Advertisement

post #32 of 115 Old 02-16-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Wow,
I now have the choice to pick the quality of audio! I have to say it sounds really good! The hi Rez Bill Evans Portrait in Jazz sounds amazing really adds depth to th sound.

Thanks
Jeff
post #33 of 115 Old 02-16-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked: 3208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Listed to the Diana Krall's "Turn Up The Quiet" album in 24/192. Wow.... SJ
Just listened. Thanks. Amazing. Easy to compare to the 16/44 version that is also on Qobuz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 115 Old 02-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Anybody know a easy way to just search HR on the Bluesound app?

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #35 of 115 Old 02-17-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 675
This service seems pretty solid and will just get better. For me, there are many more classical and jazz selections and a lot more playlists (in those specific categories) to choose from than Tidal has. I've canceled my Tidal account and will try this for awhile. Tidal had a bunch of stuff that frankly I never used. Our family also has apple music, so these are an extra service just for hi-res streaming. SJ
Mike_WI likes this.
post #36 of 115 Old 02-17-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
This service seems pretty solid and will just get better. For me, there are many more classical and jazz selections and a lot more playlists (in those specific categories) to choose from than Tidal has. I've canceled my Tidal account and will try this for awhile. Tidal had a bunch of stuff that frankly I never used. Our family also has apple music, so these are an extra service just for hi-res streaming. SJ
I just cancelled Tidal today also.
Looking at Qobuz.

EDIT:
Signed up for a Qobuz "Studio" trial month.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link

Last edited by Mike_WI; 02-17-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #37 of 115 Old 02-17-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Unfortunately it also seems that Qobuz is missing a ton of the music I listen to regularly. It seems like half the music I search for is missing. Definitely not going to work for me. Hopefully the song selection improves. Spotify has virtually everything.
post #38 of 115 Old 02-17-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 303
They are missing a ton. I like the quality and what I’ve seen of the curation, but there are far too many holes in the catalog for a what should be a comprehensive music service.

I do notice that when I search for an artist, it often shows a number with more releases available than show up when I click the artist. Maybe it’s just a matter of them adding the missing titles during the launch period.
post #39 of 115 Old 02-18-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post
They are missing a ton. I like the quality and what I’ve seen of the curation, but there are far too many holes in the catalog for a what should be a comprehensive music service.

I do notice that when I search for an artist, it often shows a number with more releases available than show up when I click the artist. Maybe it’s just a matter of them adding the missing titles during the launch period.
I agree. I am wondering how they have been successful in Europe with so many holes in their library. I would love to be a user but given what you describe and I have seen (in addition to some other issues), I will need to wait to sign up. I may check on their web site to see if there is a way to pose this issue to them. Competition is a good thing and Tidal needs some (I'm tired of having Jay Z's music genre thrown in front of me each time I want to use Tidal) - assuming it doesn't put them out of business!!
post #40 of 115 Old 02-18-2019, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post

What genres of music are they missing a ton of? Rock, pop, rap, R&B, classical, jazz? Or all of the above?

Last edited by bambam; 02-18-2019 at 07:40 PM.
post #41 of 115 Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
What genres of music are this missing a ton of? Rock, pop, rap, R&B, classical, jazz? Or all of the above?
A little bit of everything, I think.

I was putting together a "grundge" playlist and couldn't get the "new" Soundgarden album (King Animal). I also couldn't get an "original mastering" of Soundgarden's Superunkown album.

I was looking forward to checking out the latest Three Days Grace album in Hi Rez, as I heard the Hi Rez release was better mastered/less bricked than Redbook.... but it was for-purchase only. No streaming.

For another playlist I was putting together some 90's pop/rock and they didn't have Soul Coughing's "circles" or President's of the United States "Lump," (from the self-titled track, not a "live" performance at the end of an album I'm unfamiliar with).

In terms of being "a traditional music streaming service" for "typical music streamers," those seem like gaps in their catalogue (not exactly "deep cuts") to me, that your average music streamer is going to find as *unacceptable*.

For me, this is about "the convenience of having so much CD quality and Hi-Rez content readily available," and not about "the convenience of having so much music readily available." It's not a traditional music streaming service (yet, at least). I'm not going to cancel my "other" (more mainstream) service. It's all about the Sound Quality here. I'm probably going to take the 30-day-free-trial on Roon within the next couple months... and that'll let me fill-gaps in this library with my own collection, for an all-in-one interface.
post #42 of 115 Old 02-18-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Listed to the Diana Krall's "Turn Up The Quiet" album in 24/192. Wow.... SJ
Agreed. I used her "Quiet Nights" album as one of my primary A-B comparison tools between Qobuz Hi-Rez and my own HDTracks/7Digital purchases.... to my ears and on my gear, it sounds identical so far. Really n ice.

If you listen to Classical at all, I checked out Julie Fuchs Mademoiselle over the weekend after it popped up on the main Qobuz page as a "new release".... That genre is much more of a Monday-Thursday listen for me than it is a weekend album, but once I put it on, I had a hard time turning it off.... First casting to my living speakers (via chromecast), then off my main headphone rig... now I'm relistening to it in the office at 16/44.1 through my Fostex canz... exceptional sound quality, IMO.
post #43 of 115 Old 02-18-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
What genres of music are this missing a ton of? Rock, pop, rap, R&B, classical, jazz? Or all of the above?
I listen to mostly indie releases. Weirdly, some music I couldn't find two days ago has already been added like Lucy Dacus and some older Deerhunter albums. They just added Deerhunter's Monomania but Halycon Digest is still missing (although their latest two albums are available in HiFi). No Wye Oak which I listen to regularly. No Still Woozy. They seem to be missing a lot of newer single releases too. Like they have Lady Lamb but not her latest single (which Spotify has). It's especially a bummer because when I do find an artist I listen to, they frequently have HiFi versions. For instance they have Angelo De Augustine's latest album in HiFi, which I would not have expected.

Also, every time I use google cast or Airplay, I'm reminded just how good Spotify Connect is. For instance, when I switched from my iPhone to my iPad while google casting in Qobuz, I got that annoying 'music can't be played because it's being played on another device' crap (even though I had stopped playback on the iPhone). This kind of stuff is infuriating and IMO unacceptable in 2019. Meanwhile, Spotify will elegantly notify me that I am playing music on another device (I don't even have to stop playback), and then ask which device I would like to continue playback on. This is how things SHOULD work.
Mike_WI likes this.

Last edited by lockdown571; 02-18-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #44 of 115 Old 02-18-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
I listen to mostly indie releases. Weirdly, some music I couldn't find two days ago has already been added like Lucy Dacus and some older Deerhunter albums. They just added Deerhunter's Monomania but Halycon Digest is still missing (although their latest two albums are available in HiFi). No Wye Oak which I listen to regularly. No Still Woozy. They seem to be missing a lot of newer single releases too. Like they have Lady Lamb but not her latest single (which Spotify has). It's especially a bummer because when I do find an artist I listen to, they frequently have HiFi versions. For instance they have Angelo De Augustine's latest album in HiFi, which I would not have expected.

Also, every time I use google cast or Airplay, I'm reminded just how good Spotify Connect is. For instance, when I switched from my iPhone to my iPad while google casting in Qobuz, I got that annoying 'music can't be played because it's being played on another device' crap (even though I had stopped playback on the iPhone). This kind of stuff is infuriating and IMO unacceptable in 2019. Meanwhile, Spotify will elegantly notify me that I am playing music on another device (I don't even have to stop playback), and then ask which device I would like to continue playback on. This is how things SHOULD work.
I'm in my free trial period (Studio) with Qobuz and agree the UI/UX are not as good as Spotify.
The download isn't necessarily better than HD Tracks. I'm still deciding on subscription. I do like the access to Hi-Res.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #45 of 115 Old 02-18-2019, 09:30 PM

Happy Jazz camper here. Love the curation and suggestions. How can anyone ever listen to lo rez again? To hear an Acoustic Bass actually sound like an Acoustic Bass is turning out to be a great simple pleasure for me. It's been such a long time. Rediscovering some older stuff .Aretha Franklin's "Don't play that song" from "Spirit in the dark" takes me back.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #46 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
Happy Jazz camper here. Love the curation and suggestions. How can anyone ever listen to lo rez again? To hear an Acoustic Bass actually sound like an Acoustic Bass is turning out to be a great simple pleasure for me. It's been such a long time. Rediscovering some older stuff .Aretha Franklin's "Don't play that song" from "Spirit in the dark" takes me back.
What streaming service were you using prior to Qobuz?
post #47 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I sent a question to Qobuz yesterday asking about streaming music that was labeled hi rez, but wasn't, and about their library missing so much music. The response I got is below. The red highlighted area is a huge concern for me. I was under the misconception that Qobuz would be a high rez streaming service but it appears (from their response) that while they do have high rez downloadable music, they don't yet even have hi rez streaming rights to a lot of music. So how do we know they will even get those high rez streaming rights?

I use Tidal streaming so I can explore new music and no longer need to buy CDs. The ONLY reason I would switch to Qobuz was to get high rez versions of most of what I want to listen to.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for contacting us.

We know about an issue where certain albums that are available in Hi-Res for paid download but not streaming are labeled Hi-Res in the streaming service.

We are trying to police and repair those issues, while also trying to get Hi-Res streaming rights for the labels and artists in question.

We are still expanding the catalog and hope to have it complete in the very near future. We are adding thousands of releases every day.

If there some things you are looking for specifically, let us know and we will do our best to prioritize them.

Regards,
Qobuz USA
post #48 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 177
its a new service. Its certainly great as even my fiance prefers it over spotify or tidal.

JBL Array 1400, 880, & 800s on custom sound anchors / Revel C763L x4
Marantz AV8805 / TEAC NT-505 / Oppo 205 / Emotiva XPA DR3 / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3
PSA S1801 x2
Bob Carver Crimson 350 tube monoblocks
JBL Everest DD67000s (awaiting amplification)
post #49 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_that_sound View Post
its a new service. Its certainly great as even my fiance prefers it over spotify or tidal.
I love what Tidal provides as I use their "CD Quality" service. I would switch to Qobuz ONLY to stream high rez but, according to their response, they don't even have the rights to offer streamed versions for a lot of music. Had the response read something like: "We are loading the high rez versions daily' is a completely different response than what is basically: "we don't have the rights to stream high rez versions of the music but we are trying to get those rights". What is the guarantee they will get those rights?

So I'm just curious. What is it you and your fiancé like so much about it other than being able to stream high rez music? For the music that is high rez, I would agree with you, but there is a lot that is not, and apparently no GUARANTEE that it will be.
mbroadus likes this.
post #50 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I love what Tidal provides as I use their "CD Quality" service. I would switch to Qobuz ONLY to stream high rez but, according to their response, they don't even have the rights to offer streamed versions for a lot of music. Had the response read something like: "We are loading the high rez versions daily' is a completely different response than what is basically: "we don't have the rights to stream high rez versions of the music but we are trying to get those rights". What is the guarantee they will get those rights?

So I'm just curious. What is it you and your fiancé like so much about it other than being able to stream high rez music? For the music that is high rez, I would agree with you, but there is a lot that is not, and apparently no GUARANTEE that it will be.
No one here is arguing that the Qobuz library isn't a little nerfed (so far). But of what they do have in their library, most everything that I'd want to listen to in Hi-Rez has been in Hi-Rez. And it sounds great to my ears.

I also think I like the CD-quality streams on Qobuz (if only a little bit) more than on Tidal. And they support CD-quality streaming over a broader list of supported web browsers than Tidal, including Firefox, which I want/need support for when I'm at the office.

Finally, Tidal really botched their "plex integration;" the decision to not support Google Cast from within the Plex app, combined with the lack of support for CD-quality streaming over Firefox, both were dealbreakers for me.

Head-to-head, qobuz is a clear winner (for me).
post #51 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

well, we play hires nearly exclusively. A bigger selection doesn't necessarily mean better. Short of Garth Brooks we have yet to stumble upon an album or track missing from Qobuz.

JBL Array 1400, 880, & 800s on custom sound anchors / Revel C763L x4
Marantz AV8805 / TEAC NT-505 / Oppo 205 / Emotiva XPA DR3 / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3
PSA S1801 x2
Bob Carver Crimson 350 tube monoblocks
JBL Everest DD67000s (awaiting amplification)
post #52 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_that_sound View Post
well, we play hires nearly exclusively. A bigger selection doesn't necessarily mean better. Short of Garth Brooks we have yet to stumble upon an album or track missing from Qobuz.
That is sure not the case for me. I am now beginning to wonder if the Roon implementation of Qobuz is somehow crippled? I will do some spot checking.
post #53 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:

Not all content is available in high res, regardless of the service. Although Tidal has a lot of MQA, most of their library is not available in MQA.
post #54 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody made any purchases yet through the Qobuz download store?

- Are purchases available for download multiple times (similar to 7Digital; not like HDTracks)?

- Do purchases made at Hi Rez stream through Qobuz at Hi-Rez, regardless of streaming subscription tier (for example: If you opt for the 16/44.1 "CD" stream, will a HiRez purchase made from the download store play back at HiRez through the Qobuz app)?
post #55 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I received another response from Qobuz:

Quote:
Hi Chuck

Thanks for your feedback. The rights are controlled by the record labels and rights holders. We, like the other streaming services, need their permission for different delivery options (ie streaming + downloading).

We will be offering all the Hi-Res that is available to our users (ie all the Hi-Res music made available by the rights holders). The rest of our catalog will be at least in CD quality.

Right now we are still completing our catalog (ingesting music from the labels). I can't give you a specific time table. But I can tell you it will be very soon.

Regards,
Qobuz USA
I have cancelled my Tidal subscription. Signed up for Qobuz for a year to see how it goes. Their high rez stuff is terrific.
post #56 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 533
For those of you with Roon, are you finding any differences between Tidal and Qoobuz when it comes to music searches, performance, sound quality, etc etc?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #57 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
For those of you with Roon, are you finding any differences between Tidal and Qoobuz when it comes to music searches, performance, sound quality, etc etc?
I refuse to buy into the MQA nonsense so therefore Qobuz has REAL high rez music while Tidal does not. As of this moment, Tidal's library is larger but Qobuz is working at getting more material.

And best of all, each time I go to the Qobuz section, I don't have music by JayZ and his buddies thrown in my face.
SJHT and Mike_WI like this.
post #58 of 115 Old 02-19-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
What streaming service were you using prior to Qobuz?
Tidal

post #59 of 115 Old 02-20-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
I refuse to buy into the MQA nonsense so therefore Qobuz has REAL high rez music while Tidal does not. As of this moment, Tidal's library is larger but Qobuz is working at getting more material.

And best of all, each time I go to the Qobuz section, I don't have music by JayZ and his buddies thrown in my face.
I’m with you. Also, all the discussions about first unfold, etc. Just give me the high rez file and let me play it! I never looked at any of the JayZ and buddies stuff including videos. SJ
post #60 of 115 Old 02-20-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:
I’m with you. Also, all the discussions about first unfold, etc. Just give me the high rez file and let me play it! I never looked at any of the JayZ and buddies stuff including videos. SJ
Pros and cons to each service IMO. Qobuz doesn't rely on MQA, and so therefore no proprietary equipment is needed. However their price is higher @25 per month and the high res library is currently smaller.

I'm going to wait for Qobuz to increase their high res library before signing up for a trial. They claim that it won't take long but who knows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page