New Zidoo Z9S and Z10 (RTD1296 SoC) - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 595Likes

post #301 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelie View Post
Very helpful Mark, thanks a lot!
I'll skip kodi then.

Sorry - I completely forgot about ZDMC which is a port of Kodi designed specifically for Zidoo

I've tried it in the past on an X9S and it works pretty well as long as you don't choose a graphically intensive skin (Estuary or Nebula work fine).

It used to come preloaded on the X9S but not on the Z9S - I've seen links for it posted on this thread I think...

In all honesty, I think Home Theatre 2 properly set up is a more elegant solution, particularly in a dedicated room, but it might be worth a look - you can always delete it if you don't like how it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Can't beat Kodi for optimal local movie/TV library management, support for NFO files/local posters/fanart (more control), and beautiful/customizable skins. Just need to make sure ZDMC is set to use external player (vs. Kodi/ZDMC internal).

I use this Kodi skin; it's beautiful, and highly customizable. Also supports 4K HDR & ATMOS/DTS:X flags.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #303 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Can't beat Kodi for optimal local movie/TV library management, support for NFO files/local posters/fanart (more control), and beautiful/customizable skins. Just need to make sure ZDMC is set to use external player (vs. Kodi/ZDMC internal).

I use this Kodi skin; it's beautiful, and highly customizable. Also supports 4K HDR & ATMOS/DTS:X flags.

I'll have a look at that skin on my Shield - I tend to use Nebula with my own "flat" icons to keep it clean and uncluttered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Silly me. It won't display 4K settings unless connected to a 4K monitor. I switched to my JVC projector and voila, the 4K settting appeared. DOH!
markswift2003 likes this.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
post #305 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

External player as in the Zidoo Home Theater app? I have not used Kodi, but find Zidoo misidentifies too many titles and it is not easy to correct the errors.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
post #306 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
I did think that, even though it shouldn't matter with YST mode on, however the Vertex is in the cinema system and this evening I brought the Zidoo into another room which just has a Samsung TV via a Denon 7200, no Vertex, and the settings remain persistent.

I even booted the Zidoo before the Denon & the TV were switched on and it was still ok.

As for the syncing - that's completely different behaviour to mine too - both in the Den (Z9S > 7200 > Samsung TV) and the cinema (Z9S > Vertex > 8500 > JVC PJ) it doesn't resync if the content matches the desktop.

I have had situations in the past when the Zidoo has defaulted to 1080p60 after I've been moving it about and I always figured it was due to there not being an EDID sink available at boot, and obviously the Vertex takes care of that, but it would seem that isn't the case - I can cold boot with no connection, then make the connection and it'll still be at 4K23 with 23 & 59Hz modes available.

It's an odd one for sure.

But yes, let's see what happens when you hang the Vertex off it...

I can't see why this would make a difference, but it's worth a go - try replicating my settings:

Ignore EDID on
Switch frame rate and resolution on
HDMI mode 3840x2160p23
SDR to HDR on
Deep Colour Priority 10-bit
Colour Space YCbCr 444
HDMI range 16-235

I know there's nothing special in that list at all, but all I can say is it works here and even when booting from cold with no HDMI cable connected (just tried that too!).
So I had some time to watch some material on the Z9S in my PJ / Vertex system (which is where it will stay once I get it ironed out) last night.

First off, I checked the Vertex timing info on 23hz playback for you - 23.974.
59hz = 59.932 (fwiw, my shield after 7.2 FW shows 59.931 - maybe it always did...)

So while I never actually checked the power on / off resolution persistence, I did discover some odd behavior.

1) At one point, with desktop resolution at 1080/59, I could play DVD rips (29hz ones, which play at 59) w/out a resync (they play at 1080/23 or 59 depending on original frame rate). I could also return to the "poster wall" or home menu w/out a resync from these rips. Oddly, I couldn't play a BR rip that also outputs 1080/59 without a resync (which is what normally happens). I checked the Zidoo "info" box on both files (DVD and BR) and they were both in the 1080/59 444 10bit 709 output mode.

2) Related to above, I found that at some point, the above DVD rips started re-syncing again upon playback (like the BR files, and like what I'd been seeing in the other system), but while "quick settings" still showed 1080/59 as the output mode. Checked vertex OSD - it shows 60, not 59. But earlier, the Vertex showed 59 (which is what it should have been). So there are some issues with the Zidoo keeping track of frame rates it seems (resolution seems to always be what you're expecting).

I did observe what subjectively I'd call great image quality - compared a few clips with the Shield, and it's a tough call, but I think they are close to indistinguishable on 1080 material (didn't try any 4K HDR at this time). Zidoo has the edge for DVD rips IMO, which is great news for me since I have a bunch of DVD era (or before...) music concerts.

While not conclusive by any means, I'll say I didn't see any lipsync error (which I commonly see on Shield / Kodi / SPMC / Plex etc...) from time to time. This is especially bothersome on concert music rips, since even a small error is usually visible (and might not be in a movie), as when the drummer hits a cymbal, you can instantly tell the timing is off. Some files themselves have this in it and the only fix is offset, but I find (with shield and all those players mentioned) I see different results depending on the player sometimes. Zidoo looks good so far...

Didn't have any playback issues or stutters, or any other unexpected behavior (except one out of the blue HDM resync - but I've had those before here and there with other sources in use...too many HDMI boxes in line, who knows where that issue is).

Which leads me to ask why you have your Vertex between the Z9S and your AVR, as opposed to at the output of the AVR? Or at least that's how I understood your post.

And regarding your settings, mine are the same with the exception of the desktop resolution - I will say that could be it, as mine reverts to 4K23 after a reboot. Could just be that the resolution that you chose is the failsafe (23hz being low bandwidth) 4K resolution? Or at least a resolution that IS persistent. I'll play with mine and see if 4K23 sticks - maybe you can try 1080/59 and see what happens...

Thanks for taking the time to help with this.
post #307 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
So I had some time to watch some material on the Z9S in my PJ / Vertex system (which is where it will stay once I get it ironed out) last night.

First off, I checked the Vertex timing info on 23hz playback for you - 23.974.
59hz = 59.932 (fwiw, my shield after 7.2 FW shows 59.931 - maybe it always did...)

So while I never actually checked the power on / off resolution persistence, I did discover some odd behavior.

1) At one point, with desktop resolution at 1080/59, I could play DVD rips (29hz ones, which play at 59) w/out a resync (they play at 1080/23 or 59 depending on original frame rate). I could also return to the "poster wall" or home menu w/out a resync from these rips. Oddly, I couldn't play a BR rip that also outputs 1080/59 without a resync (which is what normally happens). I checked the Zidoo "info" box on both files (DVD and BR) and they were both in the 1080/59 444 10bit 709 output mode.

2) Related to above, I found that at some point, the above DVD rips started re-syncing again upon playback (like the BR files, and like what I'd been seeing in the other system), but while "quick settings" still showed 1080/59 as the output mode. Checked vertex OSD - it shows 60, not 59. But earlier, the Vertex showed 59 (which is what it should have been). So there are some issues with the Zidoo keeping track of frame rates it seems (resolution seems to always be what you're expecting).

I did observe what subjectively I'd call great image quality - compared a few clips with the Shield, and it's a tough call, but I think they are close to indistinguishable on 1080 material (didn't try any 4K HDR at this time). Zidoo has the edge for DVD rips IMO, which is great news for me since I have a bunch of DVD era (or before...) music concerts.

While not conclusive by any means, I'll say I didn't see any lipsync error (which I commonly see on Shield / Kodi / SPMC / Plex etc...) from time to time. This is especially bothersome on concert music rips, since even a small error is usually visible (and might not be in a movie), as when the drummer hits a cymbal, you can instantly tell the timing is off. Some files themselves have this in it and the only fix is offset, but I find (with shield and all those players mentioned) I see different results depending on the player sometimes. Zidoo looks good so far...

Didn't have any playback issues or stutters, or any other unexpected behavior (except one out of the blue HDM resync - but I've had those before here and there with other sources in use...too many HDMI boxes in line, who knows where that issue is).

Which leads me to ask why you have your Vertex between the Z9S and your AVR, as opposed to at the output of the AVR? Or at least that's how I understood your post.

And regarding your settings, mine are the same with the exception of the desktop resolution - I will say that could be it, as mine reverts to 4K23 after a reboot. Could just be that the resolution that you chose is the failsafe (23hz being low bandwidth) 4K resolution? Or at least a resolution that IS persistent. I'll play with mine and see if 4K23 sticks - maybe you can try 1080/59 and see what happens...

Thanks for taking the time to help with this.

Thanks for checking the 23Hz frame rate - so exactly the same as mine and Zombie's as expected - it's just interesting - we had a guy a couple of days ago who reported 23.976 on both a Vertex and an Radiance Pro which is really odd - you'd expect the odd rounding error, but certainly not that much of a difference for the same hardware/firmware.

So you're using your Z9S for a much broader variety of content than me so maybe teething problems are to be expected - if you don't tie it down I'd try and get a clear description of the issues along with a clear way for the devs to replicate it and send to [email protected] - they've been extremely responsive with me.

I have the Vertex in straight through matrix mode with a Shield and the Z9S on the inputs and the two outputs feeding two inputs on the AVR.

The reason for that is I didn't want the Vertex on other sources into the amp, but you're absolutely right, maybe I should have done with it and hang it off everything... I'll have a play with that.

I have a slight complication in that I control the Vertex by RS232 from my Crestron processor and similarly the Vertex's output is parsed by the system and the projector is controlled by the Crestron program rather than the Vertex so if I put it up by the projector, which I believe is the best place, ie after the longest HDMI run (15M), I'd need to run another 232 cable from the Crestron processor to the Vertex... projects, projects, projects

And yes, I'll try 1080p59Hz and see if it sticks...
Iamjcl likes this.
post #308 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5528 Post(s)
Liked: 5979
Quote:
Thanks for checking the 23Hz frame rate - so exactly the same as mine and Zombie's as expected - it's just interesting - we had a guy a couple of days ago who reported 23.976 on both a Vertex and an Radiance Pro which is really odd - you'd expect the odd rounding error, but certainly not that much of a difference for the same hardware/firmware.
The Lumagen must be a factor somehow, it's likely the Vertex alone would show the 23.974 that we've been seeing. I saw your post about the Zappiti framerate. I think it's going to repeat frames since all the commercial players (UB820 / Oppo 203) are showing 23.973 or 23.974 without the issues. The Vertex may be reporting under just a few clicks and 23.976 may be over the threshold. It definitely is on the Dune 4K Pro as we've seen first hand with the repeated frames.

I watched several episodes of Blue Planet II UHD last night it looked excellent with solid playback.
post #309 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The Lumagen must be a factor somehow, it's likely the Vertex alone would show the 23.974 that we've been seeing. I saw your post about the Zappiti framerate. I think it's going to repeat frames since all the commercial players (UB820 / Oppo 203) are showing 23.973 or 23.974 without the issues. The Vertex may be reporting under just a few clicks and 23.976 may be over the threshold. It definitely is on the Dune 4K Pro as we've seen first hand with the repeated frames.

I watched several episodes of Blue Planet II UHD last night it looked excellent with solid playback.

Must admit I tend to agree with you - there's a lot more chance than not that the frame rate will be just over 24000/1001.

And yes, I keep saying it, but it's definitely worth repeating - quite a few films on the Z9S now and zero stutters, zero issues.
post #310 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Must admit I tend to agree with you - there's a lot more chance than not that the frame rate will be just over 24000/1001.

And yes, I keep saying it, but it's definitely worth repeating - quite a few films on the Z9S now and zero stutters, zero issues.
You may not have had issues playing mkv, but there are issues.
No reply so far from Zidoo support.

Users should be aware of :

1. Issues with blu-Ray menus BDMV folders (e.g Spider-Man Homecoming, freezes or skips into chapter 1)

2. Blu-Ray titles which use seamless branching have an audio dropout at every m2ts file transition even when played via the blu-Ray menu (e.g. Thor Ragnarok). It was discussed extensively on the Zidoo forum, never fixed.
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thre...blu-rays.4439/

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 12-14-2018 at 12:36 PM.
post #311 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And yes, I'll try 1080p59Hz and see if it sticks...
So I tried your settings, and set my Zidoo desktop to 4K/23 - it sticks through a reboot. So apparently something weird is going on with 1080/59 (of course, since that's what I'd like to use...).

So if you see the same behavior with 1080/59 not persisting through a reboot on yours, then I think its safe to say it isn't display related. I'll then supply Zidoo with the details so maybe they can address it somehow going forward.

Probably an easy fix somewhere (possibly even in an .xml or something somewhere I could look for but I'm not poking around looking for it) so I hope they can address it soon.
post #312 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
You may not have had issues playing mkv, but there are issues.
No reply so far from Zidoo support.

Users should be aware of :

1. Issues with blu-Ray menus BDMV folders (e.g Spider-Man Homecoming, freezes or skips into chapter 1)

2. Blu-Ray tittles which use seamless branching have an audio dropout at every m2ts file transition even when played via the blu-Ray menu (e.g. Thor Ragnarok). It was discussed extensively on the Zidoo forum, never fixed.
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thre...blu-rays.4439/
I'd also add that so far (in 1.7.7 and 1.97 FW) that playing Hi Res multi channel audio (24/96 5.1 .FLAC from a DVD audio rip in this case) the first 1/4 second or so of each track is inaudible or muted.

The music player app in general is pretty poor, fwiw, but maybe there is another Android app that will work? I think some / most Android boxes are supposedly limited to 48Khz audio, and maybe 16bit resolution as well, although through the Zidoo my AVR shows 96K sampling rate on the DVD-A files I mentioned (which is the correct sampling rate - no way to determine bit depth that I'm aware of...)
post #313 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I tried your settings, and set my Zidoo desktop to 4K/23 - it sticks through a reboot. So apparently something weird is going on with 1080/59 (of course, since that's what I'd like to use...).

So if you see the same behavior with 1080/59 not persisting through a reboot on yours, then I think its safe to say it isn't display related. I'll then supply Zidoo with the details so maybe they can address it somehow going forward.

Probably an easy fix somewhere (possibly even in an .xml or something somewhere I could look for but I'm not poking around looking for it) so I hope they can address it soon.
Interesting... ok testing 1080p59 now...

So, 1080p59 does not stick and changes to 3840x2160p60, so yes, it seems we have something funky going on here..

So tried some other modes:

1080p23 sticks.

1080p24 sticks

1080p60 sticks

3840x2160p23 sticks

3840x2160p24 sticks

3840x2160p59 sticks

3840x2160p60 sticks

So the issue seems to be at 1080p59 only... very odd,,,

Last edited by markswift2003; 12-14-2018 at 01:31 PM.
post #314 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting... ok testing 1080p59 now...

So, 1080p59 does not stick and changes to 3840x2160p60, so yes, it seems we have something funky going on here..

So tried some other modes:

1080p23 sticks.

1080p24 sticks

1080p60 sticks

3840x2160p23 sticks

3840x2160p24 sticks

3840x2160p59 sticks

3840x2160p60 sticks

So the issue seems to be at 1080p59 only... very odd,,,
And the one mode I would like to use is of course the one that's broken

I'll submit to Zidoo...
post #315 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Dave View Post
Ziddo version of Kodi

https://github.com/zidootech/ZDMC/releases

"We released google play kit for Z9S/Z10,For install it the firmware version above V1.7.7 is necessary"
http://apidl.zidoo.tv/app/GappsInsta...7.1_v1.2.1.apk
Pardon an ignorant question, but how does one install these?

post #316 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
Pardon an ignorant question, but how does one install these?
Download the apk (zdmc-17.6.1_1295.apk) copy to a USB stick, plug into the Zidoo and use ApkInstaller in Apps.
post #317 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Download the apk (zdmc-17.6.1_1295.apk) copy to a USB stick, plug into the Zidoo and use ApkInstaller in Apps.
Format to Fat32 with nothing also on the stick? Many thanks. I'm new to Zidoo. Just got the z9s on Thursday.

post #318 of 2005 Old 12-14-2018, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's what I meant by enabling external playback if you're using ZDMC. External player = native Realtek-based Zidoo video player (which supports 3D MVC & 4K HDR)...

This is the Kodi 'Aura' skin I mentioned...

post #319 of 2005 Old 12-15-2018, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is the Kodi 'Aura' skin I mentioned...

Just had a quick look at that on my Vero - very nice indeed.
post #320 of 2005 Old 12-15-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mark, how are you finding 4K HDR playback on Vero (do you have the newer Vero+ version?) vs. Zidoo Z9S? I had a PM exchange w/Sam @ Vero and for their next box, they're exploring a non-AMLogic solution.

Also, new f/w 2.1.19 for X9S (not Z9S) is out... I don't have a Vertex; can someone please check if the 2D/4K 23.978 issue is still there (not that I'm expecting a miracle fix).

Last edited by Brajesh; 12-15-2018 at 02:09 PM.
post #321 of 2005 Old 12-15-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Mark, how are you finding 4K HDR playback on Vero (do you have the newer Vero+ version?) vs. Zidoo Z9S? I had a PM exchange w/Sam @ Vero and for their next box, they're exploring a non-AMLogic solution.

Also, new f/w 2.1.19 for X9S (not Z9S) is out... I don't have a Vertex; can someone please check if the 2D/4K 23.978 issue is still there (not that I'm expecting a miracle fix).
I just updated older 2016 X9s (for those following, not the thread topic 2018 model Z9s) and checked a number of 2D / 3D / UHD files on that update.

UHD MKV

12bit/444 - 23.978
10bit/444 - 23.976 - I think this is going to frame repeat, it's higher than all the other devices that play perfect with a reported 23.973 or 23.974 framerate on Vertex

2D MKV

Any combination (10bit/12bit/422/444) - 23.978

3D MKV / ISO

23.973 Frame Packed

I have a Vero 4K+ as well. I put it away about a month+ ago as I found it a little buggy vs. the Shield but will update it and take a closer look.
Brajesh and markswift2003 like this.
post #322 of 2005 Old 12-15-2018, 05:01 PM

Same test above (same files) with the 2018 Z9s latest firmware

UHD MKV

10bit/444 - 23.974

2D MKV

3D MKV/ISO

I've run a number of these files through 2D/3D + UHD and haven't seen a repeated frame yet.

Dune 4K Pro with latest firmware is still way off with UHD MKV 23.981 / 23.988 depending on color mode / bit depth
Brajesh and 3DVideoBuff like this.
post #323 of 2005 Old 12-15-2018, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
10bit/444 - 23.976 - I think this is going to frame repeat, it's higher than all the other devices that play perfect with a reported 23.973 or 23.974 framerate on Vertex
Ironic that it's showing perfect 23.976 and would frame repeat?

post #324 of 2005 Old 12-16-2018, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The Vero+ is pretty good, but not quite as fast as the Shield as you'd expect. For a "Just enough OS for Kodi" box it's probably the best of the bunch - certainly beats LibreElec on the same SOC, but it could do with a more powerful box.

The main problem is trying to get it to output 10-bit reliably - they've not managed to get any bit depth or colour subsampling switches into Kodi so you have to SSH in and fiddle about, but playback seems rock solid for the time I played with it and the picture is fine.

I've not bothered checking the frame rate I must admit so I may take a look at that later

Quote:
Ironic that it's showing perfect 23.976 and would frame repeat?

Problem is we know these boxes repeat when frame rate is greater than 23.976, or more accurately, 24000/1001 and since the Vertex only resolves to 3 decimal places, that means a reading of 23.976 could be anywhere from 23.97600 to 23.97649 and 24000/1001 is 23.97602...

So if the frame rate is say, 23.97610 you'll get a repeat every 219 minutes which wouldn't realistically be a big issue, but if it was 23.97649 it's every 35 minutes which would, and the Vertex would still report 23.976.

It's unlikely that they've hit it spot, ie under 23.97602... so as Zombie says, I'd expect the odd repeated frame as well.

Much safer to see the frame rate a touch lower.
zombie10k likes this.
post #325 of 2005 Old 12-16-2018, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Definitely not ‘zero issues’ for me with the Z9S.

Watched Tomb Raider (2018) UHD, original BDMV folders.

There is a repeatable audio and video freeze at 00:38:27 at the point where Lara Croft leaps across the sea in the storm.
The Z9S misses it out the leap sequence altogether and then resumes.

This is not a seamless branched title, not sure why this clip is problematic for the Z9S.

Tried the same scene on the Pro 4K, plays perfectly. I had to watch on the Pro 4K to see what had been missed out.
(Also plays perfectly on a PC).

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 12-16-2018 at 04:08 AM.
post #326 of 2005 Old 12-16-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:

I'm new to Zidoo (long term Dune user) so don't know what to expect with their firmware release cycles. With this new firmware for the X9S would we expect to see something soon for the Z9S or are the release cycles completely independent?

Thanks

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player

Last edited by blenky; 12-16-2018 at 06:23 AM.
post #327 of 2005 Old 12-16-2018, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anybody used the Kodi version adapted for Zidoo that is linked from the Zidoo site?

Home Theater app that comes installed on the Z9S is pretty good for my purposes, so not sure I want to complicate things any more, but was curious.

Does it use the same playback engine that the native Home Theater app uses?

Also wonder if it can be used to play back audio files in native 96K sampling rates (Android apparently only allows up to 48, but Z9S apparently bypasses some portion of Android to supposedly allow higher rates, but I'm guessing this may only be if you use the native "Music Player" app - which is horrible.

Any feedback appreciated!
post #328 of 2005 Old 12-16-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Has anybody used the Kodi version adapted for Zidoo that is linked from the Zidoo site?

Home Theater app that comes installed on the Z9S is pretty good for my purposes, so not sure I want to complicate things any more, but was curious.

Does it use the same playback engine that the native Home Theater app uses?

Also wonder if it can be used to play back audio files in native 96K sampling rates (Android apparently only allows up to 48, but Z9S apparently bypasses some portion of Android to supposedly allow higher rates, but I'm guessing this may only be if you use the native "Music Player" app - which is horrible.

Any feedback appreciated!
Briefly used the latest build and works pretty well. However I particular want bluray menu support so I prefer HT2 as an overall experience. You can select the Zidoo player in settings.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #329 of 2005 Old 12-16-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
I'm new to Zidoo (long term Dune user) so don't know what to expect with their firmware release cycles. With this new firmware for the X9S would we expect to see something soon for the Z9S or are the release cycles completely independent?

Thanks

I don't think there is a correlation in releases between the Zidoo products, at least those with different chipsets, but there is a new firmware for the Z9S due shortly - I had an email from them confirming an addition I suggested, but no idea exactly when.
post #330 of 2005 Old 12-16-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think there is a correlation in releases between the Zidoo products, at least those with different chipsets, but there is a new firmware for the Z9S due shortly - I had an email from them confirming an addition I suggested, but no idea exactly when.
Great. I understand there are a lot of updates to HT2 in this release. Must admit I'm a big fan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page