Replacemnet for WDTV LiveHub that plays more formats - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sudy Nim
  • 1 Post By giomania
  • 1 Post By TBoneit

post #1 of 13 Old 08-02-2018, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Replacemnet for WDTV LiveHub that plays more formats

Hi
I am interested in a replacement media player for a WDTV LiveHub. It need not have a internal hard drive. The Wd is working, I just want more formats supported.

Wants:
Plays more video formats.

Plays all versions of WMV not just the latest.
Two or more USB3 ports
Does not need Internet connectivity.
Can connect via Ethernet to QNAP external Mirrored drives via a hub.

I am not interested in streaming from websites such as Amazon or Netflix.

Any suggestions, No Amazon devices please. I'm not worried about the price nearly as much as Reliability, Ease of Use, and playing all the currently WD TV supported formats and more. Easy firmware upgrades.

Am I asking to much ?

Many Thanks
Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-02-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Did you see this?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...yer-list.html#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #3 of 13 Old 08-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Roger, I replaced my WDTV Live Hub with a Shield last November, and haven't looked back (actually, the Hub is still in place, but never gets used any more.)

Like you, I don't stream, but that's only because I'm in Canada, and there is nothing to stream (Netflix and Prime in Canada are nothing like what they are in the U.S.) Well, okay, I stream Hoopla (free from your local library) and live baseball games. But the majority of the use of the Shield is media from my local NAS via Kodi, and I haven't found anything it won't play. But do check Mark's spreadsheet to make sure it covers all your bases.
giomania likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-09-2018, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Did you see this?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...yer-list.html#

Hi Thanks for the reply, I had not seen it, I likely missed it I appreciate the reply Thanks Roger
post #5 of 13 Old 08-09-2018, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudy Nim View Post
Roger, I replaced my WDTV Live Hub with a Shield last November, and haven't looked back (actually, the Hub is still in place, but never gets used any more.)

Like you, I don't stream, but that's only because I'm in Canada, and there is nothing to stream (Netflix and Prime in Canada are nothing like what they are in the U.S.) Well, okay, I stream Hoopla (free from your local library) and live baseball games. But the majority of the use of the Shield is media from my local NAS via Kodi, and I haven't found anything it won't play. But do check Mark's spreadsheet to make sure it covers all your bases.
Hi That is good information since You replaced the same thing I am using. I guess I am sort of bummed that WD abandoned Media Players. I need to look at that one and see how well it will fill my needs. I suppose the main reason I do not stream is that there is so much content out there without it. I am as You guessed in the USA, At one point in time I was streaming Netflix fairly regularly, Then I said to myself, Self You are paying a monthly fee and not using the service so I dropped Netflix I will be looking at the post You linked. Many Thanks ROger Thanks Roger
post #6 of 13 Old 08-09-2018, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hi here's my question how easy is it to use the weird controller to do all the WD remotes functions ? Move files, Delete files, select files to play, Choose Fast forward speeds and the 10 minute jump of the WD that lets You move to a favorite scene for example ? I am starting to feel like a Dinosaur not being interested in streaming Thanks Roger
post #7 of 13 Old 08-09-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I posted this in the 4K UHD media player List thread, but you guys may be also interested in this great deal:

Best Alternative to Zidoo X9S and Dune Pro 4K for much less money...
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t

Litlgi74 likes this.

post #8 of 13 Old 08-09-2018, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
Hi here's my question how easy is it to use the weird controller to do all the WD remotes functions ? Move files, Delete files, select files to play, Choose Fast forward speeds and the 10 minute jump of the WD that lets You move to a favorite scene for example ? I am starting to feel like a Dinosaur not being interested in streaming Thanks Roger
All of those functions are available in the Kodi app on the Shield. As to controlling them, the Shield's minimalist remote does take some getting used to, but can accomplish those things.

Do you use the WDTV remote, or do you use a universal programmable remote? If the latter, be aware that unlike the older Shield, the new Shield does not have an IR receiver. If you are using a Bluetooth-enabled Harmony remote, that isn't an issue. If you are using only an IR/RF remote, such as the URC remotes (I use the MX780 and MX850,) you can add a FLIRC (small IR receiver plugs into Shield USB port) for that, or just get used to the Shield remote.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-10-2018, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudy Nim View Post
All of those functions are available in the Kodi app on the Shield. As to controlling them, the Shield's minimalist remote does take some getting used to, but can accomplish those things.

Do you use the WDTV remote, or do you use a universal programmable remote? If the latter, be aware that unlike the older Shield, the new Shield does not have an IR receiver. If you are using a Bluetooth-enabled Harmony remote, that isn't an issue. If you are using only an IR/RF remote, such as the URC remotes (I use the MX780 and MX850,) you can add a FLIRC (small IR receiver plugs into Shield USB port) for that, or just get used to the Shield remote.
I use the WD remotes, the better one that came with the livehub and the not as good one that came with a prior model. I have the older no HD equipped on one HDTV and the Livehub on another. I would not have even thought about no IR sensor so when I went to use the unopened Logitech Universal I would have been unhappy, Thanks for the heads Up. Have a Good Weekend Roger
post #10 of 13 Old 08-10-2018, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I posted this in the 4K UHD media player List thread, but you guys may be also interested in this great deal:

Best Alternative to Zidoo X9S and Dune Pro 4K for much less money...
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t

Thanks, I have read that message thread, Interesting. In my case i is not so much about saving money as having all the features I want and ease of use. Enjoy the Weekend Roger
giomania likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-10-2018, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, this may seem like a weird question ? Does the NVIDIA - SHIELD TV Pro 500GB Streaming Media Player do everything the non pro version does. The extra internal storage would be handy for me. https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD...01MYV94H3?th=1 I also read in Newegg reviews that it runs VLC, I am used to VLC I am guessing that this is not the Windows VLC I use, I wonder if it is the same? Thanks Roger
post #12 of 13 Old 08-10-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

The Pro version includes an IR receiver built in. You can have higher capability with a non-pro version by adding a FLIRC USB IR adapter.

post #13 of 13 Old 08-11-2018, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The Pro version includes an IR receiver built in. You can have higher capability with a non-pro version by adding a FLIRC USB IR adapter.

Hi When You get a chance could You explain what You mean by higher capability ? $100 for a less capable unit makes no sense to me. OTOH I am a bit of a dinosaur who has not kept up with the times. Have a Good Weekend Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page