Omniverse Streaming Services - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #61 of 73 Old 03-02-2019, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Channels back on Premium tv including Discovery. Could Omniverse be legit?

I've always believed they were probably legit, even if a bit unorthodox, which is why I signed onto them back in October. They had a very good channel line-up, including PBS, unique among live streaming services, and some nice and unique features on SkyStream, like the 7-day archive. And a price-point per channel that simply could not be beat. And, for the most part, over the past few months, I've largely been satisfied with their service.

What finally persuaded me to jump ship was not concerns over their legitimacy; it was real unease about their technical mastery of their product. It just seems that every little thing took forever. They added CBS News as a channel almost three months ago. Real nice and I immediately made the channel one of my favorites. And they then proceeded to botch CBS News' recordings and also their live stream, both of which remained messed up for quite a few weeks before everything was working properly. Yes, they succeeded in fixing it, and yes, both live stream and archives have been purring like a kitten for the past month. But the fact that it took them so long to get it all straightened out did not inspire confidence. They're in the middle of the same saga now with their new channel, NASA. Live stream is fine, archive is still not working and it's been almost three weeks. Their FilmBox channel has had an incorrect guide the entire time I've had the service, sometimes an hour early, sometimes an hour late, never where it should be. I've reported it repeatedly, and they even told me excitedly, one day that hey, it was fixed! So I checked and it wasn't fixed; it was now off by one hour in the opposite direction from where it had been the previous week. It just seems that all too often these folks leap before they look.

Another even better example of that was their biggest ongoing headache, from their viewpoint, which is their Roku app. When I signed on, they had one, a beta, which was not very good. O.K., fine, in a month or so it will be ready for prime time. Well, weeks after I started the service they rolled out their new version and Roku promptly took down their old one while not replacing it with the new one. Turns out Roku had not evaluated and signed off yet on their new version. A contact at the company generously sent me their new version, by way of demonstrating that they indeed knew what they were doing and they had good quality standards. And the new version was a mess, worse than the old one. It was obvious their software person, or persons, had praised this new version to the skies and my contact, or the people with whom he worked, had never even bothered to try it for themselves before bragging on it to others! They had confidently and generously given a $10 credit to those customers with Rokus during that first month when Roku killed their app, believing the new app would be available in weeks. Well, not surprisingly, Roku said there was no way they could accept the new app, and told them to go back to the drawing-board, which meant another month or two with no Roku app. Meanwhile they were stuck giving out these $10 monthly credits, a credit which they had simply assumed would only be necessary for that one month. Lack of foresight and the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing seems to exemplify all too often what goes on there.

Yes, one could argue these are minor nitpicks, and I certainly did not leave the service because of them.

But this last debacle this last week persuaded me that, well-intentioned as they are, and with original and valuable concepts notwithstanding, they're simply not yet ready for prime time. I don't need to feel like my TV provider is going through a Perils of Pauline melodrama every other week. My TV provider should be one of the more stable elements in my life, there when I need it, and ever-available, like a big old fireplace. If it can't play that role in my life, it is failing its basic assignment; sorry.

I wish them the best going into the future. I continue to hope these are growing pains and that they will eventually get their act together. But I'm just not willing any more to live this drama with them. I've got enough drama in my own life, thank you!

Last edited by criggs; 03-02-2019 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Additional information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 03-04-2019, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is way, way over my head: https://www.lightreading.com/video/v...9828?print=yes .

If I understand this article correctly, it's not directly saying that using DirecTV's satellite feed is necessarily illegal, if Omniverse has a contract with some outfit downstream of DirecTV which has a commercial relationship with Direct TV, and which Omniverse in turn has some sort of contract with.

But I'm not sure I'm understanding the article correctly. The bottom line seems to be, however, that the article is not coming right out and saying Omniverse is breaking the law which, I guess, opens the door to the possibility that what they're doing still might be legal.

But I'm not sure I've understood the article correctly since, as I say, it's way over my head. Anyone here to whom this article makes sense and who might therefore be able to translate it into English? Thanks!

Last edited by criggs; 03-04-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
post #63 of 73 Old 03-06-2019, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
This is way, way over my head: https://www.lightreading.com/video/v...9828?print=yes . If I understand this article correctly, it's not directly saying that using DirecTV's satellite feed is necessarily illegal, if Omniverse has a contract with some outfit downstream of DirecTV which has a commercial relationship with Direct TV, and which Omniverse in turn has some sort of contract with.

Omniverse speaks!

Omniverse boss Jason DeMeo just gave an interview to LightReading. In it, for the first time, he reveals the company with which he has partnered on a previously existing contract and the duration of that preexisting contract. The company is Hovsat and the Hovsat contract duration is, get this, --

ONE HUNDRED YEARS!!!!

And yes, as I suspected, this was a contract that was negotiated before streaming video was a twinkle in anybody's eye.

LightReading's report on their interview with DeMeo is at https://www.lightreading.com/video/v...9924?print=yes . If DeMeo is telling the truth, and if Omniverse's legal interpretation of this contract holds up in court, then this is all perfectly legal.

Now they just have to fix all the problems that hit the service last week!

I'm going to be alerting a few other forums, which are also actively discussing the current Omniverse situation, both its current legal situation and its current technical issues, to this new development.

Last edited by criggs; 03-06-2019 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Additional information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 73 Old 03-08-2019, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's more news, this time from Torrent Freak, at https://torrentfreak.com/omniverse-c...t-with-190307/ .

Points of interest in this latest report: Omniverse has yet to file a response to the lawsuit. Given the complex issues involved (assuming Omniverse is telling the truth), that's not that surprising, I guess.
In addition, the case has been delayed TWICE because of judge problems. Both of the first two judges had to withdraw from the case due to conflict of interest problems! Wonder what the nature of those conflicts were.
post #65 of 73 Old 03-20-2019, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I dropped one of the Omniverse providers a while ago because I couldn't see the closed captions, on some channels like CW, which I often use to help me understand difficult-to-understand voice.

But I'm think of returning to it, because of the ability to play Video-On-Demand (VOD) recordings, and skip ads.

So, Returning to an older topic, Have any of you, with any of the Omniverse providers (which one?), recently been able to see closed captions (CC) on the CW channel, when using Video-On-Demand (VOD)?

I also tried to record the shows for later playback without ads using PlayOn, directly from CW's (free) site. First off, Playon doesn't record CC on the CW channel. Plus, PlayOn apparently stripped out the bottom 10% or so of the display. Most of the time that doesn't matter, but sometimes it does - e.g., on the most recent Charmed show, CW placed text (showing cell phone text messages) at the bottom - I could see the top line, but on two-line messages, I couldn't see the next line. I ended up re-watching the show, with ads, using the Chrome Browser - exactly what CW would like, but not what I wanted. True, that show is pure fluff, so it isn't the end of the world to miss a few captions or a little text, but it is still annoying.

---Earlier topic quotes:---

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
Also, I really like seeing closed captions. And Skystream hasn't fixed the lack of that feature on most channels during VOD. They may fix it. But I don't feel like waiting.
Quote:
That hasn't exactly been my experience. I've been disappointed to discover that there is no CC on the broadcast channels from New York (ABC, CBS, The CW, Fox, My9, NBC and PBS). Chat support confirms that there is no CC support for those channels and they don't know when it will be added, if at all. However CC has been working fine for me on all the non-broadcast channels, including the archive and DVR recordings. CC is increasingly an issue for me with 5.1 shows. Stereo shows from more than a decade ago do not present me with a similar problem. I suspect some of the stereo mixdowns of the 5.1 shows are a bit sloppy. SkyStreamTV chat support once claimed to me that they DO support 5.1 with those channels that broadcast it. Since I'm moving toward getting a 5.1 setup, it will be interesting to see whether their claim is correct.

Last edited by MRG1; 03-20-2019 at 07:10 AM.
post #66 of 73 Old 03-20-2019, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I dropped one of the Omniverse providers a while ago...I'm think of returning to it, because of the ability to play Video-On-Demand (VOD) recordings, and skip ads...Have any of you, with any of the Omniverse providers (which one?), recently been able to see closed captions (CC) on the CW channel...?

Well, my experience only dates up to March 2nd, when I cancelled the service. Up to that point, they had still not enabled CC for the CW, or for any of the other dozen or so off-air channels they carry.

However I'd hold off on returning to them, for now. They experienced a massive outage on Wednesday, February 27th, and there are still 12 channels that are either not functioning at all or function with severely degraded quality. There is one Omniverse provider who's maintaining an updated list of problem channels on their forum. That is Silicon Dust, and the URL for the forum is https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129 . There is an official thread that provides the most up-to-date info on the outage at https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...?f=129&t=69262 . That official thread is incomplete, in the sense that there are additional channels with technical problems, such as AMC, Animal Planet and Discovery, which the official thread has yet to acknowledge. Hence the need for you to skim through some of the other recent threads at that forum as well.

The bottom line: the Omniverse service is currently crippled, and is in the middle of a massive technical problem for which they have yet to provide any meaningful indication of how soon all these problems will be corrected. Until those problems are corrected, I'd stay away.
MRG1 likes this.

Last edited by criggs; 03-20-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: typo
post #67 of 73 Old 03-20-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
...However I'd hold off on returning to them, for now. They experienced a massive outage on Wednesday, February 27th, and there are still 12 channels that are either not functioning at all or function with severely degraded quality.
OMG. Thanks for the warning, Criggs. I should have read the last few messages before posting - not just searched for messages pertinent to my topic.

If I recall correctly, you watch a lot of news, and like to stay very up to date on current events. I can certainly see why a provider that wasn't reliable, for whatever reasons, would mess that up. Too bad Omniverse can't make you happy, at present.

BTW, I'm also retrying Hulu (I went for a $0.99/month temporary promotion), and just tried Netflix. They both have a huge number of shows and movies, but both sites are now very poorly organized. E.g., if I want to find all the recent Science Fiction TV shows or movies, there is no way to do it. You can search for a show you already KNOW about. And there are ways (Hulu, Netflix) to see All the offerings - unsorted by genre, split across hundreds of web pages. I can't find enough stuff that I want to see, without better site organization, on either. So I'll only stay with Hulu through the end of the $0.99 promotion, but I dropped Netflix after the free trial.

My current TV provider, Sling TV, lacks some of the bells and whistles, like suggesting shows that other people who watch my shows watch. And they DON'T include broadcasters that have their own free sites, like CW. They also lack some of the major networks (including, if I recall correctly, some of the networks YOU want), suggesting people instead get an antenna to save money, which doesn't work well in my location. But everything works, even if I occasionally have to retry a link (if it says a show is currently unavailable - which has so far always been fixed within a few seconds; perhaps an issue with server capacity).

Last edited by MRG1; 03-20-2019 at 09:12 AM.
post #68 of 73 Old 03-29-2019, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
SiliconDust is pulling the plug on the train wreck that is television powered via Omniverse. After existing 30 day subscriptions are up -- it won't be renewed. This comes on the heels of earlier this month Amazon forcing SD to remove the premium channel feature from it's FireTV app.
post #69 of 73 Old 05-31-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
Omniverse is ending residential services May 31 (i.e., it's dead): https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/omni...tial-services/
MRG1 likes this.
post #70 of 73 Old 06-06-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Omniverse is ending residential services May 31 (i.e., it's dead): https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/omni...tial-services/
Wow! That's a biggie. I'm sure their resellers are either going out of business (some of the web pages have come down) or going crazy right now, trying to put together sell-able packages from other providers.

Very good catch!

And what a shame for the consumer.

Last edited by MRG1; 06-06-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #71 of 73 Old 06-06-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Wow! That's a biggie. I'm sure their resellers are either going out of business (some of the web pages have come down) or going crazy right now, trying to put together sell-able packages from other providers.

Very good catch!

And what a shame for the consumer.
Not really. These crap services need to die, the weeding has begun..

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #72 of 73 Old 06-10-2019, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Not really. These crap services need to die, the weeding has begun..

This was not a crap service for a while. Between October and February, it was actually reasonably good. And there is no other service that offers C-Span, PBS and a 7-day archive for a reasonable price. The closest is DirecTV Now, and that only offers C-Span for a horrible $86 a month!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I miss the service.
post #73 of 73 Old 06-10-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
It's like the old adage, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It never fails to surprise me how willing people are to give their credit card info to a company that's likely stealing the content it's rebroadcasting/redistributing. Not to pick on Omniverse. There have been a number of other subscription-based live TV services snuffed out over the past 2-3 years that were getting their content in questionable ways. It's like giving your credit card to the guy selling Rolex watches out of the back of his van for a fraction of the price everyone else charges. At the very least, use pre-paid credit card numbers and maintain a minimum balance.

Last edited by Zookster; 06-10-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page