Official 2018 (new) FireTV Stick 4K--Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Dolby Atmos - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 752Likes

post #1981 of 2054 Old 12-02-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes, for streaming from the low bitrate streaming services? A 100 Mb/s Ethernet connection has more than enough bandwidth. But for streaming my UHD content from home? It is not fast enough for very high bitrate UHD content. But the FireTV 4K stick wifi connection can play them with ease. At least that is the case with my two FireTV 4K sticks.
I was talking about online streaming services like NetFlix, Prime, VUDU, Disney+, etc. That is the typical use case. That said I have 3 FireTV Stick 4ks (in addition to other streaming devices) two of which are WiFi connected and one is Ethernet connected with the stock 10/100 Amazon Ethernet adapter. I have been able to stream any of my content, and I have some very large high bit rate 4k files with ATMOS on my Synology NAS and have yet to run into any issues streaming any of them to any devices wired or WiFi. Perhaps I’m just not pushing the envelope as much as you...or I’m just lucky...😄

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2054 Old 12-02-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9527 Post(s)
Liked: 6219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I was talking about online streaming services like NetFlix, Prime, VUDU, Disney+, etc. That is the typical use case. That said I have 3 FireTV Stick 4ks (in addition to other streaming devices) two of which are WiFi connected and one is Ethernet connected with the stock 10/100 Amazon Ethernet adapter. I have been able to stream any of my content, and I have some very large high bit rate 4k files with ATMOS on my Synology NAS and have yet to run into any issues streaming any of them to any devices wired or WiFi. Perhaps I’m just not pushing the envelope as much as you...or I’m just lucky...😄
yes those online streaming services are all low bitrate streaming.

For most of my UHD BD rips, a 100Mb/s connection would be fine. But some would have issues with the higher bitrates they have. And of course my 100+Mb/s UHD videos I have, can't play on any device using a 100Mb/s Ethernet connection. Not without constantly buffering.

But for me, I use a wired connection with any device that has a Gigabit Ethernet port. And I use wifi if it only has a 100Mb/s Ethernet port. Strictly because of the higher throughput that wireless provides on my wifi network.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1983 of 2054 Old 12-02-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yes those online streaming services are all low bitrate streaming.

For most of my UHD BD rips, a 100Mb/s connection would be fine. But some would have issues with the higher bitrates they have. And of course my 100+Mb/s UHD videos I have, can't play on any device using a 100Mb/s Ethernet connection. Not without constantly buffering.

But for me, I use a wired connection with any device that has a Gigabit Ethernet port. And I use wifi if it only has a 100Mb/s Ethernet port. Strictly because of the higher throughput that wireless provides on my wifi network.
Right, but typically when someone is talking about “streaming” they are talking about those types of services. I could clutter my posts with caveats, and maybe I should, but instead I try to just cover the most typical scenario. It’s one of the things I do like about these forums, that we do have folks here that really push the technology envelope. But it is also one of the tiring things about these forums, unless you write a book every time you post, covering all the possible permutations, inevitably someone will post providing the exception to whatever you say...😃

The bottom line is that for the vast majority of folks (not all see next section), the 10/100 adapters will never cause them an issue. - insert here all the various scenarios for which that is not true -...LOL
Garrett Adams and jherring69 like this.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2054 Old 12-02-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 699
I used my new 4K stick with the Amazon ethernet adapter this weekend to watch Shazam! on HBO Go, and for the first time ever in at least five years, about 15 minutes into the movie (HD movie with DD+ audio), the movie stopped and there was 15-20 seconds of three dots moving at the bottom of the screen.

I assume the thing was buffering, since I've never seen that before. It came as a very big surprise, as I have 200/10 service and am using the Amazon hard wire network adapter and getting 97 Mbits download speeds. Did not happen when watching Mandeorian in UHD with HDR and DD+ at what I have to assume is a significantly higher data rate.

I don't know what to make of it - it has just never happened before. I'm hoping it was just HBO falling on their face and not some quirk with the 4K Stick.
post #1985 of 2054 Old 12-02-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wolfer View Post
I'm having trouble getting the Fire TV 4K stick to properly display HDR. This happened on Man in the High Castle, and the new film, The Report. When it starts, it's way too dark. I exit out, and hit play again. If still too dark, repeat. Last night, it took about five tries before the Report displayed correctly. It's annoying.

The 4K stick is connected via the included HDMI extender to a Yamaha AVR 3070 which is output to a TCL 65R615.

What am I doing wrong?
I seem to recall having a similar issue when I firs got my 4K FS. Ended up plugging it into my TCL and using the ARC function to feed audio, works fine that way.
post #1986 of 2054 Old 12-02-2019, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Thank you for the reply. There has been some success with this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLUEJFU/ or the cheaper one https://www.ebay.com/p/23013569581

But have not seen anything on the latest fire tv 4k compatibility. Can anyone confirm? Would be nice to have ethernet + available usb ports for storage or peripherals (keyboard/mouse, etc).
Mouse support, you're kidding?
Does the stick even support these devices?

It only has one USB port already that's used for power, not sure how it's different with the adapter.
post #1987 of 2054 Old 12-02-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTD View Post
Mouse support, you're kidding?
Does the stick even support these devices?

It only has one USB port already that's used for power, not sure how it's different with the adapter.

I'm reasonably certain Bluetooth keyboards and mice are supported. Also, the Android app (I don't know about IOS) can be used to enter keyboard data.

If the power input is true USB2, it's possible one could jury-rig a small portable USB hub to see if other USB devices have support. You'd have to find a way to feed power to the same connector.
post #1988 of 2054 Old 12-02-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Thank you for the reply. There has been some success with this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLUEJFU/ or the cheaper one https://www.ebay.com/p/23013569581

But have not seen anything on the latest fire tv 4k compatibility. Can anyone confirm? Would be nice to have ethernet + available usb ports for storage or peripherals (keyboard/mouse, etc).
If you want or need mouse functionality just use Mousetoggle. I use it on all my FireTV devices and my Nvidia Shields.

Mark
post #1989 of 2054 Old 12-02-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
I used my new 4K stick with the Amazon ethernet adapter this weekend to watch Shazam! on HBO Go, and for the first time ever in at least five years, about 15 minutes into the movie (HD movie with DD+ audio), the movie stopped and there was 15-20 seconds of three dots moving at the bottom of the screen.

I assume the thing was buffering, since I've never seen that before. It came as a very big surprise, as I have 200/10 service and am using the Amazon hard wire network adapter and getting 97 Mbits download speeds. Did not happen when watching Mandeorian in UHD with HDR and DD+ at what I have to assume is a significantly higher data rate.

I don't know what to make of it - it has just never happened before. I'm hoping it was just HBO falling on their face and not some quirk with the 4K Stick.
This is not especially unusual with the HBO apps.
post #1990 of 2054 Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 342
So Movies Anywhere is only giving me stereo sound on 5.1 titles. Every other app gives me 5.1, unless whatever I’m watching is a stereo title. I’ve tried using the “Best Available” sound setting and “Always Dolby Digital” setting and it’s the same with both. Has anyone encountered this behavior?
post #1991 of 2054 Old 12-02-2019, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Despite my MA problem it looks like Amazon got another sale on the stick from me, since the Roku I just bought for my other TV apparently doesn’t support plain ole Dolby Digital (without the +) and instead downcoverts everything to stereo if you have a TV that doesn’t support DD+ pass through.

So, a tiny little stick is more functional than the much larger box that costs twice as much. Cool. I can’t fathom what Roku is thinking considering so many TVs don’t support DD+ pass through.
post #1992 of 2054 Old 12-03-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I seem to recall having a similar issue when I firs got my 4K FS. Ended up plugging it into my TCL and using the ARC function to feed audio, works fine that way.
So you think it was your receiver causing the trouble? I do think that TCL still has some bugs regarding HDR via HDMI in their OS.
post #1993 of 2054 Old 12-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I'm reasonably certain Bluetooth keyboards and mice are supported. Also, the Android app (I don't know about IOS) can be used to enter keyboard data.
I'm sure it's just my lack of vision, but I don't get the want for a mouse, and see little use for a keyboard.

Yeah I know in theory it can support mouse input (Android), but I fail to see a use case.
The interface is much more suited to using the remote.
I don't see this device as an effective desktop alternative so I can't picture why one would even need or want a mouse.

I've had keyboards for a few different streaming devices, and other that at account setup time the keyboard ends up sitting and collecting dust if there's any kind of a remote that can be used instead.
post #1994 of 2054 Old 12-03-2019, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
Despite my MA problem it looks like Amazon got another sale on the stick from me, since the Roku I just bought for my other TV apparently doesn’t support plain ole Dolby Digital (without the +) and instead downcoverts everything to stereo if you have a TV that doesn’t support DD+ pass through.

So, a tiny little stick is more functional than the much larger box that costs twice as much. Cool. I can’t fathom what Roku is thinking considering so many TVs don’t support DD+ pass through.
Because most people using the TV speakers or Rokus don't care. They probably don't even know the difference. Plus Roku probably doesn't want to pay Dolby the money for a license to go from DD+ to DD. It's amazing they did it for that old Ultra that had the capability. There is a reason why the other Rokus don't have that capability.
naustin likes this.

post #1995 of 2054 Old 12-03-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sure it's just my lack of vision, but I don't get the want for a mouse, and see little use for a keyboard.

I've had keyboards for a few different streaming devices, and other that at account setup time the keyboard ends up sitting and collecting dust if there's any kind of a remote that can be used instead.
Account setup is precisely why I use a keyboard. I just got a new 4K stick, and had to re-enter everything for every subscription and app I use, and clicking around using the remote on the on-screen keyboard is incredibly annoying. Incredibly. I finally just fired up the app on my phone and used that keyboard.

What would be very handy is if there was some kind of optional 'account detail' repository at Amazon where it stores your info in an encrypted form with a password, and when you get new hardware, it gives you the option of dumping the info to the new device once you enter the repository password.

I mean seriously, it's almost 2020, and I still have to fill out the login info (and go to many web sites to get my cable-apps like HBO Go, Epix, Showtime, etc. authorized) when I change hardware?

How 1995.
aaronwt, JGrana and NTTD like this.
post #1996 of 2054 Old 12-04-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Account setup is precisely why I use a keyboard. I just got a new 4K stick, and had to re-enter everything for every subscription and app I use, and clicking around using the remote on the on-screen keyboard is incredibly annoying.

I feel your pain, and the biggest irritant is when apps just decide for no reason to have you re-enter the password because you haven't logged-in in a while.

But if you get a Harmony hub, you can do one better than having a keyboard -- use the Harmony app's phone keyboard and a password manager app, and you can enter each password with two or three clicks. (Copy password from the manager, paste into the Harmony app which "types" on your device).
DougDingle, Mike__P and NTTD like this.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
post #1997 of 2054 Old 12-04-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What's in the wired ethernet adapter box?

Kind of a weird question:

What is included in the box from Amazon with their 10/100 wired network adapter for the 4K stick?

I'm going to return mine, but can't remember if the power adapter and usb cable were in the box or not. They don't seem to both fit.
post #1998 of 2054 Old 12-04-2019, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ugh, now I remember why I like physical media. 4 days into December and we’ve already burned through 136GB of our 1TB data cap. I think this is mostly due to Movies Anywhere, Disney+, and Apple TV+ now that we have devices that can use them.
post #1999 of 2054 Old 12-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Testing out HLG Files:

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone on here was able to play HLG files on the media players on the fire tv stick 4k? I downloaded the Cymatic Jazz HLG clip, but I'm unable to get HDR on plex or VLC for Fire. Does anyone have a solution to this? I just got a TCL r613, and was hoping to test out the HLG. HLG youtube works, but I would like to test downloaded hlg video files. Thanks.
post #2000 of 2054 Old 12-05-2019, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Kind of a weird question:

What is included in the box from Amazon with their 10/100 wired network adapter for the 4K stick?

I'm going to return mine, but can't remember if the power adapter and usb cable were in the box or not. They don't seem to both fit.
it was just the adapter.
DougDingle likes this.

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3060, Altantic Tech System 350 THX
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub, Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos Height (x4)
Epson 5050UB, 120" 16:9 screen, Panasonic TC-P60ST50 Plasma
Dune HD Solo 4K, Popcorn Hour C-200, unRAID Server Pro OS 6
Oppo BDP-83, OPPO BDP-203, Fire TV Stick 4K, Sony BDP-BX520, Panasonic DMP‑BDT220
post #2001 of 2054 Old 12-05-2019, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Did anyone manage to play a movie from the NAS with subs ?
I tried VLC and BS player with no luck .

What I'm doing wrong ?
post #2002 of 2054 Old 12-05-2019, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone on here was able to play HLG files on the media players on the fire tv stick 4k? I downloaded the Cymatic Jazz HLG clip, but I'm unable to get HDR on plex or VLC for Fire. Does anyone have a solution to this? I just got a TCL r613, and was hoping to test out the HLG. HLG youtube works, but I would like to test downloaded hlg video files. Thanks.
Try playing it directly from the TVs USB port.

If I remember correctly, those LG test videos just needed the extension changed to be able to play them from many devices. But it's been a few years since I downloaded them.

post #2003 of 2054 Old 12-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Try playing it directly from the TVs USB port.

If I remember correctly, those LG test videos just needed the extension changed to be able to play them from many devices. But it's been a few years since I downloaded them.
Thanks. Tried it this morning. It worked. However, VLC app doesn't seem to work on TCL. On my Sony Z9d, I can cast Cymatic Jazz HLG via VLC. The only way to play those files seems to be via USB on the TCL 6. The Fire TV stick 4k certainly isn't working for HLG files, just Youtube. Seems like there's a slight issue with .TS files.
post #2004 of 2054 Old 12-05-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Ugh, now I remember why I like physical media. 4 days into December and we’ve already burned through 136GB of our 1TB data cap. I think this is mostly due to Movies Anywhere, Disney+, and Apple TV+ now that we have devices that can use them.
Data cap, you on wireless?

Man if we had a cap things would have to change big time in our household.
post #2005 of 2054 Old 12-05-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Data cap, you on wireless?

Man if we had a cap things would have to change big time in our household.
Nope, Comcast.
post #2006 of 2054 Old 12-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Nope, Comcast.
Wow, bummer.
dwaleke likes this.
post #2007 of 2054 Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, bummer.
Yep, a bummer for me and a large portion of internet users in the US. I really hope Comcast caves on these caps because with the inflating bitrates of video streaming and now things like Google Stadia and Project Xcloud, we’re heading to a streaming future. 1TB just isn’t enough anymore.
post #2008 of 2054 Old 12-05-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Yep, a bummer for me and a large portion of internet users in the US. I really hope Comcast caves on these caps because with the inflating bitrates of video streaming and now things like Google Stadia and Project Xcloud, we’re heading to a streaming future. 1TB just isn’t enough anymore.
Have you tried a Plex server? You can stream your library over your local network all day and night.
post #2009 of 2054 Old 12-05-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wolfer View Post
Have you tried a Plex server? You can stream your library over your local network all day and night.
That just seems like a lot of work, not to mention the money required for hard drive space. I would need dozens of TB.
post #2010 of 2054 Old 12-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
That just seems like a lot of work, not to mention the money required for hard drive space. I would need dozens of TB.
Storage is cheap these days. I just added another 8 terabytes to my setup for $119 on a Black Friday sale.

It is a lot of work, but it's not exactly hard physical labor. I set mine up because I got fed up with stuff I wanted to watch disappearing from Amazon or Netflix. Now I control my environment. Nothing ever 'expires' from my personal streaming service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page