Locast is a Nonprofit that Offers Free Local TV Streaming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 11-05-2018, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16173
Locast is a Nonprofit that Offers Free Local TV Streaming

Can an upstart nonprofit called Locast succeed where the now defunct Aereo service failed and find a way to deliver local TV broadcasts over the Internet without incurring the wrath of the federal government, not to mention Comcast?

Click this link to read more: https://www.avsforum.com/locast-nonp...-tv-streaming/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 11-05-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Have been using them for a few weeks now. Believe they're using a FCC loophole to rebroadcast as a non-profit, free service. Decent HD quality; not quite on par w/DirecTV Now, which I also have, but good enough. There's a Kodi add-on that makes it easy to watch if you have Kodi on an Android TV box, Apple TV, Fire TV or a LibreELEC/CoreELEC box. I had e-mailed the company last week, and they mentioned they're working on both Fire TV and Apple TV apps for end of year release.
nathanddrews likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3 of 47 Old 11-05-2018, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I have been using them for a while. The PQ is quite good for streaming. I hope they succeed and start to offer additional cities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 11-05-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Loaded on my Roku. I really like it. Even though I still prefer my HD antenna feeds (I get way more Boston area channels with cleaner pic). But this is a great backstop for frequently watched local stations.
post #5 of 47 Old 11-05-2018, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does this service stream the primary local networks or does it stream secondary channels such as METV,
Antenna TV, and others

Display 55" XBR 900 E
Video. Samsung K8500 4K Player
Audio TBD
Remote Harmony 700
post #6 of 47 Old 11-05-2018, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrushian View Post
Does this service stream the primary local networks or does it stream secondary channels such as METV,
Antenna TV, and others
It only pulls the primary ones in on my Roku.
post #7 of 47 Old 11-05-2018, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Antenna TV, and others
Primary local networks and some additional channels seems to be the deal. You can click into each city on the site and see the schedule/channels.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 47 Old 11-05-2018, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I've spent so much on the ability to watch "Free" OTA tv in my basement and finally, in all of about 1 minute, I'm watching Channel 2 in my basement. Thanks for posting this. I can't wait for ATSC 3.0. Bring it now!
imagic likes this.

Media Room - Sonus Faber Sonetto V, Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Prime Elevation speakers, Marantz SR6011, Rotel RMB1585, Panamax MR5100, LG OLED 65" B7
Basement Media Room - Martin Logan 60XT, Martin Logan LX16s surround, Rythmik FV15HP, SVS PC12+, Denon X3400H, Epson 5040UB, Silver Ticket 110" AT screen
post #9 of 47 Old 11-06-2018, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Thank you a million times for posting this!!! I just moved and can't receive any of the Boston locals. Cable company wanted $30.

I don't expect this to last but I'll use it while I can.
imagic likes this.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #10 of 47 Old 11-06-2018, 06:41 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5962 Post(s)
Liked: 5535
creative challenge, list all the ways somebody in another city can make their home computer appear to be in one of the covered cities.
imagic and BiggAW like this.
post #11 of 47 Old 11-06-2018, 09:57 AM

I don't watch a lot of live TV anymore so all I really wanted OTA for was the local News, and PBS- everything else you can stream online now, so I just couldn't bring myself to spend $30/mo for the locals.

post #12 of 47 Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
creative challenge, list all the ways somebody in another city can make their home computer appear to be in one of the covered cities.
Use a VPN. Just need to make sure the VPN you use is using servers that work with your other services like Netflix, amazon, directvnow, or whatever. I use a vpn. (Not to get around tv - I use it to keep my internet traffic encrypted for work, banking, etc.). My vpn has numerous servers all around the country. Some servers work with all my streaming tv, netflix, etc. Some don't. I have to find the right server depending.

For some, if you use a vpn, you might be able to set up the vpn for locast and don't use the vpn for regular streaming like netflix, directvnow, etc. I may do some experimenting tonight with it. I also have a few roku's sitting around. I can leave my normal one connected for directvnow, netflix, etc. WITHOUT a vpn; and set up a second Roku using the vpn just for Locast. I'll have to see.

I am interested, because DirectvNow does not offer me local channels. And OTA with an antenna is an indoor antenna and isn't great. But mainly, when using an OTA antenna, there is no streaming guide.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #13 of 47 Old 11-06-2018, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
It only pulls the primary ones in on my Roku.

Why chew up my internet data cap in which my mom and pop cable tv company are not generous. there are other solutions out there like dvr's with antenna connections etc. The indoor antenna's range has improved over the years. This might be a plus for people out in the boonies.
post #14 of 47 Old 11-07-2018, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Locast doesn't have a lot of cities to choose from. So I had to try many different servers on my VPN connection. But eventually i was able to log in and watch the Locast Denver connection with my Denver VPN connection. Not sure if I'll watch it much however. I don't get locals with DirectvNow, but of the numerous Denver channels on Locast, only about 6 are worth watching. And my local OTA antenna gives me basically the same 6. ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, MeTV. The advantage of Locast "FOR ME" is that I have a guide now for the channels to see what's on in the hours to come and what the episodes are about. With OTA, there's no guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Use a VPN. Just need to make sure the VPN you use is using servers that work with your other services like Netflix, amazon, directvnow, or whatever. I use a vpn. (Not to get around tv - I use it to keep my internet traffic encrypted for work, banking, etc.). My vpn has numerous servers all around the country. Some servers work with all my streaming tv, netflix, etc. Some don't. I have to find the right server depending.

For some, if you use a vpn, you might be able to set up the vpn for locast and don't use the vpn for regular streaming like netflix, directvnow, etc. I may do some experimenting tonight with it. I also have a few roku's sitting around. I can leave my normal one connected for directvnow, netflix, etc. WITHOUT a vpn; and set up a second Roku using the vpn just for Locast. I'll have to see.

I am interested, because DirectvNow does not offer me local channels. And OTA with an antenna is an indoor antenna and isn't great. But mainly, when using an OTA antenna, there is no streaming guide.

Michael

post #15 of 47 Old 11-07-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Quote:
Antenna TV, and others
MeTV is working here in the Philadelphia area.
post #16 of 47 Old 11-07-2018, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondey99 View Post
Why chew up my internet data cap in which my mom and pop cable tv company are not generous. there are other solutions out there like dvr's with antenna connections etc. The indoor antenna's range has improved over the years. This might be a plus for people out in the boonies.
Or someone who wants a live TV feed on their phone real quick, for whatever reason (catch the end of a big game is usually the main reason).

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #17 of 47 Old 11-07-2018, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Or someone who wants a live TV feed on their phone real quick, for whatever reason (catch the end of a big game is usually the main reason).
I would probably do it myself if my cable company weren't cheap in the monthly data cap and believe it or not, it's not comcast.

I do have this posted in another thread with no responses yet.

I have a non-smart tv. With only 2 hdmi ports and in use. I would like to know the best way to watch ota recordings.
content. Thank you.
post #18 of 47 Old 11-07-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:

I am in the Hartford-New Haven DMA but within the NYC SV area. Their site itself only goes by DMA, not SV, so I VPN'ed through Secaucus, NJ, and I got one step farther, but then it said I was out of market, so it appears that they are playing whac-a-mole with VPNs. I've seen several other sites that don't work with VPNs at all, like flysouthwest.com (must be a TSA/DHS thing).
post #19 of 47 Old 11-07-2018, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
You can edit the Geolocation in Chrome settings under 'Sensors'. For example 41.88 latitude and -87.61 longitude will get you the Chicago networks.
imagic and BiggAW like this.
post #20 of 47 Old 11-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
I am in the Hartford-New Haven DMA but within the NYC SV area. Their site itself only goes by DMA, not SV, so I VPN'ed through Secaucus, NJ, and I got one step farther, but then it said I was out of market, so it appears that they are playing whac-a-mole with VPNs. I've seen several other sites that don't work with VPNs at all, like flysouthwest.com (must be a TSA/DHS thing).
Yea, I tried my New York and New Jersey VPN's. Netflix and DirectvNow worked, but Locast wouldn't work. I tried everything around the New York area. But my Denver VPN worked fine with the Locast Denver site.

Michael

post #21 of 47 Old 11-07-2018, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDChawk5 View Post
You can edit the Geolocation in Chrome settings under 'Sensors'. For example 41.88 latitude and -87.61 longitude will get you the Chicago networks.
How does that work? My IP still traces back to my approximate location, i.e. where my headend is located within hsd1.ct.comcast.net.

Quote:
Yea, I tried my New York and New Jersey VPN's. Netflix and DirectvNow worked, but Locast wouldn't work. I tried everything around the New York area. But my Denver VPN worked fine with the Locast Denver site.
Interesting. Sounds like they missed a mole...
post #22 of 47 Old 11-08-2018, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by megametaman View Post
I've spent so much on the ability to watch "Free" OTA tv in my basement and finally, in all of about 1 minute, I'm watching Channel 2 in my basement. Thanks for posting this. I can't wait for ATSC 3.0. Bring it now!
I'm waiting on ATSC 3.0, too. An antenna in my attic and a KitzTech amp were required for me to get OTA reliably even though I am within 5-miles, LOS, of the broadcasting towers. I live in a valley which presents multipath reflection problems. It was a major PITA to get the reception, but was well worth it, IMO.

When ATSC 3.0 is adopted, it should help services like this since ATSC 3.0 is IP based - meaning that if the station wants to, it could provide their data stream to such a service.

I just switch to a wireless data provider, and every site I go to thinks I live near Boston, so I just might check this out. The only thing that would keep me from using this is the lack of DVR capabilities - which I have through HD HomeRun OTA tuners and Media Portal.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
post #23 of 47 Old 11-08-2018, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 336
What’s the deal with sports? Can I still watch the local Fox/CBS/NBC games that are on at 1:00 and 4:00? I’m about 2 1/2 west of Philly, so my locals tend to give me Eagles games and Steelers games. This would be the big selling point for me.

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300, Adcom GFA 5006
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut).
PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
post #24 of 47 Old 02-01-2019, 09:19 AM

Looks like it's the beginning of the end. They now run ads constantly asking for donations and stop streaming after a few minutes requiring you to refresh the stream to get it going again.

Good luck watching the Superbowl this Sunday.

Knew it was too good to last.

Last edited by DaveFi; 02-01-2019 at 09:32 AM.
post #25 of 47 Old 02-01-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Think it's still working... did you click the register link?

But, yes, I wouldn't could on this for Super Bowl. There was loading circle of death during both the Rams/Saints & Patriots/Chiefs games.

If you have Amazon Fire TV, using this app is another way to access Locast. No DVR fee unless you opt in to that. Use of app itself is free.

Last edited by Brajesh; 02-01-2019 at 01:00 PM.
post #26 of 47 Old 02-01-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, @DaveFi , looks like you're right... getting donation request every 10mins. Need to exit & go back to resume .

post #27 of 47 Old 02-01-2019, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Looks like it's the beginning of the end. They now run ads constantly asking for donations and stop streaming after a few minutes requiring you to refresh the stream to get it going again.

Good luck watching the Superbowl this Sunday.

Knew it was too good to last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Okay, @DaveFi , looks like you're right... getting donation request every 10mins. Need to exit & go back to resume .
Oh yuck that's really a shame, c'est la vie.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #28 of 47 Old 02-01-2019, 10:23 PM

You need to "donate" in order to get rid of the ads (even $1). Not sure how that doesn't make this a paid service, but seeing as I have no other options I have no choice.

Seems a bit like extortion. Not sure how long it's going to last.

post #29 of 47 Old 02-02-2019, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
You need to "donate" in order to get rid of the ads (even $1). Not sure how that doesn't make this a paid service, but seeing as I have no other options I have no choice.

Seems a bit like extortion. Not sure how long it's going to last.
Well if a buck does the trick it's pretty mild extortion.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #30 of 47 Old 02-02-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In-depth write-up on NYT about them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement