Omniverse Streaming Services - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 73 Old 11-14-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Does skystream have Dolby Digital 5.1

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 Old 11-15-2018, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
why is there a $35 charge on a nominally free trial? Or is that only if I re-activate it?

I believe that is the case, yes. Someone wrote a very unhappy post on Reddit about logging back into the service after cancellation and being IMMEDIATELY charged the $35. Apparently there is no grace period and no second chance: If you cancel and then walk back in they zap you RIGHT AWAY. So be warned! Technically they have every right to do that (why would you log in if you've cancelled the service?). Still they really should give you a final warning before charging you, so that's a bit sloppy and unethical.

Quote:
I looked at my credit card transactions, and it also shows two pending $1 transactions from SkyStream TV. Now it's possible (I'm not sure how to tell) that one is a debit, and one is a credit, and they were just there to verify - again, we shall see.

Others have reported the same thing, so I wouldn't worry about that. I should mention, however, that that did NOT happen to me. I was not charged at all, in any way, until the free trial ended. It may have something to do with what state you're in or how you set up your payment arrangements; I don't know.

Quote:
One reason I cancelled is that Skystream (on Android TV) has started to have trouble with buffering for me. (I.E., sometimes it stops for a few seconds. Sometimes it hangs until I reset it.) Maybe that is just my network. But, whatever the reason, I don't like it. (It's not nearly as bad as the problems I had with another service I won't name here.)

I also have buffering problems with the service but they are extraordinarily few and far between. I experience buffering roughly once a week, and usually for only about three to four seconds, which is not even close to being a deal-killer for me. So yes, it may just be your network. In fact, for the most part, one of the most impressive technical aspects of the service, from my perspective, has been the fast forward and rewind functions. They are amazingly fast compared to other services I've had, and I normally get instant playback the moment I land anywhere in the program without any buffering at all; very sturdy.

Quote:
Also, I really like seeing closed captions. And Skystream hasn't fixed the lack of that feature on most channels during VOD. They may fix it. But I don't feel like waiting.

That hasn't exactly been my experience. I've been disappointed to discover that there is no CC on the broadcast channels from New York (ABC, CBS, The CW, Fox, My9, NBC and PBS). Chat support confirms that there is no CC support for those channels and they don't know when it will be added, if at all. However CC has been working fine for me on all the non-broadcast channels, including the archive and DVR recordings. CC is increasingly an issue for me with 5.1 shows. Stereo shows from more than a decade ago do not present me with a similar problem. I suspect some of the stereo mixdowns of the 5.1 shows are a bit sloppy. SkyStreamTV chat support once claimed to me that they DO support 5.1 with those channels that broadcast it. Since I'm moving toward getting a 5.1 setup, it will be interesting to see whether their claim is correct.

Quote:
I like Skystream's 7 day all channel DVR, and I like that I can skip through ads, but these other issues matter more to me.

For me, it's both the 7-day archive and the PBS availability which makes the sale.

Quote:
Nonetheless, my personal issues with Skystream shouldn't scare the rest of you away. If it does what you want well, there is no reason to drop it.

Well, there are a few nagging annoying issues which I wish they'd fix. I've reported those to them. But nothing that is a deal-killer or that would persuade me to walk away and switch to a more expensive option.

And hopefully, those listed free trial charges aren't real.

Quote:
I hope the rest of you have a better experience. They are new to this, but I think they are trying hard, and are likely to do better soon.

That's my sense of it as well. They seem well-intentioned but very inexperienced. With time, hopefully, they will smooth out the rough edges.
post #33 of 73 Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Chat support claims they do. I do not have a 5.1 setup, so I've not been able to personally verify that. If anyone here has a 5.1 setup, perhaps they'd like to set up a free trial and find out.

If they do have 5.1, that would make them unique among live TV streaming services, and would be a real feather in their cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 73 Old 11-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Quote:

Chat support claims they do. I do not have a 5.1 setup, so I've not been able to personally verify that. If anyone here has a 5.1 setup, perhaps they'd like to set up a free trial and find out.

If they do have 5.1, that would make them unique among live TV streaming services, and would be a real feather in their cap.
They don't have 5.1. I know SD is working on it, but Omniverse doesn't provide it. DirecTV now/Att watch is the only service that offers 5.1
Sammy2 likes this.
post #35 of 73 Old 11-15-2018, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
SD is working on it

What's SD, please?
post #36 of 73 Old 11-15-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
What's SD, please?
SiliconDust Premium TV

Forum

criggs likes this.

Last edited by Sammy2; 11-15-2018 at 11:45 AM.
post #37 of 73 Old 11-18-2018, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It is a strong line-up, competitive with the other options out there. Here is that line-up...:

A & E
ABC (WABC Channel 7, New York)
AMC
Animal Planet
BET
BIZ TV
Bravo
Cartoon Network
CBS (WCBS Channel 2, New York)
CMT
CNBC
CNN
Comedy Central
Country
C-Span 1
Discovery
Disney
Docubox
E!
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN Classic
ESPN News
ESPN U
Fashion Box (low audio problem)
Fast Box
Fight Box
Film Box (no cc)
Food
Fox (WNYW Channel 5, New York)
Fox News
FreeForm
FX
Game Toon
Hallmark
HGTV
Hillsong
History
HLN
HSN
Ion
Law & Crime
LifeTime
Lolly Kids
MSNBC
MTV
My9 (WWOR Channel 9, New Jersey)
National Geographic
NBC (WNBC Channel 4, New York)
NewsMax TV
Nickelodeon
NRB
OWN
Paramount
PBS (WNET Channel 13, New Jersey)
QVC
RT America
SYFY
TBS
Turner Classic Movies
Telemundo
The CW (WPIX Channel 11, New York)
TLC
TNT
Travel
TruTV
Univision
USA
VH-1
Vibrant
Weather Channel
YouToo America (currently not working)
An important new channel is in the process of being added to the SkyStreamTV lineup and, presumably, to the Omniverse line-up. That channel is CBS News. CBS News has been available as a free app from CBS for a while now. But it has never before been implemented by any streaming service as a regular station with any kind of archive, and it has never been possible before now to make DVR recordings from it. However on SkyStreamTV, at the moment, it is not yet available in the 7-day archive, and one cannot yet make DVR recordings from it. But the live stream is now available for watching. Hopefully the archive and DVR features will be added in a day or so.

Last edited by criggs; 11-18-2018 at 06:50 AM. Reason: clarification
post #38 of 73 Old 11-18-2018, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Someone wrote a very unhappy post on Reddit about logging back into the service after cancellation and being IMMEDIATELY charged the $35. Apparently there is no grace period and no second chance: If you cancel and then walk back in they zap you RIGHT AWAY. So be warned! Technically they have every right to do that (why would you log in if you've cancelled the service?).
To verify that it was cancelled of course. And I think I did.

I don't see a charge on my credit card yet. Maybe it helps that before cancelling, I deleted the billing entry on their site to my credit card.

I switched back to Sling TV - and was disappointed to see that Sling's list of "Local Channels" is NOT reflected in what they stream - they intend you to use an antenna to pick up local channels instead. Whereas Omniverse does in fact stream NYC area major broadcast network channels. Also, I'd forgotten that Sling doesn't let you FF or Rewind on some channels AT ALL, let alone through the ads. True, I can mostly pick up major network broadcast channels (not PBS, but I don't normally watch them) on their own websites. And the free sites do let me FF and Rewind (but not through the ads.) But, still.

I tried to get around it on Sling by recording my screen and sound using a few screen & sound capture programs. The idea was I would play them back - so I would rewind and re-watch stuff I didn't quite understand the first time, and incidentally skip the ads. But none of those programs capture fast enough on my old not-so-high-end PC (AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7 GHz CPU, 8 GB Ram) to do full frame rate, or even 15 Hz - the best I found ended up recording uneven frame rates, creating weird visual artifacts in which stuff appears to speed up and slow down - very distracting. I'll have to live with what the service offers, and what the free public websites offer.

Oh well, live and learn.

I'm puzzled that you have so few glitches on Skystream. But my network setup is weird. I share my landlord's FIOS connection, through a FIOS WiFi router (which, by the way, I lack the password to reset - something I would otherwise do at least once every few days) - and that WiFi connection has a low signal strength. I then use a WiFi -> wired ethernet bridge, and another router (wired to my Android TV and PC, wireless to my Roku) for security. And the only way I could watch Skystream was through an Android TV box (Last I checked, when I quit, the Roku and Windows PC apps wasn't available) - which I don't think handles network glitches very well. Nowhere near as well as my Roku box.

I think it is very possible that people with a more normal Internet connection (i.e., wired all the way, or at least WiFi with high signal strength) have fewer problems in general, that they will eventually create a nice error-tolerant Roku app, and that Skystream is probably a good choice.

Last edited by MRG1; 11-18-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #39 of 73 Old 11-18-2018, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interesting post. Some intriguing stuff to chew on.

Quote:
Sling doesn't let you FF or Rewind on some channels AT ALL, let alone through the ads.

Before SkyStreamTV, I was a Youtube TV subscriber, and Youtube TV has those same restrictions with CBS and CW recordings, and that was one of the selling-points for SSTV. While the SSTV app is not as polished or as powerful as the YTTV app, which, to some extent, makes some sense of its cheaper price point than YTTV, nevertheless there is no arguing that SSTV does feature some unique advantages, and the ff/rw on ALL channels in the archive and on ALL DVR recordings is certainly one of them.

Quote:
I tried to get around it on both services by recording my screen and sound using a few screen & sound capture programs..none of those programs capture fast enough on my old not-so-high-end PC (AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7 GHz CPU, 8 GB Ram) to do full frame rate, or even 30 Hz - the best I found ended up recording uneven frame rates, creating weird visual artifacts in which stuff appears to speed up and slow down - very distracting. I'll have to live with what the service offers, and what the free public websites offer. Oh well, live and learn.

Those screen capture programs have usually delivered wretched quality for me as well, and I've tried them as well. You get much better results with stream capture programs, but that's dependent on whether or not a service offers a browser interface. I know of no stream capture apps for streamboxes like Fire and Roku. Even if a service does offer a browser interface, that is no guarantee that a stream capture app will work with it. For example, I have yet to figure out a way to capture the YTTV streams and DVR recordings through their browser interface, and I've tried a bunch of different stream capture apps in an attempt to do so. There was one service I once tried with a browser interface where I was able to capture the DVR recordings, though not the live streams, with one of my capture apps, but that service had significant drawbacks so I cancelled it. Yes, it would be nice to be able to do that but, generally, I discovered that if I wanted a cost-effective service with the channels and features I needed, I would have to give up stream capturing. Which makes the ability to ff/rw recordings all the more important, and which makes the case for SSTV all the more compelling.

Quote:
I'm very puzzled that you have so few glitches on Skystream. But my network setup is weird. I share my landlord's FIOS connection, through a FIOS WiFi router (which, by the way, I lack the password to reset - something I would otherwise do at least once every few days) - and that WiFi connection has a low signal strength.

I have both Fire and Roku streamboxes, and I get solid-as-a-rock streaming on both, not only with SSTV but with all my other apps as well. I use Verizon FIOS, with one of their modems wired directly to the source, then feeding a router from which I run ethernet cables directly to my two streamboxes. (I use the router to drive my laptop computers since the router puts out a 5ghz WiFi signal while the Verizon FIOS modem only puts out 2.4, which is very crowded and unreliable in my building.) And, incidentally, I am still on the FIOS legacy 25/25 connection and have had no problems. Nothing against 200 and 300 and 400 mbs connections, which come in mighty handy for large files, but you simply don't need that kind of speed for standard live streaming. (And don't forget that streaming will get even slower once the streaming services move to the next codec, like H.265 or VP9, which require roughly half the speed currently required by the current standard h.264 codec to achieve comparable quality.)

Quote:
Last I checked, when I quit, the Roku and Windows PC apps wasn't available

The Roku saga has been rather disastrous. For a while, they had a poor but functional app which was private. Roku would not sign off on it, but allowed it to be downloaded from its servers as a private channel with a warning. Then SkyStreamTV's software developers proudly proclaimed they had a new and improved Roku app instead. Well, in the interim, Roku had changed its rules. If a channel provider had an alternate updated version of an app, then Roku will no longer allow an older private version to remain on its servers; so Roku killed the poor but functioning app. Then SSTV persuaded Roku to make an exception and allow the "new and improved" app to be made available as a private channel, again with the standard Roku disclaimer.

I was one of the first users of this "new and improved" app. It turned out the dang thing WASN'T FINISHED!! It was full of bugs, some of which made the app almost useless. Today's Guide, for example, was completely blank!! After a day or so, Roku forced SSTV to again withdraw the app, so they are back to the drawing-board on the Roku app, hopefully with a different developer! So I'm back to the Fire app, which is O.K., I guess, even though it's got its quirks and bugs too (sometimes one can't program more than one or two programs in a row for DVR recording; the function suddenly stops working and one has to exit and re-enter the app in order to resume DVR programming).

As for a Windows PC app, I asked the boss directly about that and he said the provisions of their contract forbid a PC interface, so that's not going to happen. There is a way around that. There are Android emulators around which you can install on your PC -- the reviews I read recommended Memu -- and which, once installed, will accept standard phone apps. The SSTV app is available for Android phones and installs fine, and operates fine, on my Windows 8 laptop using Memu. In no way is it as convenient or user-friendly as the Fire app, so I've never used it other than to confirm that it works properly. But it's there in a pinch, if I'm on the road with my laptop and don't want to lug a ChromeCast with me and don't mind the lack of a remote control.

Quote:
I think it is very possible that...they will eventually create a nice error-tolerant Roku app

Call me pessimistic on that score. I just don't think they have the caliber of people to make that happen. They were really happy and enthusiastic about this "new and improved" Roku app and had clearly not bothered to take the time to test it themselves before they released it, which doesn't speak well of their caution and diligence. On the other hand, one can hope that they learned a hard lesson from that experience and will do better in the future. One can hope.

Quote:
that Skystream is probably a good choice.

It is a good choice for those looking to save $$$ and who have a Fire device and who don't care much about access to third-party TV everywhere apps, since SSTV has none, since the contract to which Omniverse bought the rights had no such provisions and was probably negotiated before such third-party apps even existed. It is also a good choice for those who are reasonably comfortable with current technology, and who don't mind the inefficient multi-keystroke operations often required by the current working Fire app (it doesn't bother me, but I could see it bothering some people after the highly streamlined and very efficient apps from the "big dog" live TV streaming services like Youtube TV). I fit all those categories: I want to save $$$, I have a Fire device, I don't much miss access to the third-party TV everywhere apps, and I don't mind a few extra keystrokes. Better than spending an additional $60 a year.

Last edited by criggs; 11-18-2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
post #40 of 73 Old 11-20-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Interesting post... [snip]
I drifted a little off-topic, so let me respond by private message.

Last edited by MRG1; 11-20-2018 at 06:14 PM.
post #41 of 73 Old 11-20-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:

This thread

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...streaming.html

indicates there are some services with 5.1 audio. (Search also: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/gtsea...treaming%205.1 )

But I haven't tested that. I only have two speakers, or a headphone with two transducers, and only two ears. AFAIC figure out, the more speakers you have, the more problems you should have with wave interference patterns - e.g., there should be places in the room where a given frequency isn't heard. Which might be the reason why HiFi audio freeks mostly don't use more than 2 channels. (Besides, 5.1, AFAICT, is just a degraded variant of the old Quad stereo systems - because all the low frequency stuff comes through one speaker, instead of 4 speakers.)

(However, I do get that if you turn your head as you listen, more speakers lets you sort-of locate sound better.)

I understand why Dolby and similar low pass noise reduction systems were a good idea on audio cassettes - there was a lot of high frequency tape hiss and static that needed to be filtered out - the same reason something vaguely similar had earlier been used on LP records. But why do you need Dolby anything on digital sound? Wouldn't anything you did to the sound just degrade sound quality?

Last edited by MRG1; 11-20-2018 at 06:20 PM.
post #42 of 73 Old 11-20-2018, 06:49 PM

One word.. Lossless.

Sounds to me as if SkyStream is half baked. Silicon Dust works pretty well save for some complaining about low bit rates. It looks decent to me though and for $35 a month I can't complain, especially when using it with Emby.

post #43 of 73 Old 12-05-2018, 07:54 AM

Any other Omniverse users have the Scripts Networks (Discovery, et al) down today? SiliconDust PremiumTV is having issues.

post #44 of 73 Old 12-05-2018, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Any other Omniverse users have the Scripts Networks (Discovery, et al) down today? SiliconDust PremiumTV is having issues.

Nope, good on SkyStreamTV.

On that note, on Cord Cutters News there is also reporting that Hallmark is also down on the Silicon Dust/HD HomeRun service. Hallmark is also functioning properly on SkyStreamTV. So it looks like there are problems happening this week exclusively with the HD HomeRun setup, not with Omniverse.

Maybe.
post #45 of 73 Old 12-08-2018, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Somebody on SD's forums reported this morning TikiLIVE dropped Discovery from its listings.
post #46 of 73 Old 12-08-2018, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Somebody on SD's forums reported this morning TikiLIVE dropped Discovery from its listings.
I just took a look at their website and the same 7 channels that SD lost a few days ago are not available. Strangely though, they show Hallmark as available.
post #47 of 73 Old 01-31-2019, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post

The Tikilive site is now reporting that the Discovery channels are active again. So, whatever technical or legal issues might have been there, it would appear they have been resolved.
post #48 of 73 Old 01-31-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
The Tikilive site is now reporting that the Discovery channels are active again. So, whatever technical or legal issues might have been there, it would appear they have been resolved.
Nothing about that on the SiliconDust forum.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

post #49 of 73 Old 01-31-2019, 06:27 AM

I just did a channel scan and there's no new channels to report on my hdhr connect Quatro.

post #50 of 73 Old 01-31-2019, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just did a channel scan and there's no new channels to report on my hdhr connect Quatro.

So it would appear the restoration has only happened on TikiLive, not any of the other Omniverse services which might have killed the Discovery channels.

Flixon and SkyStream, of course, never killed them to begin with.
post #51 of 73 Old 02-15-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 99
post #52 of 73 Old 02-15-2019, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post

Unfortunate -- and odd. Omniverse has been in business since 2012 and its longest-running satellite service, TikiLive, has been operating since 2016. And NONE of these services are free, which is normally the mark of a pirate service, I believe. Under the circumstances, where were these plaintiffs seven years ago or three years ago? If these are pirate services, why did they wait so long to sue?

I'm not saying necessarily they have no case, since I'm not competent to answer that question one way or the other. But, as an outside observer, that certainly seems to be a very long time to wait before filing what they claim is an urgent lawsuit. Like I say, odd.

And, of course, unfortunate for Omniverse subscribers like me. So far my service has not been affected, and I hope, in the end, Omniverse wins this case and is vindicated in its interpretation of the contract to which it purchased the rights. I'm guessing that that contract to which they purchased those rights was probably drawn up before widespread streaming existed, before the widespread introduction of TV Everywhere apps, etc. etc. So the question is whether a contract that has no expiration date is still valid in its provisions even if considerable change has taken place in the marketplace since its creation.

Omniverse will obviously claim that that contract's provisions are still valid. The plaintiffs will probably claim that its provisions are null and void due to dramatic changes in the marketplace for these products.

I suspect this case will take a long time to be adjudicated.
post #53 of 73 Old 02-16-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post

Unfortunate -- and odd. Omniverse has been in business since 2012 and its longest-running satellite service, TikiLive, has been operating since 2016. And NONE of these services are free, which is normally the mark of a pirate service, I believe. Under the circumstances, where were these plaintiffs seven years ago or three years ago? If these are pirate services, why did they wait so long to sue?

I'm not saying necessarily they have no case, since I'm not competent to answer that question one way or the other. But, as an outside observer, that certainly seems to be a very long time to wait before filing what they claim is an urgent lawsuit. Like I say, odd.

And, of course, unfortunate for Omniverse subscribers like me. So far my service has not been affected, and I hope, in the end, Omniverse wins this case and is vindicated in its interpretation of the contract to which it purchased the rights. I'm guessing that that contract to which they purchased those rights was probably drawn up before widespread streaming existed, before the widespread introduction of TV Everywhere apps, etc. etc. So the question is whether a contract that has no expiration date is still valid in its provisions even if considerable change has taken place in the marketplace since its creation.

Omniverse will obviously claim that that contract's provisions are still valid. The plaintiffs will probably claim that its provisions are null and void due to dramatic changes in the marketplace for these products.

I suspect this case will take a long time to be adjudicated.
Hate to tell you, there are a lot of illegal sites that charge. Do you really think the contract that Omniverse bought has no expiration date?
post #54 of 73 Old 02-16-2019, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Hate to tell you, there are a lot of illegal sites that charge. Do you really think the contract that Omniverse bought has no expiration date?

Which raises the interesting possibility that the contract was indeed valid up until this year but is so no longer.

By the way, I read a rumor on one of the fora (it might have been on Reddit) that this contract may have been with a cable company that has NOT closed, and may still be in business, which may be another reason why legal action wasn't taken until now. Perhaps until now the cable company's interests were that Omniverse stay in business, and that is no longer in the cable company's interests, for some reason.
post #55 of 73 Old 02-27-2019, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Major Omniverse Problem?

Anyone on an Omniverse service on line at the moment, like someone who uses the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun service or the SkyStreamTV service or the Flixon service or the TikiLIVE service?

I ask because, for the past hour, most of the live streams have not been working and most of the 7-day catchup archive recordings have been unsuccessful.

Any of you having a similar problem?
post #56 of 73 Old 02-28-2019, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Anyone on an Omniverse service on line at the moment, like someone who uses the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun service or the SkyStreamTV service or the Flixon service or the TikiLIVE service?

I ask because, for the past hour, most of the live streams have not been working and most of the 7-day catchup archive recordings have been unsuccessful.

Any of you having a similar problem?

Yes, TikiLive had same issue, other than local TV, OANN, etc channels. Reported it to them, they

said the issue is with their provider and were working to resolve.
post #57 of 73 Old 02-28-2019, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
Yes, TikiLive had same issue, other than local TV, OANN, etc channels. Reported it to them, they said the issue is with their provider and were working to resolve.

The situation has improved somewhat. Several of the channels that died are back to normal and also now have properly functioning archive recordings. A few still have live streams that keep buffering and are missing their archive recordings. While it is reassuring to see changes for the better over the course of recent hours, it is certainly unsettling that they had such a major failure, and that it is taking them so long to repair it all.
post #58 of 73 Old 02-28-2019, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 500
I'm sure the lawsuit they're facing probably has something to do with it as well.
post #59 of 73 Old 03-01-2019, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
I'm sure the lawsuit they're facing probably has something to do with it as well.

Here's why I'm thinking that might not necessarily be so.

Much of the speculation on line, since the lawsuit was filed, was about an out of court settlement, and what that might entail. A lot of people have suggested that that 7-day catchup archive might be the element in the SkyStreamTV package to which ACE might have the biggest objection. So, if we were going to see some sort of change, or changes, in the SkyStreamTV line-up, most believed that would most likely entail the removal of that archive.

And yet right now, the archives are largely working properly now, and the biggest change at the moment would appear to be that some channels, like C-Span and HLN, have been degraded to a low-resolution feed with the wrong aspect ratio, squeezed top and bottom into a narrow horizontal band.

Which means, I believe, that there is a distinct chance this is a very unfortunate coincidence, and not related to the lawsuit.

I've even speculated something else. The fact is that ACE wants Omniverse crippled in the worst way. Because they waited so long to file this lawsuit, seven years since Omniverse was created, 2012, and three years since the first distributor/reseller joined Omniverse (TikiLIVE in 2016), ACE may have serious misgivings about winning this lawsuit.

So might this be some sort of Final Solution, i.e. sabotage?

Last edited by criggs; 03-01-2019 at 02:47 AM. Reason: typo
post #60 of 73 Old 03-01-2019, 01:23 PM

Channels back on Premium tv including Discovery. Could Omniverse be legit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page