AVS Forum banner

New Zidoo Z9S and Z10 (RTD1296 SoC)

319K views 3K replies 165 participants last post by  MOberhardt 
#1 ·
Zidoo is about to release its more affordable (than Zidoo X20) media players shortly. Zidoo Z9S & Z10
Will arrive with Android 7!

Reactions: giomania
#4 ·
You have a point there with the USB ports. The specs say that there are two USB 3.0 ports as well as the two USB 2.0 ports on the front. I assume they are on the side opposite the hard drive opening. That's isn't too bad. I can also see why you don't like the hard drive access from the side, although since it has a small footprint there should be room. That said, I got the EGREAT A10 because of it's form factor over the zidoo. I liked the shorter wider stance, so you can stack things easier, since I have an audio cabinet, I like rectangles instead of squares in there. Still, I bet these new players will be really good with the new android and upgraded SoC.

#5 ·
Not see any news, it was said to be laughed, first week of October, but seems to have been delayed.

#12 ·
Their previous one was grey, looked better.
Build quality is really solid though. Exactly the same as Dune HD Pro 4K and Zidoo X9S.

Reactions: videobruce
#17 ·
AFAIK this is the only thread talking about the new Z series or it's the only one I've seen.

Perhaps you could point to the additional threads, I would be interested to read them.

A search of the Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming Forum using the key word Zidoo only brings up discrete threads for the X9S, a thread for the X20/X20 Pro, and this thread for a first page of 25 results and the Zidoo X10 in the second page of the next 25 results for me.

#15 ·
Was there another thread for the new players?
Sorry if I missed it...

#21 ·
Ok I got it. First impressions are not too bad. I not see any problem with frame skipping at first sight, but then that is not always obvious.

PQ, is in pair, with other zidoo, Dune, or Zappiti scrapper is fast, but like most inaccurate, some not found, some wrong;

The music player put out correctly higher frequency files, so that is good. But why did they not made a better player? Kind of Jriver like? I not found the app for my phone, shame too. Now my player had the audio-player 2, not 3.

UHD files are better then on any player (not seen the Oppo) You have different settings, and you can adjust brightness and contrast separately, that is great so it not affect normal HD.

is not an revolution, an evolution. There will probably soon bugs be found, but honestly, this is not a bad player. I find the Dune HD HDR 4 K with realtek 195, maybe a bit sharper, but depth, immersion is really good. Software of this player is better and more easy to use then Dune.

#28 ·
Kodi and Youtube and Universal remote

Hello,

I just got my Z9S and installed Google apps, Youtube and Kodi.

- Kodi: is it possible to make Kodi use the internal player of the Z9S in order to play 4K + HDR + Atmos ?
- Youtube: i thought that having Youtube running on Android 7.x would allow it to play 4K + HDR videos but apparently not. Am I missing something?
- U Remote: The Z9S is still unknown under Logitech Harmony remotes. Any idea?

Thanks

#30 ·
Some silly questions for Z10 box.
How big of the HDD (capacity) it allowed?

I have a lot of ripped MKV at home, I am debating whether to have put them all on the HDD then insert into the Z10 and watch from there or put them all on the external HDD and connect it to the router, I think that way, getting the Z9S is enough (hope the Z9S does support SMB or DLNA). What's your thought?

If I have the HDD in the Z10, if I want to add more ripped MKV to it, how do I do it? Can it be accessed for the network?

#31 ·
srt files

Does Z10 support srt files as subtitles when playing mkv files ?

from description

Powerful subtitle function, support any change of fonts, a variety of color effect optional, support online download subtitles;Support both SUP and ASS effects captions.

#32 ·
The review was updated with a YouTube video

#33 ·
Has anyone had a chance to strap a Vertex onto one yet to see what the frame-rate is?

#34 ·
I will do soon (I hope) ...

For UHD, BD,MKV and 3D playback.

#42 ·
Can is Z9 play .m3u Music playlist files? If not, what else can they use?

Hi all,
I bought my Z9 after my popcorn hour C-200 died a few months ago. I'm really enjoying the Z9 and having access to my many media files, especially music! I have quite a few .m3u playlist files but the Z9 doesn't open them, should it? I thought I read somewhere where the Z9 can play that type of playlist file. If not, how else can I create playlists in the Z9? Also, is there a downloadable user manual for it? Thanks!

#46 ·
I was looking at the dune 4k pro but the lack of proper firmware releases and bluray menu support i am now looking at this zidoo z9,and from what i read it looks good,however can anyone test if the bluray menu function actually works in this device? I am only going to use it for 1080p full blurays BDMV format and 3D if it supports MVC in MKV format?

Thank you

#49 ·
Think 23.974fps is the same as with previous-gen X9S. This does give you about 4 microstutters in a 2-hour movie. With 3D ISO/MVC, Zidoo seems to do perfect 23.976. With 1080p & 4K 2D, not quite.

The new RTD1296 doesn't appear to add any improvements for video performance, rather just connectivity. I also have a Zidoo X20 with the same video issues.

#52 ·
@markswift2003 good info.

I just want to add from my previous research on this topic is that frame rate display from HDFury Vertex or any other device is most likely calculated back from pixel clock rate and screen resolution. It will be different for HD, 3D and 4K but will point back to 23.976fps.

More info here and follow second link.

Interesting stuff - I might email HDFury and see how the vertex works it out..

#55 ·
@markswift2003 following your finding I decided to test it on my system. I have Zidoo X9S with latest firmware 2.1.14.

My standard settings are:
Deep Color Mode 10bit
Color Space Auto
HDMI Range 16-235

Looking at info screen from Zidoo player I always see 10 Bits and YUV444 for regular HD 1080p 8bit source and 10bit 4K HDR.
Changing Color Space to YCbCr 422 or 420 is not making any difference in the display output info from Zidoo player - always YUV444.

Is changing Color Space in Quick Settings from Auto to YCbCr 444, 422 or 420 effect display output frequency in any way?

Color Space in setup is marked in YCbCr but Player Info screen shows YUV. Are those two the same or not related in Zidoo terminology?

How did you change 444 to 422 and 420? Where do you see the change?

Bit depth is working fine. Setting 10 bit in setup forces 10 bit output across all sources HD and 4K HDR. Changes are reflected to 8 or 12 bit in Zidoo player info screen

It looks like Auto is just referred to maximum capability of the TV rather than automatically following the source.
Since I had it set for 10 bit and Color Space Auto it produces YUV444 and according to your research 23.974fps.

This is my standard set up and I do see microstutters :(

Can you check what is the frame rate / frequency on standard HD with output set for 10bit and 444?

#56 · (Edited)
@markswift2003 following your finding I decided to test it on my system. I have Zidoo X9S with latest firmware 2.1.14.

My standard settings are:
Deep Color Mode 10bit
Color Space Auto
HDMI Range 16-235

Looking at info screen from Zidoo player I always see 10 Bits and YUV444 for regular HD 1080p 8bit source and 10bit 4K HDR.
Changing Color Space to YCbCr 422 or 420 is not making any difference in the display output info from Zidoo player - always YUV444.

Is changing Color Space in Quick Settings from Auto to YCbCr 444, 422 or 420 effect display output frequency in any way?

Color Space in setup is marked in YCbCr but Player Info screen shows YUV. Are those two the same or not related in Zidoo terminology?

How did you change 444 to 422 and 420? Where do you see the change?

Bit depth is working fine. Setting 10 bit in setup forces 10 bit output across all sources HD and 4K HDR. Changes are reflected to 8 or 12 bit in Zidoo player info screen

It looks like Auto is just referred to maximum capability of the TV rather than automatically following the source.
Since I had it set for 10 bit and Color Space Auto it produces YUV444 and according to your research 23.974fps.

This is my standard set up and I do see microstutters :(

Can you check what is the frame rate / frequency on standard HD with output set for 10bit and 444?
The Zidoo seems to respect the HDMI specs correctly so you have to remember you can't output an illegal mode.

So you have explicitly set your bit depth to 10-bits and therefore 4:2:0 is not allowed at 23.976fps and 4:2:2 is only allowed at 12-bits.

Changing colour space has a big impact on transmission frequency and therefore bandwidth which becomes very important as resolution and HDMI cable lengths increase - for example, 4K 12-bit 422 transmits at 297MHz and 4K 12-bit 444 at 445MHz.

I just reread your question though and I suspect you are referring to frame rate, in which case, no, colour space has no bearing on frame rate.

YCbCr and YUV are synonymous.

Not sure what you mean by "where do you see the change"?

My result of 23.974fps is for the Z9S not the X9S.

So for standard HD, the X9S outputs 23.978fps in all modes (8-bit 444, 12-bit 422, 10-bit 444 and 12-bit 444) the same as for 4K.

I haven't tested with a Judder Pattern, but I would expect a frame repeat every 8.3 minutes at that frame rate.

This is on firmware 2.0.34, I wasn't aware of 2.1.14 - I'll load that and see if it makes a difference...

Mark

EDIT - Nope, updated to 2.1.14 and it's exactly the same, 23.978fps across the board.