Official 2018 (new) FireTV Stick 4K--Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Dolby Atmos - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1201Likes

post #2761 of 2812 Old 06-30-2020, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I haven't used this thing other than when I went on a trip back in March. I was hoping I could use it for the Spectrum Cable app since my LG TV does not have it but I cannot get it to work. I was hoping to get rid of the old Xbox 1 I have since that does have the app because it takes up so much space and I only use it for that 1 app. I assume it is some sort of rights issue why the app doesn't work on the stick?

Also it constantly goes into sleep mode every day so i have to unplug and re-plug it in before it works which isn't that feasible in my setup. I don't like having to constantly move my TV stand so i can reach the power cable. I am close to just unhooking it and giving it away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2812 Old 06-30-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejosh View Post
I haven't used this thing other than when I went on a trip back in March. I was hoping I could use it for the Spectrum Cable app since my LG TV does not have it but I cannot get it to work. I was hoping to get rid of the old Xbox 1 I have since that does have the app because it takes up so much space and I only use it for that 1 app. I assume it is some sort of rights issue why the app doesn't work on the stick?

Also it constantly goes into sleep mode every day so i have to unplug and re-plug it in before it works which isn't that feasible in my setup. I don't like having to constantly move my TV stand so i can reach the power cable. I am close to just unhooking it and giving it away.
If you have to unplug it and plug it back in to wake it up there is something wrong. I have 3 FireTV Stick 4ks and 4 other FireTV devices of various types around the house. They all go to sleep and wake up with a push of a button on the remote without any problems.
galonzo likes this.

Mark
post #2763 of 2812 Old 06-30-2020, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Yeah, I double tap a button on the remote and it wakes up. I would like to dig into the settings and change the time outs. I'll be watching something on one of the apps and go get my dinner and 15 minutes later it logs me out of the app and I have to reload the app. Not a big deal but an annoyance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 2812 Old 06-30-2020, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:

Amazon and Spectrum have been in a urinating contest for years. As always, it has to do with money. I don't expect the Spectrum app to ever show up in the Amazon store.

However, you might be disappointed if it did. I have Spectrum, and have the Spectrum app on my phone and on a Lenovo tablet, and when I'm connected with those to Spectrum's wi-fi at home, I can get every channel I normally get on my TV. But when I go out and have 4G service, the number of available channels drops dramatically. No local channels at all, for example, but the premium ones I pay extra for, like HBO and Showtime, continue to be available. It's kind of strange how they decide which channels to show you. I'm sure it has something to do with various contracts, but still...why would I not be able to get local stations that are available to anyone with an antenna? I have never tried it outside the house while connected to a Spectrum 'hot spot' because I don't connect to disease ridden public wi-fi access points.
galonzo likes this.
post #2765 of 2812 Old 06-30-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
If you have to unplug it and plug it back in to wake it up there is something wrong. I have 3 FireTV Stick 4ks and 4 other FireTV devices of various types around the house. They all go to sleep and wake up with a push of a button on the remote without any problems.

Mine does not wake up at all with any press of the buttons. I turn off the TV with it on. Next day when I turn the TV back on, it says no signal and nothing I do with the stick remote does anything until I pull the plug and plug back in. Then it starts up.
post #2766 of 2812 Old 06-30-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Amazon and Spectrum have been in a urinating contest for years. As always, it has to do with money. I don't expect the Spectrum app to ever show up in the Amazon store.

However, you might be disappointed if it did. I have Spectrum, and have the Spectrum app on my phone and on a Lenovo tablet, and when I'm connected with those to Spectrum's wi-fi at home, I can get every channel I normally get on my TV. But when I go out and have 4G service, the number of available channels drops dramatically. No local channels at all, for example, but the premium ones I pay extra for, like HBO and Showtime, continue to be available. It's kind of strange how they decide which channels to show you. I'm sure it has something to do with various contracts, but still...why would I not be able to get local stations that are available to anyone with an antenna? I have never tried it outside the house while connected to a Spectrum 'hot spot' because I don't connect to disease ridden public wi-fi access points.

I only have Spectrum for local channels but I get a few basic channels as well. I don't have any cable boxes at all. I only added the local channels to watch NFL games.

I can view them at work on my phone or Lenovo tablet either on 4G or WiFi. I have the app on my bedroom TV which works great. It also works great on the Xbox 1 but I have an LG as my main TV which doesn't have the app either. I just want to be able to watch local channels on my main TV.
post #2767 of 2812 Old 06-30-2020, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mine does not wake up at all with any press of the buttons. I turn off the TV with it on. Next day when I turn the TV back on, it says no signal and nothing I do with the stick remote does anything until I pull the plug and plug back in. Then it starts up.
That is not normal behavior.

Mark
post #2768 of 2812 Old 06-30-2020, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Your TV may have an USB port that can power the fire TV and will do the power cycle for you with the TV power button. Powering TV from standby to on will likely boot up the fire TV. Some may have concerns about sufficient power but you'd know that if there wasn't enough power. My TV had one USB rated 5V 1A printed on the panel; it worked for the Fire TV 4K Stick.

I had mine setup that way but rarely use it so I went with a smart plug (actually a smart power strip). I can power up or down without having to get up and pull things away from the wall to do it that way.

I agree. It's not normal for that to require a power cycle. My TV didn't like multiple HDMI devices plugged in and had odd issues until I got an HDMI switch. The dedicated HDMI audio out for AVR helped get mine back inline with streamers (it isn't HDCP compatible- the switch solved many problems for me).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
unclejosh and galonzo like this.
post #2769 of 2812 Old 06-30-2020, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Yeah, I double tap a button on the remote and it wakes up. I would like to dig into the settings and change the time outs. I'll be watching something on one of the apps and go get my dinner and 15 minutes later it logs me out of the app and I have to reload the app. Not a big deal but an annoyance.

FYI: https://kinkeadtech.com/how-to-preve...oing-to-sleep/
unclejosh likes this.
post #2770 of 2812 Old 07-01-2020, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 749
So has anyone tried nextDNS to block the ads on various streaming services on their FTV stick and did it work? I haven't had time to mess with it myself much.

LG OLED65B6P
post #2771 of 2812 Old 07-01-2020, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
So has anyone tried nextDNS to block the ads on various streaming services on their FTV stick and did it work? I haven't had time to mess with it myself much.
I don't find these ad-blockers to work. The best you're going to do is to install SmartYoutubeTV. At least that way you'll have youtube without ads.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #2772 of 2812 Old 07-01-2020, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
I don't find these ad-blockers to work. The best you're going to do is to install SmartYoutubeTV. At least that way you'll have youtube without ads.
Really? Even DNS level ad-blocking doesn't work? For the few minutes I messed around with nextDNS on their website, I noticed they have many different filter lists to choose from. There may be a little trial and error at first. If something doesn't work, checking the DNS log, and unblocking only certain domains. I'll have to try it out some time. If/when I do, I'll report here.

LG OLED65B6P
post #2773 of 2812 Old 07-01-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Really? Even DNS level ad-blocking doesn't work? For the few minutes I messed around with nextDNS on their website, I noticed they have many different filter lists to choose from. There may be a little trial and error at first. If something doesn't work, checking the DNS log, and unblocking only certain domains. I'll have to try it out some time. If/when I do, I'll report here.
For ads in video apps, no, they really don’t work.

post #2774 of 2812 Old 07-02-2020, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm running Pi-Hole (the raspberry pi based DNS ad blocker) on two network segments here directly from the router, and while it does a decent job blocking ads on web sites and Android apps running on cell phones/tablets using wi-fi, it has zero effect on video ads in YouTube. I don't know for certain about streaming services, since I only use ones that are ad-free, but I would assume it has no effect on those, either, due to the way those are spooled to the end user - most likely not from outside ad repositories as web sites use, but directly from the service being used.

Ad blockers work on web sites because the sites don't carry the ads, they link to them and it's that link that is blocked. If the ads were located on the sites you're seeing, an ad blocker would be useless.

I have to assume that as the number of people using blockers increases, local ad hosting on the site itself will be the next step advertisers take in the 'ad blocking wars'.
galonzo likes this.
post #2775 of 2812 Old 07-02-2020, 12:47 PM

As I said, there are really only 2 ways to get add-free content on Android based streaming devices-

1. SmartYouTube TV
2. Kodi's (legal) addons. There are some video addons that are in the Kodi repository which are completely legal, like NBC and ABC. They just link to the free content available right off the website, so you get the content without the ads. There's plenty of ad-free content (some vary in quality) to keep you busy for a while.

post #2776 of 2812 Old 07-02-2020, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm running Pi-Hole (the raspberry pi based DNS ad blocker) on two network segments here directly from the router, and while it does a decent job blocking ads on web sites and Android apps running on cell phones/tablets using wi-fi, it has zero effect on video ads in YouTube. I don't know for certain about streaming services, since I only use ones that are ad-free, but I would assume it has no effect on those, either, due to the way those are spooled to the end user - most likely not from outside ad repositories as web sites use, but directly from the service being used.

Ad blockers work on web sites because the sites don't carry the ads, they link to them and it's that link that is blocked. If the ads were located on the sites you're seeing, an ad blocker would be useless.

I have to assume that as the number of people using blockers increases, local ad hosting on the site itself will be the next step advertisers take in the 'ad blocking wars'.
I would think ad blockers that run as browser add-ons, like ublock origin, have access to the code of the webpage loaded in the browser, so they may have some tricks up their sleeves in identifying and blocking ads that are loaded directly from the same domain as wanted content. This is impossible on a DNS level, as that, like you said, can only block specific domains known to host ads. Regardless, for me personally, it's not about seeing the ads. For me it's about these companies tracking and logging everything I do online, storing that data on servers that can be hacked, and sharing that data with other parties for purposes not truly known. If you read most privacy policies, it never states specifically what type of data is shared, specifically with whom, by name, and specifically for what purposes. It's very general. Interest-based targeting advertising needs to move to on-device profiles only. I guess I'm dreaming because I doubt there will ever be any legislation that prevents corporations and by extension, governments, from learning and knowing everything they can about us. 30 years ago, if a company rep showed up on your doorstep and asked to see and copy all of your personal photos and paper files, we'd tell them to go pound sand. Now we just give it up freely.

LG OLED65B6P
post #2777 of 2812 Old 07-03-2020, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
As I said, there are really only 2 ways to get add-free content on Android based streaming devices-

1. SmartYouTube TV
2. Kodi's (legal) addons. There are some video addons that are in the Kodi repository which are completely legal, like NBC and ABC. They just link to the free content available right off the website, so you get the content without the ads. There's plenty of ad-free content (some vary in quality) to keep you busy for a while.
Blokada running on Fire TV is not 100%, but it still does a decent job with Crackle and Tubi TV at the moment. Sites are always adjusting, so everything could change tomorrow. I watched the last season of Miracle Workers and The Last O.G. on the TBS app on a Fire TV device without ads. That would likely be different today. It is always a bit of a whack-a-mole experience trying to find a fool proof ad-blocking solution.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
post #2778 of 2812 Old 07-03-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Blokada running on Fire TV is not 100%, but it still does a decent job with Crackle and Tubi TV at the moment. Sites are always adjusting, so everything could change tomorrow. I watched the last season of Miracle Workers and The Last O.G. on the TBS app on a Fire TV device without ads. That would likely be different today. It is always a bit of a whack-a-mole experience trying to find a fool proof ad-blocking solution.

How does it look when it's working? Does the picture fade to black as it normally would when going to commercial, then come up with the next segment of the show right away? I pay the extra for commercial free CBS All Access, and that's how it looks there.
post #2779 of 2812 Old 07-03-2020, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How does it look when it's working? Does the picture fade to black as it normally would when going to commercial, then come up with the next segment of the show right away? I pay the extra for commercial free CBS All Access, and that's how it looks there.
When it works it is a pretty seamless process. Just as it looks with CBS All Access commercial-free streaming or any other ad-free VOD service.
DougDingle likes this.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
post #2780 of 2812 Old 07-03-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
It doesn’t. There are too many ads and I never found it to be consistent. Just install Kodi and use the video addons that come with it (don’t install any 3rd party addons because they are a bit iffy). You can still try blockada and various ad blockers of the sort but I doubt you’ll get them to work. I never have.

SmartyoutubeTV works, 100% and there’s enough stuff on there to keep you busy for a long time.

post #2781 of 2812 Old 07-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It doesn’t. There are too many ads and I never found it to be consistent. Just install Kodi and use the video addons that come with it (don’t install any 3rd party addons because they are a bit iffy). You can still try blockada and various ad blockers of the sort but I doubt you’ll get them to work. I never have.

SmartyoutubeTV works, 100% and there’s enough stuff on there to keep you busy for a long time.
What doesn't work? You keep referencing SmartYouTubeTV. I think the question was an ad-blocker for more than just YouTube content.

Blokada running on a Fire TV 4K Stick does work for 'some' ad-supported streaming services. I was specific. It has worked with Crackle, Tubi TV and TBS for me recently. That is not a guarantee to anyone reading this that it will in the future. The behavior may be different depending on the device and version of Android. And these services and Blokada update over time and you may then end up with ads again. But, when it is working, there are no ads while viewing content.
no1special likes this.

post #2782 of 2812 Old 07-05-2020, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

$25 off FireTV Stick 4k on Amazon US...promo code 4KFIRETV...one per account.
aaronwt, ncted and Phillihp23 like this.

Mark
post #2783 of 2812 Old 07-05-2020, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
$25 off FireTV Stick 4k on Amazon US...promo code 4KFIRETV...one per account.
Thanks for the heads up...just placed an order for one.

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
post #2784 of 2812 Old 07-06-2020, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Hey guys, could use some help here. I have the pendant and I can't get 4k Atmos from Prime or Netflix, the Disney app works. Prime shows that internet speed needs to be faster but it's connected to 100mbps ethernet. Is there a setting that I need to change? My setup is ftv>denon 3600>epson 5040ube.. thx
post #2785 of 2812 Old 07-06-2020, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
Hey guys, could use some help here. I have the pendant and I can't get 4k Atmos from Prime or Netflix, the Disney app works. Prime shows that internet speed needs to be faster but it's connected to 100mbps ethernet. Is there a setting that I need to change? My setup is ftv>denon 3600>epson 5040ube.. thx
You LAN network speed is not the question. What is the speed of your internet connection?

Mark
post #2786 of 2812 Old 07-06-2020, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 209
@mjwagner
I'm with Spectrum, I get like 200mbps internet. Note that the Disney app works in 4k atmos. Pretty sure YouTube 4k does too just not atmos for some reason.
Also, I've tried the Jack Ryan 4k uhd and others.

Last edited by wpbpete; 07-06-2020 at 08:38 AM.
post #2787 of 2812 Old 07-06-2020, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
For example I have 1 gig internet service.

The first picture is without vpn. Second picture is with vpn. Connection speed at device is what you need to check. Clearly my internet provider throttles me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7234744-32FC-41FB-9F3B-5B036B039CD4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	2753758   Click image for larger version

Name:	8F840E7A-CA26-4D84-9DAE-F68F47326DB3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	2753760  

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
post #2788 of 2812 Old 07-06-2020, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@mjwagner
I'm with Spectrum, I get like 200mbps internet. Note that the Disney app works in 4k atmos. Pretty sure YouTube 4k does too just not atmos for some reason.
You need to check the speed at the device. You can get several speed test apps. I use analiti. Dl one and run it and see what you get on you FireTV device...that is what’s important.

BTW, not much ATMOS content on Prime anyway and Amazon has an odd habit of removing what there is when they feel like it, it has been pulled and then put back on for Jack Ryan in the past. IIRC NetFlix on the FireTV Stick 4k still doesn’t support ATMOS ...they may have changed that, not sure as I use one of my ATV 4ks when I watch NetFlix which does support ATMOS.

Mark

Last edited by mjwagner; 07-06-2020 at 08:50 AM.
post #2789 of 2812 Old 07-06-2020, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@mjwagner
I just checked JR on one of my FireTV Stick 4ks. The ATMOS track is there. Make sure you are playing the 4k version (it’s not automatic on Amazon, don’t ask me why) and pause playback, hit the menu key, select audio, and then make sure to select the ATMOS track. Playing fine for me, 4k HDR with ATMOS.
galonzo likes this.

Mark
post #2790 of 2812 Old 07-06-2020, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What is the specific version and model number of your device? Pendant was a term used for previous Fire TV devices. Some did 4K HDR but perhaps not ATMOS. I think the Gen3 might support ATMOS.

• For ATMOS on Prime you might want to check your AUDIO settings on Fire TV 4K. I typically leave it at BEST AVAILABLE. Not sure if something might need to be tweaked or enabled on Denon AVR side to insure ATMOS support.
  • I don't think you will get ATMOS support from Netflix on your Fire TV 4K Stick. I do not. Works for Disney+ and Prime Video, but not with Netflix. I think Fire CUBE users get ATMOS with Netflix, but I have not seen anyone with a Fire TV 4K stick report back with ATMOS support on Netflix.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by blade005; 07-06-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page