Disney Names its Streaming Service Disney+ - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 11-13-2018, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The more the streaming market fragments, the less money I will spend on these services.

If these clowns really think that I will shell out monthly subscriptions that add up to the lease price of a new car for all these different services, they are mistaken. Amazon Prime/Netflix/Roku/HBO/YouTube/iTunes/Hulu/Sling/Google Play/and the list goes on on and ...

They all want around $10/month or more, which adds up to more than cable used to cost, all offering different content, different apps, different quality, etc.

The same happened to PC gaming. First Steam created a platform and now every major games company thinks they need to get a bigger part of the pie and started their own service, some removing their content from Steam. At least these are not subscription based, but they still all require their own clients/user interfaces/licensing agreements/etc.

I'm not dumb or rich enough to subscribe to all of these things, and Disney has very limited appeal if you don't have kids. Anything beyond the original Star Wars is terrible anyway (Rogue One being the exception), so I don't think I'll miss anything in the future by not having Disney+ ...
sddp and Bruce2019 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 11-13-2018, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTxGuy View Post
The more the streaming market fragments, the less money I will spend on these services.

If these clowns really think that I will shell out monthly subscriptions that add up to the lease price of a new car for all these different services, they are mistaken. Amazon Prime/Netflix/Roku/HBO/YouTube/iTunes/Hulu/Sling/Google Play/and the list goes on on and ...

They all want around $10/month or more, which adds up to more than cable used to cost, all offering different content, different apps, different quality, etc.

The same happened to PC gaming. First Steam created a platform and now every major games company thinks they need to get a bigger part of the pie and started their own service, some removing their content from Steam. At least these are not subscription based, but they still all require their own clients/user interfaces/licensing agreements/etc.

I'm not dumb or rich enough to subscribe to all of these things, and Disney has very limited appeal if you don't have kids. Anything beyond the original Star Wars is terrible anyway (Rogue One being the exception), so I don't think I'll miss anything in the future by not having Disney+ ...

I agree %100!
It's getting stupid, dumb, and retarded at this point. It's not just paying for 10 different services, but its like okay I want to watch this, oh wait, I have to open app so and so, Okay now I want to watch that. okay I have open this other app, and on and on

I feel one of the major reasons NF became so successful, is that for a time it was the most all inclusive, commercial free, awesome quality across all platforms. Then, it was %10 less, then another %5 here since so an so pulled out, then %15 less, Now with Disney pulling out, that will take a huge % of their media. It gets annoying at some point.

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
post #33 of 47 Old 11-13-2018, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnak View Post
I am more concerned about the Disney movies I actually purchased on Google Play. Hopefully those do not disappear when this service starts.

I've never bought a movie on Google Play so I don't know how it works but unless you can download a full size video file to permanently store on your computer then you didn't 'purchase' anything...

Physical media or something I can fully download is the only way I'll go.

You shouldn't have to fear that a movie you 'purchased' will disappear. Actually it shouldn't even be legal for that to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 Old 11-14-2018, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
I've never bought a movie on Google Play so I don't know how it works but unless you can download a full size video file to permanently store on your computer then you didn't 'purchase' anything...

You shouldn't have to fear that a movie you 'purchased' will disappear. Actually it shouldn't even be legal for that to happen.
It's all very confusing. I "own" hundreds of streaming movies -- started out converting my physical media using VuDu. For a while, they had a deal where you could move a movie online for streaming for $1 for a DVD, $2 for a BluRay, or a couple of dollars more to upgrade a DVD to BluRay quality online (they call it HDX, and I find it's quite good). VuDu and FandangoNow are members of the Ultraviolet consortium, which actually stores the licenses for the streaming movies and allows one to watch on any streaming service that's a member. So I "upgraded" all of of my qualifying physical media (nearly everything except Disney titles qualified for conversion online) and donated the physical media to the Children's Hospital (where appropriate) and the library. I also occasionally bought movies on sale from FandangoNow (good deals when they started up), iTunes, and GooglePlay. It's a pain to keep track of what titles are on which service.

Then "MoviesAnywhere" came along, and many of the titles I "own" appeared in that as well as I "connected" each of the member services: VuDu, FandangoNow, AmazonVideo, GooglePlay, and iTunes. The only ones that didn't cross over are Paramount and Lionsgate titles and those are in Ultraviolet, although some titles are service-specific and still don't show up anywhere else. And some movies not part of MoviesAnywhere (Paramount, Lionsgate, some smaller studios) purchased on services that aren't part of Ultraviolet (like iTunes, GooglePlay, Amazon) are only on the service where they were purchased. So the Paramount Star Trek 1-10 movies, which I bought as a package for $20 on sale on iTunes are only in iTunes, at least until Paramount joins MoviesAnywhere. I do like buying movies on iTunes because 1) I suspect that service, along with VuDu, owned by Walmart) will be around for a long time; and 2) they offer 4K for the same price as VuDu's 1080p HDX and I found that for MoviesAnywhere titles, the licenses usually transfer. They've also pledged to automatically upgrade any HD purchases to 4K if/when a 4K version of a title becomes available. I suspect the automatic upgraded titles won't transfer though. Also VuDu 4K purchases do seem to appear as 4K in iTunes.

It's all very confusing. And I don't know how my heirs will deal with this "property" or if they'll even know it exists. Hopefully that won't be a problem for a very long time.

Finally, I have some of my own movies on a Plex server, which is fantastic, BTW.

So it's a pain to figure out what movies are where, and movies that appear in more than one service at which quality -- need to use a spreadsheet. In the past, I used "MyMovies" (mymovies.dk) to keep track of physical media -- maybe it now lets one track "virtual movies" on these services. Really need a content aggregator. If Paramount/Lionsgate join MoviesAnywhere, and Ultraviolet is absorbed into MoviesAnywhere, things will be a lot better. MoviesAnywhere started out as "DisneyMoviesAnywhere" and was opened up, so there's hope that it will survive (you can stream movies from there as well).

I would be interested if anyone has done a quality comparison of the various streaming services on various apps. That would be VuDu, MoviesAnywhere, GooglePlay, AmazonVideo, FandangoNow, iTunes (only on AppleTV). I usually stick to iTunes and VuDu and find both excellent on my Sony 940D and LG 2016 E-series OLED -- but I use AppleTV 4K on both for streaming (built-in apps get out of date and crash too much on the Sony and LG doesn't support HBO-GO).
Bruce2019 likes this.

Last edited by InvaderZim; 11-14-2018 at 05:26 AM.
post #35 of 47 Old 11-14-2018, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Personally I never purchased any digital video content.. Own not many blu rays and switched to Netflix heavy using..

But I use Netflix only from time to time (subscribe for a month or 2, binge watch) no need for paying a full year.. So for what I get, it is damn cheap..

2019 and the next years will be death match of companies fighting for the online streaming and video revenue.. There is tons of money to make, and these companies also have to compensate decreasing disc sales and nothing but to fight for a good position in the future video revenue..

Whenever I see blu rays at good prices at retail I think: Hey.. thats on Netflix, that too.. that was just added to netflix.. 5 Blu Rays.. 40 Euros.. Hell no..

Netflix is a giant and shaked the entire video market the hard way..

This is not about quick revenue.. this is about the next 5, 10 years.. who will dominate video content distribution.. They are afraid that Netflix is so huge, that Netflix can dictate pricing, and not the owners of the film content.. But I think it is too late.. younger generation they only have netflix.. they would never purchase disney +.. So I really hope those studios get but hurt and realise how big Netlix is already.. I support netflix..

Personally I already quit amazon prime, because they have introduced amazon filmtastic.. They basically put all the good movies out of prime, put them into filmtastic and want 4 Euros a month extra.. Behind this is not amazon, but the publishers charging more money from amazon..

Panasonic 42inch ST60 owner
Panasonic 42inch S10 ES (Europe/Silver) owner

Last edited by Bruce2019; 11-14-2018 at 06:16 AM.
post #36 of 47 Old 11-14-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
Personally I never purchased any digital video content.. Own not many blu rays and switched to Netflix heavy using..

But I use Netflix only from time to time (subscribe for a month or 2, binge watch) no need for paying a full year.. So for what I get, it is damn cheap..

2019 and the next years will be death match of companies fighting for the online streaming and video revenue.. There is tons of money to make, and these companies also have to compensate decreasing disc sales and nothing but to fight for a good position in the future video revenue..

Whenever I see blu rays at good prices at retail I think: Hey.. thats on Netflix, that too.. that was just added to netflix.. 5 Blu Rays.. 40 Euros.. Hell no..

Netflix is a giant and shaked the entire video market the hard way..

This is not about quick revenue.. this is about the next 5, 10 years.. who will dominate video content distribution.. They are afraid that Netflix is so huge, that Netflix can dictate pricing, and not the owners of the film content.. But I think it is too late.. younger generation they only have netflix.. they would never purchase disney +.. So I really hope those studios get but hurt and realise how big Netlix is already.. I support netflix..

Personally I already quit amazon prime, because they have introduced amazon filmtastic.. They basically put all the good movies out of prime, put them into filmtastic and want 4 Euros a month extra.. Behind this is not amazon, but the publishers charging more money from amazon..
Amazon Filmtastic must be something for Europe. I haven't seen any changes in the US.

And you're right about Netflix -- I've been tricked a few times into buying a HD movie online for a really low price ($5 or less) only to find it appearing in Netflix or Amazon Prime Video shortly afterwards. "The Endless" is a recent example (great movie, BTW). But then again, movies leave the streaming services too, like all the Disney content leaving Netflix next year (or maybe they're just not adding new content).
Bruce2019 likes this.

post #37 of 47 Old 11-14-2018, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

I had read an article recently that iTunes users were noticing that movies they paid for, in full, had disappeared from their libraries. When they asked Apple about it, Apple said something along the lines of the licensing expiring, and here's a free movie rental for your trouble.

I assume Google would be subject to the same licensing restrictions.

Many (not all) of the movies on my Google account are from the combo Blu-Ray/digital copy deal. But it would still be irritating to lose movies I've paid for.

Actually, I went back and read the article again and there is an edit that states the issue was regional restriction (Australia vs. Canada) so maybe this isn't as big an issue as I had thought. Here's the article for anyone interested:

https://theoutline.com/post/6167/app...=1&zi=ivduy4nv
post #38 of 47 Old 11-14-2018, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTxGuy View Post

Agreed. It's getting absolutely absurd. However, I keep my spending in check by pretty much paying for the service I'm watching a particular show on, so I bounce around. Thankfully, most of the services let you easily "pause" your subscription. Hulu seems to be the easiest for that.

So, I bounce around between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime (which I have anyway I suppose), HBO, and YouTube Premium (which I get free with Google Music Play). The fragmentation is indeed annoying as all get out, but it's helped when I focus on finishing one series or another. Game of Thrones season just wrapped up? Time to put everything else on hold and do a month of HBO. Walking Dead season just came out on Netflix? Back to Netflix! Beginning of summer, so no new current TV content? Time to put Hulu on hold and go catch up on some Amazon Prime shows.

Yeah, it's a pain, but it keeps my subscription spending to a minimum and still remains FAR cheaper than cable/sat TV. For movies I REALLY want to watch, I still purchase those either on disc, but mostly on Kaleidescape these days. Especially for ones I know I'll be re-watching time and time again. Nice to still have my expansive Disney library no matter the licensing games all these studios and streaming services like to play.
Bruce2019 likes this.
post #39 of 47 Old 11-14-2018, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 273
It also effects tv broadcast..

One example: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is very popular in europe and gets broadcasted every year at various tv channels.. Not this year.. also not on prime or netflix.. Nope.. Same with The Grinch.. played every year around christmas.. not this year.. You have to pay..

This is for sure not a coincidence.

Panasonic 42inch ST60 owner
Panasonic 42inch S10 ES (Europe/Silver) owner
post #40 of 47 Old 11-14-2018, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
It also effects tv broadcast..

One example: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is very popular in europe and gets broadcasted every year at various tv channels.. Not this year.. also not on prime or netflix.. Nope.. Same with The Grinch.. played every year around christmas.. not this year.. You have to pay..

This is for sure not a coincidence.
WHAT?! That's a travesty. An annual Christmas tradition! Glad I saw the writing on the walls a couple years back on that one and have created a Christmas script (on Kaleidescape of course, but you could probably do something similar with Plex) where I just hit play on it, and I can have my favorite holiday movies playing across all my movies at the same time. It's pretty sweet. I run my own marathons... no commercials either. The family loves it. Best part of it is that the TV networks, streamers, and studios can't take it away on a whim.
post #41 of 47 Old 04-12-2019, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Disney+ launching on November 12 for $7/month with 4K HDR content

Disney has unveiled details on its upcoming Disney+ streaming service that will launch in the US in November 2019 and shortly after in Western Europe and parts of Asia. Disney+ will cost $7 per month and include content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic - and The Simpsons.

Disney+ unveiled
At the company's Investor Day, it previewed Disney+ and announced that the streaming service will launch on November 12, 2019. It will be priced at $7 dollars per month or $70 dollars per year.

Additionally, the company confirmed that Disney+ will roll out in Western Europe and parts of Asia during the fourth quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2020. It will roll out in Eastern Europe and Latin America from late 2020. The ambition is to bring Disney+ to most of the world within two years. The company projects that it can sign up 60-90 million subscribers by the end of fiscal year 2024, two-thirds of those outside of the US. Pricing details for other parts of the world were not announced.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1555048013

My setup:
Spoiler!
post #42 of 47 Old 04-12-2019, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Disney+ launching on November 12 for $7/month with 4K HDR content

Disney has unveiled details on its upcoming Disney+ streaming service that will launch in the US in November 2019 and shortly after in Western Europe and parts of Asia. Disney+ will cost $7 per month and include content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic - and The Simpsons.

Disney+ unveiled
At the company's Investor Day, it previewed Disney+ and announced that the streaming service will launch on November 12, 2019. It will be priced at $7 dollars per month or $70 dollars per year.

Additionally, the company confirmed that Disney+ will roll out in Western Europe and parts of Asia during the fourth quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2020. It will roll out in Eastern Europe and Latin America from late 2020. The ambition is to bring Disney+ to most of the world within two years. The company projects that it can sign up 60-90 million subscribers by the end of fiscal year 2024, two-thirds of those outside of the US. Pricing details for other parts of the world were not announced.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1555048013
I have to say that is a very impressive presentation for Disney+. The cost is reasonable and content is wide and varied. I can't believe that the $7.00 per month price will hold for more than a year, though. I think that it makes the recent Apple presentation of their upcoming streaming service look rather anemic.
aaronwt and dfa973 like this.
post #43 of 47 Old 04-12-2019, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked: 696
The biggest question unless it’s been answered is what happens to previous movies anywhere Disney movies on vudu, etc. and will we be forced to redeem and watch future digital codes from physical copies on their platform?
post #44 of 47 Old 04-12-2019, 04:39 AM

Disney+ 4K content

This sounds really good, and even fantastic if the $7 price point includes 4K content. Netflix charges significantly extra for that.

But... this will certainly put a dent in sales. Apple and VuDu charge $19.99 to purchase Disney and Marvel movies in 2k. Apple doesn't even sell 4k Disney films (presumably license-related) and Vudu charges $5 more. Plus there's the loss of the Netflix revenue stream. Presumably they figured Disney would somehow, eventually come out ahead.

post #45 of 47 Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
The biggest question unless it’s been answered is what happens to previous movies anywhere Disney movies on vudu, etc. and will we be forced to redeem and watch future digital codes from physical copies on their platform?
I'd assume Disney will stay part of "Movies Anywhere" -- after all, it started out as "Disney Movies Anywhere" and they're part-owners. With Ultraviolet's demise, the movies stay with the linked services once the lights are turned off -- a copy of each owned movie will supposedly remain in iTunes, Vudu, GooglePlay and presumably Microsoft even when Ultraviolet is no more. They advise to link as many services as possible in case one goes under, you can still access owned movies through other services.

It'll be interesting to see if the Disney+ streaming service will stream owned movies in the Movies Anywhere library, since there may be Disney (or Fox) titles in there that aren't on the service. Seems like Disney wouldn't want you to switch to Vudu or iTunes to watch their movies.
aaronwt likes this.

post #46 of 47 Old 04-12-2019, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Has anyone heard about audio/video specs on this? 4K? HDR? Dolby Digital Plus? Atmos?

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
post #47 of 47 Old 04-12-2019, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Has anyone heard about audio/video specs on this? 4K? HDR? Dolby Digital Plus? Atmos?
4K and HDR are confirmed.

Dolby Digital Plus and Atmos are very probable since are used by the concurrent streaming services.

My setup:
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , disney+ , marvel , Star Wars , streaming service

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page