Disney Names its Streaming Service Disney+ - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 11-08-2018, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8670 Post(s)
Liked: 15154
Disney Names its Streaming Service Disney+

While one has to wonder if the world really needs another streaming service, it's getting one from Disney and the name of the new service is Disney+. The new service has an eponymous web domain that's currently in preview mode, where you can sign up for more info as it becomes available.

http://www.disneyplus.com

Click this link to read more: https://www.avsforum.com/disney-name...ervice-disney/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 11-08-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 11-08-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 692
As seen on Collider

Quote:
Exact details on the price point (Iger previously said it would be less than Netflix), launch date, and more are still to come and Iger promised more information to come at an investor event in April 2019.
imagic likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #3 of 47 Old 11-08-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Although physical media is becoming passé, I will appreciate my extensive collection of Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars discs even more when they pull the Netflix plug.

From the outside looking in, this seems like another Disneyland-Paris-like misadventure.
sddp, psuKinger, aaronwt and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 11-08-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Certainly could use a Heroes for Hire Series !

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #5 of 47 Old 11-08-2018, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Although physical media is becoming passé, I will appreciate my extensive collection of Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars discs even more when they pull the Netflix plug.

From the outside looking in, this seems like another Disneyland-Paris-like misadventure.
It looks more like Disney World in Florida.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #6 of 47 Old 11-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Hopefully the audio will support 5.1 unlike some of its competitors. I am looking at you Hulu.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #7 of 47 Old 11-08-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 282
The big news is:

"a prequel series to the Star Wars movie Road one will be featured on the service"

Oh yeah!
tenthplanet likes this.
post #8 of 47 Old 11-08-2018, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
It’s no secret that Disney planned to launch this service, it was over a year ago that it announced that it would no longer provide movies to Netflix in the year 2019.

I get that this would mean streaming, but does it mean disks too!

Cheers,
psuKinger likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #9 of 47 Old 11-08-2018, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
The big news is:

"a prequel series to the Star Wars movie Road one will be featured on the service"

Oh yeah!
That's what Bob Eager said.

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
post #10 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 746
I've never seen Road One should I watch the prequel first?

In the days of the HD disc format war I was sure whatever side Disney picked would prevail.

Now, Disney seems eager to steer the future of my theater again. First they don't play well with Apple. Any 4K Disney on Apple4K TV ? .. no. Now, they don't play well with Netflix.

I want to read more about this new service but I'm curious... wouldn't a Disney service have to sort of be Disney-ish...? ... Like I don't imagine I'll find Hatchet 3 on there. I guess it's not a direct competitor to services that offer all kinds of programming.

This specialization is scary though. There isn't going to be a single source for streaming (ha ha sorry Netflix) which makes me think someday only what's popular will be available.

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 11-09-2018 at 04:01 AM.
post #11 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
The big news is:

Oh yeah!
lol

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I still prefer to own my licensed physical content rather than lease it at full price at not the same quality with the option to have the plug pulled away from me at anytime.
post #13 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
I still prefer to own my licensed physical content rather than lease it at full price at not the same quality with the option to have the plug pulled away from me at anytime.
That's why I'm not selling my 1200 discs.
(That and they wouldn't net much profit for the effort.)

It's clear the direction of home video is to rent things you most likely already bought at some point.
post #14 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
You pay full price when you stream/lease movies on Netflix/Hulu/etc? I thought we just pay a subscription for access to that content, like we do for access to a swimming pool or gym.

I guess I have to reevaluate my leasing of full price products now that you have r pointed out the error of my ways. /S
Bruce2019 likes this.

Media Room - SVS Ultra Towers, Center, Prime Bookshelf surrounds, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Prime Elevation object speakers, Marantz SR6011, Parasound A23, Panamax MR5100, LG OLED 65" B7
Basement Media Room - 3 x Martin Logan LX16, 2 x Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, SVS PC12+, Denon X3400H, Epson 5040UB, Silver Ticket 110" AT screen
post #15 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by megametaman View Post
You pay full price when you stream/lease movies on Netflix/Hulu/etc? I thought we just pay a subscription for access to that content, like we do for access to a swimming pool or gym.

I guess I have to reevaluate my leasing of full price products now that you have r pointed out the error of my ways. /S
keep your snarky attitude.
AustinTxGuy likes this.
post #16 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
While one has to wonder if the world really needs another streaming service, it's getting one from Disney and the name of the new service is Disney+. The new service has an eponymous web domain that's currently in preview mode, where you can sign up for more info as it becomes available.

http://www.disneyplus.com

Click this link to read more: https://www.avsforum.com/disney-name...ervice-disney/
Mark
I hate it when AVS puts a link in a editor article, I clicked it and it went to some generic monoprice stuff....

Is that out of your control to limit that spammy-mess??
This is how it comes across to me, the word button bold blue ... and I thought you embedded that at first, so clicked it.

The preview of the website features the logos of Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic, which gives a good idea what to expect once it goes live. But for now, there is no set launch date, just a keep me updated button on the preview website.
post #17 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Mark
I hate it when AVS puts a link in a editor article, I clicked it and it went to some generic monoprice stuff....

Is that out of your control to limit that spammy-mess??
This is how it comes across to me, the word button bold blue ... and I thought you embedded that at first, so clicked it.

The preview of the website features the logos of Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic, which gives a good idea what to expect once it goes live. But for now, there is no set launch date, just a keep me updated button on the preview website.
Those links are added automatically.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #18 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
I can imagine some ad agency was paid millions for adding the + to Disney.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #19 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
The balkanization of streaming services was an easy prediction from the start. Every content owner wants to squeeze as much profit from their wares as possible. They'll start with the assumption that their catalog can stand on its own as their exclusive service and the market will bear the price they want to charge for it. I expect the major movie studios -- Paramount, Sony, Universal, etc. -- to all follow suit and offer their content exclusively through their their own subscription services. Netflix will eventually be reduced to their own original catalog and the catalogs of the minor content producers -- for a time being.

Then the reality of the market sets in because people are not going to buy all these separate services -- what people really want is free or close to it. The losers will go back to leasing their catalogs to Netflix or Prime and the winners will collect huge bonuses to reward their brilliant vision. In the end, though, the price of streaming will go up.
biliam1982 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #20 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 845
I just hope Disney can provide the same content for US and Canada.
post #21 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Disney is under strict boycott, so, THANKS BUT NO THANKS!

NAD M17 (processor) + NAD M27 (multichannel amp)
REVEL CONCERTA2 (5.0 speakers) + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (dual subwoofers)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #22 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
I just hope Disney can provide the same content for US and Canada.
Its those quirky distribution rules in Canada. Here in the states we see lots of Canadian shows and movies played. But yours is sorta a protective marketplace eh?

Seriously I hope you can watch nearly everything you want with this Disney+ if it gets off the ground, including their incoming Fox 21st Century titles. for more on that see E.U. Approves Disney-Fox Deal, With Conditions - Variety

Quote:
The Disney-Fox deal is expected to close in the first half of 2019. Disney will take control of a raft of Fox assets, including Fox’s 50% stake in Endemol Shine after sale of the production group stalled, but not the History, Lifetime and the other A&E channels in Europe.

Oppo Beta Group
post #23 of 47 Old 11-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
This specialization is scary though. There isn't going to be a single source for streaming (ha ha sorry Netflix) which makes me think someday only what's popular will be available.
What you are seeing is vertical integration of streaming distribution and content creation. It's something that was bound to happen after the moves Netflix started to make a couple years ago (http://theconversation.com/poised-to...k-its-in-58119). Everybody else has realized they need to transition to the same structure to compete, which is why you've seen Amazon and Youtube both also enter the content creation business with their own exclusive programming. On the other side, Disney's response has been to enter the streaming business, and it's natural that they would pull their library from competitors since the content is ultimately going to be the primary factor for what service people choose to sign up to.
post #24 of 47 Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 706
As I've been observing Netflix lose streaming rights to more and more Disney content over the years, I've been seeing the writing on the walls and knew it was only a matter of time. Personally, I'll be glad to see access to many of those titles opened back up if I so choose to subscribe, but either way it sure makes me happy I purchased my Disney library over the years. Streaming rights come and go, but physical media is in your home to stay. I'm sure the streaming library will actually be pretty expansive, but you better believe they won't hesitate to shove movies back in the "vault" time and time again so they can do ANOTHER re-release with much fanfare, in a constant push to gain new and old subscribers.

If it comes in at a good price (which it should be if the rumors are true) AND they offer access to their classic collection of cartoons like all the Silly Symphonies, then I'll definitely give it a whirl. Give me the old shorts from the 20s through the 60s, along with the fantastic cartoon series from the 80s/90s (think Duck Tales, Gummi Bears, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, etc.) then I will DEFINITELY be in. However, if it's nothing but MCU films and lame pre-teen sitcoms a la Hanna Montana that are so prevalent on Disney Channel these days, then I'm out.

Disney actually has a great opportunity to provide a great service that many would be willing to pay for, but they're going to have to give us the content and user experience to really make it successful. Hopefully it will actually be good. We shall see!
post #25 of 47 Old 11-12-2018, 01:38 PM

Liked: 21
I am more concerned about the Disney movies I actually purchased on Google Play. Hopefully those do not disappear when this service starts.
post #26 of 47 Old 11-12-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnak View Post
I am more concerned about the Disney movies I actually purchased on Google Play. Hopefully those do not disappear when this service starts.
Do yourself a favor use MoviesAnywhere to sync your account to Vudu or iTunes accounts or both. This cross licenses the participating studios and the providers, so you can watch the content on any of them given licensing. Just be aware that not all pass 4K licensing, as Disney UV codes ID it as 4K on a service where another service only offers HD. But with the free movie bonuses when accounts are synced it is a nobrainer to not paint yourself into a corner and the increased provider flexibility.

Additionally you can sync to Microsoft Movies & TV, Fandango, and Prime Video.

Note this is for USA, not Canada.

Oppo Beta Group

Last edited by JohnAV; 11-12-2018 at 04:03 PM.
post #27 of 47 Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The CEO's name is spelled wrong in the article.

My semi-dedicated theater: The EXASCALE CINEMA
post #28 of 47 Old 11-12-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Given the original content that's been announced so far, I'd be in just for that regardless of what from the back catalog is available... assuming a sane monthly price.
aaronwt likes this.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #29 of 47 Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Perhaps we would finally get a real (Hidden) Disney gem:

" The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh "

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #30 of 47 Old 11-13-2018, 07:09 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Note this is for USA, not Canada.

Yep, that's what screws me.

I do seem to remember now that Netflix Canada would continue to carry Disney titles for a while though after Disney+ launches, so maybe our weird rules up here will actually help us out in this case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , disney+ , marvel , Star Wars , streaming service

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page