New Zidoo Z9S and Z10 (RTD1296 SoC) - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 529Likes

post #1801 of 1808 Old 11-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I was hoping to see the drives from each Zidoo machine on the other so I would not need to swap drives. I think back when I had the WD media players they could all see each others drives by default

If it can’t be done by changing a setting or two within the Zidoo I likely will not pursue it.
You need additional software running on each machine, not just a Z9s setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1808 Old 11-23-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2153 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
You need additional software running on each machine, not just a Z9s setting.
Thanks. If it an easy thing to do?

What software do I need?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by raynist; 11-23-2019 at 02:34 PM.
post #1803 of 1808 Old 11-23-2019, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Thanks. If it an easy thing to do?

What software do I need?

Thanks for your help!
I haven’t tried the following procedure, but researching suggest that it should be possible to use the built-in openWRT to allow each Z9s to see the other’s attached drive.

No additional software required.

The objective is to enable SMB in each machine’s openWRT and share the Respective attached HDD.

To enable either Samba or FTP servers on Zidoo box using OpenWRT.
(In the following steps, you should be able to use the web browser from the Z9s to manage the openWRT config on that Z9s).

Repeat the following procedure on each Z9s.

1. Find the IP address of your Z9S/Z10/X20/X20 Pro on your local network. Home screen - About. (e.g. 192.168.0.33)
2. Access that IP address from the Z9s’s web browser. The default password is a blank space (highly recommended to change it on first use!).
3. Go to NAS Services in the OpenWRT menu, then the Samba or FTP options. Check the 'enable' box to turn on.
4. For Samba, select which directories you want to share by selecting 'Add' at the bottom. If you want to share everything enter / in the path box. All attached storage is at path /mnt
5. Selected folders should now be visible to the network as Samba shares (or FTP folder if FTP chosen).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 1808 Old 11-23-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2153 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Quote:
I haven’t tried the following procedure, but researching suggest that it should be possible to use the built-in openWRT to allow each Z9s to see the other’s attached drive.

No additional software required.

The objective is to enable SMB in each machine’s openWRT and share the Respective attached HDD.

To enable either Samba or FTP servers on Zidoo box using OpenWRT.
(In the following steps, you should be able to use the web browser from the Z9s to manage the openWRT config on that Z9s).

Repeat the following procedure on each Z9s.

1. Find the IP address of your Z9S/Z10/X20/X20 Pro on your local network. Home screen - About. (e.g. 192.168.0.33)
2. Access that IP address from the Z9s’s web browser. The default password is a blank space (highly recommended to change it on first use!).
3. Go to NAS Services in the OpenWRT menu, then the Samba or FTP options. Check the 'enable' box to turn on.
4. For Samba, select which directories you want to share by selecting 'Add' at the bottom. If you want to share everything enter / in the path box. All attached storage is at path /mnt
5. Selected folders should now be visible to the network as Samba shares (or FTP folder if FTP chosen).
Thank you!
post #1805 of 1808 Old 12-01-2019, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Maybe, someone knows the answer ... Currently, I have a 4TB hard drive, connected to a USB 2.0 port, on my Z9s. I'm using Version 2.2.92. All of my .mkv files play for awhile, then crash. Some files play longer, some shorter. If I start the movie, from the beginning, it crashes at the same point. This happens, to every movie. The same scenario happens, with migrating to the other USB 2.0 port. Something's not right ... Any suggestions ?? Thanks.

Al ..
post #1806 of 1808 Old 12-02-2019, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogboy2727 View Post
Maybe, someone knows the answer ... Currently, I have a 4TB hard drive, connected to a USB 2.0 port, on my Z9s. I'm using Version 2.2.92. All of my .mkv files play for awhile, then crash. Some files play longer, some shorter. If I start the movie, from the beginning, it crashes at the same point. This happens, to every movie. The same scenario happens, with migrating to the other USB 2.0 port. Something's not right ... Any suggestions ?? Thanks.

Al ..
Is this a new issue, has playback of MKV files previously worked OK ?
If so, have you recently made changes to the system ?

Have you tried resetting to factory defaults ?

If the drive is in an enclosure, it could be an issue with the enclosure. Are you able to try the drive in a different enclosure ?

If the crash always occurs at the same point for a particular MKV file, It would be worth running a hard drive checkdisk on a PC to verify the drive is OK.

Another possibility, if the crash always occurs at the same point for a particular MKV file, it could be playing through a higher bitrate passage, so possibly an HDMI cable issue. Are you using 18Gbps certified cables ?

Are you able to try a different USB cable ?
vidwiz likes this.
post #1807 of 1808 Old 12-02-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Is this a new issue, has playback of MKV files previously worked OK ?
If so, have you recently made changes to the system ?

Have you tried resetting to factory defaults ?

If the drive is in an enclosure, it could be an issue with the enclosure. Are you able to try the drive in a different enclosure ?

If the crash always occurs at the same point for a particular MKV file, It would be worth running a hard drive checkdisk on a PC to verify the drive is OK.

Another possibility, if the crash always occurs at the same point for a particular MKV file, it could be playing through a higher bitrate passage, so possibly an HDMI cable issue. Are you using 18Gbps certified cables ?

Are you able to try a different USB cable ?
Thanks for your feedback. This is actually the first time, regarding the playback of mkv files, on the Skidoo.. Previously, I was just loading files, onto the external Seagate 4TB Slim external drive. So, I've scanned the hard drive for errors and there aren't any. The HDMI cable connecting the Skidoo to my Denon AVR IS a certified cable. By the way, all of my mkv files are of the BluRay 1080p variety. I still use my 65" Panny plasma set.
So, I tried loading the same mkv file, onto a USB stick. The mkv file played all the way through. So, that eliminates the HDMI cable. Next, I'll try a different USB cable, connecting the external hard drive, to the Skidoo. Let's see what happens.

Al ..
post #1808 of 1808 Old 12-02-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogboy2727 View Post
Thanks for your feedback. This is actually the first time, regarding the playback of mkv files, on the Skidoo.. Previously, I was just loading files, onto the external Seagate 4TB Slim external drive. So, I've scanned the hard drive for errors and there aren't any. The HDMI cable connecting the Skidoo to my Denon AVR IS a certified cable. By the way, all of my mkv files are of the BluRay 1080p variety. I still use my 65" Panny plasma set.
So, I tried loading the same mkv file, onto a USB stick. The mkv file played all the way through. So, that eliminates the HDMI cable. Next, I'll try a different USB cable, connecting the external hard drive, to the Skidoo. Let's see what happens.

Al ..
Yup .. I changed from the ultra expensive/braided USB cable, to an ultra generic USB cable and the mkv files played all the way through. What's that saying, that you can't judge a book, by it's cover. Thanks again WP ..

Al ..
Whirlpool0548 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page