Official 2018 (new) FireTV Stick 4K--Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Dolby Atmos - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1159Likes

post #2071 of 2701 Old 12-13-2019, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How would I know if I'm getting the 4K/HDR feed of the football game?

I downloaded the FOX Sports app onto the Amazon Fire TV 4K, signed in with my Youtube TV account, and the football game did look better (not blown away though) than the YouTube TV Fox channel feed, but I couldn't find anything to tell me I'm watching the 4k/HDR version. For example, I can watch the 4k/HDR version of The Grand Tour, push the down button on the remote, and it tells me that it's UHD/HDR.

I have the Fire TV 4k hooked up to my Denon receiver which goes to my Samsung KS 8000 TV, if that info is needed.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2701 Old 12-13-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
I was looking forward to seeing this game in 4K/HDR and installed the FoxNow app on my FTV 4K. However, at game time it demanded my TV provider, etc. As I cut the cord in 2010, I don't have a provider and Fox didn't have a category for off-the-air. I thought since the game was on my local Fox station rather than FoxSports, I could probably watch it on-line - no cigar. Uninstalled the app and watched the game on my Fox station - thanks, Fox.
I believe Amazon also offered it for free (at least to Prime members) if you selected "watch live" from the Main FTV crawler.
post #2073 of 2701 Old 12-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I believe Amazon also offered it for free (at least to Prime members) if you selected "watch live" from the Main FTV crawler.

Was the Amazon feed in 4K/HDR? Previous TNF games on Amazon have not been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2701 Old 12-13-2019, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by timick1 View Post

I downloaded the FOX Sports app onto the Amazon Fire TV 4K, signed in with my Youtube TV account, and the football game did look better (not blown away though) than the YouTube TV Fox channel feed, but I couldn't find anything to tell me I'm watching the 4k/HDR version. For example, I can watch the 4k/HDR version of The Grand Tour, push the down button on the remote, and it tells me that it's UHD/HDR.

I have the Fire TV 4k hooked up to my Denon receiver which goes to my Samsung KS 8000 TV, if that info is needed.

Thanks.
I have an older Samsung HDR10 display but to know if HDR is displayed, no onscreen splash. I go to TV display settings and see contrast and backlight are max for HDR content (max backlight is 20, contrast 100%). That's my confirmation. The content should reflect better and brighter picture as well.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
timick1 and galonzo like this.
post #2075 of 2701 Old 12-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
Was the Amazon feed in 4K/HDR? Previous TNF games on Amazon have not been.

If you are referring to the AP app feed, its just 1080pSDR.
galonzo likes this.
post #2076 of 2701 Old 12-14-2019, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 413
TuneIn app fixed

For anyone who uses the TuneIn radio app, and was horrified to see it become a brain-dead toy Thursday, with no log-in option, so it no longer had your favorites, and a search function that returned several irrelevant pages of hits to scroll down through to get your station, uninstall it and reinstall it and it will be back to normal.

Early Friday morning (before dawn), after finding that this had happened on all of my Fire devices (an old Stick, an old 4K Fire, and a new 4K Stick), I found the Contact Us link on their website and sent a complaint explaining the problem. Within a few hours I got an email explaining that the Fire doesn't allow apps to have logins, so I should complain to Amazon, and that I should try searching on the station's name.

Friday afternoon - I had been traveling during the day - I wrote back pointing out that other third-party Fire apps do have logins, so it would be futile to argue with Amazon about a problem caused by TuneIn itself, and that I was searching on the stations' names.

That got a response that the issue would be passed on to their programmers.

Late Friday night, after seeing that the app was still broken, I uninstalled it and went looking for an APK (installation file) for the Android version (the FireTV, like the Kindle Fire, is an Android with the Google Play Store removed). I didn't find one on FileHippo and didn't trust the one I did find at a site recommended by a YouTube video, so I reinstalled the official Fire app, after noting that the screen shots looked like the right version.

It was indeed back to its normal self. Once I logged in with my email address and password, it was back to normal, with my favorites displayed.

I guess the programmers looked at my referred complaint, said "How did that happen?" and put it back the way it was.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel does indeed get the grease. And don't rely on the Fire's auto-update option for apps, which didn't bring it back by itself.

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (N5/NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers. Yamaha RX-A3070 (w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads). Sources: Oppo UDP-203, 4K Nvidia Shield, 4K Roku Ultra, 4K Amazon FireStick, Comcast 4K cable box, Win 10 PC.
My water-themed landscape photography website - only 24 pix up so far.

Last edited by Philnick; 12-14-2019 at 08:29 AM.
post #2077 of 2701 Old 12-14-2019, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by timick1 View Post

Thanks.
Got the same set up!
post #2078 of 2701 Old 12-14-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
While I find it interesting how people are trying different combinations of sources and hardware to watch TNF, I'd like to point out for those who missed my previous post that TNF originates in the truck at the stadium at 1080p/60 (cameras, switcher, playback, graphics, slomo), and from that 1080p/60 feed they make 1080i, 720p, and an uprezzed UHD feed using AJA hardware. There is currently NO UHD acquisition of images on TNF. There will be at some point soon, but not now.

Whether you're watching their uprezzed UHD feed, or sourcing an HD feed and letting your UHD TV do the upscaling, the results image-wise are remarkably similar, the main difference being the various HDR formats various sources force the image into displaying, some legit, and some quite unattractive.

HDR on night games under controlled lighting conditions is not that big a deal. Where it's going to become very useful is on day games in bright sunlight, where half the stadium is in shadow. That's the very definition of High Dynamic Range, where there is 15 stops or more difference between the brightest and darkest part of the image, and HDR allows for controlling the bright part while showing a lot more detail in the darker part of the shots.

EDIT: There may be, on occasion, one or two UHD cameras that are used to 'zoom in' on critical ball spots where it's a question of "Did he make the first down?" or "Did he step out of bounds?" When those cameras are used, they electronically blow up one quarter of the frame to 1080 size to give a relatively clean "zoom in for a close look" effect. The actual UHD image from those one or two cameras never make it out of the truck - internal processing only. So my statement that there are no UHD cameras on TNF was not wholly accurate, but pretty much so since it never leaves the truck that way.
aaronwt and galonzo like this.

Last edited by DougDingle; 12-14-2019 at 02:42 PM.
post #2079 of 2701 Old 12-14-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Can anyone else check to see whether or not Movies Anywhere will output 5.1 audio when you have Dolby Digital (not plus) selected as the audio output in the Fire Stick settings? I’ve been having a long back and forth with the MA development team about only getting a 96kbps stereo signal and it would help if I knew whether or not anyone else is seeing the same issue. Even better, if you can install the Developer Tools Menu and enable Advanced Settings to see exactly what audio settings are being output would be even more helpful.
post #2080 of 2701 Old 12-14-2019, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9925 Post(s)
Liked: 6560
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
Can anyone else check to see whether or not Movies Anywhere will output 5.1 audio when you have Dolby Digital (not plus) selected as the audio output in the Fire Stick settings? I’ve been having a long back and forth with the MA development team about only getting a 96kbps stereo signal and it would help if I knew whether or not anyone else is seeing the same issue. Even better, if you can install the Developer Tools Menu and enable Advanced Settings to see exactly what audio settings are being output would be even more helpful.
I just tried a MA Atmos title. With DD+ I get Atmos.
And when I changed the FireTV 4k stick to DD only output, I got 5.1 DD.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB)
galonzo likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2081 of 2701 Old 12-14-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Solution for freezing w/ AT&T TV Now and ESPN

I posted here a few weeks ago asking if anyone had this issue, and now after almost a year, I finally found a workaround.

DEVICE: Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K

APP: AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now)

PROBLEM: After tuning into ESPN, within a few minutes, the video freezes, then resumes a minute or so later, then freezes, etc. Also, similar, random, sporadic video freezing on some other channels, but not all.

CAUSE: In the audio settings, "stereo" is selected. (Stereo seems to provide louder and more dynamic sound through my TV and soundbar, especially with Spotify.)

SOLUTION: In audio settings, choose "Best available" instead of "stereo." The sound is more compressed, but it solves the video freezing issue.

Not sure why an audio setting would affect video freezing, but I confirmed it. Changed setting back to stereo and the video freezes again. Now if only AT&T would fix the frame dropping that's so evident on news tickers and sports. Fortunately, I have a Roku and no such issues with it.

I hope this helps someone...

LG OLED65B6P
post #2082 of 2701 Old 12-14-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I may have written too soon. The older Fire Stick at my wife's did indeed revert to the good version of TuneIn, but the newer 4K Stick and full 4K Fire TV I have did not.

I hope it's just a matter of time.

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (N5/NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers. Yamaha RX-A3070 (w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads). Sources: Oppo UDP-203, 4K Nvidia Shield, 4K Roku Ultra, 4K Amazon FireStick, Comcast 4K cable box, Win 10 PC.
post #2083 of 2701 Old 12-14-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I may have written too soon. The older Fire Stick at my wife's did indeed revert to the good version of TuneIn, but the newer 4K Stick and full 4K Fire TV I have did not.

Which is the good version of TuneIn, the old one, or the new one, and why is it better? I was confused today when seeing and older version I had in the cloud and a newer version during search.

LG OLED65B6P
post #2084 of 2701 Old 12-14-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

Which is the good version of TuneIn, the old one, or the new one, and why is it better? I was confused today when seeing and older version I had in the cloud and a newer version during search.
If it shows your favorites it's a good one (mine is 9.2.) It was replaced by a version 23 that has no log in option, so it doesn't know you from Adam, has none of your favorites, and has an aggravating search function that buries your desired station several screens down.

If you still see your favorites, immediately turn off auto updates of applications under Settings / Applications / Appstore.

Phil

Last edited by Philnick; 12-14-2019 at 08:43 PM.
post #2085 of 2701 Old 12-15-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone using a firestick 4k and Xbox one x?

I have a LG b9 and my firestick and One X have serious problems if both devices are plugged into the HDMI ports. My firestick is on HDMI 4 and One X on HDMI 1. If my firestick is on sleep or switched on then the One X feed will constantly flicker. I've tried different HDMI cables for the One X and it makes no difference.

If I switch off the firestick by removing the plug then the One X stops flickering instantly. What is causing this?
post #2086 of 2701 Old 12-15-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB800 View Post

I have a LG b9 and my firestick and One X have serious problems if both devices are plugged into the HDMI ports. My firestick is on HDMI 4 and One X on HDMI 1. If my firestick is on sleep or switched on then the One X feed will constantly flicker. I've tried different HDMI cables for the One X and it makes no difference.

If I switch off the firestick by removing the plug then the One X stops flickering instantly. What is causing this?
I’m using both but I’m having no such issues on my Samsung JS8500. Could it be something with the HDMI board on your TV?
post #2087 of 2701 Old 12-15-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Quote:

I’️m using both but I’️m having no such issues on my Samsung JS8500. Could it be something with the HDMI board on your TV?
I've suspected this but will first try a replacement firestick 4k and see if that helps. Given that switching off the firestick resolves it I thought it might be causing interference near the HDMI board but that probably doesn't make sense.
post #2088 of 2701 Old 12-16-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
UHD Addict

Wow!! They have a great deal on the FireTV 4k stick right now. It's $15 off. Then if you enter a promotional code, you get $25 more off. And then if you use the Amazon card you get 15% off the purchase. I had ordered one on Saturday but called in because of the lower price. So they gave me a $20 promotional credit. So my final cost after the credit they gave me and the 15% back will only be around $2 for the Fire TV 4K stick.

I wanted to get one as a spare or for travel since the price was so low.

And there is no way I would want to pay full price for it later. If I had one of my launch ones crap out on me in the middle of the year. WHen they are full price.

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-16-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #2089 of 2701 Old 12-16-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Wow!! They have a great deal on the FireTV 4k stick right now. It's $15 off. Then if you enter a promotional code, you get $25 more off. And then if you use the Amazon card you get 15% off the purchase. I had ordered one on Saturday but called in because of the lower price. So they gave me a $20 promotional credit. So my final cost after the credit they gave me and the 15% back will only be around $2 for the Fire TV 4K stick.

I wanted to get one as a spare or to take with me since the price was so low.

Not quite. It's $15 off, but the promo code is for just $10.

They say "$25 off with the promo code", but they mean the $15 off plus the $10 promo. So in the end, $25, same as on Black Friday.
post #2090 of 2701 Old 12-16-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I wanted to get one as a spare or for travel since the price was so low.

And there is no way I would want to pay full price for it later. If I had one of my launch ones crap out on me in the middle of the year. WHen they are full price.
I don’t know how you pulled that off. Since I already ordered the stick for $25 off (and still waiting to ship) it wouldn’t let me apply the code again. So I talked to support and they wouldn’t do anything for me, said the code was for limited accounts, even though it’s saying I can’t use it because I’ve already used it.
post #2091 of 2701 Old 12-16-2019, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Not quite. It's $15 off, but the promo code is for just $10.

They say "$25 off with the promo code", but they mean the $15 off plus the $10 promo. So in the end, $25, same as on Black Friday.
Sweet!! Then I got an even better deal then since they gave me the $20 credit to use toward my next purchase.

post #2092 of 2701 Old 12-16-2019, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
UHD Addict

Quote:
I don’t know how you pulled that off. Since I already ordered the stick for $25 off (and still waiting to ship) it wouldn’t let me apply the code again. So I talked to support and they wouldn’t do anything for me, said the code was for limited accounts, even though it’s saying I can’t use it because I’ve already used it.
Yes. I ordered it on Saturday and had the $25 off the $50 price. I saw the lower price today and had them call me. The page showed that you could get $25 off, even though the price was reduced. But since you could only use the code once, they gave me the credit. I was on the phone around ten minutes. The CSR had me on hold for a few minutes and when he came back he said that they could apply a $20 credit.

Plus it's backordered and my unit won;t even ship until next week. Which is another reason I pressed them to be able to do something.

post #2093 of 2701 Old 12-16-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes. I ordered it on Saturday and had the $25 off the $50 price. I saw the lower price today and had them call me. The page showed that you could get $25 off, even though the price was reduced. But since you could only use the code once, they gave me the credit. I was on the phone around ten minutes. The CSR had me on hold for a few minutes and when he came back he said that they could apply a $20 credit.

Plus it's backordered and my unit won;t even ship until next week. Which is another reason I pressed them to be able to do something.
Yeah I’m in the same boat with the back order and made the same argument. I was also very polite. They wouldn’t do anything for me.
post #2094 of 2701 Old 12-16-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I have a LG b9 and my firestick and One X have serious problems if both devices are plugged into the HDMI ports. My firestick is on HDMI 4 and One X on HDMI 1. If my firestick is on sleep or switched on then the One X feed will constantly flicker. I've tried different HDMI cables for the One X
and it makes no difference.

Under your Firestick settings trying switching off Equipment Control. You can also try some of the settings under Manage Equipment and see if something there might make a difference.
post #2095 of 2701 Old 12-17-2019, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Not sure if this was covered before, could not find a reference readily in a search.

When I replaced my Roku Ultra with a Fire TV Stick 4k, I no longer got the short message on my TV when I adjusted volume, using the same HDMI input and no AVR settings changes. CEC is off. What solved this was going into Display & Sounds and setting Dynamic Range Settings to Adaptive. Somehow setting to Always HDR, the default, kept the AVR from overlaying the message.

AVR is a Yamaha 3060 and the TV is an LG OLED65C6. Fire TV Stick going into AVR, then to TV.

BTW, I was on a back order for my Stick, but it arrived yesterday despite being slated for shipping after Christmas. Still getting used to it.
post #2096 of 2701 Old 12-23-2019, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Does anybody have any insight into why Netflix and Disney+ don't do Atmos for the FireStick 4K? I guess I don't understand as there doesn't appear to be any actual technical limitations on the device. Is it a competition thing?

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" Screen, FireTV Cube (2nd Gen), Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, PSA and Def Tech Speakers
post #2097 of 2701 Old 12-23-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Official 2018 (new) FireTV Stick 4K--Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Dolby Atmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Does anybody have any insight into why Netflix and Disney+ don't do Atmos for the FireStick 4K? I guess I don't understand as there doesn't appear to be any actual technical limitations on the device. Is it a competition thing?

I saw this quote from this article online.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dig...s-sound/%3Famp

“We recently discovered an extremely vexing situation for Netflix users hoping to enjoy Dolby Atmos sound. The Netflix app currently requires that playback devices be capable of decoding Dolby Atmos natively, instead of simply being able to passthrough Dolby Atmos to an Atmos-capable soundbar or A/V receiver. The only devices we are aware of that meet this stringent standard are the Apple TV 4K and 2017 or newer LG OLED TVs. Using the Netflix app on Nvidia Shield TV or select Roku and Amazon Fire TV devices — even though they can pass through Dolby Atmos — will still limit you to 5.1 surround sound.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
naustin likes this.
post #2098 of 2701 Old 12-23-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 518
The Amazon Fire tv cube 2nd generation cube Netflix app does have Dolby Atmos did+. Sane as Apple TV 4K. Prior fire devices including the 4k stick did not.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 . pioneer lx500 uhd blu ray players
atv4k 2nd gen cube, roku ultra 2019
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-Q90R ZA soundbar
post #2099 of 2701 Old 12-23-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
The Amazon Fire tv cube 2nd generation cube Netflix app does have Dolby Atmos did+. Sane as Apple TV 4K. Prior fire devices including the 4k stick did not.

What? It does? Nice, looks like I’ll have to get that one.

post #2100 of 2701 Old 12-23-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
What? It does? Nice, looks like I’ll have to get that one.

Yes now if they get they’re act together on the Disney + for atmos and the atv+ app

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 . pioneer lx500 uhd blu ray players
atv4k 2nd gen cube, roku ultra 2019
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-Q90R ZA soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page