Yet Another Windows 10 + Netflix HDR Fail Post - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-17-2018, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yet Another Windows 10 + Netflix HDR Fail Post

Short story: I believe I have all the hardware/software necessary to be able to play Netflix content in UHD + HDR. If someone has the time, I'd really appreciate a gut check on this and maybe a theory as to why I can't get it to work. Here's the setup:

Processor: Intel Core i7-5960X
OS: Windows 10 v1709 (Creators Update)
GPU: NVidia 1080 Founders
GPU Driver Version: 398.11
Display: Philips - Momentum 436M6VBPAB (UHD HDR Monitor. Sorry, still too new to post a reference link to specs)
Connected Through: Display Port
Software: Tried both the Netflix Windows 10 App and in the Edge Browser. Full screen
Settings | Windows: HDR and advanced color = ON
Settings | NVidia Control Panel: Change Resolution -> 3. Apply the following settings. -> Tried leaving it at "Use default" as well as setting Color Depth to 32-bit, Output color depth to 10 bpc, color range to RGB and dynamic range to Full (I even tried all the other combos of those settings just to verify)

Long story:
And here's where I get confused. I have the proper, upgraded Netflix subscription and all of the above seems to conform to every post or YouTube video I see of people with working Netflix HDR. I can see other HDR content just fine. Games work, the MS test video works. YouTube HDR works, etc. But Netflix just flat refuses. Reboots, re-installs of the Netflix App, deleting all data in Edge, etc. with no results. And, as above, I run it in full screen. When using the Windows 10 Netflix App in full screen I *sometimes* get a brief, dark flash like Netflix+Windows is trying to figure something out, but it never results in anything and there are no errors or anything else to indicate what is going on. Other times the App just starts up as you might expect. I've tried turning on HDR settings in Windows before launching the app, after launching the app, before reboot, after reboot, and in combination with various NVidia Control Panel settings just to see if I can jog something loose. No dice. My kingdom for a Netflix App setting to force it to think I have HDR!

cntrl+alt+shift+D on Netflix confirms that the codec is merely "avs" -- no "hdr" which, of course, is no surprise because I never see the HDR badge on any of the content that's supposed to have it (Marco Polo, Stranger Things 2, etc.) in the first place.

If anyone has any ideas or is much smarter at looking at logs and that sort of thing, I'd really appreciate some help here. I've tried reaching out to Netflix CS but they just linked me the dumb HDR manual pages that are on their website which, of course, were the first things I looked at.
A5Matt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 08-17-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VisionxOrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by A5Matt View Post
Short story: I believe I have all the hardware/software necessary to be able to play Netflix content in UHD + HDR. If someone has the time, I'd really appreciate a gut check on this and maybe a theory as to why I can't get it to work. Here's the setup:

Processor: Intel Core i7-5960X
OS: Windows 10 v1709 (Creators Update)
GPU: NVidia 1080 Founders
GPU Driver Version: 398.11
Display: Philips - Momentum 436M6VBPAB (UHD HDR Monitor. Sorry, still too new to post a reference link to specs)
Connected Through: Display Port
Software: Tried both the Netflix Windows 10 App and in the Edge Browser. Full screen
Settings | Windows: HDR and advanced color = ON
Settings | NVidia Control Panel: Change Resolution -> 3. Apply the following settings. -> Tried leaving it at "Use default" as well as setting Color Depth to 32-bit, Output color depth to 10 bpc, color range to RGB and dynamic range to Full (I even tried all the other combos of those settings just to verify)

Long story:
And here's where I get confused. I have the proper, upgraded Netflix subscription and all of the above seems to conform to every post or YouTube video I see of people with working Netflix HDR. I can see other HDR content just fine. Games work, the MS test video works. YouTube HDR works, etc. But Netflix just flat refuses. Reboots, re-installs of the Netflix App, deleting all data in Edge, etc. with no results. And, as above, I run it in full screen. When using the Windows 10 Netflix App in full screen I *sometimes* get a brief, dark flash like Netflix+Windows is trying to figure something out, but it never results in anything and there are no errors or anything else to indicate what is going on. Other times the App just starts up as you might expect. I've tried turning on HDR settings in Windows before launching the app, after launching the app, before reboot, after reboot, and in combination with various NVidia Control Panel settings just to see if I can jog something loose. No dice. My kingdom for a Netflix App setting to force it to think I have HDR!

cntrl+alt+shift+D on Netflix confirms that the codec is merely "avs" -- no "hdr" which, of course, is no surprise because I never see the HDR badge on any of the content that's supposed to have it (Marco Polo, Stranger Things 2, etc.) in the first place.

If anyone has any ideas or is much smarter at looking at logs and that sort of thing, I'd really appreciate some help here. I've tried reaching out to Netflix CS but they just linked me the dumb HDR manual pages that are on their website which, of course, were the first things I looked at.

4k on netflix requires a kabylake cpu or newer. I dont know if this has changed with adding nvidia capability. also if you have more than one monitor connected, ALL of them need to be hdcp 2.2.

EDIT: Ive read on nvidia's site if its a clean install of CU then you need to add this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/he...%3aoverviewtab

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred

Last edited by VisionxOrb; 08-17-2018 at 04:45 PM.
VisionxOrb is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-17-2018, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ah, that's interesting. Thanks VisionxOrb. I do think that the processor should be fine with the GPU, as you mentioned. At least according to Netflix's FAQ. I totally never found that on NVidia's site! Thank you so much for that! Downloading now and I'll try that out. Just for reference in case other folks stumble across this thread and don't want to look it up, here's what Netflix's FAQ says about integrated vs. discreet GPU requirements:
If using integrated Intel GPU:

Windows 10 Creators Update is required (version 1703).

CPU: 7th Generation Core (i3, i5, or i7 7xxx or 7Yxx) or higher processor.

Graphics Driver: 22.XX.XX series, version 4708 or higher.

Note:
Devices must be enabled for HDR by the manufacturer.
If using discrete NVIDIA GPU:

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is required (version 1703).

GPU: 1050, 1060, 1070, and 1080 cards with at least 3GB of video RAM.

Graphics Driver: 387.68 (23.21.13.8768) or higher.

Note:
Devices must support Microsoft PlayReady 3.0 or higher.
If you are unsure if your computer meets these requirements, please reach out to the manufacturer.
A5Matt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 08-17-2018, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
EDIT: Ive read on nvidia's site if its a clean install of CU then you need to add this
So this got me a little closer. I get the HDR tags, but now Netflix just crashes (HDR or no HDR). In the desktop app it just crashes-to-desktop trying to play any video. In Edge, clicking any video causes the loading circle but then it goes blank and then reloads the page again. It just gets stuck in that loop which I'm assuming is a crash-reload-crash-reload situation. So, I guess now I'm at a different crossroads. Anyone good at looking at crash data? I'm guessing those extensions (weird that it costs $0.99) are in conflict with something but I don't really know how to figure out what, exactly. Uninstall of the HEVC extensions and everything works fine (though no HDR tags of course) so it's definitely those that're the culprit.

I also noticed that there's a new Game Ready driver from NVidia, so I tried updating my drivers as well (now at 398.82). Same story :/
A5Matt is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-18-2018, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by A5Matt View Post
So this got me a little closer. I get the HDR tags, but now Netflix just crashes (HDR or no HDR). In the desktop app it just crashes-to-desktop trying to play any video. In Edge, clicking any video causes the loading circle but then it goes blank and then reloads the page again. It just gets stuck in that loop which I'm assuming is a crash-reload-crash-reload situation. So, I guess now I'm at a different crossroads. Anyone good at looking at crash data? I'm guessing those extensions (weird that it costs $0.99) are in conflict with something but I don't really know how to figure out what, exactly. Uninstall of the HEVC extensions and everything works fine (though no HDR tags of course) so it's definitely those that're the culprit.

I also noticed that there's a new Game Ready driver from NVidia, so I tried updating my drivers as well (now at 398.82). Same story :/
So, I finally got it to work. Unfortunately I don't have any easy answers for anyone else that runs into this thread for the crash issue that I was having, but you do, indeed, need the HEVC Extensions that VisionxOrb linked to.

My crash issue was fixed by upgrading Windows through a reinstall. I updated to 1803 from 1709. My updates were constantly failing and I finally gave up and just downloaded the 1803 ISO and did a fresh install of Windows. Before I installed anything else, I did Windows Update to make sure I had everything current, installed my NVidia drivers, and then installed the HEVC codec. After that, I was able to active HDR in display settings and Netflix content does, indeed, play in its full glory. Just thought I should update this thread with the final results in case someone else runs across it in the future. Also, thanks again VisionxOrb!
A5Matt is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 08-18-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VisionxOrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 249
very welcome glad you got it working!

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
VisionxOrb is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 08-23-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,565
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
The Fall Creator's Update coming out in a few weeks will address the HDR switching issues, but you will need to install the latest drivers, so be sure you keep an eye out for driver updates.
LexInVA is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
same issue playing streaming HDR in fullscreen

Hi All...

I have sort of the same issue here. HDR mode seem to cause me many issue.

My computer :
I7 5930K
32GB RAM
Graphic card : GTR 2080Ti (last driver installed 441.41)
Windows 10 Pro Last version to this day
Codec HEVC installed on windows app.

When I try to play a streaming video of netflix, be it on EDGE browser or on the netflix APP, as long as I'm not in Full screen it's ok... But once I press full screen, i go through a black screen, my TV detects and HDR signal and it'll either stay black (and play in the background), or just play for a bit then black screen, then play a bit etc... Until it'll go into a black screen and never show anything else (although still playing in the background). My TV doesn't tell me there is no signal, so I think the signal is there but just black. Then the only way to get back my computer signal is to switch sources on my TV and go back to my computer source (I've tried win+D, escape, ctrl Maj escape....but nothing works)

My HDMI 2.0 cables are not to blame I swapped with brand new ones and nothing.

Weirdly when I 'm in chrome youtube 4K videos in HDR (you have a demo available). it works just fine even in full screen mode. however in EDGE or Netflix, it doesn't work. This is super annoying.

I could play shadow of tomb raider in HDR for 15 min without any issue,but once I quit the game then black screen once again, and same issue. There is something going on with the HDR mode in windows when going to exiting full screen...

My install is rather Fresh (about 2 weeks fresh), although I probably didnt install it all in the same order as mentionned in the solution.

I connected a support person from Microsoft to have a look but they have no clue what's going on on my machine.

I'd rather no format and reinstall my whole computer for this issue... But I think i don't have a choice here...

Anyone has found a fix ?

thanks a lot
Laurent Bastien is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr problems , Netflix , windows 10

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off