• 1 Post By Quicksilv3r

post #1 of 3 Old 12-01-2018, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 351
4K FressNAS specs

About 3 months ago I ended up getting ransomware on my personal pc and I “lost” thousands of pics and lost all my movies I had ripped.

It got me thinking of repurposing an old pc consisting of an intel q6600 with 4gb of ram and bought 3x 4TB WD Red Drives.

So I ran with the idea of doing a NAS setup. Something that I have never dabbled into before. So I installed FreeNas 11.2 beta. I’ve been up and running and to elevate getting ransomware on the server, I disconnect the server from my windows 10 pc when I don’t need access to it.

I’ve been ripping my Bluray movies and I have some 4K rips as well. So I have Plex installed.

My 1080p Bluray rips stream/play pretty well across my home network but the 2 4K rips I have struggle with my clients (PS3, Xbox one s, Google Pixel 2 and iPad 2nd gen and Chromecast Ultra and plain 1080p)

I’ve been trying to figure out either A) what kind of specs I need to serve and play 4K rips and B) if the hardware specs are too much in price for me to upgrade, what settings do I need in FreeNas/Plex to just play 4K rips.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
A minimum of at least 8 Gigs of RAM is a requirement to Run Freenas, and if you can, bump up to at least an I5 Processor. When I upgraded my HTPC to a Freenas Server, I was using an AMD Phenom Quad Core Processor with 8 gigs of RAM. It worked great, but AMD Processors are frowned upon by Freenas Developers, so support help may be at a standstill for lower hardware configurations.

I now have an I5 Processor with 8 gigs of RAM. All of my 1:1 Blu Ray and UHD Rips are located on my NAS, and Plex Media Server is also installed. I have an Oppo 203 and Nvidia Shield that are fully capable of Streaming Local Content in 4K HDR10 with no Transcoding. I was able to stream these videos via 5Ghz Wireless AC, but now I have the server connected via Ethernet.
Quicksilv3r likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #3 of 3 Old 12-09-2018, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
A minimum of at least 8 Gigs of RAM is a requirement to Run Freenas, and if you can, bump up to at least an I5 Processor. When I upgraded my HTPC to a Freenas Server, I was using an AMD Phenom Quad Core Processor with 8 gigs of RAM. It worked great, but AMD Processors are frowned upon by Freenas Developers, so support help may be at a standstill for lower hardware configurations.

I now have an I5 Processor with 8 gigs of RAM. All of my 1:1 Blu Ray and UHD Rips are located on my NAS, and Plex Media Server is also installed. I have an Oppo 203 and Nvidia Shield that are fully capable of Streaming Local Content in 4K HDR10 with no Transcoding. I was able to stream these videos via 5Ghz Wireless AC, but now I have the server connected via Ethernet.

Thanks, I’m looking at refurb computers that are i5s with 8gb of ram.

Hopefully have something up and running in the next few weeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
groove93 likes this.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page