New Zidoo Z9S and Z10 (RTD1296 SoC) - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 470Likes

post #1141 of 1557 Old 05-09-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondi View Post
Thanks for the reply Mark. Is this true for both BD & UHD rips?
tia

Sorry - I misinterpreted your question

I checked on a UHD rip since I only use the Zidoo for UHD, but since the mechanism is built around the MKV container I would assume it'd be the same for 2K - there's no reason why not.

To be honest though, although it's nice to have, I've never needed forced sub recognition since I only rip the streams I want into an MKV - so if a movie has forced subs, I rip only that sub and just leave subs on permanently on the box. Never felt the need to keep Chinese, Russian and Slovakian subtitles for posterity...

The only downside is identifying that a movie actually has forced subs, identifying the correct stream and then remembering to rip it!- try watching A Quiet Place without subs .

<edit>
Just checked a 2K MKV and forced subs work on that too.

Zidoo Z9S | Dune Pro 4K | HDFury Vertex | 32TB mirrored storage
Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
A pair of slippers, a comfy sofa and a glass of 16 year old single malt

Last edited by markswift2003; 05-09-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1557 Old 05-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Yeah I'm finding it pretty annoying with subtitles and the movies if remastered (a lot of 3ds I've added Atmos to). I do all mine to iso, and didn't really figure the subtitles, which was forced etc. I just used tsmuxer and it doesn't indicate. I'm not sure how to fix it. I might need to pull all the source discs and maybe Remux a subtitle and move to MKV. Ugh.
Whirlpool0548 likes this.
post #1143 of 1557 Old 05-09-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Yeah I'm finding it pretty annoying with subtitles and the movies if remastered (a lot of 3ds I've added Atmos to). I do all mine to iso, and didn't really figure the subtitles, which was forced etc. I just used tsmuxer and it doesn't indicate. I'm not sure how to fix it. I might need to pull all the source discs and maybe Remux a subtitle and move to MKV. Ugh.

I've been using media servers for at over 15 years now, through DVD, BluRay and now UHD BluRay, and my main motivation was originally to get rid of all the menu nonsense and forced playlists and just get straight to the movie in the most elegant manner possible.

A few years ago when I was using 2K on a Mede8er, I used to use TSMuxer to create movie only BDMV folders - force of habit because I was used to the structure.

Then one day I asked myself why on earth was I doing that - as I say, habit as much as anything else.

Anyway, I moved to MKV and have never looked back. Dead simple - you keep what you need and discard what you don't and you have a single wrapper without all the needless overhead, and best of all, generally everything just works so you don't need to spend half your life on forums wondering why the BDA just moved the goal posts and made everyone's life difficult yet again.

With the greatest of respect, it seems that the majority of people moaning about this that or the other are those struggling with ISO rips and particularly (for reasons I really can't fathom), menus etc etc etc.

Those of us using MKVs just seem to keep our heads down and enjoy watching great movies.

My advice; give it a go. You might like it.

Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 1557 Old 05-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
I've been using media servers for at over 15 years now, through DVD, BluRay and now UHD BluRay, and my main motivation was originally to get rid of all the menu nonsense and forced playlists and just get straight to the movie in the most elegant manner possible.

A few years ago when I was using 2K on a Mede8er, I used to use TSMuxer to create movie only BDMV folders - force of habit because I was used to the structure.

Then one day I asked myself why on earth was I doing that - as I say, habit as much as anything else.

Anyway, I moved to MKV and have never looked back. Dead simple - you keep what you need and discard what you don't and you have a single wrapper without all the needless overhead, and best of all, generally everything just works so you don't need to spend half your life on forums wondering why the BDA just moved the goal posts and made everyone's life difficult yet again.

With the greatest of respect, it seems that the majority of people moaning about this that or the other are those struggling with ISO rips and particularly (for reasons I really can't fathom), menus etc etc etc.

Those of us using MKVs just seem to keep our heads down and enjoy watching great movies.

I used iso format as prior to getting a zidoo I'd put on disc. I only do main movie though. And I'm just doing it for movie enhancement reasons. If I want the menu, or extras, I'll put in the disc. The only time I did want a menu was a HDDVD I converted. I wish I could have converted the whole thing to blu ray or some other format. I don't even know what the menu on it looks like! I really wish I could figure how to do a full conversion of that. I really do.

Is there a register somewhere of what movies need forced subs? I mean a lot of the ones I've don't don't need any. But some movies have a few scenes that need them. Like The Martian, Solo. Typically I choose every English subtitle and keep it, but maybe sometimes I didn't if it didn't select. Need to figure which I need to fix. Sigh.
post #1145 of 1557 Old 05-09-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:

Is there a register somewhere of what movies need forced subs? .
Try this

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2134580265
MOberhardt and dr4go like this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #1146 of 1557 Old 05-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Thank you so much!!!!
post #1147 of 1557 Old 05-10-2019, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If your current rips are in movie only ISO, possibly the easiest route to MKV is to mount the ISO (using MagicISO or similar) then drag the main & possibly only playlist file (usually 00000.mpls) found in the <BDMV\PLAYLIST> directory into MKVToolnix.

This will place the associated streams in MKVToolnix and you can choose which to mux out into an MKV.

I only take the video stream, the main audio stream, a forced or "foreign parts" sub track if present and chapters.

It's not always easy to identify the forced track depending how the original BDMV structure was made. I sometimes mux out just the sub tracks and inspect them with a program called Subtitle Edit, then it's easy to see.

Also, when you mux from MKVToolnix, make sure you flag the sub track as forced (little tick box).

Sounds like a right palaver. Honestly, it's not.
MOberhardt likes this.

post #1148 of 1557 Old 05-10-2019, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Ok, so what's the most stable software I should use to update my Z9S? and do i need to update it step by step or just plug in the newest version?
post #1149 of 1557 Old 05-10-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Ok, so what's the most stable software I should use to update my Z9S? and do i need to update it step by step or just plug in the newest version?

For me, the latest, v2.261 is extremely stable, not that any of the others have been particularly unstable in my experience.

There's no need to incrementally upgrade, you can just go from whatever version you have to the latest.

post #1150 of 1557 Old 05-10-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For me, the latest, v2.261 is extremely stable, not that any of the others have been particularly unstable in my experience.

There's no need to incrementally upgrade, you can just go from whatever version you have to the latest.
And you do it thru the thumb drive?
post #1151 of 1557 Old 05-10-2019, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:

When I upgraded to the latest version of the firmware (v2.261) the HT app lost alot of the manual movie matching I had done. Under setting in the HT app there is a poster wall backup.
Have you tried this before moving to a new release? Does the restore fully bring the new release up to where you left off in the old release with all the manual matched still in place?
Thanks
post #1152 of 1557 Old 05-10-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And you do it thru the thumb drive?

Yep - just put the file on a thumb drive, plug it in, either go to Apps/Update or Quick Setings\Upgrade\Update and choose USB Update.

post #1153 of 1557 Old 05-10-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
When I upgraded to the latest version of the firmware (v2.261) the HT app lost alot of the manual movie matching I had done. Under setting in the HT app there is a poster wall backup.
Have you tried this before moving to a new release? Does the restore fully bring the new release up to where you left off in the old release with all the manual matched still in place?
Thanks

Yes I have, and yes it does.

I've used backup and restore a few times and it's always worked flawlessly. Last time I did it I backed up HT2 in v2.1.30, reverted to v1.7.8, upgraded straight to v2.1.40 and restored the wall perfectly, and I have quite a few manual matches and coverart changes.
Lasalle likes this.

post #1154 of 1557 Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Yes I have, and yes it does.

I've used backup and restore a few times and it's always worked flawlessly. Last time I did it I backed up HT2 in v2.1.30, reverted to v1.7.8, upgraded straight to v2.1.40 and restored the wall perfectly, and I have quite a few manual matches and coverart changes.
Thank you, good to know. I won't be stepping on that rake anymore
mikela and markswift2003 like this.
post #1155 of 1557 Old 05-10-2019, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

No struggling with getting forced subs from HD/UHD BDMV folders with either the Dune Pro 4K or the Oppo 203.

But forced subs is just one of many ongoing issues with the Z9s .....not to mention poor seamless branching implementation, glitchy HD/UHD blu-Ray menu playback, obfuscated playlist issues.

Does this player do anything well except for MKV ?
‘Keeping your head down’, more like ‘blinkered’

And, the firmware releases for this player have become patchy and unreliable.
hellhero likes this.

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 05-10-2019 at 09:35 AM.
post #1156 of 1557 Old 05-10-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The poster doth protest too much, methinks.

post #1157 of 1557 Old 05-14-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a couple of questions:

1. It's annoying everytime i wanted to listen to music on the Zidoo with files i ripped MP3, it automatically goes online to look for 'album covers, etc'.. this could take minutes... can't i just click play and it just play? is there a setting to shut off that annoying look up?

2. Whenever I watch a movie, it automatically default to having subtitles.. i have to go and turn sub off manually.. again, can i set it so it doesn't do that?
post #1158 of 1557 Old 05-14-2019, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@Whirlpool0548
Do you recommend dune hd 4K pro instead?
Is it much more stable and working as expected on both mkvs and ISO’s? UHD BD and DVD?
I just bought a z9s and I would send it back in that case
Thanks in advance
post #1159 of 1557 Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
I have a couple of questions:

1. It's annoying everytime i wanted to listen to music on the Zidoo with files i ripped MP3, it automatically goes online to look for 'album covers, etc'.. this could take minutes... can't i just click play and it just play? is there a setting to shut off that annoying look up?

2. Whenever I watch a movie, it automatically default to having subtitles.. i have to go and turn sub off manually.. again, can i set it so it doesn't do that?
For #2 - The Setting is located under the main audio section in quick settings.
MOberhardt likes this.

Display: Optoma UHZ65 - Screen: DIY 114" AT Spandex (White over Black)
Receiver: Marantz SR7011 - Speakers: 7.4.4 All Paradigm with 4 DIY 15" Subs
Source: Zidoo X8, Roku Ultimate+, PS4 Pro
post #1160 of 1557 Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
@Whirlpool0548
Do you recommend dune hd 4K pro instead?
Is it much more stable and working as expected on both mkvs and ISO’s? UHD BD and DVD?
I just bought a z9s and I would send it back in that case
Thanks in advance
Try the Z9s with HD/UHD BDMV blu-Ray menus (and ISOs) check out the issues I mentioned, glitchy menu playback, poor seamless branching, missing forced subs etc. The Pro 4K is better than the Z9s for this material.

If you play a lot of DVDs, the Z9s has the better DVD engine, better than the Pro 4K’s.

Both players handle MKV OK.
MOberhardt likes this.
post #1161 of 1557 Old 05-15-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
Try the Z9s with HD/UHD BDMV blu-Ray menus (and ISOs) check out the issues I mentioned, glitchy menu playback, poor seamless branching, missing forced subs etc. The Pro 4K is better than the Z9s for this material.

If you play a lot of DVDs, the Z9s has the better DVD engine, better than the Pro 4K’s.

Both players handle MKV OK.
In summary, is Dune Pro 4K able to play UHD/BD iso with menu? Is better in both? Just DVD is better on Z9S? What aspects are better?
Many Thanks.
post #1162 of 1557 Old 05-15-2019, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In summary, is Dune Pro 4K able to play UHD/BD iso with menu? Is better in both? Just DVD is better on Z9S? What aspects are better?
Many Thanks.
Yes Dune Pro 4K is better with playback of HD/UHD BD ISO with menu, but the DVD engine is not as well developed
DVD is better on the Z9s.
post #1163 of 1557 Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 AM

No stuttering in 23.976fps? I heard there is a little in some modes.
post #1164 of 1557 Old 05-15-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many Thanks.
I have both players. I tend to use the Z9S most of the time as it has a very good movie and TV scraper. The Dunes is pretty poor.

I use the Dune for the few disks that have issue with the menu. As stated the Z9S has issues with seamless branching. I've found some disks are fine but others you notice the join. I get very few of these so not a great burden - again I would use the Dune. Lack of forced subs in BDMV\ISO is more of a pain as I don't always know its required until you there is a scene with some foreign dialogue and no subs and not knowing if its supposed to be that way or not!

As you can see neither player ticks all the boxes. By now I was hoping that I would have a one box solution - but I'm still playing one off against the other.

Also there are complaints that the Dune suffers from a frame skip every few minutes or so - it's not something I've ever noticed.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #1165 of 1557 Old 05-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
I have both players. I tend to use the Z9S most of the time as it has a very good movie and TV scraper. The Dunes is pretty poor.

I use the Dune for the few disks that have issue with the menu. As stated the Z9S has issues with seamless branching. I've found some disks are fine but others you notice the join. I get very few of these so not a great burden - again I would use the Dune. Lack of forced subs in BDMV\ISO is more of a pain as I don't always know its required until you there is a scene with some foreign dialogue and no subs and not knowing if its supposed to be that way or not!

As you can see neither player ticks all the boxes. By now I was hoping that I would have a one box solution - but I'm still playing one off against the other.

Also there are complaints that the Dune suffers from a frame skip every few minutes or so - it's not something I've ever noticed.
You need to make it clear............
“Lack of forced subs in BDMV\ISO is more of a pain.......” WITH THE Z9s
The Pro 4K does not have this issue.

If you are comparing box ticks, the Pro 4K only falls down on DVD playback.
(The frame skip issue is not something I’ve noticed either).

The main difference between the Pro 4K and the Z9s is that with HD/UHD ISO or BDMV folder playback you don’t have that uncertainty as to whether the movie is going to play without issues, rather than watching the start of the movie and realising it has just skipped to chapter 2 or omitted the menu or during a foreign dialogue section subtitles are missing, or there are momentary audio dropouts due to seamless branching.

It just plays flawlessly.
post #1166 of 1557 Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
You need to make it clear............
“Lack of forced subs in BDMV\ISO is more of a pain.......” WITH THE Z9s
The Pro 4K does not have this issue.

If you are comparing box ticks, the Pro 4K only falls down on DVD playback.
(The frame skip issue is not something I’ve noticed either).

The main difference between the Pro 4K and the Z9s is that with HD/UHD ISO or BDMV folder playback you don’t have that uncertainty as to whether the movie is going to play without issues, rather than watching the start of the movie and realising it has just skipped to chapter 2 or omitted the menu or during a foreign dialogue section subtitles are missing, or there are momentary audio dropouts due to seamless branching.

It just plays flawlessly.
Thank you for your patience.
Can you please provide more details on what is wrong with DVD playback?
post #1167 of 1557 Old 05-16-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for your patience.
Can you please provide more details on what is wrong with DVD playback?
This quote from a post on the Pro 4k forum gives an idea of the issues....
“However, DVD picture quality is absolutely terrible, with poor color, pixilation and aspect ratio handling. It looks like when you try to play a DVD/VOB the Pro 4K uses some sort of Android DVD decoder”.

I rarely play DVDs these days, so not an issue for me, but I want trouble free playback of HD/UHD of BDMV folders and the Pro4k does that.
post #1168 of 1557 Old 05-17-2019, 04:57 AM

I read that seamless branching was fixed in 2.1.40 beta:
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thre...release.45221/
Specifically:
Quote:
7. Fixed the issue of audio jump for some special playlists for Bluray(About seamless branching issue).
Isn't that true? Not all cases are covered?

Regarding not working forced subtitles, is it sufficient to select it manually to solve?
post #1169 of 1557 Old 05-17-2019, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Does anyone know if there is a way to automatically rebuild collections in the home theater 2.0 app? When I initially added all my movies, I disbanded all the automatically generated collections, because it was much easier to find and fix mismatched movies without digging through the collections, but now that I have all (500+) of my movies tagged correctly, I want to automatically generate the collections again, because building them manually will be a huge pain.
post #1170 of 1557 Old 05-17-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I read that seamless branching was fixed in 2.1.40 beta:
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thre...release.45221/
Specifically:
Quote:
7. Fixed the issue of audio jump for some special playlists for Bluray(About seamless branching issue).
Isn't that true? Not all cases are covered?

Regarding not working forced subtitles, is it sufficient to select it manually to solve?
They did something - as for me some seamless branching movies work ok, but others still have a momentary glitch. So they have improved the situation but not totally fixed it. Problem with forced subs is that, in my experience, you can't select them via the BD menu. It's a pain as you really need to remux to MKV after adding the forced subs - as forced subs will work in MKV on the Zidoo. These two areas the Dune is perfect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page