Official 2018 (new) FireTV Stick 4K--Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Dolby Atmos - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1202Likes

post #2461 of 2820 Old 03-10-2020, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Don't know if anyone has run into this issue, but I've been having problems with my remotes after the recent Firestick 4K update. Prior to the latest update, I could use the Sony TV remote or the TV function on my Harmony 650 to control the Firestick, except for the hamburger menu. I assume commands were passed thru CEC from the TV to the Firestick. Since the update, this no longer works and only the Firestick remote will have any effect. Thank you in advance for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2820 Old 03-10-2020, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 136
For my LG TV I need to set the TV to the tuner source and then back to the HDMI input for the Fire TV 4K.

For my really old Panasonic TV, I need to set the 'link' for the HDMI input of the Fire TV.

You basically need to convince the TV to pass the commands on to the HDMI port.

LeRoy

LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ920, Panasonic DP-UB820, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AT&T Gigabit Internet & U-verse
post #2463 of 2820 Old 03-11-2020, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
Don't know if anyone has run into this issue, but I've been having problems with my remotes after the recent Firestick 4K update. Prior to the latest update, I could use the Sony TV remote or the TV function on my Harmony 650 to control the Firestick, except for the hamburger menu. I assume commands were passed thru CEC from the TV to the Firestick. Since the update, this no longer works and only the Firestick remote will have any effect. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

I use my Yamaha receiver remote to control my FireTV Stick 4K, but at least once a week the stick forgets how to do CEC even though it's enabled. Rebooting the stick always fixes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2464 of 2820 Old 03-11-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abilyeu View Post
I use my Yamaha receiver remote to control my FireTV Stick 4K, but at least once a week the stick forgets how to do CEC even though it's enabled. Rebooting the stick always fixes it.

I've rebooted the stick and it still didn't work. Will try that again, but not optimistic.
post #2465 of 2820 Old 03-12-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
I've rebooted the stick and it still didn't work. Will try that again, but not optimistic.

Well, the second time was the charm. I rebooted the stick and the remotes started working. Thanks to all for the help.
aaronwt likes this.
post #2466 of 2820 Old 03-13-2020, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2024 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Since the Fire Stick 4K came out I have been plagued with sporadic Audio dropouts so I rarely used the Stick except to download firmware updates.

Between the various firmware updates and switching from best available audio to DD+ I'm finally free of audio dropouts.
kokishin likes this.
post #2467 of 2820 Old 03-13-2020, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I currently have an LG C6 OLED and I got a fire stick 4k as a present. Can anyone confirm if the quality of the streams are any better on the stick vs the ones on the tv? In other words does the stick offer me any advantages over the smart tv versions?
post #2468 of 2820 Old 03-13-2020, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejosh View Post
I currently have an LG C6 OLED and I got a fire stick 4k as a present. Can anyone confirm if the quality of the streams are any better on the stick vs the ones on the tv? In other words does the stick offer me any advantages over the smart tv versions?

I like the FireTV remote better personally. The quality should be the same. There are more apps on the Stick (except Vudu).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2469 of 2820 Old 03-13-2020, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5752 Post(s)
Liked: 3846
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
I like the FireTV remote better personally. The quality should be the same. There are more apps on the Stick (except Vudu).

The only think I hate is the ads.... Especially while watching Prime Video.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #2470 of 2820 Old 03-14-2020, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
I have a C9 so I'm not sure how out of date the C6 line is. But I disagree that the quality of the apps should be about the same. They should be far superior through your OLED. Aside from auto rez switching, auto color spacing, matching framerate, no HDMI handshake issues, less judder, etc.... there's awesome support for Atmos audio through most apps that support it. It's really no contest. The only thing streamers are good for are the apps that LG doesn't support.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #2471 of 2820 Old 03-14-2020, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post
I have a C9 so I'm not sure how out of date the C6 line is. But I disagree that the quality of the apps should be about the same. They should be far superior through your OLED. Aside from auto rez switching, auto color spacing, matching framerate, no HDMI handshake issues, less judder, etc.... there's awesome support for Atmos audio through most apps that support it. It's really no contest. The only thing streamers are good for are the apps that LG doesn't support.

The audio available out of a C6 (or any of the models that year), whether via optical or ARC, is at best DD 5.1 and very occasionally DD+. No Atmos.
galonzo likes this.
post #2472 of 2820 Old 03-14-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post

Thank you for the response.
post #2473 of 2820 Old 03-14-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post

Ok thanks. I should have been clearer I meant visual quality only. I don't currently have any audio setup other than TV speakers due to my living situation. All that stuff is in storage.

Basically there is no reason to use the stick based on what you said.
post #2474 of 2820 Old 03-15-2020, 09:44 AM
fcb
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Much better control of subtitles, for one thing. They are unacceptably large using my c9's apps; with the firestick I can shrink them down a bit.
unclejosh and galonzo like this.

Fred Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.Just ain't enough good stuff! LG C9 77; RX-V3900; Ohm Walsh F-5015; Tivo Series 6; Firestick 4K
post #2475 of 2820 Old 03-26-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Thanks to all on this forum I now have NF with Dolby Vision and Atmos!

I was quite a slog, no clear instructions I could find. I had Kodi 18.3 installed, but I rarely used it, only for 1080p content if that. Plex and Jellyfin are my tools of choice. I read here I needed Kodi 19, so I upgraded to that, but the app for NF would not satisfy dependencies. Tried to find a way to roll back and keep my settings, but after hours of research I gave up and nuked my install. Reinstalled 18.6, but found I needed the 32 bit version, not the 64 bit version. Finally got that installed and running, and had a hard time getting the repository I needed uploaded to the FS Kodi install. Discovered Kodi can see my laptop using the last option on the list - sorry can't recall the name, but started with a Z. Once I got that NF addon installed easily.

Went through and adjusted all the various settings to get 7.1 raw output fired up NF, wow cludgy interface, best option is to load what ever I want to watch into my watch list, Then played something and got a small square image, not anywhere near UHD. After more digging I found an option to adjust the video to the correct format, same with audio. So after much time I got there, might have been easier to go out and buy a Sheild, but not worth it.

One thing I did find is that no need to jump through hoops to get DV, once it loads it's there, no backing out and in again as posted here a while ago. Atmos pops in quickly and all in all it works.
DougDingle likes this.
post #2476 of 2820 Old 03-26-2020, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Thanks to all on this forum I now have NF with Dolby Vision and Atmos!

I was quite a slog, no clear instructions I could find. I had Kodi 18.3 installed, but I rarely used it, only for 1080p content if that. Plex and Jellyfin are my tools of choice. I read here I needed Kodi 19, so I upgraded to that, but the app for NF would not satisfy dependencies. Tried to find a way to roll back and keep my settings, but after hours of research I gave up and nuked my install. Reinstalled 18.6, but found I needed the 32 bit version, not the 64 bit version. Finally got that installed and running, and had a hard time getting the repository I needed uploaded to the FS Kodi install. Discovered Kodi can see my laptop using the last option on the list - sorry can't recall the name, but started with a Z. Once I got that NF addon installed easily.

Went through and adjusted all the various settings to get 7.1 raw output fired up NF, wow cludgy interface, best option is to load what ever I want to watch into my watch list, Then played something and got a small square image, not anywhere near UHD. After more digging I found an option to adjust the video to the correct format, same with audio. So after much time I got there, might have been easier to go out and buy a Sheild, but not worth it.

One thing I did find is that no need to jump through hoops to get DV, once it loads it's there, no backing out and in again as posted here a while ago. Atmos pops in quickly and all in all it works.
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/

18.6 added DV support to Leia, you don’t need 19 anymore. Just use the Frisch Fire TV test build posted here That one seems to work best on the Fire TV. You can also change the Kodi skin so it looks more like the official Netflix app. Aeon Nox Silvio has a “My Flix” menu setup I like.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #2477 of 2820 Old 03-26-2020, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Since the Fire Stick 4K came out I have been plagued with sporadic Audio dropouts so I rarely used the Stick except to download firmware updates.

Between the various firmware updates and switching from best available audio to DD+ I'm finally free of audio dropouts.
I've been plagued with audio dropouts while listening to amazon music for quite some time, never with the videos. I find resetting the stick helped for a short while but the dropouts eventually return.

I tried your idea today setting the stick for DD+ and so far, no dropouts on amazon music.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #2478 of 2820 Old 03-28-2020, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm wondering if anyone else is having a problem similar to mine with the Fire TV Stick 4K. I have it connected directly to my Onkyo TX-NR3008 which outputs to a Panasonic TC-P55VT50 plasma, but when I enable the Match Original Frame Rate feature, the frame rate stays fixed at 60fps, even on content which should clearly be 23.976fps, such as movies on Amazon Prime. I assume this is an HDCP issue due to my old (but still excellent) receiver, but oddly, when I force 24fps output via cycling through the available resolutions in the hidden resolution menu, the output switches to 1080p/24 with no problem and stays there (including on Netflix, which I understand is not the case using the Match Original Frame Rate feature). When I connect the Fire TV Stick directly to the TV, the Match Original Frame Rate function works correctly; I get the 'switching frame rate' message screen every time. It seems odd that it works on a TV but not on a receiver that were both manufactured at pretty much the same time.

wfgds
post #2479 of 2820 Old 03-30-2020, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I just plug it to the Panasonic Oled EZ950 and although the TV is connected with wire to the network the stick cannot see the network .Does anyone knows why ?
post #2480 of 2820 Old 03-30-2020, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris Asimakopoulos View Post
I just plug it to the Panasonic Oled EZ950 and although the TV is connected with wire to the network the stick cannot see the network .Does anyone knows why ?
The stick won't get the internet from the TV. Unless you have an add-on Ethernet adapter (even that wouldn't kludge to your TV but would need an Ethernet cable run from router, access point or Ethernet switch), you'll need to connect the stick to WiFi. Go into settings and network to set it up.

galonzo likes this.
post #2481 of 2820 Old 03-30-2020, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
The stick won't get the internet from the TV. Unless you have an add-on Ethernet adapter (even that wouldn't kludge to your TV but would need an Ethernet cable run from router, access point or Ethernet switch), you'll need to connect the stick to WiFi. Go into settings and network to set it up.

The thing is that I connected with the Wifi of my router and I can see everything .The problem is that when I use ES file explorer I can see the Lan and my devices like Laptop , Tv but not the Synology which I saw it before
post #2482 of 2820 Old 03-30-2020, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I've been eyeing the shield since it's been the go to recommendation, but already have multiple fire sticks. No ties to alexa, actually a google house hold other than the streaming sticks.

That all being said, my HT needs a streaming device. Theater is 5.1.2, does the latest 4k stick provide fully atmos support on Disney+, Netflix, Prime, and MKVs? Most of what we watch there will be MKVs and Disney+ for the kids. I came across someone's google sheet comparing all streaming devices including consoles and BR Players and the information appeared to indicate the stick could play DD+ with Atmos (EC3_JOC) but not Dolby Atmos (AC4) I don't know what that difference is haha.. what format are the audio tracks on a BR? If I backup my content for streaming locally will atmos play over my atmos speakers or not..?

Thanks all!
post #2483 of 2820 Old 03-31-2020, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 97
The stick does the streaming version of Atmos, but not the TrueHD version which is on blu-rays and MKVs ripped from them.

What I use for playback of my Plex library is a Vero 4K. Less expensive than the Shield, and the audio is amazing.
galonzo and anothermib like this.
post #2484 of 2820 Old 03-31-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wolfer View Post
The stick does the streaming version of Atmos, but not the TrueHD version which is on blu-rays and MKVs ripped from them.

What I use for playback of my Plex library is a Vero 4K. Less expensive than the Shield, and the audio is amazing.
I looked at that this morning and found a thread noting the Vero 4k couldn't handle streaming Netflix. I dont really want multiple devices. If I went streaming and purpose built mkv player I'd build a madvr tonemapper htpc
post #2485 of 2820 Old 03-31-2020, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked: 421
For some reason my stick has problems with displaying 4K using Netflix, Disney+, and YouTube, but not Prime. Are those three services throttling there output during our health crisis? I checked my settings for each app and they are set correctly I think. Maybe I am missing a spec somewhere. I don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jack
post #2486 of 2820 Old 04-01-2020, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
For some reason my stick has problems with displaying 4K using Netflix, Disney+, and YouTube, but not Prime. Are those three services throttling there output during our health crisis?
They are indeed, though that might not be your issue. I am currently still getting HDR and Dolby Vision in my area, but some more populated areas and all of Europe are being throttled. Some areas are even downgraded to SD at this time.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #2487 of 2820 Old 04-01-2020, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin912 View Post
I looked at that this morning and found a thread noting the Vero 4k couldn't handle streaming Netflix. I dont really want multiple devices. If I went streaming and purpose built mkv player I'd build a madvr tonemapper htpc

I don’t think there is a device that supports all the usual application cases in 4k and atmos really well. One might think that companies like Apple or Amazon should have the knowledge and the ambition to develop such a box, but apparently that is not the case. Many people seem to be happy with a combination of a network streamer and an MKV streamer.
FWIW there is now a Netflix add on for the Vero 4k (or Kodi in general) that supports Atmos. However, it is not an official Netflix client and the UI is not as nice as usual.
post #2488 of 2820 Old 04-01-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermib View Post
Quote:

I don’️t think there is a device that supports all the usual application cases in 4k and atmos really well. One might think that companies like Apple or Amazon should have the knowledge and the ambition to develop such a box, but apparently that is not the case. Many people seem to be happy with a combination of a network streamer and an MKV streamer.
FWIW there is now a Netflix add on for the Vero 4k (or Kodi in general) that supports Atmos. However, it is not an official Netflix client and the UI is not as nice as usual.
Yea, but that's limited to 720p or worse I'm sure.

I think I'll jump on the shield train was hoping the cube or stick could save me a few bucks.
post #2489 of 2820 Old 04-01-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
After much testing, even though YouTube supports HDR, the colors are way undersaturated. I compared this to my built in YouTube app on my LG OLED. What I noticed is that most of the HDR material in different apps on the FireTV (Prime Video, Movies Anywhere, Apple TV app) show the HDR BT2020 header when I press info. On YouTube it doesn't, it only says HDR. Here is a great demo to compare on YouTube.

Last edited by beardontwalk123; 04-01-2020 at 12:12 PM.
post #2490 of 2820 Old 04-02-2020, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Yea, but that's limited to 720p or worse I'm sure.

I think I'll jump on the shield train was hoping the cube or stick could save me a few bucks.
No the NF Kodi plug in does UHD very well as well as Atmos and DV. It has some issues that require tweaking at least on my system.. Audio sync need to be reset often, subtitles have to be downloaded even when NF has them, and color can get scrambled when starting playback. After the first few times making the adjustments it's only a minute or so, so no big deal. It's better than buying another box.

I'm going to have to find a dedicated Kodi thread and see if I 'm doing something wrong. The kodi forums are far from user friendly for beginners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page