thread it was but years ago when I first got my 2 Dunes I complained of a grainy image. Not bad but I could see it. Was told that I should see no difference as it's bit for bit identical. If I was seeing anything it might be processing in the BD player I was using. To get that additional 3 MB/s was to install a Netgear 5 port unmanaged gigabit in the rack. Port 1 to my LAN and 2,3 and 4 to my NAS and two Dunes with short cables. Looking now for suggestions on what else to try to increase it a little more so I would be in the suggested range.

My ReadyNAS 104 has 2 ethernet ports with different addresses. I can see the NAS from my PC using any port. The Dunes with yadis are looking for a specific port address. The port currently connected to everything is set to static at .210. The currently unused port is .9.
The next thing I'll try is to split it up. I'll use port .210 for connection to the Dunes only and the other port at .9 for connection to the LAN.

I was thrilled to see the grainy image from day one gone telling me there must have been a issue all along. Before trying the 5 port switch, I did test my cables to be good. Would that indicate a problem with my 16 port gigabit switch? That is a item I bought used.
Did you try hooking up the NAS directly to the Dune?

~ Swearengen
post #12 of 12 Old 06-26-2018, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post
Did you try hooking up the NAS directly to the Dune?
Tried it direct from the NAS to one of the Dunes. 8.5 is the best I can get out of it. That is with a 4 foot long cat5e cable that I just made and tested with the new tester I bought. Just for giggles, I have a brand new store bought 50 foot cat6 cable so I tried that. It dropped to 8.3. Not sure there is anyplace left to try for more. Everything seems to be working fine in the 8's.
I guess I'll have to settle for that. I have rebooted the NAS and Dunes so that's not the problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page