New Zidoo Z9S and Z10 (RTD1296 SoC) - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 470Likes

post #1441 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
Brilliant!

Still got your blinkers firmly strapped on I see.
No too dissimilar from yourself, just slightly better able to see the wood for the trees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
No too dissimilar from yourself, just slightly better able to see the wood for the trees.
Actually, I may be "in the bark", but I just want to play the movie without all the trimmings. I use a server for storage capacity. To each is own.
mikela and jherring69 like this.
post #1443 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
i'm thinking about purchasing a z9s and the movie gui interface looks surprisingly nice (movie cover art etc.), i would like to use it instead of kodi if possible, do most zidoo owners use this built-in interface or do they go with a another one? also, if it has trouble identifying a ripped movie, is it easy to manually add the movie?
HT2 is pretty good and easy to use as works in real time and is pretty accurate fist time

However there are a few issues and I have a couple of feature requests.

Unlike all other Movie walls it does not allow you either designate a source by type (Movie or TV) and unlike Infuse for the ATV which does this split on its own. Therefore you are presented with one wall that has both TV and Movies mixed in. I find this annoying but if you watch mostly movies won't be an issue.

It does not scan the media for audio\video formats until you actually play the movie\tv file.

I have fed these and other issues with HT2 back to Zidoo and maybe one day they will get incorporated

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
HT2 is pretty good and easy to use as works in real time and is pretty accurate fist time

Unlike all other Movie walls it does not allow you either designate a source by type (Movie or TV) and unlike Infuse for the ATV which does this split on its own. Therefore you are presented with one wall that has both TV and Movies mixed in. I find this annoying but if you watch mostly movies won't be an issue.

It does not scan the media for audio\video formats until you actually play the movie\tv file.

I have fed these and other issues with HT2 back to Zidoo and maybe one day they will get incorporated
And in your dreams, they’ll also fix seamless branching, forced subs etc.
post #1445 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy1 View Post
Actually, I may be "in the bark", but I just want to play the movie without all the trimmings. I use a server for storage capacity. To each is own.
I also use a server for storage capacity, and want my whole movie collection to be accurately rendered, not just the MKVs. Sorry, should have said flawlessly rendered.
post #1446 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
One of the main reasons for playing from a media server is to be able to flawlessly play a collection including movies with blu-Ray menus, playlists, forced subs, obfuscated playlists...
that's certainly not on my list of "main reasons", in fact i have zero interest in any of that, if i did i would just use my oppo udp-203 and be done with it...
post #1447 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post

thanks, very helpful!

so the categories that can be seen in the green circle are created by ht2 and can't be edited in any way (removed, text edited, etc.)? if that's the case, how does ht2 determine what movies go into the "children" category for example?

post #1448 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
thanks, very helpful!

so the categories that can be seen in the green circle are created by ht2 and can't be edited in any way (removed, text edited, etc.)? if that's the case, how does ht2 determine what movies go into the "children" category for example?

Correct, those categories can't be changed in any way. I believe the children category is determined by what rating level (G, PG, PG-13, etc.) that you set the child lock to in the HT2 settings. Anything below the threshold shows up in there.
post #1449 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwort93 View Post
Correct, those categories can't be changed in any way. I believe the children category is determined by what rating level (G, PG, PG-13, etc.) that you set the child lock to in the HT2 settings. Anything below the threshold shows up in there.
Granted I am using an X9s, but the HT2 works the same I believe..... but FWIW, I have found that the Childrens category is more basic than that .... It only will show any movies that you "haven't" manually locked as being "unavailable for children". It does not seem to work with the rating level that you may set in the settings for child lock per se..... At least I couldn't get it to work in the past... maybe in this latest version of HT2? I haven't bothered to test it anymore...
post #1450 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Granted I am using an X9s, but the HT2 works the same I believe..... but FWIW, I have found that the Childrens category is more basic than that .... It only will show any movies that you "haven't" manually locked as being "unavailable for children". It does not seem to work with the rating level that you may set in the settings for child lock per se..... At least I couldn't get it to work in the past... maybe in this latest version of HT2? I haven't bothered to test it anymore...

That's exactly how it works, which is kind of useless - if it's going to be based on locking, at least titles should be selected to be in the Children's category rather than having to "lock" everything that's not.

The 4K category is also useless - since mediaInfo is not part of the scraper, only the player, movies will only be flagged as 4K and hence enter that category once they've been played and identified as such.

The BluRay category should populate correctly as that's dependent on file structure rather than header data, and similarly 3D is based on file extension I believe (I don't use 3D).

TV is self explanatory, based on the scraper results.

These categories are definitely an area where HT2 needs a bit of work.

Zidoo Z9S | Dune Pro 4K | HDFury Vertex | 32TB mirrored storage
Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
A pair of slippers, a comfy sofa and a glass of 16 year old single malt
post #1451 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's exactly how it works, which is kind of useless - if it's going to be based on locking, at least titles should be selected to be in the Children's category rather than having to "lock" everything that's not.

The 4K category is also useless - since mediaInfo is not part of the scraper, only the player, movies will only be flagged as 4K and hence enter that category once they've been played and identified as such.

The BluRay category should populate correctly as that's dependent on file structure rather than header data, and similarly 3D is based on file extension I believe (I don't use 3D).

TV is self explanatory, based on the scraper results.

These categories are definitely an area where HT2 needs a bit of work.
so for most users the categories section tends to be sporadically populated and/or not worth using so most everyone just uses the wall?
post #1452 of 1555 Old 06-19-2019, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so for most users the categories section tends to be sporadically populated and/or not worth using so most everyone just uses the wall?

Some are handy - I'll occasionally use "Collection", "Unwatched" or "Recently Added", but on the whole I just tend to use "All" and have them in order of the last added.

Filters can be handy too - genre, year etc..

I seem to be the exception, and I think this harks back to K days, but I like to see as many posters as possible, and the Zidoo is the only built in scraper I've seem that allows a 5x14 video wall - there are 4 settings between 2x4 and 5x14 and it scrolls and focusses quickly and smoothly.

You can also set it to start up on the wall too, another small but nice touch that makes a big difference in a dedicated room for example, where you have macros set to bring the room up.

Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
post #1453 of 1555 Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Some are handy - I'll occasionally use "Collection", "Unwatched" or "Recently Added", but on the whole I just tend to use "All" and have them in order of the last added.

Filters can be handy too - genre, year etc..

I seem to be the exception, and I think this harks back to K days, but I like to see as many posters as possible, and the Zidoo is the only built in scraper I've seem that allows a 5x14 video wall - there are 4 settings between 2x4 and 5x14 and it scrolls and focusses quickly and smoothly.

You can also set it to start up on the wall too, another small but nice touch that makes a big difference in a dedicated room for example, where you have macros set to bring the room up.
honestly, i'm really liking what i'm hearing and seeing, like you i also prefer seeing a gui populated with a bunch of posters as opposed to a lot of blank real estate in between left to right scrolling posters broken out into different categories, i mean that's what these front-ends are all about, eye candy right?

there are a few cosmetic stylings that i'm not too wild about tho, nothing major by any means, but i'm not crazy about the rounded poster corners and a couple of other minor things... with kodi, plex and emby little things like this could easily be edited by toying with the css file(s) in the apk or install location, my guess is it's probably the same with ht2, altho i recently checked out the zidoo_poster.apk and not much is going on in the lone css file, so rather than edit some lines it may involve adding a few lines, shouldn't be too tough.

btw i pm'd a member who had mentioned that he used a vertex and lumagen with his zidoo, the same equipment i have, i asked him how he had his vertex configured and he shared his settings with me, but added that he has a very unique install (and he does!) and recommended that i reach out to you because you also use a vertex as well.... so how what does your video chain look like and how are you using your vertex with the zidoo? thanks!
post #1454 of 1555 Old 06-20-2019, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
honestly, i'm really liking what i'm hearing and seeing, like you i also prefer seeing a gui populated with a bunch of posters as opposed to a lot of blank real estate in between left to right scrolling posters broken out into different categories, i mean that's what these front-ends are all about, eye candy right?

there are a few cosmetic stylings that i'm not too wild about tho, nothing major by any means, but i'm not crazy about the rounded poster corners and a couple of other minor things... with kodi, plex and emby little things like this could easily be edited by toying with the css file(s) in the apk or install location, my guess is it's probably the same with ht2, altho i recently checked out the zidoo_poster.apk and not much is going on in the lone css file, so rather than edit some lines it may involve adding a few lines, shouldn't be too tough.

btw i pm'd a member who had mentioned that he used a vertex and lumagen with his zidoo, the same equipment i have, i asked him how he had his vertex configured and he shared his settings with me, but added that he has a very unique install (and he does!) and recommended that i reach out to you because you also use a vertex as well.... so how what does your video chain look like and how are you using your vertex with the zidoo? thanks!

I'm the same with rounded corners! But the smaller you go, the less the rounding and at 5x14 they're not rounded at all.

I think there's very little you can do with external customisation and this is where the Dune wins out with a very comprehensive skinning scheme. You can change the wallpaper on the Zidoo (which I've done to match the Dune skin) and that's about it. Must admit, I didn't think of looking into the apk though....

So the way I have my setup is I use a Dune Pro 4K for 2K material and the Zidoo exclusively for 4K. I have the Dune comprehensively skinned to lose the "My First Media Player" look - fortunately the Zidoo doesn't have this problem!

I don't need the Vertex for the Dune, only the Zidoo, so I have the following Zidoo chain:

Zidoo > 15cm HDMI > Vertex > 75cm HDMI > Denon 8500 > 15M HDMI > JVC X7000

I have the Zidoo set as follows:

HDMI Mode: 3840x2160P23
HDR: SDR mapping HDR
Deep Color: 10-Bit
Color Space: YCbCr 444
HDMI Range: 15-235

The Vertex is set to EDID 11, no scaling, Disable HDR, OSD disabled - config file attached.

I have SDR mapping HDR set so the Zidoo always outputs HDR, even the gui and 90% of material is HDR so for me, this means no PJ resyncs.

In this mode, HDR passes through and SDR material is mapped from Rec.709 to BT.2020 (which is just maths) and presumably an inverse PQ curve of sorts is applied.

I have the Vertex OSD off since it has popped up a couple of times during play - not sure why, I have "ignore metadata change" set, but I find it a bit intrusive anyway and have RS232 control, so I can bring the OSD up manually if needed.

Disable HDR is because it's a JVC projector so I have my own custom gamma curves - in fact I've honed it to the point I just need the one these days.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Zidoo HDR Forced (4k 1K macro no switching, no OSD).txt (6.9 KB, 13 views)

post #1455 of 1555 Old 06-20-2019, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm the same with rounded corners! But the smaller you go, the less the rounding and at 5x14 they're not rounded at all.
yes, i noticed that, no corner rounding on smaller posters, which made me wonder why zidoo decided not to keep that look throughout... anyway, again no big deal, and i think i can apply a few tweaks by editing a file or two once i get my hands on it, should arrive tomorrow (friday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003
I think there's very little you can do with external customisation and this is where the Dune wins out with a very comprehensive skinning scheme. You can change the wallpaper on the Zidoo (which I've done to match the Dune skin) and that's about it. Must admit, I didn't think of looking into the apk though....

So the way I have my setup is I use a Dune Pro 4K for 2K material and the Zidoo exclusively for 4K. I have the Dune comprehensively skinned to lose the "My First Media Player" look - fortunately the Zidoo doesn't have this problem!

I don't need the Vertex for the Dune, only the Zidoo, so I have the following Zidoo chain:

Zidoo > 15cm HDMI > Vertex > 75cm HDMI > Denon 8500 > 15M HDMI > JVC X7000

I have the Zidoo set as follows:

HDMI Mode: 3840x2160P23
HDR: SDR mapping HDR
Deep Color: 10-Bit
Color Space: YCbCr 444
HDMI Range: 15-235

The Vertex is set to EDID 11, no scaling, Disable HDR, OSD disabled - config file attached.

I have SDR mapping HDR set so the Zidoo always outputs HDR, even the gui and 90% of material is HDR so for me, this means no PJ resyncs.

In this mode, HDR passes through and SDR material is mapped from Rec.709 to BT.2020 (which is just maths) and presumably an inverse PQ curve of sorts is applied.

I have the Vertex OSD off since it has popped up a couple of times during play - not sure why, I have "ignore metadata change" set, but I find it a bit intrusive anyway and have RS232 control, so I can bring the OSD up manually if needed.

Disable HDR is because it's a JVC projector so I have my own custom gamma curves - in fact I've honed it to the point I just need the one these days.
damn, i asked the right guy, ha ha...

first, it never occurred to me to disable hdr in the vertex prior to sending the signal to my lumagen pro which has hdr dtm, moreover the vertex folks never suggested it either despite lengthy emails regarding my setup (source > vertex > lumagen > 4k display)... fwiw i also used edid 11 with scaling off.

so why not use the ziddo for 2k material as well? if you don't have resync probs with always outputting hdr (including the gui), why would 2k material cause resync probs?

also, have experimented with rgb, 0-235 vs ycbcr 444, 15-235?

so what do you think the best settings for me would be given my chain: zidoo > vertex > lumagen > 4k hdr pj (pixel shifting, non jvc)?

thanks again!

btw i just stumbled across a zidoo forum thread (what is sdr mapping hdr? is sdr bt2020 possible?) that you've weighed in on, looks like a very good read.
post #1456 of 1555 Old 06-21-2019, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yes, i noticed that, no corner rounding on smaller posters, which made me wonder why zidoo decided not to keep that look throughout... anyway, again no big deal, and i think i can apply a few tweaks by editing a file or two once i get my hands on it, should arrive tomorrow (friday).

damn, i asked the right guy, ha ha...

first, it never occurred to me to disable hdr in the vertex prior to sending the signal to my lumagen pro which has hdr dtm, moreover the vertex folks never suggested it either despite lengthy emails regarding my setup (source > vertex > lumagen > 4k display)... fwiw i also used edid 11 with scaling off.

so why not use the ziddo for 2k material as well? if you don't have resync probs with always outputting hdr (including the gui), why would 2k material cause resync probs?

also, have experimented with rgb, 0-235 vs ycbcr 444, 15-235?

so what do you think the best settings for me would be given my chain: zidoo > vertex > lumagen > 4k hdr pj (pixel shifting, non jvc)?

thanks again!

btw i just stumbled across a zidoo forum thread (what is sdr mapping hdr? is sdr bt2020 possible?) that you've weighed in on, looks like a very good read.
So the reason I disable HDR (or more correctly, block the HDR SEI message) is that my projector applies a badly designed gamma curve when the SEI is detected so disabling it means I can apply my own HDR curve and control it through macros (I'm a Crestron programmer, so easy to parse the 232 data out of the Vertex and then do whatever I want in terms of control).

I wouldn't expect the Lumagen to care about the SEI if you're using DTM, but worth an experiment or two..

The main reason I use the Dune for 2K is that I have quite a few crossover movies, and this way it keeps it all separate. Also, the lack of categorisation in the Zidoo makes it a bit of an issue. I use yaDis for the Dune which allows me to split the library however I wish and since the 2K library is much bigger and more diverse, that's important to me.

The resync problem I refer to is that the JVCs have a notoriously long (12 - 15s or so) resync time when the input changes, so the less I can get it to change (eg sticking to HDR), the better!

And the SDR > HDR conversion is a bit overcooked - I assume they have the maths right in the colour space conversion, but I've no idea how they (or presumably Realtek) implemented the inverse PQ transfer function, but I think it's fluffed up a bit presumably because that is the (incorrect) expectation of HDR. I'm sure it could be cooled down a bit with calibration though.

I have the HDMI range set for 16-235 because that's how BluRays are encoded (for UHD 10-bit it's 64-940). Auto works perfectly, but I prefer setting things discretely.

As for the SDR.2020 thing - that's an interesting development Zidoo are adding to the toolkit - very handy for those with projectors that will display a wide colour gamut but do not have HDR. They asked me to test a beta a couple of weeks ago. Currently it switches to SDR.2020 automatically if EDID specifies BT.2020 but not HDR - I've suggested manual settings but I don't know if the SDK will allow that - not heard from them for a week though which I take as a good sign that the devs are working on it.

As for your settings - when you get the Zidoo, drop me a PM - it's probably more a Vertex/LRP conversation than a Zidoo one...
MOberhardt and dr4go like this.

Last edited by markswift2003; 06-21-2019 at 01:32 AM.
post #1457 of 1555 Old 06-21-2019, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Plex

I am sure this question has been answered but can't seem to find it. Can you connect to PLEX on the Z9S? I don't see a PLEX app or how to download one.
post #1458 of 1555 Old 06-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So the reason I disable HDR (or more correctly, block the HDR SEI message) is that my projector applies a badly designed gamma curve when the SEI is detected so disabling it means I can apply my own HDR curve and control it through macros (I'm a Crestron programmer, so easy to parse the 232 data out of the Vertex and then do whatever I want in terms of control).

I wouldn't expect the Lumagen to care about the SEI if you're using DTM, but worth an experiment or two..

The main reason I use the Dune for 2K is that I have quite a few crossover movies, and this way it keeps it all separate. Also, the lack of categorisation in the Zidoo makes it a bit of an issue. I use yaDis for the Dune which allows me to split the library however I wish and since the 2K library is much bigger and more diverse, that's important to me.

The resync problem I refer to is that the JVCs have a notoriously long (12 - 15s or so) resync time when the input changes, so the less I can get it to change (eg sticking to HDR), the better!

And the SDR > HDR conversion is a bit overcooked - I assume they have the maths right in the colour space conversion, but I've no idea how they (or presumably Realtek) implemented the inverse PQ transfer function, but I think it's fluffed up a bit presumably because that is the (incorrect) expectation of HDR. I'm sure it could be cooled down a bit with calibration though.

I have the HDMI range set for 16-235 because that's how BluRays are encoded (for UHD 10-bit it's 64-940). Auto works perfectly, but I prefer setting things discretely.

As for the SDR.2020 thing - that's an interesting development Zidoo are adding to the toolkit - very handy for those with projectors that will display a wide colour gamut but do not have HDR. They asked me to test a beta a couple of weeks ago. Currently it switches to SDR.2020 automatically if EDID specifies BT.2020 but not HDR - I've suggested manual settings but I don't know if the SDK will allow that - not heard from them for a week though which I take as a good sign that the devs are working on it.

As for your settings - when you get the Zidoo, drop me a PM - it's probably more a Vertex/LRP conversation than a Zidoo one...
thanks a ton @markswift2003 , extremely helpful! my zidoo should be here today so i'll have a chance to play around with it this weekend and have plenty of questions locked and loaded next week! thanks again!
markswift2003 likes this.
post #1459 of 1555 Old 06-25-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
I have a couple of questions:

1. everytime i watch a new movie, it auto plays subtitles.. i have to disable subtitle everytime i play it.. anywhere in settings so that it doesn't auto play subtitles?

2. The zidoo will search the internet for album covers, etc, when i am playing music.. this causes it to sort of crash or make me wait forever to play music on the player.. again, anyway to shut that down? I don't need those album covers..
post #1460 of 1555 Old 06-25-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I have a couple of questions:

1. everytime i watch a new movie, it auto plays subtitles.. i have to disable subtitle everytime i play it.. anywhere in settings so that it doesn't auto play subtitles?

2. The zidoo will search the internet for album covers, etc, when i am playing music.. this causes it to sort of crash or make me wait forever to play music on the player.. again, anyway to shut that down? I don't need those album covers..

Can't help with number 2 as I don't use the music player, but for subtitle try:

Settings/Playback/Default Language/Default Subtitle/<Off>
jherring69 and MOberhardt like this.

post #1461 of 1555 Old 06-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

edit: nm

Last edited by aeneas01; 06-25-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #1462 of 1555 Old 06-25-2019, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

@markswift2003

it appears that i'm running into scanning probs, for example when i run a scan it shows that all 100/100 files were scanned but when i return to the poster wall only 80% or so show up, with another 5% or so in the last folder... are there some tricks that make ht2 scanning more successful, or am i going to have to start renaming a bunch of movie files?

i hope it's not the latter because i'm still using plex as a server for my home/travel (which incidentally didn't have many probs at all scanning the titles as they are), and if i start changing movie titles i'm going to have rescan everything on plex as well.

thanks!
post #1463 of 1555 Old 06-25-2019, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@markswift2003

it appears that i'm running into scanning probs, for example when i run a scan it shows that all 100/100 files were scanned but when i return to the poster wall only 80% or so show up, with another 5% or so in the last folder... are there some tricks that make ht2 scanning more successful, or am i going to have to start renaming a bunch of movie files?

i hope it's not the latter because i'm still using plex as a server for my home/travel (which incidentally didn't have many probs at all scanning the titles as they are), and if i start changing movie titles i'm going to have rescan everything on plex as well.

thanks!

It does have a few "foibles" with scanning but all are fixable.

For example, you can scan a source and it doesn't catch all the movies - you then scan again and with no explanation, it catches more - so a few scans are usually needed to get there - this doesn't seem to have affected you, but handy to be aware of.

(I've seen it miss movies with 2 or 3 letter titles (eg ET), but then I've also seen it catch them as well.. Also movies with numerals (eg 2012) can cause issue)

As with any scraper, the initial run can be painful but once complete, additions are easy and usually uneventful.

There can be an issue where it can lump movies it thinks are the same into one poster - so you look into the details page and you'll see a "1" and "2" etc in little square boxes which denotes each movie and these are the most difficult to find as there's no clue from the main poster page that there are multiple movies in there.

Most of these issues are caused by naming, so it's always good to name the movie correctly, although occasionally that can be impossible (Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters for example).

The good news is you can fix it all with a little time and no renaming.

First thing is to go into the unidentified ones at the bottom and rematch them - you can choose names to search rather than using the filename if necessary and I find sitting in front of a PC with the web interface up the easiest (http://<IP_Address>:9528).

Then it's finding the films that are lumped together - look for obvious ones first (Iron Man 1,2,3, Ghostbusters etc) and again, either on screen or on the web interface, you can rematch each film and separate into their own posters.

As I said, once the library is sorted it's all painless from there...

One option you may want to explore is that the scraper can use Kodi nfo files - you need to set the precedence in options, but if you use a program like Tiny Media Manager for example, you can get that to add artwork and the nfo file and get HT2 to use that data instead - I've messed with that, confirmed it all works but I don't use it as the internal scraper is great once set up - I was just curious...

Oh yeah - and make sure you're on the latest firmware v2.2.61:

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thre...release.48457/
Lasalle likes this.

Last edited by markswift2003; 06-25-2019 at 11:44 PM.
post #1464 of 1555 Old 06-26-2019, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It does have a few "foibles" with scanning but all are fixable.

For example, you can scan a source and it doesn't catch all the movies - you then scan again and with no explanation, it catches more - so a few scans are usually needed to get there - this doesn't seem to have affected you, but handy to be aware of.
so when you say "scan again" do you mean go into settings, select sources, select the source that was already scanned, and then select "update"? or do i select "+ add source" and select the source folder again for scanning?

Quote:
There can be an issue where it can lump movies it thinks are the same into one poster - so you look into the details page and you'll see a "1" and "2" etc in little square boxes which denotes each movie and these are the most difficult to find as there's no clue from the main poster page that there are multiple movies in there.
i'll check that out, it's gotta be causing the probs i'm having.

Quote:
First thing is to go into the unidentified ones at the bottom and rematch them - you can choose names to search rather than using the filename if necessary and I find sitting in front of a PC with the web interface up the easiest (http://<IP_Address>:9528).

Then it's finding the films that are lumped together - look for obvious ones first (Iron Man 1,2,3, Ghostbusters etc) and again, either on screen or on the web interface, you can rematch each film and separate into their own posters.

As I said, once the library is sorted it's all painless from there...
very helpful, will do.

Quote:
One option you may want to explore is that the scraper can use Kodi nfo files - you need to set the precedence in options, but if you use a program like Tiny Media Manager for example, you can get that to add artwork and the nfo file and get HT2 to use that data instead - I've messed with that, confirmed it all works but I don't use it as the internal scraper is great once set up - I was just curious...
yeah, i would rather not go that route if possible.

Quote:
Oh yeah - and make sure you're on the latest firmware v2.2.61:
yes, successfully updated to 2.2.61... did this update ht2 as well or is that a separate update? i noticed in one firmware update thread at the zidoo forum it was suggested to reinstall ht2 after updating the firmware, do you think i need to do that? also, when i received the box it was two updates behind, so i just used the latest, should i have done the updates in order, i.e. updated using the two versions to get current?

thanks!
post #1465 of 1555 Old 06-26-2019, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so when you say "scan again" do you mean go into settings, select sources, select the source that was already scanned, and then select "update"? or do i select "+ add source" and select the source folder again for scanning?

Yes, you select the source you already scanned and select update to scan again - I don't think this has happened to you and they may have fixed it as it's generally only something you'd see on an initial big scan.
Say you've got 100 movies, it may come back at first with 90/100 scanned. You run again and magically another couple appear and so on until they're all scanned. As I say - may have been fixed..

Quote:
yes, successfully updated to 2.2.61... did this update ht2 as well or is that a separate update? i noticed in one firmware update thread at the zidoo forum it was suggested to reinstall ht2 after updating the firmware, do you think i need to do that? also, when i received the box it was two updates behind, so i just used the latest, should i have done the updates in order, i.e. updated using the two versions to get current?

thanks!

There was a firmware recently that introduced a bug in HT2 and a separate apk for HT2 was released, but that was a one off and this update includes the latest HT2 which is what I would expect going forward.

And no problems skipping firmwares - I recently went right back to factory v1.7.8 and went straight to the latest after I'd been messing with stuff and wanted a proper clear out..

I definitely think your missing films are duplicated behind the posters.. Bit of a pain, but once it's sorted, it's sorted.

post #1466 of 1555 Old 06-26-2019, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

i've been doing a bit more reading at the zidoo forum, probably something i should have done before jumping into zidoo... i was interested in zidoo because my use will be mostly my ripped library, and the general consensus was that zidoo was a winner in this area, but i'm also interested in streaming other things...

i just discovered that you can't stream 4k hdr netflix with zidoo, is that true? what about youtube 4k hdr, amazon prime streaming and hulu, can zidoo handle those? thanks!
post #1467 of 1555 Old 06-26-2019, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i've been doing a bit more reading at the zidoo forum, probably something i should have done before jumping into zidoo... i was interested in zidoo because my use will be mostly my ripped library, and the general consensus was that zidoo was a winner in this area, but i'm also interested in streaming other things...

i just discovered that you can't stream 4k hdr netflix with zidoo, is that true? what about youtube 4k hdr, amazon prime streaming and hulu, can zidoo handle those? thanks!
I'm a big believer in "jack of all trades, master of none" - I use the Zidoo for local content only, which it does very well - with streaming services, as with all these boxes, it just pays lip service - so I use a FireTV 4K for Netflix and Amazon rather than looking for an all rounder.

The closest is the Nvidia Shield, but then you have to deal with Kodi for local material which is fun for a while but soon wears thin.
MOberhardt likes this.

post #1468 of 1555 Old 06-26-2019, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, you select the source you already scanned and select update to scan again - I don't think this has happened to you and they may have fixed it as it's generally only something you'd see on an initial big scan.
Say you've got 100 movies, it may come back at first with 90/100 scanned. You run again and magically another couple appear and so on until they're all scanned. As I say - may have been fixed..
what if the scan shows 100/100 but you actually have 104? how do you get the 4 to appear in the library? when there's not a folder on the poster wall that has these 4 unmatched files? play with the movie file name, rescan, and hope for the best? plus it seems that you have to thumb through every poster in order to find the 4 that are missing? if so that's will be pretty daunting if you have 1600 and 86 don't show up, yikes.

i'm also a bit fuzzy on how to determine if a poster has multiples... with plex there was a little box on the poster so you could easily find these sitches, are you saying i have to click each poster, or likely suspect posters, to see if it has multiples?

Quote:
There was a firmware recently that introduced a bug in HT2 and a separate apk for HT2 was released, but that was a one off and this update includes the latest HT2 which is what I would expect going forward.

And no problems skipping firmwares - I recently went right back to factory v1.7.8 and went straight to the latest after I'd been messing with stuff and wanted a proper clear out..
very good to know, thanks!
post #1469 of 1555 Old 06-26-2019, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm a big believer in "jack of all trades, master of none" - I use the Zidoo for local content only, which it does very well - with streaming services, as with all these boxes, it just pays lip service - so I use a FireTV 4K for Netflix and Amazon rather than looking for an all rounder.

The closest is the Nvidia Shield, but then you have to deal with Kodi for local material which is fun for a while but soon wears thin.
ok, so then the zidoo doesn't really support any of the popular streaming services? beyond being a kickass movie file player, what else do folks use it for?
post #1470 of 1555 Old 06-26-2019, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

100% agree with you. Zidoo for my local digital content, Apple TV for streaming, and my Panasonic ub9000 for uhd and Blu Ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page