Official 2018 (new) FireTV Stick 4K--Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Dolby Atmos - Page 84 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1189Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2491 of 2796 Old 04-02-2020, 03:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin912 View Post
Yea, but that's limited to 720p or worse I'm sure.

I think I'll jump on the shield train was hoping the cube or stick could save me a few bucks.
No the NF Kodi plug in does UHD very well as well as Atmos and DV. It has some issues that require tweaking at least on my system.. Audio sync need to be reset often, subtitles have to be downloaded even when NF has them, and color can get scrambled when starting playback. After the first few times making the adjustments it's only a minute or so, so no big deal. It's better than buying another box.

I'm going to have to find a dedicated Kodi thread and see if I 'm doing something wrong. The kodi forums are far from user friendly for beginners.
I thought when I tried this content was mostly in 720p. Go watch the avengers, it's 720p but available in 4k on other devices.
blazin912 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2492 of 2796 Old 04-02-2020, 04:40 AM
Senior Member
 
LG8600User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
After much testing, even though YouTube supports HDR, the colors are way undersaturated. I compared this to my built in YouTube app on my LG OLED. What I noticed is that most of the HDR material in different apps on the FireTV (Prime Video, Movies Anywhere, Apple TV app) show the HDR BT2020 header when I press info. On YouTube it doesn't, it only says HDR. Here is a great demo to compare on YouTube. https://youtu.be/ESxn1cLz-Ig

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I can confirm this limitation/bug in the current YT app (1.5.228.0).


YT apps on LG/Roku (which both support HDR10 and HLG) properly output BT2020.
galonzo likes this.
LG8600User is offline  
post #2493 of 2796 Old 04-02-2020, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 2165
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin912 View Post
I thought when I tried this content was mostly in 720p. Go watch the avengers, it's 720p but available in 4k on other devices.
Avengers is 1080p on Netflix (and on Apple's iTunes Movie service, since there's currently a "disagreement" between them and Disney), and with very few exceptions, you'll only get UHD with Netflix originals if you pay for the UHD tier of service with them.
naustin likes this.

Main: XBR-85X950H | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | 2019 Shield Pro | PS4 Pro | CCU
2nd: XBR-65X950G | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | TiVo Mini | ATV (4thGen)
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K | Roku P+ (4630)
FS - Dr. Strangelove (1964) and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2494 of 2796 Old 04-02-2020, 08:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Avengers is 1080p on Netflix (and on Apple's iTunes Movie service, since there's currently a "disagreement" between them and Disney), and with very few exceptions, you'll only get UHD with Netflix originals if you pay for the UHD tier of service with them.
Sorry my mistake, when I ran my test I knew I was getting 720p but couldn't remeber what I saw on the fire stick.. either way, only some devices are "allowed" to get 1080p windows HTPC cannot get 1080p with kodi from my test, maybe linux based can?
blazin912 is offline  
post #2495 of 2796 Old 04-02-2020, 10:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin912 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Avengers is 1080p on Netflix (and on Apple's iTunes Movie service, since there's currently a "disagreement" between them and Disney), and with very few exceptions, you'll only get UHD with Netflix originals if you pay for the UHD tier of service with them.
Sorry my mistake, when I ran my test I knew I was getting 720p but couldn't remeber what I saw on the fire stick.. either way, only some devices are "allowed" to get 1080p windows HTPC cannot get 1080p with kodi from my test, maybe linux based can?
Annnnd just fired up a raspberry pi again to confirm its worse than that. 540p for infinity war... Barf. That's why a sanctioned device is required.. fire stick
aaronwt likes this.
blazin912 is offline  
post #2496 of 2796 Old 04-02-2020, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
beardontwalk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clear Lake, IA
Posts: 2,287
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
I can confirm this limitation/bug in the current YT app (1.5.228.0).


YT apps on LG/Roku (which both support HDR10 and HLG) properly output BT2020.
What's the best way to report this bug to Amazon?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
beardontwalk123 is offline  
post #2497 of 2796 Old 04-02-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougDingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Coast
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
What's the best way to report this bug to Amazon?
Open a window and yell it out into the street. Your chances of them paying attention and fixing it will be identical to actually reporting it directly to them as a bug.

I subscribe to Amazon Prime, Netflix 4K, Disney+ and CBS All Access, and none of them seem to give a crap about bugs and problems with their apps. Disney+, being the new kid on the block and wanting to own the world, seems to be a little more responsive and actually fixes stuff. But then they slipstream the fix into the apps without notifying the end user that there's a new version of the app to download - they just do a forced silent update.

Example: On launch, the Disney+ app on my LG OLED looked stunning, but only had 2 channel stereo audio. I filed a bug report, and about three weeks later, without any notice from Disney or LG, and without being informed the app had an update, the app suddenly had Dolby 5.1 support.
DougDingle is offline  
post #2498 of 2796 Old 04-02-2020, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 4,237
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
They are indeed, though that might not be your issue. I am currently still getting HDR and Dolby Vision in my area, but some more populated areas and all of Europe are being throttled. Some areas are even downgraded to SD at this time.
I just ran a Netflix 4K test using the internal app on my Sony 900F and it played at 4K according to the display key. Then I tried YouTube 4K and the display key didn’t show any stats. Then I played Prime and Disney+. Same thing, no display of stats.

On the firestick Netflix the originals all show the DV symbol in the upper right corner when starting but 1080P when the display button is hit. Looks like a bug with FS.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #2499 of 2796 Old 04-04-2020, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Boonies, MA
Posts: 18,484
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I just ran a Netflix 4K test using the internal app on my Sony 900F and it played at 4K according to the display key. Then I tried YouTube 4K and the display key didn’t show any stats. Then I played Prime and Disney+. Same thing, no display of stats.

On the firestick Netflix the originals all show the DV symbol in the upper right corner when starting but 1080P when the display button is hit. Looks like a bug with FS.
I’m confused. Are you saying the Fire Stick’s info overlay is showing 1080p? If you are looking at the info on your TV and it’s saying 1080p then something else is going on because Netflix doesn’t change resolutions.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
post #2500 of 2796 Old 04-04-2020, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
What's the best way to report this bug to Amazon?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Open a window and yell it out into the street. Your chances of them paying attention and fixing it will be identical to actually reporting it directly to them as a bug.

I subscribe to Amazon Prime, Netflix 4K, Disney+ and CBS All Access, and none of them seem to give a crap about bugs and problems with their apps. Disney+, being the new kid on the block and wanting to own the world, seems to be a little more responsive and actually fixes stuff. But then they slipstream the fix into the apps without notifying the end user that there's a new version of the app to download - they just do a forced silent update.

Example: On launch, the Disney+ app on my LG OLED looked stunning, but only had 2 channel stereo audio. I filed a bug report, and about three weeks later, without any notice from Disney or LG, and without being informed the app had an update, the app suddenly had Dolby 5.1 support.
I concur with Doug.

I have complained many times to amazon about amazon music having momentary dropouts or just stopping in the middle of playing a track. They claim their engineers will check the logs on my FTV Stick 4K but there is never any follow up.

What I do now (if I'm in the mood), is call to complain (knowing nothing will be resolved) and then ask for compensation for the hassle of reporting bugs with no followup from the last time I reported a bug. Typically I can get a $10 or $15 credit applied to my account for anything sold/shipped by amazon. Sometimes they try to lowball me on the credit but I push back and negotiate a better deal, or I ask to escalate to a supervisor and they are more amenable to a better credit.

Whoever the amazon engineers are, they seem to be totally isolated from their customers and perhaps lol at us.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
kokishin is online now  
post #2501 of 2796 Old 04-04-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougDingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Coast
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Whoever the amazon engineers are, they seem to be totally isolated from their customers and perhaps lol at us.

That would be my guess for most of the developers of streaming service apps.

As long as the number of subscribers keep rising, there is little to no incentive for them to spend time and money fixing anything.

I do understand that they have to make suitable builds for many, many hardware platforms, not just the half dozen hardware streamer devices, but also the endless numbers of 'smart' TVs where conforming to scores of ever changing SDK's is a whack-a-mole nightmare. But when Amazon won't fix their app on Amazon hardware, someone needs to be slapped upside the head.
galonzo likes this.
DougDingle is offline  
post #2502 of 2796 Old 04-05-2020, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 4,237
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
That would be my guess for most of the developers of streaming service apps.

As long as the number of subscribers keep rising, there is little to no incentive for them to spend time and money fixing anything.

I do understand that they have to make suitable builds for many, many hardware platforms, not just the half dozen hardware streamer devices, but also the endless numbers of 'smart' TVs where conforming to scores of ever changing SDK's is a whack-a-mole nightmare. But when Amazon won't fix their app on Amazon hardware, someone needs to be slapped upside the head.
I'm not sure if I totally understand the tech side of this but why don't the hardware device companys, Roku, Amazon, Shield, etc., just publish the interface standards for both the hardware and the software, and leave it up to the program suppliers to make their streams match up with the various hardware devices?

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #2503 of 2796 Old 04-06-2020, 08:28 AM
Senior Member
 
LG8600User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I'm not sure if I totally understand the tech side of this but why don't the hardware device companys, Roku, Amazon, Shield, etc., just publish the interface standards for both the hardware and the software, and leave it up to the program suppliers to make their streams match up with the various hardware devices?
They already do - they all have developer programs with published SDKs/APIs/Tools/Specs/etc - and therein lies the "problem":

Not all devices SDKs/APIs/Specs are equal, and, to further compound the issue, they change over time (to enable new/better/changed functionality, fix bugs, create/eliminate limitations, add new API calls, deprecate API calls, support new hardware, eliminate/limit support for older hardware, support new UI elements/changes, support platform management changes, and on and on)

They can even have identical hardware (CPU/chipset/etc), but with significant software platform differences/changes (different OS/Firmware, with updates over time) that have to be taken into account.

So they do "make sure the streams match up with the hardware devices", but those hardware devices are not monolithic - there are different models even with a given platform, and the device OS/firmware/APIs change over time, and all of that has to be taken into account on both the server and client sides (e.g. Amazon releases a new FireOS version, and/or a new Fire TV Home version, app developers (NetFlix, Apple TV) then release app updates to account for new/changed APIs/functionality/etc).

Effectively all these devices are just use-specific computers, just like more "traditional" computers with Operating System updates and upgrades and fixes and patches (leading to new/changed APIs etc), running on different hardware platforms/mixes, requiring both constant OS/hardware driver/app updates (for security/compatibility/functionality/usability/etc) - the difference being the OS/driver/app updates/upgrades are all integrated and automated and mostly beyond our control (officially).

And just like in the the rest of the computing-sphere, streaming app developers have to keep up with all the OS/API changes and updates on all the different platforms they develop streaming apps for - they design their app/streaming framework to be as flexible and abstracted as possible for/from the hardware/OS/API/platform differences, but ultimately there are differences (e.g. HDR10 versus Dolby Vision, or EAC3-JOC Atmos versus PCM MAT 2.0 Atmos) which lead to different experiences in terms of audio/video/usability - and some companies just have better app designs and/or are just better at tracking and maintaining their client apps.

And all of this is why you see so many folks hereabouts using multiple streaming devices/platforms/apps - to try and maximize their experiences for any given content/service by using the device/app that best suits their preferences, knowing all the advantages/disadvantages that exist for all/any of them.
DougDingle and naustin like this.
LG8600User is offline  
post #2504 of 2796 Old 04-06-2020, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 4,237
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
They already do - they all have developer programs with published SDKs/APIs/Tools/Specs/etc - and therein lies the "problem":

Not all devices SDKs/APIs/Specs are equal, and, to further compound the issue, they change over time (to enable new/better/changed functionality, fix bugs, create/eliminate limitations, add new API calls, deprecate API calls, support new hardware, eliminate/limit support for older hardware, support new UI elements/changes, support platform management changes, and on and on)

They can even have identical hardware (CPU/chipset/etc), but with significant software platform differences/changes (different OS/Firmware, with updates over time) that have to be taken into account.

So they do "make sure the streams match up with the hardware devices", but those hardware devices are not monolithic - there are different models even with a given platform, and the device OS/firmware/APIs change over time, and all of that has to be taken into account on both the server and client sides (e.g. Amazon releases a new FireOS version, and/or a new Fire TV Home version, app developers (NetFlix, Apple TV) then release app updates to account for new/changed APIs/functionality/etc).

Effectively all these devices are just use-specific computers, just like more "traditional" computers with Operating System updates and upgrades and fixes and patches (leading to new/changed APIs etc), running on different hardware platforms/mixes, requiring both constant OS/hardware driver/app updates (for security/compatibility/functionality/usability/etc) - the difference being the OS/driver/app updates/upgrades are all integrated and automated and mostly beyond our control (officially).

And just like in the the rest of the computing-sphere, streaming app developers have to keep up with all the OS/API changes and updates on all the different platforms they develop streaming apps for - they design their app/streaming framework to be as flexible and abstracted as possible for/from the hardware/OS/API/platform differences, but ultimately there are differences (e.g. HDR10 versus Dolby Vision, or EAC3-JOC Atmos versus PCM MAT 2.0 Atmos) which lead to different experiences in terms of audio/video/usability - and some companies just have better app designs and/or are just better at tracking and maintaining their client apps.

And all of this is why you see so many folks hereabouts using multiple streaming devices/platforms/apps - to try and maximize their experiences for any given content/service by using the device/app that best suits their preferences, knowing all the advantages/disadvantages that exist for all/any of them.
Perhaps Apple had it right all along.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #2505 of 2796 Old 04-06-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Perhaps Apple had it right all along.
The AppleTV4K are my favorite streamers but I also have FTV4K sticks & Roku Ultras on my TVs. FYI, Apple has Atmos issues with Netflix currently. Nothing is perfect.
naustin is offline  
post #2506 of 2796 Old 04-07-2020, 11:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Alright, so I have this firestick and all the apps work perfectly save two. For some reason neither Netflix nor the Disney+ app is recognizing that I have a 4K TV (Element E4SFT5017) and therefore doesn't show me any titles in 4K. Absolutely every other app that offers 4K content (for which I have a subscription) plays 4K. Idk if it's because the TV doesn't switch between 1080 and 4k unless it detects a signal or if it's the sticks settings or what. Anybody else have this problem? Solutions
seelsa73 is offline  
post #2507 of 2796 Old 04-08-2020, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
fredxr2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by seelsa73 View Post
Alright, so I have this firestick and all the apps work perfectly save two. For some reason neither Netflix nor the Disney+ app is recognizing that I have a 4K TV (Element E4SFT5017) and therefore doesn't show me any titles in 4K. Absolutely every other app that offers 4K content (for which I have a subscription) plays 4K. Idk if it's because the TV doesn't switch between 1080 and 4k unless it detects a signal or if it's the sticks settings or what. Anybody else have this problem? Solutions

Do you have the 4K plan for Netflix? Also, there are some rumors that Disney+ is throttling streams at the moment.
galonzo likes this.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" Screen, FireTV Cube (2nd Gen), Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, PSA and Def Tech Speakers
fredxr2d2 is online now  
post #2508 of 2796 Old 04-08-2020, 07:09 AM
Member
 
JT01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by seelsa73 View Post
Alright, so I have this firestick and all the apps work perfectly save two. For some reason neither Netflix nor the Disney+ app is recognizing that I have a 4K TV (Element E4SFT5017) and therefore doesn't show me any titles in 4K. Absolutely every other app that offers 4K content (for which I have a subscription) plays 4K. Idk if it's because the TV doesn't switch between 1080 and 4k unless it detects a signal or if it's the sticks settings or what. Anybody else have this problem? Solutions

I have this same problem with Disney+ and Netflix. The only solution I've found is to restart the Firestick 4K. For a few hours all is well, then the problem crops up again. Then a Firestick restart fixes it, etc. TV is Sony X950G - 55. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JT01; 04-09-2020 at 11:35 AM.
JT01 is online now  
post #2509 of 2796 Old 04-08-2020, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
JGrana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Do you have the 4K plan for Netflix? Also, there are some rumors that Disney+ is throttling streams at the moment.
I’m afraid it’s not a rumor...

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=c...f26ac2ca9619b6
JGrana is online now  
post #2510 of 2796 Old 04-08-2020, 07:54 AM
Member
 
JT01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrana View Post

Note, however, that this site is the Disney+ Help Centre. If Center is spelled Centre, it would seem to imply Europe/UK/Canada/Australia, etc.. I don't think they would spell it this way for the US, although I could be wrong. We'll see.
aaronwt, galonzo and naustin like this.
JT01 is online now  
post #2511 of 2796 Old 04-08-2020, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
Note, however, that this site is the Disney+ Help Centre. If Center is spelled Centre, it would seem to imply Europe/UK/Canada/Australia, etc.. I don't think they would spell it this way for the US, although I could be wrong. We'll see.
I just checked the site, it is the site for the USA as well note the wording, and in some circumstances streaming content in HD and UHD formats will be limited or unavailable. Thank you for your patience and understanding. I'll check on my streamers later.
naustin is offline  
post #2512 of 2796 Old 04-08-2020, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrana View Post
That seems to be the case. All I am seeing is Dolby Vision for Marvel & Star Wars Movies. I seem to remember the old Marvel movies were HDR10. Dolby Vision HDR works fine at 1080p which is what I'm seeing on the FireTV. Perhaps someone with non DV displays (like a Samsung) can check on HDR10/2160p.
naustin is offline  
post #2513 of 2796 Old 04-08-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 4,237
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
I have this same problem with Disney+ and Netflix. The only solution I've found is to restart the Firestick 4K. For a few hours all is well, then the problem crops up again. Then a Firestick restart fixes it, etc. TV is Sony X950G - 55 and yes, I do have premium certified cables. Hope this helps.
By restarting do you mean powering off then back on, or pulling the plug and then plugging it back in after 10 seconds or so?

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #2514 of 2796 Old 04-08-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
It may be an example of Disney saving bandwidth where they can. I just checked the same movies on my Roku which can not support Dolby Vision HDR and the Disney movies play in HDR10 2160p.
Taxcheat and galonzo like this.
naustin is offline  
post #2515 of 2796 Old 04-09-2020, 06:02 AM
Member
 
JT01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
By restarting do you mean powering off then back on, or pulling the plug and then plugging it back in after 10 seconds or so?

I'm referring to the restart from the Firestick settings menu - don't remember the exact sequence. But pulling the plug will also work.
JT01 is online now  
post #2516 of 2796 Old 04-09-2020, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Taxcheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
It may be an example of Disney saving bandwidth where they can. I just checked the same movies on my Roku which can not support Dolby Vision HDR and the Disney movies play in HDR10 2160p.

This is exactly what's happening. The US internet infrastructure is doing just fine. Source
galonzo likes this.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
Taxcheat is online now  
post #2517 of 2796 Old 04-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Member
 
JT01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
By restarting do you mean powering off then back on, or pulling the plug and then plugging it back in after 10 seconds or so?
In reference to the Disney+/Netflix problem of suddenly losing 4K DolbyVision/HDR capability, I've found the following works - at least with the Firestick 4k directly connected to an enhanced format HDMI input on my 55" Sony X950G:

Go to Settings - Display + Sounds - Display on the Firestick. If Auto is checked, click on it and the dialog box will say that your attached hardware is not compatible with HDCP 2.2. Of course, you know it is so do the following:

Go to Settings - My Fire Stick on the Firestick and click on the Restart option. When the Firestick restarts, go to Settings - Display + Sounds - Display again. Click on the Auto option and the HDCP 2.2 message is gone and at least for several hours 4K/DolbyVision/HDR will work again. Then restart the Firestick again, etc., ad infinitum.

Not sure if this is a FS problem or an Android TV issue in the Sony, but hopefully either Amazon or the Android TV developers will eventually fix it. Hope this helps.
JT01 is online now  
post #2518 of 2796 Old 04-15-2020, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Disto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrana View Post

NOTE: In light of the concerns expressed by government officials regarding the use of broadband services in this challenging time, I have instituted a measure to lower monthly payments, and in some circumstances payments will be limited or unavailable. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

-Tony
Disto is offline  
post #2519 of 2796 Old 04-15-2020, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Here's the current list of devices that Netflix supports for Atmos on each device's native Netflix app:
  • Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
  • LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
  • Nvidia Shield (2019 models only, even though all other models support Atmos in other apps)
  • Panasonic TVs (2019 or newer models)
  • Pixela 4K Smart Tuner
  • Sony Bravia Android TVs (2018 or newer models)
  • Toshiba TVs (2019 or newer models)
  • Vizio TVs (2018 or newer models)
  • Windows 10 computer or tablet (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
  • Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X

I didn't list the one Amazon device (cube?), because Netflix didn't have it listed when this list was compiled
Netflix, MA, Prime, and Disney+ work with the 2nd gen cube.
galonzo likes this.

-The single digits are where the magic lies.....they deliver a 'touch of god' sensation that sometimes makes the hairs on one's arms stand up. It's hard to describe but it feels like you are there in the recording studio with the artist and "feeling" them move as they are playing the instrument. You can't see them, but you can feel them as movements are happening on the floor below you. - trhought
meles is offline  
post #2520 of 2796 Old 04-16-2020, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Boonies, MA
Posts: 18,484
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
Netflix, MA, Prime, and Disney+ work with the 2nd gen cube.
No Atmos on the AppleTV app tho. There’s no reason why it shouldn’t work.
meles likes this.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off