Streaming Solution: Upgrade from Oppo 203? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-02-2018, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Streaming Solution: Upgrade from Oppo 203?

I currently use an Oppo 203 primarily for locally streaming my vast mkv file collection (stored on my NAS). It works great for that other than it has a poor UI (folder structure based).

It also doesn't have any Netflix app or any other app.

I only play disc-based bluray playback very seldomly (once a every few months) since as mentioned above it's mostly mkv playback.

So, I'm wondering what would be an upgrade to this device for my uses, that would allow for a great interface and most importantly provide at least the same pristine image quality for mkv file playback I get with the Oppo right now (i.e. I found the Nvidia Shield to be a little "off" compared to the Oppo for picture quality).
I play back on a 138" scope screen so can notice the difference.

Of course, I'd also want it to be able to playback 4K and HDR rips as well, and play any of the HDR & ideally Dolby Vision content on Netflix, Youtube, etc.

What is the best product(s) on the market that ideally does all of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-02-2018, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 358
What else is important to you?
In case you don’t need 3D audio or 3D video I suggest the Apple TV 4K. It’s one of the very few streamer which do support Dolby Vision (iTunes, Netflix, Vudu) and when you use Infuse for local file playback you get awesome picture quality and a great interface as well (HD audio will be converted to PCM, though). The stock player (used by Netflix, Amazon, Plex, etc.) doesn’t offer good quality in terms of chroma upsampling, but so doesn’t the Oppo.
Some drawbacks:
YouTube doesn’t work in 4K
24.000 output is not supported (doesn’t apply to much content)
Actual HDR meta data gets replaced by stock values by infuse (TVOS limitation)
If you have a Sony projector, there are some issues with DV content so that it’s a no go until it’s fixed

Why do you need Dolby Vision, though? You have a projector and none of them supports it.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
In case you don’t need 3D audio or 3D video I suggest the Apple TV 4K. It’s one of the very few streamer which do support Dolby Vision (iTunes, Netflix, Vudu) and when you use Infuse for local file playback you get awesome picture quality and a great interface as well (HD audio will be converted to PCM, though). The stock player (used by Netflix, Amazon, Plex, etc.) doesn’t offer good quality in terms of chroma upsampling, but so doesn’t the Oppo.
Some drawbacks:
If you have a Sony projector, there are some issues with DV content so that it’s a no go until it’s fixed

Why do you need Dolby Vision, though? You have a projector and none of them supports it.
You forgot the deal breaker for me and a lot of other folks around here...

1. NO ATMOS

If Infuse could get that working, I would be the happiest pig in the poke! I have nearly 30TB's of 1:1 MKV's from my UHD collection, of which most have atmos tracks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I said no 3D audio and that HD audio gets converted to PCM, which means what you are referring to.

To be fair, though Atmos via PCM/MAT is indeed possible for streaming services.

Infuse can’t to anything in this regard as they depend on Apple making APIs available. Sadly, they don’t seem to care about this at all.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-02-2018, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
Some drawbacks:

Yes, Atmos would be ideal since I have an Atmos in-ceiling/wall Paradigm speaker setup (9.2.2)

The Oppo of course plays those Atmos tracks now, but they still occupy a small amount of the content I watch, so I mostly just take advantage of output from those ceiling speakers that my Marantz AVR matrix into them.

You are right, I do not need Dolby Vision since I have a projector (JVC X970R).

I have an LG OLED (65B7) upstairs, and I've become so accustomed now to the built-in apps (Amazon Prime, Netflix, Plex) and how the LG just picks up on HDR or Dolby Vision that using my project setup in the basement feels like I'm in the dark ages (pun intended).

I just wondered if something might be available now that beats my usage of the Oppo 203 as my main player/streamer.

Sounds like the AppleTV 4K still has some drawbacks though.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-02-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 402
I’m experimenting with a Shield but I really have my eye on the Vero 4K+.

I’m in the same boat. I have Apple TV 4K I use for most everything and a 203 for local rips. I want something else for the locals. I’m hoping that Vero might be the box. Planning to likely order one tomorrow.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #7 of 14 Old 12-02-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
I just wondered if something might be available now that beats my usage of the Oppo 203 as my main player/streamer.

Sounds like the AppleTV 4K still has some drawbacks though.
Looking for something to replace the Oppo is a fool's errand. Instead you should look for something to add to the Oppo. There's no such thing as a one-box solution. For a box to add internet streaming you should compare the Roku and the AppleTV. If you frequent Amazon Prime streaming, the FireTV 4K Stick is the only good option.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-02-2018, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I've been using the latest aftv stick - DV and lossy atmos from streaming apps (have to sideload vudu, but works when you do. ) it's not perfect, but getting there. It has replaced the shield for most of my streaming now.

To be fair to the original question, I still use the shield as my plex player. Lossless sound, hdr (no dv), and but perfect playback of the mkv and very good ui. OPPO still produces the best image, but the ui for network playback is abysmal, and very temperamental.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
post #9 of 14 Old 12-03-2018, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningbull View Post
I've been using the latest aftv stick - DV and lossy atmos from streaming apps (have to sideload vudu, but works when you do. ) it's not perfect, but getting there. It has replaced the shield for most of my streaming now.

To be fair to the original question, I still use the shield as my plex player. Lossless sound, hdr (no dv), and but perfect playback of the mkv and very good ui. OPPO still produces the best image, but the ui for network playback is abysmal, and very temperamental.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
Yeah, that was my findings when I was using the Shield for a while too in parallel with the Oppo. I basically decided the Oppo had better pq and so sold the Shield.

Now I'm missing having streaming apps on my projector room, so thinking of maybe I should get an ATV4K alongside my Oppo.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-03-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Did you ever experiment with the Shield THROUGH the Oppo 203, and selecting output settings to match the content? This way the Shield is doing as little video processing as possible and the Oppo is doing the bulk of it (mainly 1080p -> 4K scaling which the Shield isn't top-notch at)?

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #11 of 14 Old 12-04-2018, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 402
The impending Shield update is supposed to addresss the open concerns, including new scaling algorithm.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #12 of 14 Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Did you ever experiment with the Shield THROUGH the Oppo 203, and selecting output settings to match the content? This way the Shield is doing as little video processing as possible and the Oppo is doing the bulk of it (mainly 1080p -> 4K scaling which the Shield isn't top-notch at)?
No I didn't and don't own the Shield anymore to experiment.

I'm wondering if I was to go with an Apple TV 4K if running it through the Oppo would yield similar improvements?
post #13 of 14 Old 12-04-2018, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
No I didn't and don't own the Shield anymore to experiment.

I'm wondering if I was to go with an Apple TV 4K if running it through the Oppo would yield similar improvements?
Because of the way the Apple TV 4K handles Atmos (MAT), I believe you will not be able to passthrough this particular version of the format through the Oppo's HDMI Input. HDR10 will Passthrough the Oppo's HDMI In, but not Dolby Vision.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #14 of 14 Old 12-09-2018, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
The impending Shield update is supposed to addresss the open concerns, including new scaling algorithm.

That would be great! Do you know when is that expected? Or could you point me to the source of this info to see exactly what to expect and when? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page