New Zidoo Z9S and Z10 (RTD1296 SoC) - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 470Likes

post #1381 of 1556 Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
Looks like they're at it again...

Where did you find this?

What's interesting is that it mentions XMOS hardware decoding not Realtek, so wonder if they have moved away from current chipset for this....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1556 Old 06-02-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
Where did you find this?

What's interesting is that it mentions XMOS hardware decoding not Realtek, so wonder if they have moved away from current chipset for this....

Found here:

https://vk.com/clubzidoo

I presume XMOS decoding refers to the audio section - I think it safe to assume it's still based on the Realtek 1296 SOC with additional outboard audio handling.

Zidoo Z9S | Dune Pro 4K | HDFury Vertex | 32TB mirrored storage
Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
A pair of slippers, a comfy sofa and a glass of 16 year old single malt
post #1383 of 1556 Old 06-02-2019, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Found here:

https://vk.com/clubzidoo

I presume XMOS decoding refers to the audio section - I think it safe to assume it's still based on the Realtek 1296 SOC with additional outboard audio handling.
Yeah, found a post about it on the Zidoo forum. The XMOS is to enable use of USB interface out of Realtek RTD 1296 to the DAC to bypass some of the limitations of using I2S for high bitrate PCM/DSD.

End of the day it will come down the overall design and software implementation how good it really is. Would be interesting for someone like Amirm from Audio Science Review to measure it on his test equipment to see how good the hardware design is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 1556 Old 06-02-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
Yeah, found a post about it on the Zidoo forum. The XMOS is to enable use of USB interface out of Realtek RTD 1296 to the DAC to bypass some of the limitations of using I2S for high bitrate PCM/DSD.

End of the day it will come down the overall design and software implementation how good it really is. Would be interesting for someone like Amirm from Audio Science Review to measure it on his test equipment to see how good the hardware design is.

My opinion is if you're seriously into audio, you won't be buying a "media player" for it.

I use Linn DS for music and wouldn't dream of using a media player. Horses for courses again...

But that's just me
Apgood and dr4go like this.

Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
post #1385 of 1556 Old 06-02-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
My opinion is if you're seriously into audio, you won't be buying a "media player" for it.

I use Linn DS for music and wouldn't dream of using a media player. Horses for courses again...

But that's just me

Single malt and a Linnie too!
markswift2003 and dr4go like this.
post #1386 of 1556 Old 06-03-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
I sent an email yesterday about:

1. Separate TV & Movie categories

2. User definable Categories

3. Adding movie properties (badges) at scrape time

4. Show Audio & Video codecs in movie properties

I got this reply:

"Thanks for your suggestion, all of them will be feedback to engineers and hope it could be acheived.

But some of advice, like point 3, we are afraid it might not be acheived, as it could only know exact properties after it is played.

If there is update for HT2, we will inform you."

Shame about point 3, but that would seem to indicate that HT2, being a separate application, does not hook mediaInfo, but the player does.
On point 3 I noticed that Infuse on the Apple 4K TV has no issues in reporting full video and audio info for MKV, BDMV and ISO - for HD and UHD titles - without needing playback first. So its obviously possible. However it does report Atmos as TrueHD 7.1.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #1387 of 1556 Old 06-03-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
On point 3 I noticed that Infuse on the Apple 4K TV has no issues in reporting full video and audio info for MKV, BDMV and ISO - for HD and UHD titles - without needing playback first. So its obviously possible. However it does report Atmos as TrueHD 7.1.

It just requires a bit more code - something like mediaInfo to open each media file as it scans (as yaDis does with the mediaInfo dll).

The Zidoo player itself calls mediaInfo which is why it can then report back into HT2 and provide the info screens but it obviously isn't called by HT2, but I'm not sure why it couldn't be.

post #1388 of 1556 Old 06-04-2019, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm having constant issue with USB disconnections on Z9S; they are random but happen at least once while watching an hour program. I've tried both USB 3.0 ports. The program freezes, when i exit sometimes the posters have just disappeared or other times i get a message to say the HT2 has crashed. I reboot the box and it all comes back. It is getting very annoying now, the drive is a WD 3TB passport.

Would a powered USB hub help?

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
post #1389 of 1556 Old 06-04-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:

But that's just me
Do you use the DAC in the Linn DS? I'm using the DAC of my Trinnov. Almost all of my multi-channel Audio is in iso (BD, BD-Audio,SCAD,DVD-Audio).
I'm transferring the bitstream from the Ziddo and for the ones the Zidoo has problems with an OPPO. On the Quad recordings I'm using the OPPO multi-channel PCM (Auro-3D Auromatic will not upmix a Quad bitstream and I have not figured out how to force the Zidoo into multi-channel PCM). The extra shielding on the Zidoo clock chips seems to be solid. I'm not sure what the advantage is of a dedicated player if you are not using the DAC. Am I missing something?
post #1390 of 1556 Old 06-04-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
Do you use the DAC in the Linn DS? I'm using the DAC of my Trinnov. Almost all of my multi-channel Audio is in iso (BD, BD-Audio,SCAD,DVD-Audio).
I'm transferring the bitstream from the Ziddo and for the ones the Zidoo has problems with an OPPO. On the Quad recordings I'm using the OPPO multi-channel PCM (Auro-3D Auromatic will not upmix a Quad bitstream and I have not figured out how to force the Zidoo into multi-channel PCM). The extra shielding on the Zidoo clock chips seems to be solid. I'm not sure what the advantage is of a dedicated player if you are not using the DAC. Am I missing something?

Yes, I do use the Linn DAC as I assume it's of better quality than the amp, but either way it sounds stunning.

I also use Squeezebox for multi-room around the house and have a Transporter, which is good, but sounds very thin compared to the Linn..

post #1391 of 1556 Old 06-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I have a single 10TB USB drive connected to Z9S. Over the months I've been ripping my disc collection to it. Initially I was not concerned about a backup because the discs themselves are a backup, in a sense. But now that I'm pretty deep into this, I think about the time and labor to re-rip everything if the drive fails.

So I'm thinking about adding a second drive as a backup. I see there is some sort of backup function in the Zidoo, but it's unclear to me what it does. I think it's more of a system backup, but I'm not sure.

Can I buy a second 10TB drive and use that function to have some sort of automatic, periodic backup of the existing media drive? If not, can anyone recommend an Android application that would be good contender for doing that?
post #1392 of 1556 Old 06-04-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Why not just get at the very least a basic Raid 1 NAS?... so a backup is automatically performed everytime you write to it?
Actionable Mango and blenky like this.
post #1393 of 1556 Old 06-05-2019, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Why not just get at the very least a basic Raid 1 NAS?... so a backup is automatically performed everytime you write to it?
Yes that's a reasonable route, but not for me. Here are my reasons:

1. RAID is not a backup. That is a common misconception and there are important differences. RAID is redundancy that protects against HDD failure only.

For example if I do a bunch of management and screw things up, or accidentally erase the drive or something, with a backup available there is something to restore from. With a RAID, the screwups are instantly mirrored in real-time on the redundant drive. Admittedly my main goal for backing up IS to protect against HDD failure, which RAID does, but I'd rather have a backup than RAID.

I've done RAID twice before and the complexity adds its own problems. For example the RAID enclosure itself becomes a single point of failure. If it fails, you lose access to both drives. In some cases RAID can also have weird formatting that prevents it from being usable if you hook up a drive directly to the host.

With separate USB drives, if one HDD enclosure fails, the other is still working. And both drives have formatting native to the host device.

2. Existing capability / Simplicity. The Zidoo already features NAS. Why would I buy another one? I already have one 10TB USB drive. I plugged in the drive and enabled SAMBA. BAM...network attached storage. Simple and clean.

Buying another NAS means spending more money duplicating something I already have. It means another device to power, learn, configure, troubleshoot, and maintain with updates. I see a lot of negatives and very little benefit.

3. Cost. I'm looking at simply adding a second USB drive to the Zidoo. That's much cheaper than a NAS with an equivalent size internal drive.

-------------------

So having been down this road before, this time I'd just like to have a second drive and some app to do a periodic backup from one to the other.
MOberhardt and markswift2003 like this.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 06-05-2019 at 05:40 PM.
post #1394 of 1556 Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

1. RAID is not a backup. That is a common misconception and there are important differences. RAID is redundancy that protects against HDD failure only.

For example if I do a bunch of management and screw things up, or accidentally erase the drive or something, with a backup available there is something to restore from. With a RAID, the screwups are instantly mirrored in real-time on the redundant drive. Admittedly my main goal for backing up IS to protect against HDD failure, which RAID does, but I'd rather have a backup than RAID.

I've done RAID twice before and the complexity adds its own problems. For example the RAID enclosure itself becomes a single point of failure. If it fails, you lose access to both drives. In some cases RAID can also have weird formatting that prevents it from being usable if you hook up a drive directly to the host.

With separate USB drives, if one HDD enclosure fails, the other is still working. And both drives have formatting native to the host device.

2. Existing capability / Simplicity. The Zidoo already features NAS. Why would I buy another one? I already have one 10TB USB drive. I plugged in the drive and enabled SAMBA. BAM...network attached storage. Simple and clean.

Buying another NAS means spending more money duplicating something I already have. It means another device to power, learn, configure, troubleshoot, and maintain with updates. I see a lot of negatives and very little benefit.

3. Cost. I'm looking at simply adding a second USB drive to the Zidoo. That's much cheaper than a NAS with an equivalent size internal drive.

-------------------

So having been down this road before, this time I'd just like to have a second drive and some app to do a periodic backup from one to the other.
I agree on the raid NAS. I have had issue before and lost contents, even with mirrored raid (couln't get anything offf the drives when the unit died).

I haven't really come up with a good system myself, and currently work on the basis of manual redundancy, so manually copy the media to multiple external drives. It would be nice to have something to regularly check it or something. This is another reason I prefer pressed optical media for my entertainment... My other redundancy is just rebuilding the remuxes if I ever need to. My music and pictures, I do have an online backup. For video, it just isn't feasible.
Actionable Mango likes this.
post #1395 of 1556 Old 06-06-2019, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

-------------------

Some very good points raised.

Exactly the reasons I use (or did until recently) Western Digital My Cloud single drive NAS drives - one with the movies and one as a backup - currently I have 8x4TB drives for 2K movies (inc backups) and 4x8TB for 4K (inc backups).

When I copy a movie over to one, I simply copy it the other at the same time. One drive goes down, I switch to the backup and immediately replace the faulty one. That's happened twice to me now.

Stupidly, Western Digital have recently replaced their My Cloud drives with My Cloud Home drives which means you lose all NAS functionality - no ability to create and manage shares - it's all managed in the cloud now with their crazy proprietary system, so I'm currently looking for a new solution.

RAID can be a solution as long as you're careful about it - something like the Western Digital My Cloud EX2 configured as RAID 1 is fine - if a drive goes down you can slap a new one in and it rebuilds, and if the enclosure goes down it can be replaced. If all else fails each disc can be mounted and read as Linux partitions (I think they're EXT4).

But simplest and safest is two separate NAS drives - and they don't have to be collocated either.

post #1396 of 1556 Old 06-06-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 97
GUI Refresh Rate for ZDMC Question

I can set 23 (23.976) for the Z9S display refresh rate in quick setting. However, I can not match it in the ZDMC interface that only lists 24.000. Is there a way to add the 23 (23.976) choice to the ZDMC so it shows up under Display / System / Refresh Rate? I don't want ZDMC to change the refresh rate when started. I would like to match the setting for the Z9S so it has no reason to change. I would also like to have it 23 so it will again not need to be changed for most bluray/4K content on playback.

I want to minimize refresh rate changes as my projector is slow to adapt. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
post #1397 of 1556 Old 06-06-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp View Post
GUI Refresh Rate for ZDMC Question

I can set 23 (23.976) for the Z9S display refresh rate in quick setting. However, I can not match it in the ZDMC interface that only lists 24.000. Is there a way to add the 23 (23.976) choice to the ZDMC so it shows up under Display / System / Refresh Rate? I don't want ZDMC to change the refresh rate when started. I would like to match the setting for the Z9S so it has no reason to change. I would also like to have it 23 so it will again not need to be changed for most bluray/4K content on playback.

I want to minimize refresh rate changes as my projector is slow to adapt. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Have you tried setting "Ignore EDID" to <on> in developer options?

This used to be required to bring up 4K23 as an option in Zidoo quick settings, but it will still be needed for ZDMC - there is certainly a 4K23 option in ZDMC on the X9S (I don't have it installed on the Z9S) if it is set.

post #1398 of 1556 Old 06-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Some very good points raised.

Exactly the reasons I use (or did until recently) Western Digital My Cloud single drive NAS drives - one with the movies and one as a backup - currently I have 8x4TB drives for 2K movies (inc backups) and 4x8TB for 4K (inc backups).

When I copy a movie over to one, I simply copy it the other at the same time. One drive goes down, I switch to the backup and immediately replace the faulty one. That's happened twice to me now.

Stupidly, Western Digital have recently replaced their My Cloud drives with My Cloud Home drives which means you lose all NAS functionality - no ability to create and manage shares - it's all managed in the cloud now with their crazy proprietary system, so I'm currently looking for a new solution.

RAID can be a solution as long as you're careful about it - something like the Western Digital My Cloud EX2 configured as RAID 1 is fine - if a drive goes down you can slap a new one in and it rebuilds, and if the enclosure goes down it can be replaced. If all else fails each disc can be mounted and read as Linux partitions (I think they're EXT4).

But simplest and safest is two separate NAS drives - and they don't have to be collocated either.
I might need to look into that. So the cloud stuff is more management?
post #1399 of 1556 Old 06-06-2019, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
I might need to look into that. So the cloud stuff is more management?

The new My Cloud Home drives are a piece of s**t.

I bought two thinking they were just an upgrade to the My Clouds but they've completely changed the way they work - supposedly for home users. They went straight back to Amazon.

They're not true NAS drives anymore - You can't create local shares for example, which is just madness - all you can do is log into the MyCloud website and create a URL link.
There's no dashboard, no controls.

It's basically like dropbox without all the features..

I'm testing an EX2 at the moment which seems ok, but has issues with sleep mode.

post #1400 of 1556 Old 06-07-2019, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
… there is certainly a 4K23 option in ZDMC on the X9S (I don't have it installed on the Z9S) if it is set.
So I feel sheepish. Turns out I had installed the "release" apk from the main zidoo advert/download page and that is version 17.6. A newer Version 17.6.1 from GitHub as found via their support forum has a "Fix 23.976 framerate output". That is the only thing in its one line change log but I did notice the apk for the newer version is much smaller. After installing 17.6.1 the option 23.98 shows in the system settings now. Also want to give a shout out to the add-on "Backup" that allowed me to make a backup of my 17.6 zdmc and restore it after I updated to 17.6.1 (since it required a delete of the original 17.6). I mention just in case someone else figures out they have the older version. See post:
Here Worked great.

They really should really have the newer version on their release download page from their main site. Oh well. Search and ye shall find I guess.
post #1401 of 1556 Old 06-07-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp View Post
So I feel sheepish. Turns out I had installed the "release" apk from the main zidoo advert/download page and that is version 17.6. A newer Version 17.6.1 from GitHub as found via their support forum has a "Fix 23.976 framerate output". That is the only thing in its one line change log but I did notice the apk for the newer version is much smaller. After installing 17.6.1 the option 23.98 shows in the system settings now. Also want to give a shout out to the add-on "Backup" that allowed me to make a backup of my 17.6 zdmc and restore it after I updated to 17.6.1 (since it required a delete of the original 17.6). I mention just in case someone else figures out they have the older version. See post:
Here Worked great.

They really should really have the newer version on their release download page from their main site. Oh well. Search and ye shall find I guess.

Cool - glad it's sorted.

ZDMC has been deprecated and unsupported since they moved to HT2, so I guess that's why it needs a bit of sniffing out.

Last edited by markswift2003; 06-07-2019 at 05:53 AM.
post #1402 of 1556 Old 06-07-2019, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

-------------------

But is the speed of copying/backing up filew.from one HDD to the other (both connected) on Zidoo very slow? Thanks
post #1403 of 1556 Old 06-07-2019, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Here is what I found:

.flac 24-96 stereo. YES (but doesn’t show kHz)
.flac 24-196 stereo. YES (but doesn’t show kHz)
.flac 24-88.2 stereo. YES (at 88.2 kHz)
.flac 24-176,4 stereo. YES (at 176,4 kHz)
.flac 24-96 multichannel. YES (but doesn’t show kHz)

.dsf DSD64 stereo. YES (at 176,4 kHz)
.dsf DSD128 stereo. YES (at 88.2 kHz)
.dsf DSD256 stereo. YES (at 44.1 kHz)

.dsf DSD64 multichannel. NO
SACD ISO multichannel. YES and NO (but only in stereo at 176,4 kHz)

How do I make Zidoo Z9S to play DSD or SACD multichannel music?!
post #1404 of 1556 Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumy View Post
But is the speed of copying/backing up filew.from one HDD to the other (both connected) on Zidoo very slow? Thanks
I have not tested on the Zidoo because my second drive has not arrived yet.

From previous experience on a typical PC, the initial (full) backup takes a lot of time because it is all of the existing content and 5400rpm hard drives are slow. However, from that point on, the incremental backups are fairly quick because it only those files which are new or changed.

It doesn't really matter to me, as it's not a process I need to sit there for. I would schedule it for when I am at work or sleeping.
post #1405 of 1556 Old 06-10-2019, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

For some reason my LG TV stopped doing ARC, so there was no audio from my Denon AVR when using the TV as an audio source.

I checked all of the audio, HDMI, ARC, and CEC settings in both the LG TV and the Denon AVR. All were correct.

On a hunch I turned off the Zidoo Z9S, and ARC started working immediately. So unfortunately there is something about the Zidoo being active that prevents my TV's ARC from working, even when the TV is selected as the Audio source and not the Zidoo.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a fix or workaround? I prefer to keep the Zidoo on.
post #1406 of 1556 Old 06-11-2019, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For some reason my LG TV stopped doing ARC, so there was no audio from my Denon AVR when using the TV as an audio source.

I checked all of the audio, HDMI, ARC, and CEC settings in both the LG TV and the Denon AVR. All were correct.

On a hunch I turned off the Zidoo Z9S, and ARC started working immediately. So unfortunately there is something about the Zidoo being active that prevents my TV's ARC from working, even when the TV is selected as the Audio source and not the Zidoo.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a fix or workaround? I prefer to keep the Zidoo on.

Are you leaving the Denon on the Z9S source input while using the TV's internal sources?

If so, choose an empty input, ie one with no HDMI connected to it, when you watch TV directly otherwise the physical input on the Denon will override ARC.

post #1407 of 1556 Old 06-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you leaving the Denon on the Z9S source input while using the TV's internal sources?

If so, choose an empty input, ie one with no HDMI connected to it, when you watch TV directly otherwise the physical input on the Denon will override ARC.
1. No, in the Denon I have the TV selected as the audio source (HDMI OUT/ARC).
2. I'm not really understanding this suggestion. On the Denon, choosing an empty HDMI input instead of the TV HDMI ARC as a source would ensure no audio from the TV because the TV isn't selected as the audio source.
post #1408 of 1556 Old 06-11-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. No, in the Denon I have the TV selected as the audio source (HDMI OUT/ARC).
2. I'm not really understanding this suggestion. On the Denon, choosing an empty HDMI input instead of the TV HDMI ARC as a source would ensure no audio from the TV because the TV isn't selected as the audio source.

I had a similar situation with ARC on a Denon with active HDMI inputs overriding ARC and the solution was to choose an "empty" input - but... I think this was an older amp which had ARC but didn't have a dedicated "TV Audio" input..

I just checked on my 7200 connected to a Sammy TV with the Zidoo on one of the HDMI inputs ("Game") and ARC works perfectly with the Zidoo switched on when selecting "TV Audio" as the source.

So have I got this right - you're choosing "TV Audio" as the input source on the Denon and the Zidoo, connected to for example, "DVD" or "Game" or suchlike is overriding ARC when switched on?

post #1409 of 1556 Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had a similar situation with ARC on a Denon with active HDMI inputs overriding ARC and the solution was to choose an "empty" input - but... I think this was an older amp which had ARC but didn't have a dedicated "TV Audio" input..

I just checked on my 7200 connected to a Sammy TV with the Zidoo on one of the HDMI inputs ("Game") and ARC works perfectly with the Zidoo switched on when selecting "TV Audio" as the source.

So have I got this right - you're choosing "TV Audio" as the input source on the Denon and the Zidoo, connected to for example, "DVD" or "Game" or suchlike is overriding ARC when switched on?
I have TV Input selected on the Denon, which is the HDMI OUT/ARC port.
  • If the Zidoo is off, everything works fine.
  • If the Zidoo is on, there is no audio from the TV (or any other type of control, such as power, volume, etc).
    To be clear, it's not overriding the input selection on the Denon--the input selection still says TV Input.
  • Regardless of whether the Zidoo is off or on, all other HDMI inputs have audio just fine (BD player, Apple TV, XBOX) when they are selected as the source.

On further research, I see other people with similar problems:
I'd prefer to keep the Zidoo on 24x7, so I might try one of the solutions posted (a cable that doesn't pass through CEC).

EDIT - Found more information:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...13-remove.html

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 06-11-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #1410 of 1556 Old 06-11-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have TV Input selected on the Denon, which is the HDMI OUT/ARC port.
  • If the Zidoo is off, everything works fine.
  • If the Zidoo is on, there is no audio from the TV (or any other type of control, such as power, volume, etc).
    To be clear, it's not overriding the input selection on the Denon--the input selection still says TV Input.
  • Regardless of whether the Zidoo is off or on, all other HDMI inputs have audio just fine (BD player, Apple TV, XBOX) when they are selected as the source.

On further research, I see other people with similar problems:I'd prefer to keep the Zidoo on 24x7, so I might try one of the solutions posted (a cable that doesn't pass through CEC).

That was my next suggestion...The many and varied vagaries of HDMI and CEC it would seem!

I must admit along with turning every possible image processing setting off, the other thing I always do in any setup is turn anything to do with CEC off too - it just never works as you expect!

Lindy do a CEC-less adapter:

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapt...-to-male-p7299

(just realised you're in Seattle - so that may not help )

Last edited by markswift2003; 06-11-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page