9Likes

post #1 of 73 Old 11-04-2018, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Omniverse Streaming Services

Now that I've become a subscriber to one of Omniverse's streaming services, I figured it was time we created a thread for them to stand beside the threads for similar services like Sling, PlayStation Vue, Youtube TV, etc. etc. So here goes.

Briefly, Omniverse purchased the rights to a contract which permits them to stream certain channels. It is a strong line-up, competitive with the other options out there. Here is that line-up, and please note that this is not identical to the line-up which is posted for them on a few sites. Some channels are carried by Omniverse but are missing from those official lists while other channels show up on those lists that should not be included since they are not part of the Omniverse line-up:

A & E
ABC (WABC Channel 7, New York)
AMC
Animal Planet
BET
BIZ TV
Bravo
Cartoon Network
CBS (WCBS Channel 2, New York)
CMT
CNBC
CNN
Comedy Central
Country
C-Span 1
Discovery
Disney
Docubox
E!
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN Classic
ESPN News
ESPN U
Fashion Box (low audio problem)
Fast Box
Fight Box
Film Box (no cc)
Food
Fox (WNYW Channel 5, New York)
Fox News
FreeForm
FX
Game Toon
Hallmark
HGTV
Hillsong
History
HLN
HSN
Ion
Law & Crime
LifeTime
Lolly Kids
MSNBC
MTV
My9 (WWOR Channel 9, New Jersey)
National Geographic
NBC (WNBC Channel 4, New York)
NewsMax TV
Nickelodeon
NRB
OWN
Paramount
PBS (WNET Channel 13, New Jersey)
QVC
RT America
SYFY
TBS
Turner Classic Movies
Telemundo
The CW (WPIX Channel 11, New York)
TLC
TNT
Travel
TruTV
Univision
USA
VH-1
Vibrant
Weather Channel
YouToo America (currently not working)

For more info on the story behind these services, there are two useful news reports. One was on TechHive at https://www.techhive.com/article/330...-services.html and the other was on Cord Cutters News at https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/is-s...service-legal/ .

There are a few companies which function as distributors and/or resellers of this package, since Omniverse does not market or package it directly themselves. Of those, the highest visibility company is SkyStreamTV, which offers the package for $35 a month. They have a very high profile, with a Facebook page, a Youtube page etc. etc. That's the company to which I now currently subscribe.

An even higher-profile distributor/reseller is HD HomeRun, which now offers its own streaming service, again with the Omniverse channel line-up. Not for me, however, because this option entails additional equipment costs.

Also there's a lower-profile Omniverse distributor/reseller named TikiLive, about which I've heard good word-of-mouth, and which has been around for a while longer than the other Omniverse companies, which sells the package for around $30 a month (I didn't go with them because their DVR is weak and there's no archive; TikiLive says they'll be fixing that in a few months).

Hovering over this option is an intriguing tidbit which was revealed in the Cord Cutters News article: Apparently Omniverse is in the process of purchasing the rights to two additional contracts which may offer channels not included in the current package. If that happens, it could change the current picture significantly.

This only scratches the surfaces of this new option. While TechHive mentions they were able to identify seven Omniverse distributors and/or resellers, I've heard from others that they may have over 50 such satellite companies. Which means that their product may be available for even less than the price charged by TikiLive; I don't know.

Which is partially why I decided to create this thread. My knowledge of them is limited, and will hopefully be augmented by others who have additional insight, information and knowledge with regard to this effort.

Looking forward to all of your posts, from Omniverse users and non-users alike! Thanks.
brotony likes this.

Last edited by criggs; 11-04-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Additional information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 11-05-2018, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Interesting lineup, missing a few channels of interest. From reading the articles, it's no mystery why some channels are missing. And likely won't be added for fear of raising subscriber costs. This is all previous conversation from YTTV thread but I'll repeat it here for convenience.

I emailed this company and the response I got was a concern for keeping subscriber rates low. There was also some concern about the legitamacy to these Omniverse plans carriage rights but they seem legit to me if their app is coming to Apple TV.

Opinion and other experiences:

Since Fox Sports, Science and Tennis Channel are missing, I'd likely find YTTV with Curiosity Stream add-on a better rounded plan for the cost. YTTV isn't available in many places yet so that's not an option to all.

PSV was also likable; I had it for 2 months. But since YTTV got away from the bulk of their forced ads in on-demand that would then replace recodings by default, CBS and The CW remaining the exception, YTTV is a strong competitor to it. PSV had a falling out with Sinclair which meant losing Tennis Channel before it went it live and many locals lost while raising rates shortly afterwards. That, coupled with doing away with light plans that had no locals was untimely for some subscribers. Though I could have dealt with it all and raised plan rates, DirecTV was willing to offer lower rates for 12 months just to have me back to see what's next. Likely still too expensive after my 12 months is up.

These 2 alternative services are slightly higher services compared to Omniverse but sadly channel options may limit or compromise choices. Each should weigh the channel lineup and pros and cons; having 2 services or going big with add-ons or options may defeat the miserly attraction skinny bundles offer.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 73 Old 11-05-2018, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
One major advantage over YTTV is that they make all the traditional networks available (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) available by streaming the NYC channels. I didn't think that could be done. YTTV,and other services, restrict themselves just to offering local channels.
I have YTTV at $35 - the old price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 Old 11-05-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 339
I have this through SiliconDust HDHomeRun and love it. I grappled with the loss of FoxSports coming off YTTV @ $35 for a time but having complete control over my DVR, the ability to strip commercials from recordings and not having recordings swapped for VOD's with commercials that cannot be skipped PLUS being able to tune in anywhere on the planet with a decent internet connection with Emby won out.
(Hedging, I have YTTV on Pause while I decide.)

Any prospect on what the future channels may be?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sammy2; 11-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.
post #5 of 73 Old 11-05-2018, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I have this through SiliconDust HDHomeRun and love it.

One really powerful feature of the Omniverse options I've looked at, including my current SkyStreamTV subscription, is the ability to share a maximum total of five devices, none of which have to be logged in on a particular IP address. (YTTV also has a sharing feature, but all users periodically must log in on the home IP address.) This is exactly what it sounds like, a true sharing option with friends and family. One SSTV rep on Reddit actually characterized it as a "sharing is caring" option. I am sharing my current connection with the maximum four other users, making it cost an incredible $8 a month for each of us. You can't beat that!

I don't know if the HD HomeRun Omniverse option also offers that feature.
post #6 of 73 Old 11-06-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I have this through SiliconDust HDHomeRun and love it.

One really powerful feature of the Omniverse options I've looked at, including my current SkyStreamTV subscription, is the ability to share a maximum total of five devices, none of which have to be logged in on a particular IP address. (YTTV also has a sharing feature, but all users periodically must log in on the home IP address.) This is exactly what it sounds like, a true sharing option with friends and family. One SSTV rep on Reddit actually characterized it as a "sharing is caring" option. I am sharing my current connection with the maximum four other users, making it cost an incredible $8 a month for each of us. You can't beat that!

I don't know if the HD HomeRun Omniverse option also offers that feature.
My grandfathered subscription with Emby permits me an unlimited number of clients connected to my server. New subscribers are limited to 15 clients. Of course all of that is limited by the server owners upload internet speed. I can handle about 8 to 10 clients from my server.

post #7 of 73 Old 11-08-2018, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
There is more than one Omniverse provided or augmented package.

To see this, look at the websites for these Omniverse-fed providers:

ExchangeVue http://www.exchangevue.com
NK TV https://nkt.tv
MiloTV http://www.milotv.com
Skystream TV https://www.skystreamtv.com
Tikilive https://www.tikilive.com
Vivalive http://www.vivalivetv.com

(I don't have a complete list of Omniverse-fed providers.)

Notice the substantially different Channel lineups and price ranges. Notice that some only offer Live service, not VOD or DVR. And at least one of them requires a specific streaming device.

P.S. So far how well does Skystream or any of the others work?
Brajesh likes this.

Last edited by MRG1; 11-08-2018 at 09:42 PM.
post #8 of 73 Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 PM

Also, are the New York and New Jersey network affiliated channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, PBS, My9) only available in areas not served by other same-network affiliate broadcasters? Or maybe they are available only in the NYC area?

I'm still tempted to just take advantage of the free trial for Skystream just to see how well they work. Though that involves giving that company my credit card #, always a risk.

Last edited by MRG1; 11-08-2018 at 09:54 PM.
post #9 of 73 Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 540
I take it this is only available in the US?
post #10 of 73 Old 11-09-2018, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
There is more than one Omniverse provided or augmented package. To see this, look at the websites for these Omniverse-fed providers:
ExchangeVue http://www.exchangevue.com
NK TV https://nkt.tv
MiloTV http://www.milotv.com
Skystream TV https://www.skystreamtv.com
Tikilive https://www.tikilive.com
Vivalive http://www.vivalivetv.com
(I don't have a complete list of Omniverse-fed providers.)

Looks like you read the Tech Hive article, since those are the ones listed in that piece. As I say, someone told me that's just the tip of the iceberg and that there are dozens more which carry the Omniverse line-up.

Quote:
P.S. So far how well does Skystream or any of the others work?

Speaking only for SkyStream, I've been on it since Friday, October 26th. When it works, it's perfectly fine. However there have been two outages, both lasting for two or three hours and both happening around 3AM. I'll give it until the end of the month. If there are no more outages, then I'll probably keep it. It has some significant strengths the other streaming services don't have, aside from the cheaper price. Most notably, there is a 7-day archive for ALL programming for ALL stations, a totally unique feature in streaming services, as far as I know. Second, they carry PBS, the only major streaming service that does so, as far as I know. Another major convenience is the guide. It's a full 14 day guide, going back 7 days from the present and going forward the same number of days (That's where the links to the 7-day archive are posted).

I hesitate to recommend it yet, because of their apparent reliability problems. However, if I become convinced those were isolated, coincidental and unique occurrences, I could very well end up recommending the services. It certainly holds its own, in terms of features, with any of the major such options.
post #11 of 73 Old 11-09-2018, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also, are the New York and New Jersey network affiliated channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, PBS, My9) only available in areas not served by other same-network affiliate broadcasters? Or maybe they are available only in the NYC area?

The SkyStreamTV line-up, and, as far as I know, the line-up on every SkyStreamTV redistributor/reseller, is identical throughout the country. And, specifically, the output of those New York and New Jersey channels are available from the SkyStreamTV service nationwide.

Quote:
I'm still tempted to just take advantage of the free trial for Skystream just to see how well they work. Though that involves giving that company my credit card #, always a risk.

For what it's worth, I haven't been robbed yet. In fact, I'm currently enjoying a 2-month promotional $5 discount for the first two months, and so far my credit card has been debited correctly.
post #12 of 73 Old 11-09-2018, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

The SkyStreamTV service is. I believe one of them, I think it's Exchange Vue, is available world wide and is geared toward military personnel service abroad. But I think that's the only one.
post #13 of 73 Old 11-09-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Are there countries that don't have streaming MVPDs?

You might look into USTV Now. But I'm not sure they are legit. I tried contacting all the major U.S. broadcasters to find out, but none replied. I guess major broadcasters are subject to constant enquiries, and they can't afford to answer them all. BTW, as far as I know they have nothing to do with Omniverse.

Quote:
Looks like you read the Tech Hive article, since those are the ones listed in that piece.
I read both of your cited article and a few others. I meant to include FlixOn (https://flixon.tv) too. There are other FlixOn deals at https://company01.flixon.tv Locality Networks, https://company02.flixon.tv "Test", and https://company03.flixon.tv MI Internet

I left out HDHomeRun, because someone else mentioned it.

Quote:
they carry PBS, the only major streaming service that does so, as far as I know.
PBS has its own on demand subscription (at https://www.pbs.org/video) that you can buy to watch all or most of their content, including, I think, content not broadcast by your local affiliate, though it is possible you have to sign up through a PBS affiliate.

Shame on me! I'm going for the 7 day free SkyStream TV trial, just to check it out. On troubling thing: When I signed up to use it through my Roku it said

Quote:
THIS IS A NON-CERTIFIED CHANNEL. Roku requires all channels to abide by Roku’s terms and conditions, and to distribute only legal content. Roku does not test or review non-certified channels. You acknowledge you are accessing a non-certified channel that may include content that is offensive or inappropriate for some audiences. Moreover, if Roku determines that this channel violates copyright, contains illegal content, or otherwise violates Roku’s terms and conditions, then ROKU MAY REMOVE THIS CHANNEL WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE, AND YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE BLOCKED FROM ADDING ANY OTHER NON-CERTIFIED CHANNELS.
On my Roku it says "Sorry, this channel is no longer in service". SkyStream tech support said that was a beta test version, but they will release the new Roku App, through the standard Roku Store, within the next week - perhaps AFTER my free trail expires. I guess I can try it on my old Android TV, if I can find it, and if it is up to date enough.

Last edited by MRG1; 11-09-2018 at 08:41 AM.
post #14 of 73 Old 11-09-2018, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
PBS has its own on demand subscription (at https://www.pbs.org/video) that you can buy to watch all or most of their content, including, I think, content not broadcast by your local affiliate, though it is possible you have to sign up through a PBS affiliate.

I believe it's called PBS Passport, and it does NOT have a live stream. There are also important shows which are not included in that service, e.g. the Live From the Met series. That's why I find the availability of the live PBS stream from SkyStreamTV (my reception is iffy) valuable and useful.

Quote:
I'm going for the 7 day free SkyStream TV trial, just to check it out.

I look forward to your evaluation!
post #15 of 73 Old 11-09-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

I believe Citi Card (and maybe others) still lets you create, online, a subsidiary card with its own number, amount limit, and expiration date. If they try to tap your card again, it would be declined because you set the limit just enough to cover the one time purchase.
post #16 of 73 Old 11-09-2018, 04:32 PM

OK, here is my preliminary assessment of Skystream TV, based on one day's use.

Pluses:

1. Tech support Chat (on web page) is fast and excellent - compared to some services, this is a HUGE deal.
2. Everything worked perfectly in my test; No buffering, very clean, good picture.
3. Captions work on Live Channels.
4. Android TV app did work, even on a somewhat old (5.1) Android TV build, on a little known generic box.
5. The broadcast network channels (which are for NYC and New Jersey area) worked, even though I'm not in that area, and there are local affiliates near me.
6. VOD can skip through ads on the channels I tested.
7. VOD FF and Rewind work - though at one press/30 second step, and only after pausing.

Minuses:

1. Roku app isn't available yet - Beta test used to be, but stopped working before I tested it.
2. Doesn't work on Windows PC.
3. Captions don't work on VOD; on Live, cannot make background transparent (on Android TV).
4. VOD stream doesn't start early, or end late, so will often miss part of program.
5. On Android TV, problems exist if Internet not connected, but is not always obvious.
6. Guide "My TV" don't go very far into the future.
7. Interface a bit awkward - you pretty much need a mouse or touchpad (on Android TV) to use it, and even then, it's clumsy. E.g., if you want to look at shows available on demand, you have to do slow horizontal scrolling. Unless I've missed something.

If I said anything wrong, feel free to correct me.

Overall, I'm impressed. Unlike some services, they work pretty well from the start. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, if a person had a supported streaming device, and they wanted channels that weren't available on a cheaper service.

Last edited by MRG1; 11-09-2018 at 06:33 PM.
post #17 of 73 Old 11-10-2018, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
7. VOD FF and Rewind work - though at one press/30 second step, and only after pausing.

Not quite sure to what you're referring. If you're talking about their generic On Demand library, I haven't tried any of those yet. If you're talking about their 7-day archive of broadcast material as well as their DVR recordings, I find that, if I simply hold down the fast forward or rewind buttons, it will simply FF and/or RW forever. I have not experienced the problem where it will only fast forward/rw 30sec.s/10 sec.s at a time. Perhaps this is a difference between the Fire app, which is what I have, and the Android app.

Quote:
1. Roku app isn't available yet - Beta test used to be, but stopped working before I tested it.

Didn't miss a thing; it was awful. They should have retired it weeks ago.

Quote:
6. Guide "My TV" don't go very far into the future.

This has got to be a difference between the Android app and the Fire app. In the Fire app, one has a complete 14-day guide, 7 days into the past and 7 days into the future, one of the strongest features of the service, and one of the reasons why I made the switch from Youtube TV.

Quote:
they work pretty well from the start. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, if a person had a supported streaming device, and they wanted channels that weren't available on a cheaper service.

I'm not quite ready to recommend this service. While I applaud their instincts and their aspirations, their execution still leaves a bit to be desired. Case in point: The programming of DVR recordings is buggy. I find that if I busily program a whole bunch of DVR recordings in a row, say half a dozen, I almost always experience a failure of the record programming function after a few scheduled recordings. I need to exit and re-enter the app to resume my DVR programming, a needless and annoying waste of time. The PBS audio is not very good, with distinctly audible encoding artifacts (I haven't checked the audio for the other broadcast channels, but my hunch is that they suffer from the same problem). Their start and stop times for each show are consistently a little off; shows usually end about 5 to 15 seconds early and begin about 5 to 15 seconds early.

These are not deal-killers for me (although the DVR programming bug is quite annoying), but they're enough to make me unable, in good conscience, to recommend the service to others yet. They actually have what they call an affiliates program, where subscribers who successfully recruit other subscribers get a small reward for that. It's a very attractive offer, and I wish I could sign up for it, but I can't do that yet in good conscience. I hope they rectify the above problems so that I will eventually be able to enroll as an affiliate.
post #18 of 73 Old 11-10-2018, 12:04 PM

Criggs:

You are definitely right on the first two counts, even for the Android TV box. I expected to be able to scroll continuously through the next days - didn't realize I had to click on the date. And I didn't realize I had to hold down the forward and rewind keys to keep going.

As far as the third count, the user interface could certainly be better. For example, you should be able to scroll continuously, and I prefer FF and Rewind interfaces where you click or hit a button to to FF or Rewind, and it keeps going, showing frequent picture updates, so you know where you are in the video. Also, I much prefer a fast text scroll of offerings over a slow picture-icon scroll, and I'd like to see brief descriptions in the text scroll. In addition, very occasionally their VODs drop 2 or 3 seconds of video - and rewinding doesn't help - the dropout seems to be in their original recording.

But most of the Internet MVPDs have somewhat awkward interfaces, and maybe some people like slow picture scrolls.

Maybe I'm just not as picky as you.

Out of the 6 Internet paid MVPD services I've tried, I was reasonably happy with 5:

Sling
Hulu with Live TV
Playstation Vue
USTVNow
Skystream TV

Only one, which I won't mention in this thread, made me unhappy. (I was reasonably happy with Hulu and Netflix and CBS all access too, but they aren't really MVPDs.)

From my perspective, what I really hate is when a user interface is impossible or very difficult to figure out, video doesn't work a large fraction of the time, or tech support doesn't want to talk to you, or lacks the knowledge to be at all helpful. As you know, I had that experience with one of the other MVPDs. And at more former (shared) home we had incredibly bad experiences with a cable company that arguably had the best user interface of all, but charged a lot more than they promised, and also charged us for boxes we didn't have.

AFAIK, none of the really bad things are true of Skystream TV. So I am willing to recommend them - and would recommend the other ones I mentioned above, EXCEPT the service I didn't name in this thread, and the cable company. But it sounds like you are looking for perfection.

If the DVR thing makes you too unhappy, I suggest you chat with tech support, or leave feedback. From what I can tell, based on two contacts (once to ask a pre-purchase question, once to activate the Android TV box - I'm not sure that would have been a problem if I hadn't already tried to activate the Roku box), their tech support is very good, and they seem to invite suggestions. These may just be early teething problems.

Last edited by MRG1; 11-10-2018 at 12:11 PM.
post #19 of 73 Old 11-10-2018, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
very occasionally their VODs drop 2 or 3 seconds of video - and rewinding doesn't help - the dropout seems to be in their original recording.

Yes, that's happened to me a few times as well. One time, it was in the middle of one of my DVR recordings from PBS. I then went to the 7-day archive to see if that recording suffered from the same problem. It did and it didn't. It didn't happen at the same time; it happened about 20 seconds later, and it was only about half the length of the problem in the DVR recording. I have no idea at all what that means.

Quote:
Out of the 6 Internet paid MVPD services I've tried, I was reasonably happy with 5:

Sling
Hulu with Live TV
Playstation Vue
USTVNow
Skystream TV

I'm surprised Youtube TV didn't make your cut. Regarding USTV Now, I need all three all-news stations and USTV Now, as near as I can gather from its web site, does not carry all of them.

Quote:
If the DVR thing makes you too unhappy, I suggest you chat with tech support, or leave feedback. From what I can tell, based on two contacts (once to ask a pre-purchase question, once to activate the Android TV box - I'm not sure that would have been a problem if I hadn't already tried to activate the Roku box), their tech support is very good, and they seem to invite suggestions. These may just be early teething problems.

Well, their tech support seems to be going downhill. At first, I could easily access a real live human being through their phone support during business hours, and their chat support pretty much 24/7. However their phone support has deteriorated into little more than a voice mail system, and, during the last week to ten days, even their chat support seems to be going downhill. Originally, if I was promised a follow-up email I always received one. The same promise has been made repeatedly over the past week to ten days however and has never once been fulfilled. In addition, during the small hours, the folks there now seem little more than PlayStation Vue-style stenographers, and I've now reported all of these problems several times and no record of my reports seem to have been kept, since they always profess ignorance now, no matter how many times I report a problem. I'm hoping it's just a temporary staffing problem caused by an unexpected influx of new subscribers over the past few months, since the CCN and TechHive articles have given them a ton of unexpected publicity recently.

Last edited by criggs; 11-10-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typo
post #20 of 73 Old 11-11-2018, 11:07 AM

>I'm surprised Youtube TV didn't make your cut.

It did. I made a mistake when I made the list. They were fine too.

As far as the big 3 US networks are concerned, I think you can watch them news through the websites of their affiliates - I just tried it successfully with ABC. You can get lists of affiliates through Wikipedia. Try them all.

>I'm hoping it's just a temporary staffing problem caused by an unexpected influx of new subscribers over the past few months

Maybe this thread is one reason for Skystream TVs influx of new members. We made it sound too good. Could that destroy them?

Last edited by MRG1; 11-11-2018 at 11:23 AM.
post #21 of 73 Old 11-11-2018, 11:41 AM

I'm changing my mind on USTV Now.

Maybe it's because I am in the US again (its "For Americans Abroad"), and I only have the Free account at present (I'm grandfathered), but some of it doesn't seem to work.

Plus the picture quality on what does work isn't ideal. And some people say it might not be legit. All in all, there are probably better services.
post #22 of 73 Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I'm using Hdhomerun and the Channels app and love it. Skystream scares me. No way they have the rights to 7 day rewind with the ability to FF on all channels
post #23 of 73 Old 11-13-2018, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
I'm using Hdhomerun and the Channels app and love it. Skystream scares me. No way they have the rights to 7 day rewind with the ability to FF on all channels

They're already promising that they will expand the 7-day archive to a 30-day archive. While the content providers apparently have decided they cannot legally challenge the Omniverse contract, that doesn't mean that the 7-day archive, which is offered only by two of the Omniverse providers of which I'm aware, Flixon and SkyStreamTV, cannot be legally challenged, so I'm with you there.

However, if SkyStreamTV (and perhaps Flixon) think they can provide a 30-day archive, and then that archive gets yanked legally, that storage space is still there, which means they could probably attach it to their DVR recordings instead. In other words, if, as SkyStreamTV is promising, they end up providing series recording on their DVR with 30-day storage instead of 50-hour storage, then I'd say the service is still worth keeping, and is still a good deal at that price, even if we lose the archive.

Which, of course, we haven't lost yet, and which could very well withstand legal scrutiny after all. Not to mention the fact that I haven't even heard any rumors that it's being challenged at all in the first place.
post #24 of 73 Old 11-13-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:

They're already promising that they will expand the 7-day archive to a 30-day archive. While the content providers apparently have decided they cannot legally challenge the Omniverse contract, that doesn't mean that the 7-day archive, which is offered only by two of the Omniverse providers of which I'm aware, Flixon and SkyStreamTV, cannot be legally challenged, so I'm with you there.

However, if SkyStreamTV (and perhaps Flixon) think they can provide a 30-day archive, and then that archive gets yanked legally, that storage space is still there, which means they could probably attach it to their DVR recordings instead. In other words, if, as SkyStreamTV is promising, they end up providing series recording on their DVR with 30-day storage instead of 50-hour storage, then I'd say the service is still worth keeping, and is still a good deal at that price, even if we lose the archive.

Which, of course, we haven't lost yet, and which could very well withstand legal scrutiny after all. Not to mention the fact that I haven't even heard any rumors that it's being challenged at all in the first place.
Is the cloud storage legal? I know Sling can't DVR some content. Also how are they legally sending NY locals all over the country?
post #25 of 73 Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is the cloud storage legal? I know Sling can't DVR some content. Also how are they legally sending NY locals all over the country?

Well, they apparently persuaded both Amazon/google and Roku that they had the legal rights to do that, because both services approved their apps, and those outfits are apparently very tough on pirates.

In addition, Omniverse and SkyStreamTV gave in-depth interviews to Cord Cutters News at https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/are-...e-take-a-look/ and Tech Hive at https://www.techhive.com/article/330...-services.html , and both news sites apparently were persuaded they were legit. And that was precisely one of the questions they were asking.

Not perhaps entirely dispositive, but certainly indicative of persuasive evidence of their bona fides.

The nitty-gritty details apparently involve a contract which was signed quite a while back, one that predates the modern streaming service contracts. Apparently it was negotiated in a different marketing universe. Omniverse purchased the rights to this old contract, which is why they have the right, apparently, to do what they do.

The bottom line is that content providers wrote letters to Omniverse back in '16, when Omniverse was first setting this up, warning that they would file cease and desist orders unless Omniverse stopped proceeding with their plans. Omniverse had them in, showed them the contract the rights to which they had purchased, and that was that. The content providers were apparently satisfied and did not proceed with legal action.

Which is where the matter stands now, as far as I know.

Last edited by criggs; 11-13-2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: typo
post #26 of 73 Old 11-14-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Well, they apparently persuaded both Amazon/google and Roku that they had the legal rights to do that, because both services approved their apps, and those outfits are apparently very tough on pirates.

In addition, Omniverse and SkyStreamTV gave in-depth interviews to Cord Cutters News at https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/are-...e-take-a-look/ and Tech Hive at https://www.techhive.com/article/330...-services.html , and both news sites apparently were persuaded they were legit. And that was precisely one of the questions they were asking.

Not perhaps entirely dispositive, but certainly indicative of persuasive evidence of their bona fides.

The nitty-gritty details apparently involve a contract which was signed quite a while back, one that predates the modern streaming service contracts. Apparently it was negotiated in a different marketing universe. Omniverse purchased the rights to this old contract, which is why they have the right, apparently, to do what they do.

The bottom line is that content providers wrote letters to Omniverse back in '16, when Omniverse was first setting this up, warning that they would file cease and desist orders unless Omniverse stopped proceeding with their plans. Omniverse had them in, showed them the contract the rights to which they had purchased, and that was that. The content providers were apparently satisfied and did not proceed with legal action.

Which is where the matter stands now, as far as I know.
We are talking about two different things. First yes the contracts with Omniverse are legal to broadcast the channels. This has nothing to with Skystream giving up to 30 day rewind ( which is essentially sharing) and a cloud dvr, which I we're not part of the Omniverse contract. Hdhomerun is taking the leagal route and having you record locally and provide your own locals. Also please don't post any link to Cordcutter News. The guy is a hack that has no clue what he is talking about.

Last edited by spencer777; 11-14-2018 at 05:17 AM.
post #27 of 73 Old 11-14-2018, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
please don't post any link to Cordcutter News. The guy is a hack that has no clue what he is talking about.

I'm not quite clear of the context of your request. Are you one of the moderators here? Meaning should I refrain from posting further links to Cord Cutters News? If you are, then I will comply with your request. Or are you just making that as an informal recommendation?

If it's an informal recommendation, I disagree. Luke Bouma may be no expert, and not as knowledgeable as some on these matters, but the site continuously reports on the latest developments in cord-cutting, far more consistently than any other site out there. It was the first to report PlayStation Vue going on line, it was the first to report Sling adding a DVR, etc. etc. So, unless there's some official objection from this board's moderators, I will continue to post links to Cord Cutters News if I deem them relevant and appropriate.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #28 of 73 Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
please don't post any link to Cordcutter News. The guy is a hack that has no clue what he is talking about.

I'm not quite clear of the context of your request. Are you one of the moderators here? Meaning should I refrain from posting further links to Cord Cutters News? If you are, then I will comply with your request. Or are you just making that as an informal recommendation?

If it's an informal recommendation, I disagree. Luke Bouma may be no expert, and not as knowledgeable as some on these matters, but the site continuously reports on the latest developments in cord-cutting, far more consistently than any other site out there. It was the first to report PlayStation Vue going on line, it was the first to report Sling adding a DVR, etc. etc. So, unless there's some official objection from this board's moderators, I will continue to post links to Cord Cutters News if I deem them relevant and appropriate.
And I will continue to call you out when you link Cordcutting news. He wasn't the First to report any of those, just took them from other articles. Also he wrote a whole article about preventing Vue from being dropped by Sony, because he found a blog on Monty Fool. The guy basically finds fourms and articles and that writes blogs with no research.

Last edited by spencer777; 11-14-2018 at 08:50 AM.
post #29 of 73 Old 11-14-2018, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
And I will continue to call you out when you link Cordcutting news.

That's fine, whatever. The site is a unique clearing-house and canary in the coal-mine, unique and useful for that reason.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #30 of 73 Old 11-14-2018, 04:35 PM

Shame on me. I just cancelled my Skystream free trial, 2 days early.

It said
Quote:
Success! Successfully Cancelled
However, n the the same page it says:
Quote:
Your Subscription ends on Jan 01, 1970.
1 skystreamtv $35.00 USD
Setup Fee $0.00 USD
Total Charge $35.00 USD
Aside from the date, why is there a $35 charge on a nominally free trial? Or is that only if I re-activate it?

I contacted them, and they say there is no charge. So it's probably OK, though they should word things more carefully. We shall see.

I looked at my credit card transactions, and it also shows two pending $1 transactions from SkyStream TV. Now it's possible (I'm not sure how to tell) that one is a debit, and one is a credit, and they were just there to verify - again, we shall see.

One reason I cancelled is that Skystream (on Android TV) has started to have trouble with buffering for me. (I.E., sometimes it stops for a few seconds. Sometimes it hangs until I reset it.) Maybe that is just my network. But, whatever the reason, I don't like it. (It's not nearly as bad as the problems I had with another service I won't name here.)

Also, I really like seeing closed captions. And Skystream hasn't fixed the lack of that feature on most channels during VOD. They may fix it. But I don't feel like waiting.

The mix of channels is a little different from Sling Blue, which is marginally cheaper, and I like Skystream's 7 day all channel DVR, and I like that I can skip through ads, but these other issues matter more to me.

Nonetheless, my personal issues with Skystream shouldn't scare the rest of you away. If it does what you want well, there is no reason to drop it. And hopefully, those listed free trial charges aren't real.

I hope the rest of you have a better experience. They are new to this, but I think they are trying hard, and are likely to do better soon.
beerhunt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page