Ubiquiti Products - Hardwired? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MichaelZ

post #1 of 7 Old 12-04-2018, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Ubiquiti Products - Hardwired?

I have a single level home not too large at around 3,300SF. The home is laid out in an “L” shape with one end of the “L” being the MB (master bedroom) and the other end being the HT (home theatre). At the midway point/bend is where our router resides. Being out in the country we have somewhat relatively slow ATT U-Verse service. The ATT router and a 48 port Gig switch is located in a structured media cabinet. From the structured media cabinet, the home is hardwired with Cat6 to each room. Most rooms have multiple Cat6 RJ45 outlets

I have a number of Sonos units throughout the home.

I had been using a router in each the MB and HT configured as APs hardwired back to the 48 port switch. Each Wifi AP is setup with the same name and password.

Everything had been working fine until one day the AP in my HT stopped working. No problem (Ithought), I just went down and spent a bunch of money on a new router, set it up in my HT and got everything working (again, I thought). Until I went to turn on my Sonos system. Nothing connected. At each Sonos location, at least one of them is hardwired back to the 48 port switch. I then went out and purchased another new router/AP for my MB.

I ended up reinstalling all of the Sonos, and to date (several months now) I have had to do a work around by turning off the MB’s router. And I still cannot get all of the previously flawless Sonos connected and working together.

As I had already spent too much time and money, I decided to just have my IT guy come over next week and as I have told him, I just want it FIXED! That means everything working correctly without me having to mess aroundwith it.

He told me that they like to use Ubiquiti products.

So after I started reading through AVS and the Ubiquiti website, well I am still confused, seems like there are some folks that adore the Ubiquiti products all the way to “…all Ubiquiti products are junk”

I still want as many of my different toys (TVs, AVRs, PS3s, Sonos and whatever else) hardwired.
  • Do the Ubiquiti products allow being hardwired back to the main 48 port switch – I assume that would be replaced with an Ubiquiti product?
  • Any Ubiquiti that I should stay away from? I figure now that I am engaging my IT guy, it is going to be his problem!
  • What Ubiquiti products should I be looking at?
  • How do I cover the backyard?
  • How do I cover my shop, which is about 300 feet away with a conduit path to it – I do have access to lots of Cat6 and also fiber (I am a telecom contractor and civil engineer)
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by EricU; 12-04-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-04-2018, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
I have a single level home not too large at around 3,300SF. The home is laid out in an “L” shape with one end of the “L” being the MB (master bedroom) and the other end being the HT (home theatre). At the midway point/bend is where our router resides. Being out in the country we have somewhat relatively slow ATT U-Verse service. The ATT router and a 48 port Gig switch is located in a structured media cabinet. From the structured media cabinet, the home is hardwired with Cat6 to each room. Most rooms have multiple Cat6 RJ45 outlets

I have a number of Sonos units throughout the home.

I had been using a router in each the MB and HT configured as APs hardwired back to the 48 port switch. Each Wifi AP is setup with the same name and password.

Everything had been working fine until one day the AP in my HT stopped working. No problem (Ithought), I just went down and spent a bunch of money on a new router, set it up in my HT and got everything working (again, I thought). Until I went to turn on my Sonos system. Nothing connected. At each Sonos location, at least one of them is hardwired back to the 48 port switch. I then went out and purchased another new router/AP for my MB.

I ended up reinstalling all of the Sonos, and to date (several months now) I have had to do a work around by turning off the MB’s router. And I still cannot get all of the previously flawless Sonos connected and working together.

As I had already spent too much time and money, I decided to just have my IT guy come over next week and as I have told him, I just want it FIXED! That means everything working correctly without me having to mess aroundwith it.

He told me that they like to use Ubiquiti products.

So after I started reading through AVS and the Ubiquiti website, well I am still confused, seems like there are some folks that adore the Ubiquiti products all the way to “…all Ubiquiti products are junk”

I still want as many of my different toys (TVs, AVRs, PS3s, Sonos and whatever else) hardwired.
  • Do the Ubiquiti products allow being hardwired back to the main 48 port switch – I assume that would be replaced with an Ubiquiti product?
  • Any Ubiquiti that I should stay away from? I figure now that I am engaging my IT guy, it is going to be his problem!
  • What Ubiquiti products should I be looking at?
  • How do I cover the backyard?
  • How do I cover my shop, which is about 300 feet away with a conduit path to it – I do have access to lots of Cat6 and also fiber (I am a telecom contractor and civil engineer)
Thanks for any help!
Ubiquity has some really great hardware. My setup is probably not like yours but I have a couple of homes (condo and 2 story house) and the router and wifi devices (depending on your needs) are very reliable. I can watch 4K movies via wifi with no stutter or other issues. I've been using their equipment for about 5 years now and I can't think of anything better for the money.
EricU likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-04-2018, 08:35 PM
sor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I’ve installed a bunch of AP AC Pro devices. They work well. The people who say they are junk are comparing them to full, high dollar enterprise systems. They’re low-mid range when it comes to business class. For small offices and home use they’re probably the best, most cost effective thing you can get.

I’d say stay away from the AmpliFi products. It’s not that they’re bad, but if you are in the market for mesh WiFi there are better solutions. It sounds like you want to go higher end than mesh anyway.

The APs are great. You hard wire them to a switch, any switch is fine but if you buy into the unifi ecosystem you can manage everything with a single control plane if you’re getting fancy and running multiple networks it’s helpful. The APs are powered by the switch. If the switch doesn’t provide Power over Ethernet it’s fine, there are little injector boxes that can go inline.

You also need a separate router. Again, you can do whatever you want. I just have a little PC with two Ethernet ports and Linux on it, but you can get cost effective routers from Ubiquiti or Mikrotik.

My home is three stories, about 8500 sqft and I have three APs. Two on the second floor on either end of the house and one in the basement. I could have done without the basement one, I had full coverage but wanted the higher 5ghz speeds everywhere. It was fine though for streaming YouTube and such.

There is also an LR (long range) variant that might be useful for getting you outside coverage, and actual outdoor APs if you desire. A lot of this comes down to planning placement and understanding where you have or can get hardwired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2018, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 645
I replaced my Netgear r7000 router with a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 + two AP AC Pros. One of the best decisions I ever made.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-05-2018, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have two of the AP AC Pro access points and they perform wonderfully. They easily support streaming of full bitrate Blu-ray rips with lossless soundtracks from my Plex server to an NVIDIA Shield as well as 4K streaming from Amazon and Netflix. I have one on each floor of my house and coverage and signal strength is very good. There are other options available but my experience with these APs has been noting but positive.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2018, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good to hear!

Thanks guys, that is good to hear about the Ubiquiti products as my wife runs all of my company's AR from home and I watch all kinds of movies in the HT! (Really? What's important here!)

I'm just getting ready to start getting back into the whole home automation thing and need to get the internet backbone thing straightened out first.

I saw that one of their 48 port switches even has an SFP card for fiber! That should be perfect to run a line out to my shop.

And I really want to get my all of my Sonos back up and working again.

Last edited by EricU; 12-05-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Old Fat Bald...
post #7 of 7 Old 12-13-2018, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Uniquiti Unifi with PoE (power over ethernet) is worth its weight in gold.

you will need these components at a minimum:
internet gateway
router
PoE switch
wired access points
cloud key (to access it all from the ubiquiti app)

These are rack mountable units and that is recommended.

i would do wired PoE access points for your house. It not only "just" works, its pretty much bulletproof.

Blazar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page