FilmStruck Streaming Service Shutting Down November 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9166 Post(s)
Liked: 16164
FilmStruck Streaming Service Shutting Down November 29

It must be tough competing against the likes of Apple, Amazon, Netflix, and even Vudu. Surely this notion dawned on whoever had to make the decision to pull the plug on FilmStruck, a movie streaming service that focused on independent films that was managed by Turner Classic Movies.

Click here to read more: https://www.avsforum.com/warnermedia...g-november-29/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Rip!!!!!

LG OLED C8 65 2018 BR . HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/C 9080/9040 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Panasonic UB820 and a nagging wife.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 1727
Perhaps the Criterion Collection of films that was pulled from Hulu when Filmstruck debuted will be redistributed again. Frankly paying another $12 a month for a select few movies just didn't make sense.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Perhaps the Criterion Collection of films that was pulled from Hulu when Filmstruck debuted will be redistributed again. Frankly paying another $12 a month for a select few movies just didn't make sense.
Kanopy Free Streaming Service has 50 Criterions.

I only learned about that one a week or two ago.

I never heard of FilmStruck ... should I start a trail subscription. Just kidding. It's sad news.
peka j. likes this.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is this news if nobody heard of them?
post #6 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Kanopy Free Streaming Service has 50 Criterions.

I only learned about that one a week or two ago.

I never heard of FilmStruck ... should I start a trail subscription. Just kidding. It's sad news.
Good to know - my local library finally got onboard with them just a few days ago so I'm just starting to look at what's in their film library.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Preamp/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, A-300
Speakers: (7.1.2): Klipsch Reference Premiere / Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Video: LG OLED65B7A, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+, Nvidia Shield TV
Room: GIK Acoustics treatments
post #7 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Steffek View Post
Is this news if nobody heard of them?
I have a sub to Filmstruck and love it. I wonder what AT&T has up its sleeve o_o

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-...ce-filmstruck/
nathan_h likes this.
post #8 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post
I have a sub to Filmstruck and love it. I wonder what AT&T has up its sleeve o_o

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-...ce-filmstruck/
I think you mean had.

and...

"Update: Turner and Warner Bros. reached out to Cord Cutters News to say AT&T had nothing to do with shutting down FilmStruck."
post #9 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1743
I wonder if it was profitable. I can't assume either way based on this announcement. There's a place for niche content providers in the cord-cutting landscape, especially now that Netflix is moving more in the direction of original content. Now, if it failed because no one heard of it and no cared, that's another story. As a mod in a cord-cutters FB group, I often referred people who were looking for ways to access TCM content to FilmStruck, and most were very pleased it was available.
post #10 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sad news

Since I like foreign language films, I watched the Criterion titles on Filmstruck a lot. Very sad news indeed.
post #11 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 3251
The shakeout of streaming services has begun, unprofitable services will fade away. This won't be the last. The next time someone wants ala carte programming, remember this lesson. This also ends Warner Archive which was folded into Filmstruck.
barfle likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #12 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2805 Post(s)
Liked: 2726
Never heard of Filmstruck.

Mark, I think it would have been pertinent to include in the story when Filmstruck opened for business. It would give scale to the relevance of the story, who they were, and how long they lasted in the marketplace. For all I know, Filmstruck has been around for many years and I just never heard of them.

If someone says "Flabberducks is closing business" the reasonable response is "huh? who? Did they just open? Been around a long time or something? What's the relevance? Why should I care?"
imagic, mtbdudex, barfle and 1 others like this.
post #13 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Mark, I think it would have been pertinent to include in the story when Filmstruck opened for business. It would give scale to the relevance of the story, who they were, and how long they lasted in the marketplace. For all I know, Filmstruck has been around for many years and I just never heard of them.

If someone says "Flabberducks is closing business" the reasonable response is "huh? who? Did they just open? Been around a long time or something? What's the relevance? Why should I care?"
Sure, added.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #14 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I subscribed, then cancelled. The Criterion films they had were pretty limited, and I already subscribed to TCM. But the biggest frustration was that the buffering was terrible. If it weren't for that, then I might have hung on, while they rotated the Criterions. Sometimes I get the feeling that streams can be buffered manipulatively. For example, if Content Provider A doesn't like the traffic Content Provider B is taking, then he could pay ISP C to throttle Content Provider B's stream, so users will get pissed off and cancel. The Content Provider market is competitive as hell, and I'd not be surprised if the viewers are the pawns in their backroom games.

I didn't think of Fillmstruck as very à la carte. In order to see the Criterion I had to buy into TCM, which I didn't need. Same old scam.

I'd sure like to see a Criterion channel.

Sony 55W905A, Dahquist DQ10 (x4), BW sub, McIntosh MC-2150/2200, OPPO BDP-105D
post #15 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
The demise of the Criterion Collection streaming service :(

I was a subscriber for apparently their entire history. But I may be an anomaly. I grew up watching their Criterion laser disks in the 1980s and 90s.

Was very cool to have 90% of the Criterion collection available for streaming — including many titles they didn’t get around to releasing on blu-ray — for a year for the cost of three physical disks.

And when they added all those classic Warner titles a while back it was like having TCM on demand, finally. At no additional cost.

Hopefully they at least go back to licensing their library to other services.
post #16 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Seems like only yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
A new streaming service called FilmStruck promises film lovers a chance to deep dive into a catalog of classic and independent films, and will include the exclusive “online home” of the Criterion Collection.

Criterion, for those who do not know, is a video distribution company with a focus on cinephiles. According to Wikipedia, the company “pioneered the correct aspect ratio letterboxing presentation of movies, as well as commentary soundtracks, multi-disc sets, special editions, and definitive versions.” In other words, everything home theater buffs take for granted.

One of the main complaints I often read about streaming services is that they lack the bonus features offered by Blu-ray. The niche FilmStruck seeks to fill is providing a deeper experience by making all that extra content available through streaming.

Various independent studios are represented by the service including Janus Films, Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist. John Martin, the chairman and CEO of Turner, said "FilmStruck is... tailor-made for the diehard movie enthusiast who craves a deep, intimate experience with independent, foreign, and art house films."

The Criterion sub-section of FilmStruck holds particular promise for dedicated lovers of cinema. Peter Becker, president of the Criterion Collection, said the streaming service "will offer subscribers the most comprehensive Criterion experience ever available anywhere."

Hopefully FilmStruck lives up to this initial hype in terms of allowing viewers to dive deep into the content. However, in my view the streaming quality itself has to be top-notch for this service to be truly appealing. What's the point of the Criterion Collection if not to get the best overall experience? It'll be interesting to see how these movies look on a high quality display—I'd love to be able to use the service with a projector.
post #17 of 31 Old 10-26-2018, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This is very sad. I watch this app a few times a week and the movies they have usually can not be streamed anywhere else. As DVD is being replaced by streaming what is the future of the criterion collection without a streaming platform?
post #18 of 31 Old 10-27-2018, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kanopy streams 50 criterions free with access (usually by public library)

I bet Amazon Prime has a lot of Criterions. (nope only 4 when I checked)

Finally..... libraries tend to have the discs... if you still have disc based playback.
post #19 of 31 Old 10-27-2018, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

A couple thoughts...

Casual consumers don't care about the constantly shifting catalog at Netflix.

But movie lovers tend to scoff at anything but actual possession of the media, citing the possibility that any given online service might just disappear.

So, it happens that the failure of this service will be remembered as another warning that if you love a movie and it's available on physical media, you should probably snag a copy for posterity. Don't count on some niche service to deliver that content, it could just go poof.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #20 of 31 Old 10-27-2018, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Wait... Flabberducks is closing???
Xzyl and markmon1 like this.
post #21 of 31 Old 10-27-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
The shakeout of streaming services has begun, unprofitable services will fade away. This won't be the last.
Makes one wonder if Hulu will continue because it has always lost money.
post #22 of 31 Old 10-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 401
I've been a sub since inception... severely sadden by this news. One of the truly bright shining lights in this sea of detritus programing.

Kanopy is a viable alternative... IF you can get non-scholastic access.

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
post #23 of 31 Old 10-28-2018, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Makes one wonder if Hulu will continue because it has always lost money.
Hulu still offers a lower priced option with ads and will soon be majority owned by Disney, I think they are in it for the long haul. They are not a niche service either.

post #24 of 31 Old 10-28-2018, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I read the most of TCM's audience is 55 plus and that Filmstruck was shooting for 25-44 year olds. Cable is not dead either. Criterion should be looking at their own service maybe, maybe team with Fandor or Tribecca Shortlist. Independent film viewers may be more in line with what Criterion offers.

post #25 of 31 Old 10-28-2018, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Apparently some can get Kanopy thru their local libraries... I am going to check that out.

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
post #26 of 31 Old 10-29-2018, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is a real shame. I was on the filmstruck beta but never got it to work properly. I had a feeling their business model would not work. It's going to be real hard to convince enough people to pay $12 per month for a couple hundred movies when netflix and amazon offer thousands+ for the same price. Netflix offers 4K for just a bit more. I don't think fimstruck ever offered 4K. If they would have offered the service for $5-$6 per month it might have made more sense. Of course they might not have made any money at that price.
post #27 of 31 Old 10-30-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
A couple thoughts...
@imagic 2020
post #28 of 31 Old 10-30-2018, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
The service was priced at $10.99 per month including access to the Criterion Collection, otherwise it costs $6.99 per month.

According to a statement from Turner and WB Digital Networks that was published by Variety.com, the content from the service, which included The Criterion Channel, appealed to a niche audience, noting that “We’re incredibly proud of the creativity and innovations produced by the talented and dedicated teams who worked on FilmStruck over the past two years.

While FilmStruck has a very loyal fanbase, it remains largely a niche service. We plan to take key learnings from FilmStruck to help shape future business decisions in the direct-to-consumer space and redirect this investment back into our collective portfolios.”

I think the key points are right there: $10.99 per month, niche service

I was a big fan of TCM before I cancelled DirecTV almost two years ago, and I subscribe to several WB newsletters, and I do movie-related content for a living, and the name FilmStruck just barely rang a familiar bell with me. Add a lack of awareness on the part of the target audience to the price and the limited appeal, and you have a recipe for failure.

If all these studios are going to create their own separate services (a la Disney), they'll have to find a better mix of price and service than FilmStruck. No matter how unique the service might have been, pricing it higher than Netflix with its vast catalog and excellent brand recognition probably doomed it. I don't think you can build a streaming service using the models of the old-guard cable channels. They might have had a fighting chance at $4.99 a month instead of $10.99.

For those that had the service, did it offer anything unique beyond the catalog of titles (which could have been carried by Netflix, VUDU, Amazon Video, etc.)? Title exclusivity alone doesn't cut it IMO. I could see some value in a curated delivery of titles, with some way to help you discover gems that you would otherwise not seek out yourself (kind of like what happens if you land on TCM while channel surfing, and you luck out and get your interest piqued by their wonderful intros. Did they do intros, a la TCM?

Publisher - The BigScreen Cinema Guide
DTS:X Resources | Dolby Atmos Resources
Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons, the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas. - Henry Thomas Buckle - historian and author
post #29 of 31 Old 10-30-2018, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I read the most of TCM's audience is 55 plus and that Filmstruck was shooting for 25-44 year olds. Cable is not dead either. Criterion should be looking at their own service maybe, maybe team with Fandor or Tribecca Shortlist. Independent film viewers may be more in line with what Criterion offers.
Maybe Mubi.com would be a more appropriate partner for Criterion. But I feel that Criterion Collection has the best name recognition of any of these, and it is a well-known name among cinephiles, and other movie fans. Any service like this needs to have their name on it to have a chance to be successful.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #30 of 31 Old 11-19-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
filmstruck