AVS Forum banner

Official 2018 FireTV Stick 4K--Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Dolby Atmos

419K views 4K replies 375 participants last post by  methodair 
#1 · (Edited)
Official 2018 Amazon FireTV Stick 4K--Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Dolby Atmos

Amazon.com

It releases on October 31st, 2018

It's only $50 and you can save $10 if you get two.

I'll probably wait until Black Friday week to see what sale prices they have for it.

Specs from the Amazon site
Size

99 mm x 30 mm x 14 mm (only housing) | 108 mm x 30 mm x 14 mm (including the connector)

Weight

53.6 g

Processor

Quad-core 1.7 GHz

GPU

IMG GE8300

Storage

8 GB

Wi-Fi Connectivity

Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard Wi-Fi. Supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi networks.

Bluetooth

Bluetooth 5.0 + LE

Voice Support

Yes, with the all-new Alexa Voice Remote (included) or free Fire TV app (available for download on Fire OS, Android, and iOS)

IR Device Control with included all-new Alexa Voice remote

The included all-new Alexa Voice Remote can control the Fire TV Stick 4K and certain functions (such as power and volume) on a wide range of compatible IR-enabled devices, including TVs, sound bars and A/V receivers. Note: Certain functions may not be available on some IR-enabled devices.

Cloud Storage

Free cloud storage for digital content purchased from Amazon

Ports

HDMI output, micro USB for power only

Audio Support

Dolby Atmos, 7.1 surround sound, 2-channel stereo, and HDMI audio pass through up to 5.1

#2 ·
More specs from the Amazon page..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QHML2...f_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&tag=vs-avsforum-convert-20

Content Formats Supported

Video: Dolby Vision, HDR 10, HDR10+, HLG, H.265, H.264, VP9 Audio: AAC-LC, AC3, eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC), Photo: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP

Output Resolution Supported

2160p, 1080p and 720p up to 60 fps

System Requirements

High-definition television with available high-speed HDMI input, high-speed internet connection via Wi-Fi

TV Compatibility

TV must support minimum HDCP requirements for protected content playback. Compatible with 1) 4K ultra high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 2160p at 24/25/30/50/60 Hz and HDCP 2.2 or 2) high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 1080p or 720p at 50/60 Hz. Learn more.

Warranty and Service

1-year limited warranty and service included. Optional 2-year and 3-year extended warranty available for U.S. customers sold separately. Use of Fire TV is subject to the terms found here.

Regional Support

Certain services may not be available outside the U.S.

Accessibility Features

VoiceView screen reader enables access to the vast majority of Fire TV features for users who are blind or visually impaired. Watch videos and TV shows with closed captioning displayed. Captions are not available for all content. Learn more.

Included in the Box

Fire TV Stick 4K, Alexa Voice Remote (2nd Gen), USB cable and power adapter, HDMI extender cable for Fire TV Stick 4K, 2 AAA batteries, Quick Start Guide

#4 ·
It should have refresh rate matching. Just like the current FireTV 4K Pendant has.

..Compatible with 1) 4K ultra high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 2160p at 24/25/30/50/60 Hz and HDCP 2.2 or 2) high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 1080p or 720p at 50/60 Hz..

#9 ·
I do at least get DV from the internal Roku apps, on my TCL 6 Series ROku TV.

#12 ·
what i would like to know: does it have the same audio drop issues as the gen 2 firestick on amazon music app? they have a serious issue with hardware / app integration on the gen2 stick, so much so that i bought a roku just to listen to prime music...

#14 ·
As Brajesh mentioned, the new stick uses a Mediatek SoC. And I guess before it was an Amlogic SoC. So maybe the Mediatek chip will work out better?

Of course, like the last few FireTv devices, I expect issues. The last few were released without the multi-channel audio working properly. And it took them a couple of months to get fixed. So based on past history I am expecting the same thing. But i'm hoping it actually works correctly from the beginning. Or is that too much to ask from Amazon?

Reactions: Lp85253
#157 · (Edited)
Do we think this will also work if we put a USB3.0 hub inline so I can also add a FLIRC adapter?

In other words, I want fast wired ethernet, but also need an additional USB port to hook up the FLIRC device to use my IR Harmony.

#17 ·
I'm guessing Amazon won't do a thing to upgrade previous Fire TV devices to Dolby Vision. It can be done via a firmware update, can it not? I recently got my girlfriend a Fire TV Cube and the lack of Vision is my main complaint. It's also too late to return it. Wish it had it.

#19 ·
I just got my 4K Ultra Fire TV pendant last weekend on sale for Prime customers for $39. Went to order a second one last night and see the 3rd gen pendant is officially now discontinued, and replaced with the 4K stick with new remote with volume control. Hmmmm.

Customer service offered an exchange as we've had it 3 days, with a $10 up charge from $39 - $49, on the unit I just got, and a $10 discount if a purchase a second 4K fire stick.

After an afternoon of discussion, we are keeping the pendant, purchasing a new remote $29 with volume control, and ordering one 4K fire stick. The new Fire Stick, and additional remote arrive 10-31. It does seem the pendant uses the preferred processor, so I'm glad to keep it, and the newer remote allows me to only need 1 remote in the bedroom.

#21 ·
I just ordered my FireTV 4K stick from Amazon. I used the combo deal for the Fire TV 4K stick and the 3rd gen Echo Mini for only $80 for both. I figured a $20 savings was a very good deal making them both only $40 each..

Reactions: giomania
#36 ·
It’s not about fees it’s about the nature and intent of the device. It’s not about playing ripped files. Look at how they market device.

Reactions: Brajesh
#38 ·
Yeah because it’s exactly like @sutton8 says:
It’s not meant to do that. So aren’t BD players for network or usb playback. Just curious: can you name a BD player which does DTS HD passthrough via network or usb but does not TrueHD. Is this via mkv or m2ts?
Same principle applies to ATV when it comes to HD audio.

#39 ·
Yeah because it’s exactly like @sutton8 says:

It’s not meant to do that. So aren’t BD players for network or usb playback. Just curious: can you name a BD player which does DTS HD passthrough via network or usb but does not TrueHD. Is this via mkv or m2ts?

Same principle applies to ATV when it comes to HD audio.

So Nvidia Shield it is then. Expensive for just this function! Damn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#41 ·
I'm concerned about frame rate matching.

TV must support minimum HDCP requirements for protected content playback. Compatible with 1) 4K ultra high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 2160p at 24/25/30/50/60 Hz and HDCP 2.2 or 2) high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 1080p or 720p at 50/60 Hz. Learn more.

The way it is worded sounds like 24hz playback is only supported on 4K tv's.

Can anyone confirm that this thing supports 1080p/24hz?

#46 · (Edited)
I did the deal where I got the FireTV 4K stick and the 3rd Gen Echo dot for $80. Which saved $10 off each one.

Although since I see the Chromecast can be used as a trade in. I might pick up a second FireTV 4K stick as long as I can get it for $30 with the Chromecast trade in. Then I will trade in another one of my original FireTV sticks for $9 cash at Gamestop.

I see I could also use a ROku. I have multiple ROkus, Chromecasts, and FireTV Sticks all over the place. I wish I could trade them all in at $20 a pop.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's only showing a trade in value of $2.99 for a Chromecast.:(

EDIT: WTH?!?! Something isn't right. It's also showing $2.99 for an ATV 4K trade in.

EDIT: :eek: Whoops! I see how it works. You trade it in for $2.99 and get a gift card for $2.99. But then you also get $20 off the FireTV stick 4K. So I guess it will work for me. For only $27 for second FireTV 4K stick, I might as well get it.

#48 ·
Thanks for the tip! I am sending in an original Chromecast also. t would be nice if they also let you take off $20 from the stick/dot combo, but I will take the $20 off the stick.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#56 ·
I thought Jack Ryan was the only one?